What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno assistant coach,,...?

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Hopefully soon once Mary finished painting the trophy cabinet so they can put in the new half a wooden spoon.
Seriously, why bother with a presentation night this year.....just give the lot to Cam McGuinnes and save the money for the Peanuts Payout!

Your are correct, Coffs.

Ladies & gentlemen, please be upstanding for this years winner .................

'Painter' McGregor!
half a spoon.jpg

BLM01

First Grade
Hopefully soon once Mary finished painting the trophy cabinet so they can put in the new half a wooden spoon.
Seriously, why bother with a presentation night this year.....just give the lot to Cam McGuinnes and save the money for the Peanuts Payout!
Cam who?

possm

Coach
I am sure thats it. Start thinking about 2020 after a few beers..actually they will have a lucky dip at the presentation. Whoever's name gets drawn out will be kept for 2020. They draw a name every 10 minutes.
So to keep Possm happy you want the squad announced before the preso.?..Not sure why though..what is wrong with before training resumes.
It is hard enough closing deals on some of the more talented players on the market let alone giving the other bidders extra time to beat you to the punch.With our management staff we need all the help we can get.

BLM01

First Grade
It is hard enough closing deals on some of the more talented players on the market let alone giving the other bidders extra time to beat you to the punch.With our management staff we need all the help we can get.
I can assure you Possm that whoever they want to keep for 2020 and who they are letting go is known by those that matter most.
I give you a little story. There is a reason the headline this week about Zac re Canberra and seeing him as a CENTRE. Player manager just trying to pass on some friendly reminders to the Dragons to shake the tree. There is one key word there...if you can spot it. Not the alarming headline he wants to go there and Dragons happy for him to go. Any player will go to elsewhere if the money, position they are most comfortable in and the surrounds are right. Dragons can make all 3 attractive. 2019 there was 1 he was not happy with and from 2020 potentially 2 if they are not careful. Another clue..he enjoys his surrounds!...and his girl......but as you know things happen...Trent Merrin ring a bell. :D
But of course Mulholland would be interested. PM contacted him as they have history.
Zac was spotted by scouts for Mullholland bringing him from Temora to our SG ball side.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
I can assure you Possm that whoever they want to keep for 2020 and who they are letting go is known by those that matter most.
I give you a little story. There is a reason the headline this week about Zac re Canberra and seeing him as a CENTRE. Player manager just trying to pass on some friendly reminders to the Dragons to shake the tree. There is one key word there...if you can spot it. Not the alarming headline he wants to go there and Dragons happy for him to go. Any player will go to elsewhere if the money, position they are most comfortable in and the surrounds are right. Dragons can make all 3 attractive. 2019 there was 1 he was not happy with and from 2020 potentially 2 if they are not careful. Another clue..he enjoys his surrounds!...and his girl......but as you know things happen...Trent Merrin ring a bell. :D
But of course Mulholland would be interested. PM contacted him as they have history.
Zac was spotted by scouts for Mullholland bringing him from Temora to our SG ball side.
So why hasn't Millward extended Lomax's contract beyond 2020? It's not as if we are flush for good centres and it's not as if we have a fullback ready to play. Long term, I'd say Lomax has his eyes on fullback and all he needs it to be given the chance to play in that position if we want to keep him. Other than that if the Dragons got rid of Aitken and promised right centre to Lomax, I'm sure that would go a long way to sealing his signature.

Yes we need a fullback, a winger and a left centre even with Lomax at right centre and Saab at left wing.

BLM01

First Grade
So why hasn't Millward extended Lomax's contract beyond 2020? It's not as if we are flush for good centres and it's not as if we have a fullback ready to play. Long term, I'd say Lomax has his eyes on fullback and all he needs it to be given the chance to play in that position if we want to keep him. Other than that if the Dragons got rid of Aitken and promised right centre to Lomax, I'm sure that would go a long way to sealing his signature.

Yes we need a fullback, a winger and a left centre even with Lomax at right centre and Saab at left wing.
Zac is not a fullback nor eyeing a fullback position. Millward has not extended cause it is ongoing. How do you know there has not been an offer?.;). The recent media hype should tell you something.
If you have been reading the latest they want to know what the market thinks his price tag is. Smart play and normal process by all parties involved.
It is a process..you just cant stab a contract price in the dark and hop that does it especially if you offer overs...oops!

getsmarty

Immortal
Zac is not a fullback nor eyeing a fullback position. Millward has not extended cause it is ongoing. How do you know there has not been an offer?.;). The recent media hype should tell you something.
If you have been reading the latest they want to know what the market thinks his price tag is. Smart play and normal process by all parties involved.
It is a process..you just cant stab a contract price in the dark and hop that does it especially if you offer overs...oops!

Don't waste your time Chief...certain people have an anti -Millward agenda & will continue on with their narrative no matter what they are told.

TruSaint

Referee
Flanno suggest talks have commenced with Dragons, but no deal done.

( source sporting news.com )

Premiership-winning coach Shane Flanagan has opened up on his coaching future amid strong reports suggesting he will link up with the St. George Illawarra Dragons.

After being cleared by the NRL to return to the coaching frame in an assistant capacity, following his deregistration at the end of last season, Flanagan has reportedly been in close discussions with the Dragons to deputise Paul McGregor.

After their worst finish to a regular season in the joint venture's history, a review into the Dragons' football department, led by mastermind Phil Gould, was thought to see McGregor flicked in the off-season.

The under-pressure coach was spared the axe however, with the review instead identifying better support around McGregor as a necessity, with Flanagan the most suitable candidate.

Having debuted as a player with the Dragons in 1987, Flanagan has acknowledged his close links to the club in the past.

And the former Sharks mentor believes a move to the club would make a lot of sense for him personally.

“There has been discussions and to be really honest I think it would be a great move for me at the moment," Flanagan told Macquarie Sports Radio.

"I made my debut back with Dragons in 1985 when the club was really successful - I think we had three grades in the grand final in '85 and '87.

"Making my debut with the Dragons obviously I've got a bit of history there and I’ve seen what’s happened over the last couple years and I do believe I can help.

"I’m not sure where it’s going to end up and if it’s going to happen but we’ll find out over the next week or two."

The Dragons entered the 2019 season as one of the sides many believed would be contending for the premiership.

The year did not unfold as planned however, with star forward Jack de Belin's court case for alleged sexual assault lingering in the background, and a number of injuries to key players throughout the year.

It all culminated in a 15th place finish to the season, the club's worst as a joint venture, with the typically passionate Dragons' supporter base protesting against the club and calling for McGregor to be stood down.

With a move to the Dragons looming, Flanagan gave an insight into the emotions internally at the Dragons since talking to the club about joining as an assistant coach.

“The Dragons are a really proud club. I had an off the record with Dean Young (assistant coach) and everyone in that club is hurting," Flanagan said.

"I know Brian Johnston and Paul McGregor are working really hard. It's not easy at this stage of the year.

"The players are hurting and the staff are hurting because they’re such a successful club.

"Everyone is punching behind the scenes at the moment and they’ll be working really hard after the Christmas break."

qld redvee

Juniors
BLM01, question for you - If Zac doesnt want to play fullback ( obviously centre) then why does supercoach keep dribbling on about zac wanting to play fullback ? Guys on triple m yesterday said that saints want to keep zac but saints are looking at Fullback ... So why is the clubs mouthpiece saying we are looking at zac at fullback ..? Obviously supercoach HAS NO INTENTION of splitting up our centres of unexcellence if zac continues to get pushed out of position where he wont meet expectations and becomes road kill ... We really need the announcement of flanno so some type of order is reinstated to the team .. We all know that lafai and aitken wont move as no one will pick up the complete payments so supercoach needs to have someone tell him enough is enough let the buggers play CC unless injuries dictate otherwise ..We must keep Zac and give him a centre spot for the season ( with a game plan to suit )

BLM01

First Grade
BLM01, question for you - If Zac doesnt want to play fullback ( obviously centre) then why does supercoach keep dribbling on about zac wanting to play fullback ? Guys on triple m yesterday said that saints want to keep zac but saints are looking at Fullback ... So why is the clubs mouthpiece saying we are looking at zac at fullback ..? Obviously supercoach HAS NO INTENTION of splitting up our centres of unexcellence if zac continues to get pushed out of position where he wont meet expectations and becomes road kill ... We really need the announcement of flanno so some type of order is reinstated to the team .. We all know that lafai and aitken wont move as no one will pick up the complete payments so supercoach needs to have someone tell him enough is enough let the buggers play CC unless injuries dictate otherwise ..We must keep Zac and give him a centre spot for the season ( with a game plan to suit )

Because of their disappointment and concern re Dufty and wingers and panic re securing another fullback.
And Mr no Plan B panicked further when Widdop was injured Round 3 after his brain storm looked bad picking Widdop at fullback which was a mistake from Round 1.
Plenty on here said it. We had to secure a replacement but the Norman Hunt Widdop combo was never going to work immediately and 1 should of been bench for the start of 2019 and McBrainstorm outsmarted himself thinking it was a masterstroke and we would be scintilating in attack listening to others.
Norman should of been bench and it upset the working of the team when they were expecting to be as they were in 2018 and that all got turned on its head. Dufty Widdop Hunt combo should of started the year

Zac has had some injury concerns and McBrainstorm who does like his current centres believing they are physical as his prime like...
Zac needed more time on the field in the trials in the centre but McBrainstorm panicked there too cause the wingers were not up to scratch..and he made 1 or 2 mistakes in the centre in the 1st trial so just went back to his tried and true
Then Zac had another injury and that was it for him in 2019..he was there to plug holes which was wrong.
Zac is still young and has time to grow into the physicality of a top centre with his step, passing game and defence technique.
Had he started centre Round 1 would of worked into fitness and improved as the year went on.

Bottom line McGregor knows what he wants if there are no injuries but still cant coach. Then he is really lost if there is.

Saint Pedro

Juniors
I’d be keeping Sailor at fullback. Lomax and Pearson one side, rava as the other centre with Saab outside him. If Flanagan can concentrate on the backs and defence, we will be much better. I thought sailor showed much more of a fullback quality than dufty and field.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
[QUOTE="TruSaint, post: 13857883, member: 40274 ...................
"The players are hurting and the staff are hurting because they’re such a successful club."

[/QUOTE]
Flanno,
No, we are not a successful club.
We may have been many years ago but certainly not for a very long time.

possm

Coach
I’d be keeping Sailor at fullback. Lomax and Pearson one side, rava as the other centre with Saab outside him. If Flanagan can concentrate on the backs and defence, we will be much better. I thought sailor showed much more of a fullback quality than dufty and field.
We need a fullback; Dufty is not up to the job. If we are not going to the market for experienced Fullback and wingers then maybe Norman at fullback and Dufty or Clune at five-eighth.