What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodbye 2010 -2019

TheFrog

Coach
We've had 7 different GF winners in this decade????
Yep, same old teams making the top 4 and the GF. Different winners don't paper these cracks. Half of the 10 premierships won by the big 2 and 9 appearances in GF's by the big 2. This is why I thought the Raiders would be looked after yesterday but it wasn't the case.

flippikat

Bench
Yep, same old teams making the top 4 and the GF. Different winners don't paper these cracks. Half of the 10 premierships won by the big 2 and 9 appearances in GF's by the big 2. This is why I thought the Raiders would be looked after yesterday but it wasn't the case.

Exactly.. and there's no clear sign of the Roosters & Storm sliding out of the top 4 next year.

*Maybe* with Cronk retiring the Roosters might drop a little.. but I doubt if that alone will do it - I think Cam Smith will be a bigger loss to the Storm, but then again Bellamy has coped with big names leaving before, so who knows?

Looking to the rest of the contenders, it's hard to see a team joining them to be a regular power.

Raiders? Yeah, that would be great.. but you have to wonder what this loss has done psychologically to them. Will it spur them to do better next time, or prove to be a crushing blow?

Parramatta? Yeah, a "sleeping giant" with a great potential fortress in Bankwest, but so inconsistent.

Souths? Again, consistency. Ill discipline from Sam Burgess doesn't help at times either.

...and so on...

pantherz9103

First Grade
Well my team made no grand finals despite all the promise so from a Rugby League perspective I'll be glad to see the end of the 2010's. That and my most hated NSW team won the last 2 comps, which is almost enough to make me question whether I keep bothering to follow this comp so closely... But at least my other most hated team lost 58-0 in their last outing.. silver lining...

The 2020's might not be any better but my perspective is changing.. I think now that I'm (same age as Paul Gallen) am older than everyone playing NRL, I just don't have the same passion anymore for the players or the game that I used to. I could watch a classic game from 1991 or 2003 all day but the 2019 much more robotic style of play, not so much.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Exactly.. and there's no clear sign of the Roosters & Storm sliding out of the top 4 next year.

*Maybe* with Cronk retiring the Roosters might drop a little.. but I doubt if that alone will do it - I think Cam Smith will be a bigger loss to the Storm, but then again Bellamy has coped with big names leaving before, so who knows?

Looking to the rest of the contenders, it's hard to see a team joining them to be a regular power.

Raiders? Yeah, that would be great.. but you have to wonder what this loss has done psychologically to them. Will it spur them to do better next time, or prove to be a crushing blow?

Parramatta? Yeah, a "sleeping giant" with a great potential fortress in Bankwest, but so inconsistent.

Souths? Again, consistency. Ill discipline from Sam Burgess doesn't help at times either.

...and so on...

Warriors year, you heard it here first

Front-Rower

First Grade
We've had 7 different GF winners in this decade????

How? Melbourne and Roosters combined won 5 of the 10 competitions

Edit - you’re right that 7 clubs won comps in this decade though it doesn’t defeat the original point that the same old teams keep winning as 2 of these clubs won 5 of the 10 competitions in this decade

flippikat

Bench
Warriors year, you heard it here first

I can only hope!

While it's great that Autex has stepped up to be sole-owner.. and they can go ahead investing & making decisions without running everything past the Trust/ARL.. I still don't see the current coaching staff delivering - even if they're "finally resourced properly" (which is the argument from Autex - that the Warriors have underperformed because of under-investment).

flippikat

Bench
The 2020's might not be any better but my perspective is changing.. I think now that I'm (same age as Paul Gallen) am older than everyone playing NRL, I just don't have the same passion anymore for the players or the game that I used to. I could watch a classic game from 1991 or 2003 all day but the 2019 much more robotic style of play, not so much.

Yeah.. I'd love to see a re-emergence of attacking, ad-lib footy - the question is, what teams could spearhead such a change in the game's focus? (Raiders? Eels? Warriors?!?)

Haffa

Thank god that’s over.

87 wins 2 Draws 151 Losses. 1 winning season which was only because a draw made it 12-1-11. 2 final series last one 6 seasons ago. 3 Spoons in a row.

If we ever win one again we can’t be accused of not deserving it.

The decade that started with the powers that be actively trying to eliminate the wrestle from the ruck and ended with the wrestle being more prominent than ever.

Perth Red

Post Whore
How? Melbourne and Roosters combined won 5 of the 10 competitions

Edit - you’re right that 7 clubs won comps in this decade though it doesn’t defeat the original point that the same old teams keep winning as 2 of these clubs won 5 of the 10 competitions in this decade

So if 7different clubs in a decade isn’t enough how many do you think it should be? But for a bit of bad luck last night we could have 8.