What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Comic Book Film Thread *** SPOILERS ***

bileduct

Coach
I'm going to see it at 9:30 tonight, so if I never post here again it's because I got shot or stabbed (or both) by some incel, which is probably what some of you guys want to happen anyway.

Wish me luck!

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Yeah i thought it was good. Had a solid if not a little superficial class base criticism of life in gotham.

The final third just needed the joker at some point to say we live in a society. He very nearly says it but i wanted the real deal.

The acting was fantastic

Blue check marks once again very wrong about a movie and shows how much liberals hate the mentally ill and class based conflict

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Joker was very good I thought. The descent into madness was slow but well done. Almost a pity it’s a stand alone movie.

Left me wondering what happened to the neighbour but he only seemed to kill people who had wronged him somehow (well up until the last scene in the hospital anyway) so assumed she’s still alive.

bileduct

Coach
Top f**king notch.

Scorsese is right. Marvel movies are like theme parks with sugar being constantly rammed down your throat, dumbed down for 8 year olds and made as inoffensive as possible to extract the most out of foreign markets like China. There's nothing memorable about them.

Joker was the exact opposite of that.

In some ways I kind of wish that Warner Bros had launched the DCU off this film and targeted a more mature audience with more realistic and grittier content than Disney will allow. Unexpectedly, it serves as a great origin story for that other dude...

But they would have f**ked it up anyway, so I am kinda glad it's just a stand alone movie.

Also, this movie just highlighted how f**king awful Jared Leto's Joker is.

Last edited:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Its interesting that you mention Scorsese because what holds it back from being a great movie (its still a very, very good movie) in my opinion is that its a little derivative of two scorsese films in taxi driver but especially the king of comedy

I might at some point tomorrow or monday make a post in 4 corners on it and keep the politics out the thread. It just very interesting and telling this reaction to a movie that is not sympathetic to alt-right politics at all.

bileduct

Coach
Its interesting that you mention Scorsese because what holds it back from being a great movie (its still a very, very good movie) in my opinion is that its a little derivative of two scorsese films in taxi driver but especially the king of comedy
Todd Philips did say that Taxi Driver and King of Comedy heavily influenced this film.

He even had Scorsese look over the script.

Frederick

Staff member
Top f**king notch.

Scorsese is right. Marvel movies are like theme parks with sugar being constantly rammed down your throat, dumbed down for 8 year olds and made as inoffensive as possible to extract the most out of foreign markets like China. There's nothing memorable about them.
And yet, 20-something movies in you're still watching them

Also, this movie just highlighted how f**king awful Jared Leto's Joker is.
agreed

natheel

Coach
Yeah i thought it was good. Had a solid if not a little superficial class base criticism of life in gotham.

The final third just needed the joker at some point to say we live in a society. He very nearly says it but i wanted the real deal.

The acting was fantastic

Blue check marks once again very wrong about a movie and shows how much liberals hate the mentally ill and class based conflict

The movie makes you feel sympathetic to him and you get his reasoning. The scene on the train people are reportedly walking out. Maybe they didn’t like how it made them root for Arthur in that instance? Questioning their own morals etc

Game_Breaker

Coach
Todd Philips did say that Taxi Driver and King of Comedy heavily influenced this film.

He even had Scorsese look over the script.

He didn’t hide the influence either
Some shots in some scenes were directly out of those films.
Even casting De Niro as the talk show host was deliberate

Which reminds me, Phoenix’s recent interviews on talk shows promoting the movie are worth watching
He’s trolling them

Zoidberg

First Grade
The movie makes you feel sympathetic to him and you get his reasoning. The scene on the train people are reportedly walking out. Maybe they didn’t like how it made them root for Arthur in that instance? Questioning their own morals etc
Maybe it’s the “guns don’t kill people” crowd? Having a gun gave him opportunity to snap.
That’s the point with that scene though. You think “would I do the same in that situation?”

bileduct

Coach
Who the f**k walks out during a film like this in 2019 that isn't lying about it on twitter just so they appear in the Daily Mail?

bileduct

Coach
And yet, 20-something movies in you're still watching them
Yeah dude, same reason I still watch the terrible Aliens, Predator and Terminator sequels. I grew up on that shit.

Only now I don't pay for it. Free tickets or download ripped blurays.

Game_Breaker

Coach
There’s a theory that the whole movie took place inside his head
I don’t buy it

Obviously some part were fantasy, although there’s some merit to the theory

Matua

Bench
Top f**king notch.

I love Scorcese and his films (well not that recent Japanese set one, that was unmitigated bollocks) but he's speaking out of his arse here and so are you - I actually find this type of commenting on super hero films to be tiresome and I'm guilty of it in the past when we'd just had a bad Hulk, Spiderman 3 and the last of the original X Men. I claimed that the era of Superhero movies was over ... I was wrong.

And it's also clear he hasn't actually watched a bunch of them, you can't comment on stuff you haven't seen.

Marvel movies are just like any other genre, some awesome, some are shit and the rest all sit along a continuum. Some are hugely memorable and some are Thor's not made by Taika Waititi.

Springs09

Juniors
Joker was good I thought, much different than I expected.

When I heard people saying it was dangerous I thought it was an over-reaction to the Aurora families criticism and the violence in the film. I now understand what they mean, there are lots of people who think the same way certain people in the film think, and this type of social commentary and criticism of the 'system' is controversial to include in a film like this.

It's also one of the most intense films I've seen.

In regards to comics - this Joker doesn't really have much in common with any other Joker I've seen, plus the Thomas Wayne subplot was a bit silly and I know it's 'alternate' but the Joker has to be 40 years older than Bruce here.

8/10

Latest posts