What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

punch - automatic Sinbin

Wests is Best

Juniors
Ok, so a punch (or a slap) these days constitutes an automatic sin bin to the perpetrators.
Some would say its worked for a few years, some would say its made the game soft, as players have resorted to the push and shove. Anyway, I am not here to talk about that.

We have seen a few cases of the sin bin being used in the last few weeks. Has any thought been given to a situation where an all in brawl erupts? I'm talking like an 80's style Manly vs Newtown (81), St George vs Souths (84).
What does a referee do when almost every player throws a punch?

Think it cannot happen?

cooko

Juniors
What is the minimum number of players that a team can play with before they forfeit? Is it 9?

Walt Flanigan

Referee
The players are pretty aware of the rule though. Even big Nelson tried his best not to punch while Taka was trying to throw them.

Chimp

Bench
I guess only those who instigated it, plus any stand outs for making it carry on would get binned.

What I do know is that this stupid rule and thus the removal of the threat of any immediate physical retribution has led to lots more niggle, cheap/sly acts and general bitchy, shithouse behaviour from those players who wouldn't have dared even look an old school hardman in the eye. The game would be so much better if the biff were still allowed.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I am deeply saddened our sport has finally ended up softer than afl. It’s a very dark time in the history of the game.

lazza

Juniors
Should be 5 min cool down sin bin for punches and no suspension as long as it’s 1:1 and not a prowler punch or a king hit. Keep it on the field!

lazza

Juniors
The other problem is that unless you draw attention to it or do a semi retaliation, the refs don’t penalise it. If Taka didn’t retaliate, it would have been play on so the players do need to take a bit of it into their own hands

no name

Coach
The other problem is that unless you draw attention to it or do a semi retaliation, the refs don’t penalise it. If Taka didn’t retaliate, it would have been play on so the players do need to take a bit of it into their own hands
I agree with this.
I reckon players purposely overreact to some of the incidents in order to get it checked and get a penalty and sometimes opponents binned.

Someguy

First Grade

The irony was that NAS was trying to draw attention to the knee raised in to mess up the play the ball.

I think the refs are to blame for many escalations as they simply let to much crap happen, best example the Smith sin bin the week before, ref let the Parra hooker hold him out of the game for a significant amount of time before the incident escalated.

Walpole

Juniors
I guess only those who instigated it, plus any stand outs for making it carry on would get binned.

What I do know is that this stupid rule and thus the removal of the threat of any immediate physical retribution has led to lots more niggle, cheap/sly acts and general bitchy, shithouse behaviour from those players who wouldn't have dared even look an old school hardman in the eye. The game would be so much better if the biff were still allowed.
They just have to change the rule slightly. If a player retaliates and belts someone, have a quick look at the video and if they were reacting to some type of niggle (hands across the face, pulling ears, hair pulling, whatever) then send both players to the bin.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Ok, so a punch (or a slap) these days constitutes an automatic sin bin to the perpetrators.
Some would say its worked for a few years, some would say its made the game soft, as players have resorted to the push and shove. Anyway, I am not here to talk about that.

We have seen a few cases of the sin bin being used in the last few weeks. Has any thought been given to a situation where an all in brawl erupts? I'm talking like an 80's style Manly vs Newtown (81), St George vs Souths (84).
What does a referee do when almost every player throws a punch?

Think it cannot happen?
Send them all to the bin for 10 mins

Mr Spock!

Referee
What's the big deal with the sin bin?

Players regularly went to the sin bin for punching in the 80s and 90s.

lazza

Juniors
The irony was that NAS was trying to draw attention to the knee raised in to mess up the play the ball.

I think the refs are to blame for many escalations as they simply let to much crap happen, best example the Smith sin bin the week before, ref let the Parra hooker hold him out of the game for a significant amount of time before the incident escalated.

The knee to the play the ball is a cam smith special - he always gets away with it.

And the parra holding on if you watch it back, there was a head slam before it. Again, media don’t call that out as much. If that was jwh, different narrative.

I hope cam smith plays on though, more chance of seeing if something bad happen to him - but will prob have more chance of winning another minor premiership!