What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

adamkungl

Immortal
Penrith in my experience is the best of the outer stadiums.
And it seems well placed for enough incremental upgrades through Panthers Leagues + Government to keep itself modern and in good nick.

What's the major benefit of a rebuild? Panthers are the only pro sports tenant. Bankwest, Olympic, and SFS will be used by 4-6 professional clubs each across 3 sports + concerts and other events.

flippikat

Bench
Canberra stadium has now fallen behind and needs to be planned or a new one in next 5 years. Canberra people need to make this an issue and get a media campaign going, only way to get pollies to do anything. Hopefully winning the premiership will give them a platform to start the conversation.

What chance a repeat of Jonathan Thurston's 2015 call for a new Townsville stadium, from the winners podium? ;)

forby

Juniors
If you rebuilt Penrith, Parramatta could share and Wests Tigers and Bulldogs can share Bankwest!
Problem solved!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well Canberra is a no brainer and shouldn't be that hard if the guy is as good at negotiations as they say he is. Then there is the whole North Shore. It shouldn't be that hard to point out and then work on persuading any Gov that there isn't one decent stadium anywhere North of the Harbour of Sydney and that the people of the North deserve to be treated as fairly and equitably as all the other people of Sydney.

Make it a PR exercise and nightmare if you have to, for the Gov to deal with. Get to the right people within Gov and court, leverage, bribe like the AFL do. If we have the right man in charge then it is possible. Why shouldn't a couple of million people on the North Shore enjoy what people South of the city now take for granted? I didn't say it would be easy or even done in a single year or two, but it should be achieved within 3-5 years.

I know we still haven't rebuilt Allianz or Olympic Stadium, yet I am suggesting we lobby for more money for more Stadiums, but yes we should. They are strategic Stadiums that don't exist at present and would cater to a whole new group of people and turn their districts into thriving money making sports communities. These sorts of Stadiums are part of a well planed city's infrastructure and amenities program. They would and do become great public assets that whole communities love and utilise over decades of continual use. I am not talking about 70-90K type Stadiums here, I am referring to 30-40K max that will be used and supported by the populous that surrounds it and by visiting fans and tourists. They generate hype and excitement, especially for a sleepy town like Canberra.

As for Cronulla/Saints, it would be the toughest to get across the line, so if that took 10+ years to get off the ground, sure it would be understandable, but that ultimately should also happen.

Looking at the backlash to this stadium strategy it’s very hard to see a NSW Govt spending significant amounts on stadiums again for many many years. They’ve invested in three new state of the art stadiums for the city, If clubs don’t want to use them then that’s on the them, the odds of Govt funding another $500mill-1bill of stadiums is just not likely in next couple of decades.

The best you could hope for would be upgrades like hbf park got. $100mill buys a nice main stand and uncovered end stand, some food and toilet upgrades and new screens. I could see the likes of Penrith or Campbelltown getting that if the council were willing to sign over the stadiums to state Govt control.

GAZF

First Grade
I was gonna say that Canberra would stand a bigger chance if they had an A-league team so they can lock-in year-round use for sports.. but Townsville don't have an A-League team currently (nor do they have a Super Rugby team), and that didn't stop them.
I assume QLD doesn't have an AFL cheerleader pulling the strings on stadium policy like the ACT does. Wouldn't shock me if the Raiders pre-empting most of the NRL with a women's team is partly to provide another stadium tenant.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
Penrith in my experience is the best of the outer stadiums.
And it seems well placed for enough incremental upgrades through Panthers Leagues + Government to keep itself modern and in good nick.

What's the major benefit of a rebuild? Panthers are the only pro sports tenant. Bankwest, Olympic, and SFS will be used by 4-6 professional clubs each across 3 sports + concerts and other events.
The same benefit the new Cowboys stadium will have. Bigger crowds and open the door to more concerts and events. And also unlike most of those tenants they will play all of their games at the new stadium.

Penrith stadium is the best suburban ground and is like a second home to me but an upgrade is necessary. Little cover from rain, too little toilets and entrances and too far in between, the pathways are too narrow at the south and north ends, food and drink lines intersect pathways, Penrith has great corporate support and is capable of more corporate boxes to maximise income of which there are not enough corporate suites, lights swing like they’re about to fall at the eastern grandstand and so on and so on. Also from a players point of view the tunnel isn’t wide enough for medicabs to be used so instead players have to be stretchered off which delays treatment and the game.

It’s nice to hear Stuart Ayres reaffirm it’s a part of the government’s agenda for a new outer western sydney stadium when asked about the anz penrith stadium rumour. Which is a big hint to where that new stadium will be built.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
Looking at the backlash to this stadium strategy it’s very hard to see a NSW Govt spending significant amounts on stadiums again for many many years. They’ve invested in three new state of the art stadiums for the city, If clubs don’t want to use them then that’s on the them, the odds of Govt funding another $500mill-1bill of stadiums is just not likely in next couple of decades.

The best you could hope for would be upgrades like hbf park got. $100mill buys a nice main stand and uncovered end stand, some food and toilet upgrades and new screens. I could see the likes of Penrith or Campbelltown getting that if the council were willing to sign over the stadiums to state Govt control.
I think they could get away with a new stadium at Penrith. It would be billed as much more of a ‘community’ project and less like an under the table deal with Alan Jones which many had the perception of the sfs rebuild being.

unforgiven

Bench
The same benefit the new Cowboys stadium will have. Bigger crowds and open the door to more concerts and events. And also unlike most of those tenants they will play all of their games at the new stadium.

Penrith stadium is the best suburban ground and is like a second home to me but an upgrade is necessary. Little cover from rain, too little toilets and entrances and too far in between, the pathways are too narrow at the south and north ends, food and drink lines intersect pathways, Penrith has great corporate support and is capable of more corporate boxes to maximise income of which there are not enough corporate suites, lights swing like they’re about to fall at the eastern grandstand and so on and so on. Also from a players point of view the tunnel isn’t wide enough for medicabs to be used so instead players have to be stretchered off which delays treatment and the game.

It’s nice to hear Stuart Ayres reaffirm it’s a part of the government’s agenda for a new outer western sydney stadium when asked about the anz penrith stadium rumour. Which is a big hint to where that new stadium will be built.
I'd support a new Eastern Stand but that is it!

I think they could get away with a new stadium at Penrith. It would be billed as much more of a ‘community’ project and less like an under the table deal with Alan Jones which many had the perception of the sfs rebuild being.

I think a staged development might be possible, but a whole new stadium in one hit will be hard.

I’d start with the eastern stand being rebuilt, and also do some safe standing terraces on the southern side.

I say since their is a new A-League team coming that Campbelltown Stadium would have more chance of being upgraded or rebuilt than Penrith Stadium in my opinion.

Suitman

Post Whore
I say since their is a new A-League team coming that Campbelltown Stadium would have more chance of being upgraded or rebuilt than Penrith Stadium in my opinion.

The owners of the new Macarthur FC A-League team are funding an upgrade of Campbelltown themselves, with a little bit of help from the local council.
It won't need state govt finance.

Note: Not the final design.

16x9