What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno assistant coach,,...?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The report was leaked to the NRL yesterday. No official comment yet from the Club, which has me thinking that

a.) The leak was intentional to stem the bleeding, and
b.) The report suggests that Flanno will be there next year and doesn't specify for the year after. I wonder if the Club is trying to secure a 2 year deal.

The risk of a 1 year deal is massive. Failure would / could lead to the sacking of Mary and a short term novice take over for the remainder of 19 and maybe 20. No experienced coach would take such a short term job, with Flanno in the ranks.

Time will tell.

Could be as simple as waiting for the Women's GF, probably don't want any unnecessary media focus around the club.

SAP58

Juniors
Saw an interview with Tedesco last night and when they raised the Roosters defence and how good it was he gave all the credit to Fitzgibbon, basically said he was a hard task master and has built their defensive structures. Thought gee that is something we need, some mongrel in defence like we did back in 2010. We continue to wait for the opposition in defence rather than moving up to meet them at the advantage line like the Roosters and Storm do.

SGMax

Juniors
My take on recent developments is that the future has already been mapped.
1) Mary has been told he has had long enough and won't be renewed after his contract ends.
2) Flanagan has been identified as the likely next coach.
3) Mary has been told if he accepts the new assistant coach's contribution, it will only improve his record and could possibly leave him a legacy worth talking about (although unjustified).
4) Mary realises that this is the best situation as no other club will employ him after the 2019 season and prepares for minimum workload over the next 2 years.

Lets hope our club can eventually start attracting quality players again.
Sick of only getting the off-cuts.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I heard that Flanno has been offered the Assistant Coach role for 2020, but has yet to formally accept and sign. Maybe there's still some jostling and moving to this puzzle.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Saw an interview with Tedesco last night and when they raised the Roosters defence and how good it was he gave all the credit to Fitzgibbon, basically said he was a hard task master and has built their defensive structures. Thought gee that is something we need, some mongrel in defence like we did back in 2010. We continue to wait for the opposition in defence rather than moving up to meet them at the advantage line like the Roosters and Storm do.
I would much prefer Fitzy than Flanno but looks like 2 years of purgatory before the drug cheat takes over afterwards:sob: I wanted to renew my membership as a show of loyalty but not sure I will now. This is the easy way out for the club and basically proves the Dragons board is operating almost like a hung parliament.

qld redvee

Juniors
I heard that Flanno has been offered the Assistant Coach role for 2020, but has yet to formally accept and sign. Maybe there's still some jostling and moving to this puzzle.
Coffs
You would hope its to sort out something critical like player retention /development duties KPIs to keep greenberg happy and if he has game plan input .. If we do get Flanno it will be like 'hire a hubby franchise" we have a plumber and painter on board - minimal maintenance charges

hewi

Bench
Q- With Flanagan appointed as Assistant,
If we start winning well, who gets the
credit?

Flanagan for telling McGregor what to do
OR
McGregor, because he is coach?

$64,000 question and a real problem. Because the board and CEO are in love with the moron coach probably him and so he would get another two year extension while Flanagan would be sacked as no longer needed.

SAP58

Juniors
I would much prefer Fitzy than Flanno but looks like 2 years of purgatory before the drug cheat takes over afterwards:sob: I wanted to renew my membership as a show of loyalty but not sure I will now. This is the easy way out for the club and basically proves the Dragons board is operating almost like a hung parliament.
Tough call but I am with you on membership but I dont think Fitzy is interested in an assistants role he will stay at the Roosters until a Head coaching gig comes up.

Bigdogsbedtime

Juniors
I
So Hazz,

What your saying is that we are in an induced coma and will lie there until the fake doctor has his license revoked from the medical board, albeit, the Saints management.

The prognosis sounds terminal.

I think l'll self induce a gin drip purely for medical purposes.

I think they would like to get rid of him but dont want to pay him out.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Coffs
You would hope its to sort out something critical like player retention /development duties KPIs to keep greenberg happy and if he has game plan input ..

If we do get Flanno it will be like 'hire a hubby franchise" we have a plumber and painter on board - minimal maintenance charges

I'm prepared to offer my services as a builder in the search for better team harmony.
I might be slow but boy am l rough, slow & expensive but apart from that,
l'm great value for money ..... which is more than l can say for McGregor.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
BDBT,

I reckon if they can afford to pay Flanagan and have a Director of Football in Gould or Sheens, surely they can pay out McGregor.

By my reckoning they really cant afford to pay out Mc85mins.

Paying him out 2yrs of 800k would create such a negative impact on our finances without additional $$. The only addition are, supposedly, the salaries of those who have been let go eg: Head and Hornby.
So, if we sacked him now, it would mean:
-800k (Payout to Mc85mins)
+600k (Assumed salaries of Head and Hornby)
Overall effect = -200k
Ie: no $$ for a head coach, assistant or a CC coach.
Therefore, the 600k (assumed) could be redistributed to Flannagan as an under the thumb (by the NRL) and a GM of football.
Remember too that, we still have salaries to Young and Talau as well as other support staff eg: HPU etc.

I cannot fathom, for the life of me, why he was re-signed and at such a high $$$.

Stupidity reigns supreme.

Bigdogsbedtime

Juniors
By my reckoning they really cant afford to pay out Mc85mins.

Paying him out 2yrs of 800k would create such a negative impact on our finances without additional $$. The only addition are, supposedly, the salaries of those who have been let go eg: Head and Hornby.
So, if we sacked him now, it would mean:
-800k (Payout to Mc85mins)
+600k (Assumed salaries of Head and Hornby)
Overall effect = -200k
Ie: no $$ for a head coach, assistant or a CC coach.
Therefore, the 600k (assumed) could be redistributed to Flannagan as an under the thumb (by the NRL) and a GM of football.
Remember too that, we still have salaries to Young and Talau as well as other support staff eg: HPU etc.

I cannot fathom, for the life of me, why he was re-signed and at such a high $$$.

Stupidity reigns supreme.

Yeah, Mary sucks but so do the board or whoever resigns him.

All the guys in jobs there are all ex dragons guys. Aside from Wayne Bennett, what good coaches have come out of the dragons?

possm

Coach
Our two assistant coaches for the past few seasons were exposed to the Bennett defensive systems but chose to ignore it or just couldn't coach it.