What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 ratings

wittyfan

Referee
Think if we get Raiders v Storm in the G/F .Brisbane and Melbourne will boost G/F ratings because of the Storm factor.Sydney quite happy with the Raiders making it, less so the Roosters.

I don't think we will be breaking any ratings records next Sunday night.

My tip is sub 2 million in the metros.

Yep the SMH have picked up the ratings story too -

Roosters-Storm clash breaks TV ratings records for NRL as AFL grand final flounders

bySam Phillips
September 29, 2019 — 1.43pm

Sydney Roosters' thrilling 14-6 win over Melbourne Storm drew the largest national average audience for a preliminary final in five years.

An average of 1.7 million people tuned in to watch the Roosters earn their ticket to Sunday's grand final for a second straight year, the best figure since 2014 and an increase of 13 per cent on the equivalent match last season.

Canberra's win over Souths on Friday night also drew an average national audience of 1.57 million - up 10 per cent on the same match last year.

The Storm's continued success is paying dividends, too, with 210,000 viewers tuning in from Melbourne on Saturday night. It is the highest non-grand final figure in Melbourne since 2011.

While the NRL enjoyed a ratings bonanza, Richmond's rout of the Greater Western Sydney Giants proved to be catastrophic for the AFL's television audience.

The 89-point thumping did not make for captivating viewing for anyone other than diehard Tigers fans and the ratings told a sorry tale.

Only 2.939 million tuned in to watch Richmond cruise to their second flag in three years - the first AFL grand final to fall short of the three million mark since Geelong beat Collingwood in 2011.

In comparison, 4.3 million people watched the West Coast Eagles beat Collingwood in a thriller this time last year.

Just 991,000 tuned into the AFL grand final in Melbourne. That number is also the lowest since 2011 and 20 per cent lower than the previous worst - 1.24 million in 2015.

With the AFL failing to crack the 3 million mark, Origin I is expected to have the coveted top spot as the highest rating average audience for a television program all year.

wain

Juniors
using figures from tvtonight makes interesting reading.
https://tvtonight.com.au/2019/09/saturday-28-september-2019.html

SYD RATINGS:
399k in Sydney watched the Roosters PF
372k watched GWS in GF. Pretty low rating for the GF, especially with the you-beaut Giants playing :)
More watched the Roosters than the AFL GF.
I hope Melbourne can push for close to that number for the NRL GF next week even without Storm.

BRIS RATINGS:
317k in Brisbane watched the AFL GF. I find that pretty high, and hard to believe that more people watched the AFL in Brisbane than in Adelaide or Perth.
And that the NRL PF (with the Storm) was only watched by 239k in Brisbane. More in Brisbane watching the AFL GF than Storm/Rooster PF?

ADL RATINGS:
On a lighter note,Im also embarrased to say that my town of Adelaide had twice as many people watch Antiques Roadshow than watched the NRL PF.

taipan

Referee
using figures from tvtonight makes interesting reading.
https://tvtonight.com.au/2019/09/saturday-28-september-2019.html

SYD RATINGS:
399k in Sydney watched the Roosters PF
372k watched GWS in GF. Pretty low rating for the GF, especially with the you-beaut Giants playing :)
More watched the Roosters than the AFL GF.
I hope Melbourne can push for close to that number for the NRL GF next week even without Storm.

BRIS RATINGS:
317k in Brisbane watched the AFL GF. I find that pretty high, and hard to believe that more people watched the AFL in Brisbane than in Adelaide or Perth.
And that the NRL PF (with the Storm) was only watched by 239k in Brisbane. More in Brisbane watching the AFL GF than Storm/Rooster PF?

ADL RATINGS:
On a lighter note,Im also embarrased to say that my town of Adelaide had twice as many people watch Antiques Roadshow than watched the NRL PF.

Nah we'll include that.Gus is a bit of an antique.

wittyfan

Referee
BRIS RATINGS:

It doesn't augur well up there for the GF next Sunday.

Melbourne should still pull in okay figures though.

I'm tipping 1.91 million in the metros and 788k in the regionals.

typicalfan

Coach
Brisbane had a major city event that night that clashed with the NRL. There is a good chance that this affected the viewership considerably.

The_Wookie

Bench

HUGE NUMBERS FOR NRL FINALS POINTS TO A MASSIVE GRAND FINAL

Huge audience increases of 15% on traditional platforms across the NRL preliminary finals over the weekend, means this Sunday’s Grand Final has all the makings of an absolute blockbuster, as the Canberra Raiders take on the Sydney Roosters for the Telstra Premiership.

On Friday Night, the 1st Preliminary Final between the Raiders and Rabbitohs attracted a national average audience of 1.568 million people (5 City: 770,000 / Regional: 438,000 / Fox: 360). The Metro average of 770,000 is an increase of 15% for the same match year on year.

On Saturday Night, the 2nd Preliminary Final between the Roosters and Storm drew national average audience of 1.696 million people (5 City: 880,000 / Regional: 450,000 / Fox: 366,000). The Metro average of 880,000 is an increase of 14% for the same match year on year.

Overall, 4.190 million people tuned into Nine’s NRL Finals coverage for Week Three of Finals Footy.

QUOTE FROM NINE’S DIRECTOR OF SPORT, TOM MALONE

The stage is set for a David and Goliath showdown this Sunday. As most of Australia jumps on the Raiders bandwagon, will a record breaking Viking Clap be enough to drive this fairy tale to a happy ending? Or will the Roosters cement their place in history as one of the greatest ever teams with back to back Grand Finals? There’s only one place to see it – live, free and exclusive on Nine’s Wide World of Sports.”

QUOTE FROM NINE’S DIRECTOR OF SALES - SPORT, MATTHEW GRANGER

“What a fantastic audience result for our Finals partners, Sportsbet, Holden, Telstra, McDonalds and Harvey Norman. There is some very limited availability on Grand Final day, so for those clients who don’t want to miss out, move quickly so as to avoid disappointment!”

And Nine’s strategy to acquire all rights across all platforms has been further reinforced by the huge increases in Streaming numbers on 9NOW.

Across both Preliminary Finals, 9NOW recorded 220,000 stream starts (up 126%) for more than 6-Million minutes (up 89%), with an average VPM of 26,000 viewers (up 93%).

Starkers

Bench
There's also the week apart dynamic for both codes this year. The AFL doesn't get a clear run at it but the NRL does. I don't know whether that helps or not, but would prefer to be in the NRL's shoes.
Well it's all set up for the NRL - need a ripper game and we should take out bragging rights in 2019. set up nicely for it, hope we don't f**k it up!

The_Wookie

Bench

NRL ON NINE – WEEKLY WRAP

FINALS WEEK THREE

BROADCAST

• 4.878 million people(Metro: 3.216 / Regional: 1.662m) tuned into the third week of Nine’s Finals Footy content. (National cume reach - week)
  • Friday Night Finals Footy (1st Preliminary Final - Raiders vs Rabbitohs) attracted an average metro audience of 770,000, an increase of 15% to the corresponding game year-on-year
  • Saturday Night Finals Footy (2nd Preliminary Final – Roosters vs Storm) attracted an average metro audience of 880,000, an increase of 14% to the corresponding game year-on-year

STREAMING

• Week three of Nine’s Finals Footy programming on 9Now had 9.2 million LIVE VPM minutes streamed:
  • This is up 87% year-on-year compared to week three of Nine’s Finals Footy in 2018
  • Live average VPM up 84% year-on-year compared to week three of Nine’s Finals Footy in 2018
  • Live VPM streams up 118% year-on-year compared to week three of Nine’s Finals Footy in 2018

DIGITAL

• Total number of WWOS page views for NRL content over the past seven days: 1.914 million views
  • Total NRL video views on WWOS across the past seven days: 512,000 views

SOCIAL

• Cumulative reach for all of Nine’s NRL content on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram over the past seven days: 10.609 million people
  • Cumulative engagements for all of Nine’s NRL content on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram over the past seven days: 3.262 million engagements
  • Combined video views for all of Nine’s content across Facebook, Instagram and Twitter over the past seven days: 6.604 million views

HUGE NUMBERS FOR NRL FINALS POINTS TO A MASSIVE GRAND FINAL

Huge audience increases of 15% on traditional platforms across the NRL preliminary finals over the weekend, means this Sunday’s Grand Final has all the makings of an absolute blockbuster, as the Canberra Raiders take on the Sydney Roosters for the Telstra Premiership.

On Friday Night, the 1st Preliminary Final between the Raiders and Rabbitohs attracted a national average audience of 1.568 million people (5 City: 770,000 / Regional: 438,000 / Fox: 360). The Metro average of 770,000 is an increase of 15% for the same match year on year.

On Saturday Night, the 2nd Preliminary Final between the Roosters and Storm drew national average audience of 1.696 million people (5 City: 880,000 / Regional: 450,000 / Fox: 366,000). The Metro average of 880,000 is an increase of 14% for the same match year on year.

Overall, 4.190 million people tuned into Nine’s NRL Finals coverage for Week Three of Finals Footy.

QUOTE FROM NINE’S DIRECTOR OF SPORT, TOM MALONE

The stage is set for a David and Goliath showdown this Sunday. As most of Australia jumps on the Raiders bandwagon, will a record breaking Viking Clap be enough to drive this fairy tale to a happy ending? Or will the Roosters cement their place in history as one of the greatest ever teams with back to back Grand Finals? There’s only one place to see it – live, free and exclusive on Nine’s Wide World of Sports.”

QUOTE FROM NINE’S DIRECTOR OF SALES - SPORT, MATTHEW GRANGER

“What a fantastic audience result for our Finals partners, Sportsbet, Holden, Telstra, McDonalds and Harvey Norman. There is some very limited availability on Grand Final day, so for those clients who don’t want to miss out, move quickly so as to avoid disappointment!”

And Nine’s strategy to acquire all rights across all platforms has been further reinforced by the huge increases in Streaming numbers on 9NOW.

Across both Preliminary Finals, 9NOW recorded 220,000 stream starts (up 126%) for more than 6-Million minutes (up 89%), with an average VPM of 26,000 viewers (up 93%).
Even though I'm banned from big footy i still look at some of the comments that are posted on there and there is a genuine hate of the midgets with the concessions that they get and also like us a lot posters on on there don't believe the crowd numbers put out by the midgets at times.
I'm sure you would agree with us and some fellow posters on big footy when we say that some home crowd figures given out at times for gws, the suns and the lions are questionable to say the least.