What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilkenny

Coach
Lomax and Aiken no better than what we currently have in my opinion. Kata from the Storm would probably be cheaper and has more upside at his best. If the best we can hope for is depth signings he may be worth considering.

Kilkenny

Coach
I really hope we are chasing JWH now, I’ve warmed up a lot to the idea. I think he could have a big impact on our forwards.

Also the roosters have Crichton playing off the bench if he was available I’d chase him.

I agree JWH would be great for two seasons but I think the Roosters will extend him by a year and that will be enough for him to stay with them.

ACTPanthers

Bench
I really hope we are chasing JWH now, I’ve warmed up a lot to the idea. I think he could have a big impact on our forwards.

Also the roosters have Crichton playing off the bench if he was available I’d chase him.

I wish I could like this post twice... It's as if you literally read my mind

Kilkenny

Coach
Waqa Blake must have either been on ridiculous money or his attitude was so poor, or a combination of both to let him leave the way we did. He may not have come on the way we would have liked but very solid defensively and has shown patches of being an attacking weapon when given half decent service. Better than what we have and better than anything we are likely to bring in. We still may have needed another centre even if he stayed but our plight wouldn’t have been so desperate given what is available.

Kilkenny

Coach
Kata is of to Rugby.
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/23/2019-nrl-signings-player-transfers-and-contracts/

I would take Lomax. He has a lot of improvement in him.

Good on Kata, he will be good in Union and no doubt earn more money.

I don’t know about Lomax. The Dragons fans rated him big time initially, and perhaps he has been a victim of poor coaching but he has been underwhelming for the most part when I have watched him.

Perhaps the Dragons fans are somewhat guilty of what we do occasionally and over rate our juniors. From what I have seen of Lomax he is certainly no better than DWZ or Blake the two players we have let go who covers the same positions.

I think the issue for us is the fact we have allowed three NRL standard players to leave mid contract while not having replacement’s locked in. We are now in the less than perfect position of trying to identify replacements from the ‘pool’ of up and coming prospects or discards from other clubs who are being cut because there surplus to requirements.

Whino

Bench
Good on Kata, he will be good in Union and no doubt earn more money.

I don’t know about Lomax. The Dragons fans rated him big time initially, and perhaps he has been a victim of poor coaching but he has been underwhelming for the most part when I have watched him.

Perhaps the Dragons fans are somewhat guilty of what we do occasionally and over rate our juniors. From what I have seen of Lomax he is certainly no better than DWZ or Blake the two players we have let go who covers the same positions.

I think the issue for us is the fact we have allowed three NRL standard players to leave mid contract while not having replacement’s locked in. We are now in the less than perfect position of trying to identify replacements from the ‘pool’ of up and coming prospects or discards from other clubs who are being cut because there surplus to requirements.

Fair points.
Lomax probably has been a victim of poor coaching. This year he has been shuffled around the Dragons backline or the bench. He never really got a fair shot at one position. Overhyped? Maybe a little.
There is no question in my mind a better coach would get more out of him going forward.

I agree that we have been caught short in the backs. We have some good ones coming through but they will take time and ones holding the fort until they mature are average. It appears the recent departures in the backline have us scrambling to fill the breach. The club may need to pull a Rabbit out of the hat to solve this shortfall.
Otherwise its Whare and youth.

mxlegend99

Referee
Waqa Blake must have either been on ridiculous money or his attitude was so poor, or a combination of both to let him leave the way we did. He may not have come on the way we would have liked but very solid defensively and has shown patches of being an attacking weapon when given half decent service. Better than what we have and better than anything we are likely to bring in. We still may have needed another centre even if he stayed but our plight wouldn’t have been so desperate given what is available.
He was supposedly on $500k which IMO is not that bad at all. Might not be a bargain for us.

But theres no way we can get anyone as good or better for less than if we kept him when you factor in what we are paying him.

Its not like the RCG situation. Although depending how much we are paying him it could still be hard to come out ahead with him.

Kilkenny

Coach
He was supposedly on $500k which IMO is not that bad at all. Might not be a bargain for us.

But theres no way we can get anyone as good or better for less than if we kept him when you factor in what we are paying him.

Its not like the RCG situation. Although depending how much we are paying him it could still be hard to come out ahead with him.

I have no idea what he was on or is earning now. I don't believe the media figures because for the most part they just speculate like we do.

I'm sure we are all on the same page with Waqa Blake, huge talent who never quite delivered on his potential. Was that his fault or playing in an underperforming side where he never got the service to make him a better player.

The fact is the current brains trust allowed him to leave without any clue whatsoever who they were going to replace him with other than perhaps hoping Stephen Chricton steps up and delivers. We are now in the marketplace for a centre & winger, apparently, and basically there aren't any, not established ones better that Waqa Blake. We may recruit a youngster with potential which is all fine and dandy if it works out but the three wise men now in charge of the club have taken us down a path of a rebuild without having any idea who is going to be brought in to reinvent ourselves. Please don't suggest Api alone is going to take us to the next level because he isn't, cant and for the most part is largely no better than what Wade Egan could have delivered if given licence to do so.

franklin2323

Immortal

Maybe not but we can get a centre that can do a decent job. Improve the depth in a few positions. Already Api improves the side then we are better off then we were this time last year

Kilkenny

Coach
[QUOTE="Whino, post: 13856575, member: 46070"f. It appears the recent departures in the backline have us scrambling to fill the breach. The club may need to pull a Rabbit out of the hat to solve this shortfall.
Otherwise its Whare and youth.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, I have grave concerns about our now brains trust of O'Neill, Fletcher and Cleary.

You may question Ivan Cleary's coaching record but he is no dummy and no fool.

Is he the best man to take us forward only time will tell.

In respect of the other two thirds of the brain's trust they are clearly out of their depth and while ever they are part of the brain's trust then god help us going forward. They might be good blokes, be well intentioned, I'm sure they are but as for leading us going forward we are basically stuffed.

Kilkenny

Coach
Maybe not but we can get a centre that can do a decent job. Improve the depth in a few positions. Already Api improves the side then we are better off then we were this time last year

We had better than decent with the players we let go.

You are delusional if you think Api Koroisau is somehow going to radically improve our spine. He is a decent player, nothing more nothing less and arguably is not a massive upgrade on we have now, or did have. I like Api but with proper coaching and proper game plans Wayde Egan could have delivered exactly the same at probably less money..

franklin2323

Immortal
We had better than decent with the players we let go.

You are delusional if you think Api Koroisau is somehow going to radically improve our spine. He is a decent player, nothing more nothing less and arguably is not a massive upgrade on we have now, or did have. I like Api but with proper coaching and proper game plans Wayde Egan could have delivered exactly the same at probably less money..

I think Blake peaked as a player but within a year or 2 Crichton/Naden will offer more but until then decent is what we can hope for.

You watch NSW Cup. How many games has carved up down there? Granted he carved up in NYC but hasn't showed that in either senior grade. Api would be next up if Cook couldn't play Origin. Is a no brainer really

franklin2323

Immortal
Whare wouldn’t be on much so worst case scenario is we keep him as backup but if we waited until the off season I think we could have found a place for Mansour, personally I just think it was stupid giving away 2 good backs in the middle of the season without any replacements in mind, guess we got lucky with To’o but realistically now we still need 2 or 3 backs to come in.

You need to have the space though. You can't talk to guys until you have the space cleared incase it falls through.

We weren't making the 8 if we kept them anyway. Atleast Naden, To'o etc got some experience early

martielang

Bench
Lawrence was some player before that massive hip (?) injury. Big strong & fast. Could of been anything.

He absolutely tore us & specifically Purts a new one at Campbelltown stadium one year. Granted Purts wasn’t exactly a defensive powerhouse.

Exsilium

First Grade
Given our results, player turnover and off field dramas of late, I can’t see us attracting anyone decent.

They’ll just say we’re building within or some other spin.

Ivan the Terrible will just add plodders. It’s his go.

Status
Not open for further replies.