What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 GF | PREMIERS - Roosters 14-8 Raiders @ ANZ

Grand Final: Roosters v Raiders

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pete Cash

Post Whore
But so what? Every team gets some dud decisions every game. Why obsess about one that you don’t even know would have made any difference to the result? It’s not like they disallowed a fair try for example, or wrongly sent a Raiders player off.

Teams get worse calls than that one every game. Unfortunately channel 9 sensationalised it and for some it’s become a much bigger deal than it should be.

Because I’ve literally never seen this happen before

The unknown

Juniors
How was it a blunder when the correct decision was made? Or do you think 6 again was the right call?

Raiders not scoring a try doesn't justify the decision (not that it needs justification) it just shows they had plenty of other opportunities.

Last night they changed the decision to a correct one a split second after making the original decision because they communicated with each other. They probably could have changed the Melbourne one but that involves the bunker as the refs didn't realise they got it wrong so a different set of circumstances.

I have never seen so much uproar over a correct decision. Had it of stood as 6 again that would have been incorrect which appears to be the preferred course of action on here.

Not denying it was the correct call. But if you can find me a game where a referee has made a call then irradically changed his mind 5 seconds after said call then be my guest. Especially in the biggest game of the year

Valheru

Coach
Not denying it was the correct call. But if you can find me a game where a referee has made a call then irradically changed his mind 5 seconds after said call then be my guest. Especially in the biggest game of the year

Is it not a good thing if they change it to a correct call?

I accept Canberra run a different play if last is called originally. They still had plenty of other opportunities and could have defended our try

big hit!

Bench
This is irrelevant because Wighton obviously went off the 6 to go signal. The reason why the refs use signals in the first place is because it's hard to hear them.

I mean ive never seen this happen before and across most sports i follow refs arent supposed to just change their mind while the ball is alive creating confusion on the field. If roles were reversed im sure you would be annoyed and id agree you were dudded (although id not be handing back the trophy)

The ref clearly had an impact on the play. That's why they dont just randomly change their minds whiles the ball is alive

You’re dealing with Roosters fans mate. They have no junior comp so have probably never laced a boot on in their lives apart from when they had a little kick to kick at the local park when they were swannies fans.

They’re hanging their argument on inept :microphone: up official repeating a changed call after he initially signalled a different decision. I didn’t realise players now wear ear pieces on the field. You and I know that in the heat of a contest that the initial signal is what you register and respond to that. Since when is a decision ever changed mid-play? You’re not anticipating for a ref to change his mind. You’re evaluating what to do from a strategy aspect immediately. And then you add the noise of the crowd which was raucous last night.

But their awful fans shouldn’t take away from the roosters defensive effort last night (apart from crichton’s Error - easily the highest paid weakness in that club). Mitchell was outstanding in the second half shutting down threats, and their organisation generally was what we expect of this side. Canberra’s tactics to kick early in sets to isolate Teddy in first half worked well for the territory battle. They peppered Morris repeatedly with the high ball in the second half and he was absolutely majestic defusing each threat.

Canberra will feel cheated with 3 decisions - the physio, sezer copping a high tackle in attacking position worse than anything Keary received for no penalty, and the 6 again/last call. They were not defensively organised and preparing for another set. That hesitation Is all Keary and Mitchell needed - Bang!

Valheru

Coach
You’re dealing with Roosters fans mate. They have no junior comp so have probably never laced a boot on in their lives apart from when they had a little kick to kick at the local park when they were swannies fans.

They’re hanging their argument on inept :microphone: up official repeating a changed call after he initially signalled a different decision. I didn’t realise players now wear ear pieces on the field. You and I know that in the heat of a contest that the initial signal is what you register and respond to that. Since when is a decision ever changed mid-play? You’re not anticipating for a ref to change his mind. You’re evaluating what to do from a strategy aspect immediately. And then you add the noise of the crowd which was raucous last night.

But their awful fans shouldn’t take away from the roosters defensive effort last night (apart from crichton’s Error - easily the highest paid weakness in that club). Mitchell was outstanding in the second half shutting down threats, and their organisation generally was what we expect of this side. Canberra’s tactics to kick early in sets to isolate Teddy in first half worked well for the territory battle. They peppered Morris repeatedly with the high ball in the second half and he was absolutely majestic defusing each threat.

Canberra will feel cheated with 3 decisions - the physio, sezer copping a high tackle in attacking position worse than anything Keary received for no penalty, and the 6 again/last call. They were not defensively organised and preparing for another set. That hesitation Is all Keary and Mitchell needed - Bang!

Must suck to be a souffs fan. The decade that you unfairly broke your premiership drought will be forever remembered for the roosters dominance.

Lol. I think in the madness of the final 10 minutes of a GF it's pretty challenging to expect a player to pick up a change of ruling in that scenario. These guys don't have two eyes on the ref, they probably catching the waving motion out of a corner of the eye and play to that.

True but they have ears. I know the crowd wad loud but the ref was ten yards away and called “last tackle” four times. The first was before Wighton touched the ball.

big hit!

Bench
Must suck to be a souffs fan. The decade that you unfairly broke your premiership drought will be forever remembered for the roosters dominance.
I’m lauding your team mate. They are one of the great rugby league sides to play this game. The circumstances in achieving this second premiership are less than desirable though. You cannot argue against it.

I was at the redfern Oval and the woolpack the day after winning a GF. No forum in site. Get out there and do same. Enjoy your win rather than getting bogged here.

Sorry Spock, the Raiders did have about 90 yards to stop them. It's not like the ruling was made 40 or 50 yards from the Canberra line. Canberra where obliged to play on just like Easts were, and their mindset should have switched directly from attack to defense straight away just like any other time in the match when possession was turned over.

Sure the refs confused the shit out of everyone, but I bet this is the last time this mistake happens again. From the refs and the players.

I was at the game and I was perplexed when it happened as I thought I'd seen Cummins rule 6 again. Now I've seen a few times replays of the incident and heard the referees audio. Did it have an impact? Yes it did. To say otherwise is silly.

Thing is if you listen to Cummins in the audio, to me it sounded like he had no real idea if it had come off a Roosters player or not. He sounded like he was asking for confirmation from either the pocket referee or the touch judges. Instead of waiting for the extra second for the info, he signals and calls six again.

Then Cummins gets told it came off a Canberra player and he changes his signal, and yells out "last tackle" at least 3 times. All 13 Canberra players had switched off and were not paying attention. Yes it was controversial, but in hindsight I'm surprised none of the Raiders heard/reacted to Cummins' changed call as they had enough time to communicate it it - they didn't react. Sad that it happened to be honest.

Thing is no matter what you do, errors are going to happen as our match officials are only human. Humans are not perfect and never will be. I can understand people being upset, I know I'd be if the situation was reversed, but it is what it is regrettably.

I was watching at the pub and couldn't hear why Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad go off - someone said it was cramp???

Last game of the season and you're going off for cramps... that burns an interchange and creates a backline shuffle that didn't help the cause.

That is what was reported on the Fox Sports replay. I thought CNK was the Raiders best on ground, so for him to go off would have effected them as they missed his running on kick-returns. Carrying a three quarter on the interchange bench like the Raiders did was weird in my opinion.

TheFrog

Coach
It's a bit like watching the best movie you have seen in years only for someone to come along with 15 minutes to go and ruins the ending for you which would have been epic. Roosters fans are happy because it's the result they wanted in the end, Raiders fans unhappy because it's the result they didn't want and the neutrals want their money back because the experience has now been tainted.

I think the ref system needs to be looked at strongly in the offseason to prevent a recurrence of that issue.
They need to look at the Million Pound Game played 12 hours before and how smoothly it ran without bunkers and a thousand shouting voices in the refs ears. There were one or two debatable calls but the teams just got on with the game and the better side won.

All 13 Canberra players had switched off and were not paying attention.
How could they hear anything with 83,000 screaming fans?

2 weeks

Coach
I was lucky enough to there last night, and as a neutral i gotta say " what a game of footy that was ! "

It had everything.

Congrats to both teams on great seasons and a remarkable finale.

If i could compare it to another sport, it reminded me of a heavyweight title fight from the days they fought for 15 rounds.

The Roosters controlled the first 3 rounds, but the next 9 were all the Raiders.

They had the Roosters staggered, and to my eyes the Roosters looked to be waiting to be knocked out, but the Raiders couldn't lay the fatal blow.

Then we hit rounds 13-15 ( the championship rounds ) and these were all the Roosters imo.

Raiders are different gravy this year, and Simple Jack is turning into an elite of the game.

But when it was time to win the fight the Roosters knew what to do, but this is also when the Raiders got confused and dropped their bundle a little bit, but it was enough to cost them big time.

Stevie Wonder being one of the refs was disappointing .

Vic Mackey

Referee
I was at the game and I was perplexed when it happened as I thought I'd seen Cummins rule 6 again. Now I've seen a few times replays of the incident and heard the referees audio. Did it have an impact? Yes it did. To say otherwise is silly.

Thing is if you listen to Cummins in the audio, to me it sounded like he had no real idea if it had come off a Roosters player or not. He sounded like he was asking for confirmation from either the pocket referee or the touch judges. Instead of waiting for the extra second for the info, he signals and calls six again.

Then Cummins gets told it came off a Canberra player and he changes his signal, and yells out "last tackle" at least 3 times. All 13 Canberra players had switched off and were not paying attention. Yes it was controversial, but in hindsight I'm surprised none of the Raiders heard/reacted to Cummins' changed call as they had enough time to communicate it it - they didn't react. Sad that it happened to be honest.

Thing is no matter what you do, errors are going to happen as our match officials are only human. Humans are not perfect and never will be. I can understand people being upset, I know I'd be if the situation was reversed, but it is what it is regrettably.

That is what was reported on the Fox Sports replay. I thought CNK was the Raiders best on ground, so for him to go off would have effected them as they missed his running on kick-returns. Carrying a three quarter on the interchange bench like the Raiders did was weird in my opinion.

Agree with a lot of what you are saying. Referees are human and will always make mistakes. It does seem odd to me that so much is being made of this error but basically nothing of BJ stuffing up a simple 2 on 1. If he makes that then the referees are likely taken out of it.

I do however think it’s a bit of a stretch how Roosters fans are excusing it saying ‘Wighton should have heard the ref change his call.’ What precedent is there for him to expect that? A ruling had been made, are players expected to look at a referee every 2 seconds to see if they’ve changed their mind? There was 82,000 people there, even if he did hear a ‘last!’ Call who’s to say it was the referee? Opposition players yell shit all the time/call for the ball etc.

I also believe it’s very different to a dud forward pass/missed knock on etc call as stuff like that is 50/50 and happens every game. This is a call that’s really without precedent and it changes what happens during live play. Would it be ok now if a referee yells ‘forward!’ To a pass, the defence drops then but then he yells ‘play on!’ and the player scores? If the pass was actually back it’s sweet right?

At the end of the day it was a monumental error that greatly changed the momentum of the Grand Final. Did it cost the Raiders the game? Abolsutely not. However I totally understand their bemusement and I think it’s fairly laughable that some Roosters fans think a couple of ‘last!’ Yells from the referees made everything ok.

Last edited: