What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Future looks Dark

hewi

Bench
According to The Australian's senior reporter Brent Read, the Raiders are very keen on the 20-year old.

MORE: Wighton ready to repay the faith

“They’re not resting on their laurels the Raiders, they are already looking at their options for 2021 and I understand they are very keen on Zac Lomax, the St George Illawarra outside back," he told Sporting News.

"He is more a centre, Zac, and they are looking at him as a centre potentially for when BJ Leilua leaves.

0:001:34
Ready's Round-Up: Canberra set their sights on St. George star

ADVERTISEMENT
"He is an interesting one, his contract is up at the end of 2020 and they have given him permission to go and negotiate.

"Lomax is their long-term goal to replace Leilua, so we will see whether or not BJ can find another home."

It would be a fair replacement for Leilua if he was to depart the club - Lomax has been dubbed 'the gifted one' by NSW head coach Brad Fittlerafter seeing him rise through the ranks.

MORE: Full list of Dally M award winners

And the Dragons are looking to free up room in their cap, which means Lomax could head to the nation's capital as early as next season as they look to sort out their long-term roster.

ADVERTISEMENT
“If BJ goes and Lomax signs for 2021, maybe St George will be tempted to let him go a year early," he said.

"The Leilua situation is interesting because his departure could impact on John Bateman because they will have a bit more cash to give him and settle down that situation.

"It doesn’t sound like BJ will have a rest, he will be busy in the off-season."

The Bulldogs are rumoured to be keen on Leilua's services, while the Tigers have been in talks with Lomax in recent weeks

If this bloke is allowed to go our future isn’t dark it’s non existent. Called the gifted one and we keep Lafai and Aitken in front of him.

BLM01

First Grade
He wants to stay and I dont believe for a second Dragons have told him go elsewhere...test your worth no probs and ill believe. If I were Dragons i would be doing the same.
However you can not blame either a PM get his client a value tested on the market to help with CURRENT Dragon negotiations.
Remember no club can approach him or his manager prior to Nov 1 so how will a reporter know anything about a club that cant approach a player. Leaks from managers thats how
The other way round.... to get an idea of worth..happens all the time.

Gareth67

First Grade
But the problem is the board do not see it as a problem.
Mctwit was extended because as was mentioned at the time due to the way he managed the JDB issue.
To review the year and blame it on JDB issue and injuries tells all they don't think the coach is at fault.

Look back at Price's sacking continued with the same selections desperate for a win and 5 games after extension reportedly the players spoke to management.

Mctwit has preformed worse yet the players stand by him.

Our only hope is a poor start to the season

So jack of it, I even emailed back the marketing department to stop emailing me as I cannot stand by a club that stand s by a such a poor coach.

Mate I agree with all that you have said , however although the board is undoubtedly the major problem with its ignorant attitude a start needs to made somewhere .

Perhaps Gould ( assuming he will be involved with the Dragons ) may be able to sway their judgement in acknowledging that success is what drives all clubs .

They must think along those lines or it will be more of the same , meaning that Mary’s ‘ minders ‘ are a waste of money .

Gareth67

First Grade

possm

Coach
whenever you take over an organisation that is going downhill fast or is in a near death situation, the first thing you do is deal with the executive team - get the right people on the bus. In the case of the dragons, clearly the head coach role is not working for whatever reason. its time for a change, there is no time for them to work it out.

Get someone in who is structured, methodical and can work with people. That person may only be in that role for 6 months to 2 years, but they are tasked with getting key indicators going in the right direction. In the case of the Dragons, engagement (players playing at or near the full potential each and every week); appropriate games plans the include conditions, the opposition and the capabilities of the team members; culture - letting the football department this will not continue and more change will be made; consensuses - performance have consensuses both good and bad.

If you look at the roster that we have, there is not excuse why we did not challenge for a top 4. I'm not saying we were a top 4 this year, but with the right selections, games plans and player management we should have been close. A CEO who's company is not performing has a very limited time to rectify the ship 5 years is way too long and Mary (CEO of the football department) has changed very little over that time.

I think our potential premiership window that we looked to have a number of years ago, I believe has now passed us by and we need to start thinking about change without fear of failure. 2020 should be a new approach with a new attitude. Once we sort that out, other things like getting the right players and juniors will naturally occur.
Many of our players this season seem to be disinterested or fleat. I don't know why but it maybe they are sick of playing to a plan they know is very hard work and not very successful.

possm

Coach
According to The Australian's senior reporter Brent Read, the Raiders are very keen on the 20-year old.

MORE: Wighton ready to repay the faith

“They’re not resting on their laurels the Raiders, they are already looking at their options for 2021 and I understand they are very keen on Zac Lomax, the St George Illawarra outside back," he told Sporting News.

"He is more a centre, Zac, and they are looking at him as a centre potentially for when BJ Leilua leaves.

0:001:34
Ready's Round-Up: Canberra set their sights on St. George star

ADVERTISEMENT
"He is an interesting one, his contract is up at the end of 2020 and they have given him permission to go and negotiate.

"Lomax is their long-term goal to replace Leilua, so we will see whether or not BJ can find another home."

It would be a fair replacement for Leilua if he was to depart the club - Lomax has been dubbed 'the gifted one' by NSW head coach Brad Fittlerafter seeing him rise through the ranks.

MORE: Full list of Dally M award winners

And the Dragons are looking to free up room in their cap, which means Lomax could head to the nation's capital as early as next season as they look to sort out their long-term roster.

ADVERTISEMENT
“If BJ goes and Lomax signs for 2021, maybe St George will be tempted to let him go a year early," he said.

"The Leilua situation is interesting because his departure could impact on John Bateman because they will have a bit more cash to give him and settle down that situation.

"It doesn’t sound like BJ will have a rest, he will be busy in the off-season."

The Bulldogs are rumoured to be keen on Leilua's services, while the Tigers have been in talks with Lomax in recent weeks

If this bloke is allowed to go our future isn’t dark it’s non existent. Called the gifted one and we keep Lafai and Aitken in front of him.
What a grave mistake it would be to let Lomax go.

getsmarty

Immortal
What a grave mistake it would be to let Lomax go.

As others have stated, just his management doing their job.....Hayden is still here ( I believe,,but maybe georgedragon can shed more light on this ) ..Also lives in the area with Jess.

I guess it comes down to whether he gets a start at fullback or centre next year....

SIMPLE SOLUTION....Time to cut aitken loose....hasn't really achieved much under McGregor except to block the pathway of better players like Lomax....

Again..McGregor is totally at fault here, as he has backed the wrong horse ( aitken )...plays favourites...the quicker McGregor goes the better off everyone will be.

Como Connection

First Grade
As others have stated, just his management doing their job.....Hayden is still here ( I believe,,but maybe georgedragon can shed more light on this ) ..Also lives in the area with Jess.

I guess it comes down to whether he gets a start at fullback or centre next year....

SIMPLE SOLUTION....Time to cut aitken loose....hasn't really achieved much under McGregor except to block the pathway of better players like Lomax....

Again..McGregor is totally at fault here, as he has backed the wrong horse ( aitken )...plays favourites...the quicker McGregor goes the better off everyone will be.
Don't forget the way Mann was also treated.
CC

SaintPauli

Juniors
Many of our players this season seem to be disinterested or fleat. I don't know why but it maybe they are sick of playing to a plan they know is very hard work and not very successful.
Coaches are the key. We are in need of an overhall. Flanagan is one positive step but sadly im not hearing anything else.

The board is either holding their cards closely on announcements with regards to coaching or they have no idea? I know what most in this forum think.

Hopefully we will hear good news after the GF.

possm

Coach

No doubt all Mary's fault, he has mismanaged a number of our youngsters coming through over the past few years. Now it will be a contest between Millward and Mullholland, who can sell Lomax's manager the most convincing narrative. Millward should have acted earlier by locking in Lomax future at SGI long term earlier this season. Now if Canberra win the GF, there will be a big incentive for Lomax to move on; especially if J Leilua is released.

getsmarty

Immortal
No doubt all Mary's fault, he has mismanaged a number of our youngsters coming through over the past few years. Now it will be a contest between Millward and Mullholland, who can sell Lomax's manager the most convincing narrative. Millward should have acted earlier by locking in Lomax future at SGI long term earlier this season. Now if Canberra win the GF, there will be a big incentive for Lomax to move on; especially if J Leilua is released.

How do you know Millward has not acted already ? You make many assumptions....

Last edited:

Carlton

Juniors

I love your passion Possm but mate some of the solutions you throw up are too simplistic. Signing any player is two sided and, if the player doesn't want to stay at the club, its not necessarily the recruiting managers fault. Remember we had Mullholland and he didn't sign much during his time with us (PS and I think he is a really good operator).

BLM01

First Grade
How do you know Millward has not acted already ? You make many assumptions....
They have 86. It is called giving a PM authority to find out what the value of his next contract would be....and are happy to release that info to a journo...who..just turns it a little to make it a headline.

getsmarty

Immortal
They have 86. It is called giving a PM authority to find out what the value of his next contract would be....and are happy to release that info to a journo...who..just turns it a little to make it a headline.

Correct Chief...that's what I heard also...I was alluding to this without actually saying it in " Black & White "......
Millward doesn't just blindly pay overs...same scenario with Dugan...

People think Millward is the problem, but this is just not correct.

Dragsters

First Grade
What a pack of A- holes they are if it is correct , many on here predicted this would occur and now here we are seeing the first puffs of smoke from the media .

This is how sh!t starts these days.

Noone gets a medal for predicting this crap.

Being down on the club is one thing but spewing crap about losing our promising juniors can become a self-fulfilling prophecy imo...

BLM01

First Grade
Correct Chief...that's what I heard also...I was alluding to this without actually saying it in " Black & White "......
Millward doesn't just blindly pay overs...same scenario with Dugan...

People think Millward is the problem, but this is just not correct.

Agree but not sure about Millward and his standing with PM's because like him or not you have to have rapport with most of them and other recruitment bosses. That is one big key and problem for us. The attitudes of PM's are bad enough but when you got struggling clubs with our way or the highway attitude too which I admire to a point....... then this rubs off and irks the men that matter. It is a flexible balance of attitudes needed.
I meet a few of their talent scouts from time to time having a look at some potentials but am learning fast how they operate as we have some players or have not made the cut or not playing reggies back at our club.
Mary has a big say.(or has)..FACT...in who stays or who goes.
Millward has got to balance the books with the best deal he can muster and if and when he is asked to find replacements with his recruitment guys and scouts etc he is doing it with hands tied to a point because of money available in their cap...but 3rd party's someone needs to fix that up quick smart and get of their arse. Players and their managers are constantly looking to get upgrades even on current contracts if they get a wif of media hype or other clubs circling
The NRL is a mess run by TV, PM's and high end corporate and needs to be fixed soon.

getsmarty

Immortal
Agree but not sure about Millward and his standing with PM's because like him or not you have to have rapport with most of them and other recruitment bosses. That is one big key and problem for us. The attitudes of PM's are bad enough but when you got struggling clubs with our way or the highway attitude too which I admire to a point....... then this rubs off and irks the men that matter. It is a flexible balance of attitudes needed.
I meet a few of their talent scouts from time to time having a look at some potentials but am learning fast how they operate as we have some players or have not made the cut or not playing reggies back at our club.
Mary has a big say.(or has)..FACT...in who stays or who goes.
Millward has got to balance the books with the best deal he can muster and if and when he is asked to find replacements with his recruitment guys and scouts etc he is doing it with hands tied to a point because of money available in their cap...but 3rd party's someone needs to fix that up quick smart and get of their arse. Players and their managers are constantly looking to get upgrades even on current contracts if they get a wif of media hype or other clubs circling
The NRL is a mess run by TV, PM's and high end corporate and needs to be fixed soon.

Well Said...again, I personally didn't want to go into similar detail...as we all know, clubs are not meant to organize 3rd party ;) but we have virtually nothing....not Millward's fault...and as you correctly stated, Coach has a big say in who stays or goes....

As you correctly stated , the whole system needs an overhaul....otherwise certain clubs will always be ahead of the pack and other clubs will either have to pay massive overs ( which result in an unbalanced squad ) or go bust.

Understand what your saying about rapport with P.M's but in the past we suffered by paying massive Marquee dollars for average 1st graders and Millward seems to be pulling in the purse strings in order to get a better balance in the squad. Yes, agree it can backfire, but again we have virtually no 3rd party , so its a tricky one isn't it .

BLM01

First Grade
Well Said...again, I personally didn't want to go into similar detail...as we all know, clubs are not meant to organize 3rd party ;) but we have virtually nothing....not Millward's fault...and as you correctly stated, Coach has a big say in who stays or goes....

As you correctly stated , the whole system needs an overhaul....otherwise certain clubs will always be ahead of the pack and other clubs will either have to pay massive overs ( which result in an unbalanced squad ) or go bust.

Understand what your saying about rapport with P.M's but in the past we suffered by paying massive Marquee dollars for average 1st graders and Millward seems to be pulling in the purse strings in order to get a better balance in the squad. Yes, agree it can backfire, but again we have virtually no 3rd party , so its a tricky one isn't it .
Better depth is one of our biggest challenges. Not only do roosters have a good top 17...but they have good depth coming out of their ying yang as do Melbourne
Good management of Rosters, identifying talent - Tick
Good coaching staff bringing talent through - Tick
Good work ethic and expectations - Tick
Now players want to go to their clubs - Tick
Plenty of money and or 3rd party and or undetectable direct player payments - Tick

Those 2 clubs tick all the boxes and whilst they do it is a vicious circle and cycle that now cant be broken under current rules. Very hard to knock them off their perches.

getsmarty

Immortal
Better depth is one of our biggest challenges. Not only do roosters have a good top 17...but they have good depth coming out of their ying yang as do Melbourne
Good management of Rosters, identifying talent - Tick
Good coaching staff bringing talent through - Tick
Good work ethic and expectations - Tick
Now players want to go to their clubs - Tick
Plenty of money and or 3rd party and or undetectable direct player payments - Tick

Those 2 clubs tick all the boxes and whilst they do it is a vicious circle and cycle that now cant be broken under current rules. Very hard to knock them off their perches.

Well said.