What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just a Thought - Possibly Already Mentioned

nontime111

Juniors
o
Grand Final Finalists

1999 - Melbourne
2000 - Roosters
2002 - Roosters
2003 - Roosters
2004 - Roosters
2006 - Storm
2007 - Storm
2008 - Storm
2009 - Storm
2010 - Roosters
2012 - Storm
2013 - Roosters
2016 - Storm
2017 - Storm
2018 - Storm & Roosters
2019 - Roosters

20 seasons.
Both clubs combined have made the grand final 17 times.

What a wonderfully diverse comp.
I look forward to the diversity of the next 20 seasons as well.
its a sick sick joke isnt it?
and they think we dont know whats going on , Id love to see a break off comp now, old school ARL v NRL kind of thing...maybe an old nut can do it like a Fatty or a Sterlo... kick out all the idiots like roosters, storm, get rid of them...we dont need them, well have a different competition with fair rules and theyre corporate one can bore people to ours.....

SaintPauli

Juniors
It was mean to and I'd say it has however, the TPA scheme has then tipped the balance in favour of the likes of Broncos, Storm, Roosters and Rabbits.
No doubt they have had the edge on us all. Look at all the minor premierships, grand final appearances and premierships melbourne and roosters have had since 2000. Its ruining our game and diminishing our supporter numbers. The draft, same as AFL will actually give more control to NRL And stop the roosters in particular reducing our game. If you look at afl many teams have won a comp. No dominating team. I'll bet uncle Nick will vigorously oppose the idea.

Last edited:

jak

Bench
Pretty much somes it up.
level-playing-field.jpeg
one of your best

one of your best
Pretty much sums it up, it is an uneven playing field. Supposed to be a salary cap, what a laugh. The two clubs mentioned have been gaming the system for years. Its like the English football premiership, no salary cap, the same four or five clubs dominate it every year, what a bore. Mind you I find soccer boring anyway. It has to be admitted though, that Melbourne and the Roosters must have some astute management, besides having top coaches. Most clubs including the Dragons have rank amateurs at the helm. Could not arrange a piss up in a brewery.

jeffdragon

Bench
Pretty much sums it up, it is an uneven playing field. Supposed to be a salary cap, what a laugh. The two clubs mentioned have been gaming the system for years. Its like the English football premiership, no salary cap, the same four or five clubs dominate it every year, what a bore. Mind you I find soccer boring anyway. It has to be admitted though, that Melbourne and the Roosters must have some astute management, besides having top coaches. Most clubs including the Dragons have rank amateurs at the helm. Could not arrange a piss up in a brewery.

Politis puts money into the nrl .
He and the chooks are protected.
They say Robinson is a top coach .
If he had the titans cattle or a few other teams he'd do jack shit in my opinion .

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Grand Final Finalists

1999 - Melbourne
2000 - Roosters
2002 - Roosters
2003 - Roosters
2004 - Roosters
2006 - Storm
2007 - Storm
2008 - Storm
2009 - Storm
2010 - Roosters
2012 - Storm
2013 - Roosters
2016 - Storm
2017 - Storm
2018 - Storm & Roosters
2019 - Roosters

20 seasons.

I look at that list and see 6 titles from 17 appearances.

Only one word to describe it.

Chokers.

SBD82

Coach
Everyone in here wants to attack the board, but if this thread is any indication, our supporters have the same excuse filled mentality as the club.

The salary cap’s secondary purpose may have been to create a more even comp, but it’s primary purpose was to ensure that poorer clubs didn’t bankrupt themselves trying to compete for signatures with the big clubs.

If we want to be a power in the NRL again, we need to become a big club again. Don’t be jealous. Be better.

SBD82

Coach
no one has ever been able to explain to me why a points system wouldn't reduce rorting and also even out the teams much better than the current dollars based cloak and dagger system does. A points system would be transparent, easily understood and much less prone to paper bags full of cash or boats in the shed. So someone please explain the flaw in a points based system and why it isn't used.
Because you restrict a player, who has dreamed of playing for his local club for his entire career, the option to take unders to stay.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If the NRL banned Bellamy for ruining the game with all those wrestling tactics like chicken wings, rolling pins etc we would be watching a far better game instead they praise the idiot and the standard gets worse by the minute. If Bellamy did this playing any other sport he would have been banned for life.

BLM01

First Grade
Because you restrict a player, who has dreamed of playing for his local club for his entire career, the option to take unders to stay.
There can be loyalty discounts available in point systems. It can work at CRL level

SBD82

Coach
There can be loyalty discounts available in point systems. It can work at CRL level
I’m not talking about loyalty discounts for long serving players. I’m talking about a kid who grew up dreaming of playing for a club, or who has family in the club’s area, and is willing to take less money to play for the club.

Under a points system, that option isn’t available to the player.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
If the NRL banned Bellamy for ruining the game with all those wrestling tactics like chicken wings, rolling pins etc we would be watching a far better game instead they praise the idiot and the standard gets worse by the minute. If Bellamy did this playing any other sport he would have been banned for life.

Very well said, SM.

St Hope

Juniors
Slippery's last post goes to the heart of the problem everyone except the league it self runs the agendas of the game and when they try to right the ship they get lambasted by all and sundry.
Coaches ,players ,former coaches & players the media go after them in our name if things do not suite what they want to happen.
Penalties I will use as a case in point Johns & Gould go on about to many penalties saying the refs should let the game flow but neither says the penalties were not warranted so which ones and when and where do the Refs ignore them.
Apologies in advance for this soapbox moment.
Take the forward pass for 100 odd years if the ball ended up in front of the player passing the ball it was a scrum and sometimes a penalty no arguments all the current commentators lived or played through this interpretation but now the poor Refs have to go to some grey area of was it passed back from the hands ,well FMD isn't the answer the receiving player should stand deeper not let the Refs cop the flak for half arsed rules.
This is only one example of ambiguity or poor rules maybe it should be a forum by itself.
The league wanted a draft system Wests wanted Terry Hill the draft went to court the draft was dead coaches win again and clubs with money win again.
The more the coaches , clubs and media have their say the less influence fans will have and unlike countries with large populations when the fans walk away from league there is not enough others to replenish the dwindling stocks.
Sorry it was so long winded

BLM01

First Grade
I’m not talking about loyalty discounts for long serving players. I’m talking about a kid who grew up dreaming of playing for a club, or who has family in the club’s area, and is willing to take less money to play for the club.

Under a points system, that option isn’t available to the player.
Yes it is. It does not matter what he earns and where. If he wants to stay at his Junior club it is easier as he will attract in Year 1NRL Contract..say a Jayden Sullivan for us "0" points on our cap regardless of his worth.

I will use the CRL points system as an example. Even if Jayden becomes a NSW origin who say would attract the maximum 25 points for a player at any club. If he is our club Junior no matter what his worth he may attract say max 10 points. Say the NRL cap player points system for a Top 30 is 200. If you have too many starts like the Roosters you blow the budget
And if it is not about money and Jayden wants to stay and the club wants him he will. The club also gets the benefit as may take 0 points initially or not as much points in the future out of their cap when becomes a star where as another it impacts on their points cap from Day 1 if he is poached to a greater extent.

Where this system disadvantages are clubs with limited Junior bases V big Junior bases would be something to look at. How I would possibly try and even that playing field is allocate an area in country regions to certain clubs who dont have an affiliation already to a NRL club so they become a Junior Feeder affiliation to a NRL club

Last edited:

possm

Coach
no one has ever been able to explain to me why a points system wouldn't reduce rorting and also even out the teams much better than the current dollars based cloak and dagger system does. A points system would be transparent, easily understood and much less prone to paper bags full of cash or boats in the shed. So someone please explain the flaw in a points based system and why it isn't used.
The NRL could have solved the rorting problem using many different methods years ago. The problem is that they are beholden to the top clubs and the TV broadcasting companies who don't want change.

SBD82

Coach
Yes it is. It does not matter what he earns and where. If he wants to stay at his Junior club it is easier as he will attract in Year 1NRL Contract..say a Jayden Sullivan for us "0" points on our cap regardless of his worth.

I will use the CRL points system as an example. Even if Jayden becomes a NSW origin who say would attract the maximum 25 points for a player at any club. If he is our club Junior no matter what his worth he may attract say max 10 points. Say the NRL cap player points system for a Top 30 is 200. If you have too many starts like the Roosters you blow the budget
And if it is not about money and Jayden wants to stay and the club wants him he will. The club also gets the benefit as may take 0 points initially or not as much points in the future out of their cap when becomes a star where as another it impacts on their points cap from Day 1 if he is poached to a greater extent.

Where this system disadvantages are clubs with limited Junior bases V big Junior bases would be something to look at. How I would possibly try and even that playing field is allocate an area in country regions to certain clubs who dont have an affiliation already to a NRL club so they become a Junior Feeder affiliation to a NRL club
I appreciate the thought that you’ve obviously put into this, but I think your system has too many complexities and issues to be able to implement. I don’t think you can account for all scenarios, and in my experience complex systems are most susceptible to having loopholes that can be exploited.

For example, how are you going to define junior? If a player debuts for the club? Or if they come in as part of the reserve team? HM’s? JF? How would a bloke like Jordan Pereira fit?

What do you do with players who come over from rugby? Or players from super league who want to test themselves in the NRL? Players who have a falling out with their club (eg Keary)?

If you could pay players whatever you like, couldn’t you provide incentives for them to have “injuries” if picked for rep teams? Thereby reducing their points value but upping their salary.

I admit there are issues with the salary cap, but I think a points system, while fixing some of those issues, would create many more than it solves.

BLM01

First Grade
I appreciate the thought that you’ve obviously put into this, but I think your system has too many complexities and issues to be able to implement. I don’t think you can account for all scenarios, and in my experience complex systems are most susceptible to having loopholes that can be exploited.

For example, how are you going to define junior? If a player debuts for the club? Or if they come in as part of the reserve team? HM’s? JF? How would a bloke like Jordan Pereira fit?

What do you do with players who come over from rugby? Or players from super league who want to test themselves in the NRL? Players who have a falling out with their club (eg Keary)?

If you could pay players whatever you like, couldn’t you provide incentives for them to have “injuries” if picked for rep teams? Thereby reducing their points value but upping their salary.

I admit there are issues with the salary cap, but I think a points system, while fixing some of those issues, would create many more than it solves.
You can make it work.
Your trying to complicate it with scenarios
You make a rule whatever every one has to stick to it
Juniors has to be Har Matts or Flegg only they are the only 2 yard sticks within a NRL club
If they come from rugby into reggies then no Junior concession..simple. Reggies is not juniors unless the player comes from juniors in your region etc straight to reggies which rarely happens so JP would not get concessions anyway and was he a St George or Illawarra junior playing Matts or Flegg..dont think so.
Junior is classified sub 18 years of age in league.
Every player who comes into NRL from SL or whatever get rated by an independant committee each October before the new season starts Nov 1,,based on standing, experience,injury, age and rep level

If they are feigning injury to miss rep...well they must be already picked at that level in the judging panels eyes anyway
Players fall out with club and want to leave..makes no difference..happens all the time.
The player has a rating...not the club, goes with him. The club just get concessions off their points cap for long serving or junior players

gregstar

Referee
Grand Final Finalists

1999 - Melbourne
2000 - Roosters
2002 - Roosters
2003 - Roosters
2004 - Roosters
2006 - Storm
2007 - Storm
2008 - Storm
2009 - Storm
2010 - Roosters
2012 - Storm
2013 - Roosters
2016 - Storm
2017 - Storm
2018 - Storm & Roosters
2019 - Roosters

Since 1999.

2020 - Storm

It just gets better doesn’t it?