What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 GF | PREMIERS - Roosters 14-8 Raiders @ ANZ

Grand Final: Roosters v Raiders

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Frailty

First Grade
Rooster won and the Raiders lost. The referees did not 'cost the Raiders the game'. Their missed tackles and missed opportunities cost them the game.

Cummins should never have been in the Grand Final though.

beave

Coach
‘6thgate’ was just poorly f**king handled all round and I can see both sets of fans side of it when they present their argument. Pocket ref gave the main ref absolutely zero help when he immediately needed it.

The one incident I can’t believe that hasn’t drawn as much attention was the charge downed kick at 2:40 that rocketed into the trainer. How in the f**k wasn’t that a penalty to the roosters??? Kearys legs were taken out and it was lucky not to cop and injury. The rule was brought in to try and protect the playmakers, but everyone is sooking about the Roosters getting a scrum feed due to a freak ricochet into a trainer.

I still can’t believe the blow up about them getting the feed, they are deemed the attacking team, it is what it is.

I was going for the Raiders but their ineptness in not scoring a try through that 10mins of Cronk off the field cost them the game, not the officiating.

If I were the raiders fans I be blowing up at their f**king pot plant of a right centre blowing a golden opportunity due to hogging the ball and throwing a forward pass than the officiating.

Well done Chooks fans, commiserations raiders fans

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Nah you cant look at individual moments like that or you just go insane and still froth at the mouth over dropped balls against the warriors 20 years ago. I include the errors from the ref in this.

Joey overall was one of our better players last night imo. He made an error there but thats life. Overall our attack just wasnt good enough. Its something stick is trying to fix but we just lack the movement of the better teams.

We lost the game because we are too predictable in attack. The walking heart attack who coaches the roosters wasnt wrong when he called us out on it. Our scrappy play and hard hitting defense will work on teams in the regular season but a grand final against the roosters we need something more than pass to only ball runner moving.

Also not many teams score easily against the roosters 13 or 12 men. In fact teams are getting good at defending with 12 now. We pretty comfortably held out souths with 12 until it was pretty much too late

nick87

Coach
I think the general rule of thumb is if you’re close enough to actually successfully charge down a kick (which is a play by design attacking the legs where the ball is being kicked from) then it’s pretty much fair game

Otherwise you just say the charge down is illegal... it’s basically the roughing the kicker rule in NFL, @beave. If you block the kick, they aren’t going to call roughing... if you don’t block the kick, well the safety of a kicker becomes paramount

there is no chance an official is blowing a penalty for attacking the legs of a kicker when that player successful charged the ball down. And nor should they, it’s still a contact sport after all... otherwise, like I said, you basically say the charge down is too dangerous and make it illegal

age.s

First Grade
The neutrals are angry because that was an awful moment for rugby league. It was just about as good a match as you're likely to see, biggest stage of the game, two great narratives, both sides playing their heart out. Then the worst aspect of RL rears its disgusting head at the absolute worst possible moment. It sticks out like a fly in a milkshake.

I get the Roosters fans not really getting that on the high of a premiership but f**k a few of them have been utterly classless.

Both sets of supporters should be proud of their teams though. The players couldn't possibly have given us more.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I think in general there are refs errors in a game. They arent robots but it was just how unusual the breaks against us were. Like we havent made a gf in 25 years so of course when we get there its the time the trainer gets hit with the ball and a ref calls 6 to go and changes his mind while our playmaker doesnt realise in a close match

Id expect nothing less tbh

The only thing that could top this for that's life as a raiders fan is coming dead last next year

Both arms, hey...

Capture.jpg

Considering Skeepe was talking about Luke Keary, and NOT Victor Radley (who is in your photo) and the fact Radley was penalised for it, you are talking out of your backside. So next time you decide to but in, make sure you know what the heck you are talking about numbskull.

bileduct

Coach
Considering Skeepe was talking about Luke Keary, and NOT Victor Radley (who is in your photo) and the fact Radley was penalised for it, you are talking out of your backside. So next time you decide to but in, make sure you know what the heck you are talking about numbskull.
I couldn't give a shit who skeepe is talking about.

Radley came in both late (what he was actually penalised for) and used his leg to trip up Wighton. Wasn't cited by MRC.

TheFrog

Coach
Penrith fans - still salty about Fittler after all these years
He won one premiership at the Roosters, same as at us. It was a premiership won when they were the second best team, just like this year. It was satisfying to see the prick make the losing speech in '03.

We haven't won many but we've been the best team when we have.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I think in general there are refs errors in a game. They arent robots but it was just how unusual the breaks against us were. Like we havent made a gf in 25 years so of course when we get there its the time the trainer gets hit with the ball and a ref calls 6 to go and changes his mind while our playmaker doesnt realise
Our campaign started with one of our players being taken out by fireworks. If this sh*t is going to happen to anyone...

GAZF

First Grade
Was fully expecting to lose yesterday, but the closeness of the result made it agonising. Controversies aside, it was a fantastic game. The Roosters were the better team and showed us the required standard to become premiers. Congrats to the Roosters and their fans for achieving what's been considered near-impossible in the salary cap era - both clinically defensive and forward thinking in attack, a style I hope other teams are influenced by in the future to counter cynical playing styles and make the game the spectacle it deserves to be.

Hopefully we take these lessons learned in the finals series into next year and build on this year's performance. Its certainly no guarantee that we'll be as lucky as this year, but I'm cautiously optimistic that Stick and the coaching staff have finally instituted a winning culture in the team. Bar catastrophic injuries, there won't be an excuse for the typical regressions we've seen in follow-up years at Canberra. Stick's now got his rep players, a killer forward pack, (what will hopefully be) a more active halves pairing, and a squad of players with competitive grand final experience. Next year will primarily depend on attitude and hunger.

It was an amazing lead-in week; the work week was close to a write-off, the Raiders being the focus of the RL world was surreal, having your family and mates call you all through the week with best wishes, the banter here was straight up idiotic and hilarious. It was all topped at my first grand final where I was completely floored by the atmosphere provided by both sets of fans. Regardless of the numbers of bandwagoners and neutrals playing dress-ups, it really was a special day for the week-in week-out fans of either sides. Trotting out the 80's/90's legends drove the fans nuts and took me back to watching the 94 finals where I jumped over to the Raiders to be a little shit (would not advise this long term investment in retrospect). The deafening viking claps until the webbings on your fingers bruised. Jack's run to the line right in front of all of us, only to have Tedesco return serve at the end. It was exhausting.

I'll never forget the experience, and am thankful that a work trip was delayed so that the wife and I could attend. I sincerely hope that fans here of the scrub teams (you know who you are) have some degree of success in the near future, just for the experience of getting to the big dance (blech), because days like yesterday mean the world to those of us who stick by the teams that are perpetually losers and wont be taken for granted.

As a side-note, One Republic should have been replaced with Ryan James trying to remember his lines for 20 minutes.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Part of the reason so many people are still filthy about 6gate is, from what I’ve seen on here/social media etc, most Roosters fans are like ‘F*#k you there was nothing wrong with it!’

There’s absolutely no need for them to apologize, or to be any less proud of the Premiership, but surely a simple ‘Yep we got that one, that’s footy I guess’ would have gone down a lot better with everyone

GAZF

First Grade
An area we need to improve is depth. Lui is honest but he has a habit of terrible mistakes. He would be behind a ton of players at thr roosters
He has gone backwards a bit from the middle of the year. Was dreading his scheduled drop when he came off the bench.

Meapro Ham

Juniors
He won one premiership at the Roosters, same as at us. It was a premiership won when they were the second best team, just like this year. It was satisfying to see the prick make the losing speech in '03.

We haven't won many but we've been the best team when we have.

Doesn’t get any saltier than that!

Doesn’t matter who you think was the 2nd best team captain salty. Roosters name is on the trophy and that’s all that counts.

Latest posts