What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
On the space theme I watched a movie I never knew existed last night called Europa Report. I wouldn’t call it a hidden gem exactly but thought it was pretty good all-round. Released a few years ago and only made $120k at the box office - an absolute pittance..
Loved the movie and one of my top three science fiction movies of the past 10 years.

Brought science back to science fiction instead of being a space opera or a fantasy fluff piece masquerading as science fiction.

axl rose

Bench
Crawl what a boring, lackluster movie. I thought I’d give it a chance based off of the reviews. Watch the aussie croc movie Black Water or Rogue instead, far better.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Dead right there mate. You nailed the description and yes, that’s one on the reasons I liked it.
Science fiction is just that. Movies all the way back to The Forbidden Planet to Prometheus make one think rather than ooh and ahh at the thoughts of whether Luke Skywalker is screwing Chewbacca or not.

Just look at the lists of the best science fiction movies of all time. Filled with shit like Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Harry Potter and Mad Max.

Plus any movie set in the future is deemed science fiction. Utter hogwash.

Edit: Mad Max 1 and 2 are my favourite movies of all time but they are about as much science fiction as Downton Abbey.

End of rant.

Matua

Bench
Science fiction is just that. Movies all the way back to The Forbidden Planet to Prometheus make one think rather than ooh and ahh at the thoughts of whether Luke Skywalker is screwing Chewbacca or not.

Just look at the lists of the best science fiction movies of all time. Filled with shit like Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Harry Potter and Mad Max.

Edit: Mad Max 1 and 2 are my favourite movies of all time but they are about as much science fiction as Downton Abbey.

End of rant.
You seem to want to throw the baby out with the bath water, sci fi doesn't have to be your limited definition above, and clearly isn't, even if as you rightly note fantasy and dystopians etc should not be included.

Mr Spock!

Referee

End of rant.
I wouldnt consider Harry Potter nor LOTR as scifi. Not sure about Mad Max either.

They're fantasy.

Star Trek is classical sci fi.

Star Wars bridges both fantasy and scifi.

PJ

First Grade
Yesterday. Not for me. Very predictable apart from the ridiculous premise. 4

Crawl. Can't decide wether it made Yesterday look good or bad, but at least it didn't pretend to be anything other than stock standard creature feature. 4

Zoidberg

First Grade
Life is beautiful (1997). Italian movie that won a few Oscars back in the day, including best actor. I don’t often watch subtitled movies so it takes me a bit to get used to reading the lines, and this has some pretty quick dialogue. Really enjoyed it even though it takes a pretty dark turn from sweet comedy to drama about half way through, putting the characters into a concentration camp (set during WWII).

Last edited:

Zoidberg

First Grade
Moonlight. Good movie and a best picture Oscar winner. I usually find it hard to see the fuss with best picture winners but kinda understand with this one. An important story to be told with some great performances.

YoHadrian

Juniors
A few years old but watched it recently is a very funny movie called The Goods, Live Hard, Sell Hard starring Jeremy Piven.

nöyd

Staff member
Haven't seen it yet (obviously) but the missus scored free tix to Joker on Saturday arvo.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Just got back from Joker. It is exactly how it’s advertised, so don’t go in expecting comic booky or actiony. If the trailers don’t interest you, don’t see it.
I loved it. Outstanding performance from Phoenix. Sad tale in a grim world, showing a man being broken down.
8.5/10

bileduct

Coach
Just got back from Joker. It is exactly how it’s advertised, so don’t go in expecting comic booky or actiony. If the trailers don’t interest you, don’t see it.
I loved it. Outstanding performance from Phoenix. Sad tale in a grim world, showing a man being broken down.
8.5/10
Did you get shot at by incels?

Latest posts