What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rabbitohs rumours, signings, injuries etc

callmack1

Staff member
It's obviously a real shame to see Sam miss out on the Lions games through injury and it certainly is a concern that his shoulder is still hampering him but at the same time, I'm kind of glad he won't be playing. Sam is one of our players who needs a big rest and he'll get that now which will hopefully benefit him.

Travitoh

First Grade
It's obviously a real shame to see Sam miss out on the Lions games through injury and it certainly is a concern that his shoulder is still hampering him but at the same time, I'm kind of glad he won't be playing. Sam is one of our players who needs a big rest and he'll get that now which will hopefully benefit him.

As an Australian Souths supporter, this is fantastic news haha

Souths Till I Die

First Grade

Sam needs a good 6 months off. Even if he missed the first couple of rounds of the season I don’t want to see him cut his career short due to his shoulder.

callmack1

Staff member
Burgess' playing future clouded over chronic shoulder injury: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/09/burgess-playing-future-clouded-over-chronic-shoulder-injury/

Sam Burgess faces massive decision as shoulder injury threatens career: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/530b1f41d6700b634a75a9938f3b44c5

Okay I am honestly freaking out like you wouldn't believe right now!! Shit, I'm freaking out over this!! I can't bare the thought of losing Sam heading into 2020. We've already lost GI and Sutto, I can't bare to lose another all time great. Honestly if he retires I'll be a mess. Won't handle it well at all to be honest.

It doesn't sound good and obviously, his long term health comes first but god, I hope he plays on!

Travitoh

First Grade
Burgess' playing future clouded over chronic shoulder injury: https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/09/burgess-playing-future-clouded-over-chronic-shoulder-injury/

Sam Burgess faces massive decision as shoulder injury threatens career: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...y/news-story/530b1f41d6700b634a75a9938f3b44c5

Okay I am honestly freaking out like you wouldn't believe right now!! Shit, I'm freaking out over this!! I can't bare the thought of losing Sam heading into 2020. We've already lost GI and Sutto, I can't bare to lose another all time great. Honestly if he retires I'll be a mess. Won't handle it well at all to be honest.

It doesn't sound good and obviously, his long term health comes first but god, I hope he plays on!

Thing is, if his body is busted then it's no good keeping him around. Especially at his price.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
With GI and Sutton gone we need him more than ever

I reckon because of how good of a player we know Sam can be we give him a break at the start of the season and let Su’a really make the other second row spot his own. I believe as a team we have become so reliant on certain players making miracle plays in certain games but we can’t expect players like Cook, Reynolds, Walker, Murray to make those plays when they’re playing busted. I’d be giving Cook and Murray a big rest over the origin period and I’d be giving Reynolds and Walker a couple of games off throughout the year. We really don’t need these players playing when we play bottom 4 teams. We looked exhausted near the end of the season and we peaked way too early so hopefully we don’t turn into May Premiers like the dragons in 2020 again.

NovoBunny94

Juniors
Yeah I’m quite scared, tbh. Obviously his health is first and foremost.
Re: South Sydney team giving players rests and time off - I agree, we looked very tired toward the end of the year and we did peak too early, much like the Dragons.

Apparently Souths can’t get Salary cap exemption if he does end up retiring early which is a double blow really..

callmack1

Staff member
I don't know if this is true but this article from Sporting News sounds more promising. If he is considering stem cell treatment, that's a good indication of where his mindset is at. I have no doubt he wouldn't want his career to end like this. Of course, it may end like this, we don't know yet but just the fact that he is considering the treatment in the US is kind of a good sign.

Sam Burgess reportedly considering stem cell treatment as retirement rumours grow

Sam Burgess is reportedly considering travelling to the United States to undergo stem cell treatment amid growing concerns he may have already played his last game of rugby league.

It was this week revealed the 30-year-old will miss Great Britain’s tour of New Zealand and Papua New Guinea as he battles arthritis in his shoulder.

Burgess has twice had his left shoulder reconstructed and required minor surgery again in June, missing six games as a result.

He returned for South Sydney in Round 20 but aggravated the chronic condition in the Rabbitohs’ semi-final loss to Canberra.

Channel Nine news on Thursday reported Burgess is considering heading stateside to undergo stem cell treatment in a desperate bid to prolong his career.

But News Limited journalist James Hooper told Triple M there are genuine fears in the Burgess camp that the big Englishman could be forced to retire before the start of the 2020 NRL season.

“He’s going to go and speak to some surgeons and consult some experts and just get some specific medical advice about exactly where his body is at,” Hooper told Triple M.

“But the worst-case scenario, and I have to stress that it is the worst-case scenario, is that Sam may have played his last game in the NRL.

“Now that’s not a fait accompli at this point in time … but there are certainly growing concerns that given where Sam’s body is at and all the torture that he’s put it through over the course of a decorated and long career, that perhaps he may need to look at that (retirement) as an option.”

Rugby league writer for The Australian, Brent Read, last week told Sporting News Australia Burgess' shoulder is a ‘massive issue’.

Read added the big Englishman is next to no chance of seeing out the remaining three seasons of his lucrative deal at the Bunnies.

Former Penrith, Manly and Rabbitohs prop Mark ‘Spudd’ Carroll, who is close with Burgess, echoed those concerns in an interview with Macquarie Sports Radio on Thursday.

“I don’t know what you can do, do you go to the (United States) and try something amazing over there?” Carroll said.

“He’s in a really serious position. His movement is horrible, I can’t believe how little movement (45 degrees) he had.”

Latest posts