What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 GF | PREMIERS - Roosters 14-8 Raiders @ ANZ

Grand Final: Roosters v Raiders

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pete Cash

Post Whore
He has gone backwards a bit from the middle of the year. Was dreading his scheduled drop when he came off the bench.

Hopefully with a full preseason under the belt Sutton can take his spot. Sutton has pretty bad hands too though.

Maybe we can move beej to prop lol

Spot On

Coach
‘6thgate’ was just poorly f**king handled all round and I can see both sets of fans side of it when they present their argument. Pocket ref gave the main ref absolutely zero help when he immediately needed it.

The one incident I can’t believe that hasn’t drawn as much attention was the charge downed kick at 2:40 that rocketed into the trainer. How in the f**k wasn’t that a penalty to the roosters??? Kearys legs were taken out and it was lucky not to cop and injury. The rule was brought in to try and protect the playmakers, but everyone is sooking about the Roosters getting a scrum feed due to a freak ricochet into a trainer.

I still can’t believe the blow up about them getting the feed, they are deemed the attacking team, it is what it is.

I was going for the Raiders but their ineptness in not scoring a try through that 10mins of Cronk off the field cost them the game, not the officiating.

If I were the raiders fans I be blowing up at their f**king pot plant of a right centre blowing a golden opportunity due to hogging the ball and throwing a forward pass than the officiating.

Well done Chooks fans, commiserations raiders fans

Exactly re Soliola tackling Keary in air whilst putting a kick up. Should have been a Rooster penalty.

Sure the refs made a few errors both ways but the 6 again issue has been blown out of proportion.

Canberra have themselves to blame for the result.

In the first 10 mins Berrills takes advantage of a lazy Tapine who had his back turned after being dead slow getting onside and Papali poor from marker. Klokstad pulled out of position to cover for Tapine, Berrills sees it, steps, try Roosters.

BJ doing his usual thing and having a brainsnap not passing when he should have to blow a try.

12 points there alone.

Valheru

Coach
Part of the reason so many people are still filthy about 6gate is, from what I’ve seen on here/social media etc, most Roosters fans are like ‘F*#k you there was nothing wrong with it!’

There’s absolutely no need for them to apologize, or to be any less proud of the Premiership, but surely a simple ‘Yep we got that one, that’s footy I guess’ would have gone down a lot better with everyone

Can't agree with this Vic

Everyone on social media is trying to detract from our B2B achievement due to the 6 again thing with many suggestions that Canberra win if the decision sticks. No one cares that that would have been the wrong decision.

I get that Canberra were confused on that last play, it is regrettable but to me the result of an ultimately correct call being made albeit costing Canberra a chance at a kick option is far better than the othercteam having to defend a fresh set of 6 due to an incorrect call.

Had the shoe been on the other foot no one is talking about this incident.

It is just sour grapes that the roosters won.

The above is relevant to social media more than LU.

Incorrect

Coach
I hate the argument or the notion that the Raiders did themselves no favours by not scoring in the 2nd half with all that possession and an extra man for 10 minutes while Cronk was in the bin. There's nothing in any rugby league rulebook or gameplan that says "if you dominate possession and field territory for x-minutes and don't score, then you have no right to complain if you lose the game". I've heard the likes of Sterlo say that the Raiders lost the game by not scoring in that period in the 2nd half. Bollocks - the Raiders didn't LOSE the game in that period, the Roosters did everything they were asked to WIN the game at that time.

FFS, the last time my team won a GF, the score was 4-2 and there wasn't a try scored in the match. Both teams "had opportunities" to score but didn't so which won deserved to lose despite having their chances??

The in play change of ruling from 6 again to last tackle was embarrassing on the code's biggest stage. Absolutely embarrassing and heads should roll, nothing surer. People arguing that ref's change decisions all the time are delusional. There is a clear difference between what happened last night and a ref getting a call from the Bunker to change say a 20 metre tap instead of a drop out. What happened last night was akin to a player knocking on, ref calling it, everyone stopping and then ref saying 2 seconds later , "No sorry, play on, came off his knee"... and player running away to score up the other end. Again, embarrassing that it came down to such an incompetent decision. No conviction from the people in charge, simple as that and that includes the politician in waiting Mr Greenberg. All lip service and no substance.

In saying all of that, if the 6 again call stood and Sezer kicks a field goal and they win by 1, that's not a great result either given it shouldn't have been 6 again. But people are more prepared to live with a bad call than a couple of yellow bellied refs who ruined the games biggest day. Time for the 2 ref nonsense to be ended now.

why are rooster fans so cocky? they struggled to put away a team of lesser knowns with their multi million dollar roster. LOL, they shoulda won by 20 if they were serious...

edabomb

First Grade
Pretty hard to believe it didn't graze Tedesco from the slowed down and zoomed in footage on NRL 360. One of those ones I don't think would have been analysed too much post match if the referees had stuck with the decision.

King hit

Coach
I knew a Roosters victory would prove to be another piss poor ending to a season, but oh boy is it sooo much worse than even I thought it would be lol.

The media tomorrow are going to have an absolute field day. We've probably just seen the end of the 2 referee system.

I am terrified for the health of my favorite sport.

7EFC6099-FCC2-4140-821A-0995E7C10922.jpeg

Cockosh

Juniors
Watching from up in the nosebleeds last night even I saw the 6 again signalled and was confused by the change of call. Didn’t realise the extent of the controversy till driving home. The irony to me is that Cummins original call would’ve screwed us and his hand was forced to overturn by sutton calling it and all the memes and commentary are about him doing us a favour.
I’d be livid if it was the other way around but I’d be equally livid if they scored from that.
I also cannot understand the outrage over the trainer incident at beginning. Why is no one talking about a penalty and possible for sinbin against soliola taking kearys legs? They are called every game. Crooks sinbin was rough.
I was convinced we would lose but our defence was just amazing as it has been the last 2 months. It really should be celebrated.
A totally different experience to last year. Not as euphoric. Just relief. Incredible performance by raiders but that’s one of the toughest wins I can recall. The manly semi from 2013 is close. It’s a shame refs incompetence will overshadow it.
Go Easts. We are living thru one of the greatest periods in our clubs proud history. Something to appreciate having followed therm thru the lean 80s and 90s.

beave

Coach
Watching from up in the nosebleeds last night even I saw the 6 again signalled and was confused by the change of call. Didn’t realise the extent of the controversy till driving home. The irony to me is that Cummins original call would’ve screwed us and his hand was forced to overturn by sutton calling it and all the memes and commentary are about him doing us a favour.
I’d be livid if it was the other way around but I’d be equally livid if they scored from that.
I also cannot understand the outrage over the trainer incident at beginning. Why is no one talking about a penalty and possible for sinbin against soliola taking kearys legs? They are called every game. Crooks sinbin was rough.
I was convinced we would lose but our defence was just amazing as it has been the last 2 months. It really should be celebrated.
A totally different experience to last year. Not as euphoric. Just relief. Incredible performance by raiders but that’s one of the toughest wins I can recall. The manly semi from 2013 is close. It’s a shame refs incompetence will overshadow it.
Go Easts. We are living thru one of the greatest periods in our clubs proud history. Something to appreciate having followed therm thru the lean 80s and 90s.

I honestly thought the sin bin of Cronk was bang on the money. A penalty try would have been too harsh and a non-sin bin too lenient. Canberra shit the bed the next 10mins though, didn’t look controlled at all. I’d still be fuming at BJ though, he blew the golden chance by holding onto the ball instead of passing. Boneheaded decision.

Danish

Referee
I honestly thought the sin bin of Cronk was bang on the money. A penalty try would have been too harsh and a non-sin bin too lenient. Canberra shit the bed the next 10mins though, didn’t look controlled at all. I’d still be fuming at BJ though, he blew the golden chance by holding onto the ball instead of passing. Boneheaded decision.

BJ was also the one who conceded the match winning line break by turning his back on the opposition. Keary makes a bee line straight for him to put Mitchell and toops away.

Danish

Referee
I hate the argument or the notion that the Raiders did themselves no favours by not scoring in the 2nd half with all that possession and an extra man for 10 minutes while Cronk was in the bin. There's nothing in any rugby league rulebook or gameplan that says "if you dominate possession and field territory for x-minutes and don't score, then you have no right to complain if you lose the game". I've heard the likes of Sterlo say that the Raiders lost the game by not scoring in that period in the 2nd half. Bollocks - the Raiders didn't LOSE the game in that period, the Roosters did everything they were asked to WIN the game at that time.

FFS, the last time my team won a GF, the score was 4-2 and there wasn't a try scored in the match. Both teams "had opportunities" to score but didn't so which won deserved to lose despite having their chances??

The in play change of ruling from 6 again to last tackle was embarrassing on the code's biggest stage. Absolutely embarrassing and heads should roll, nothing surer. People arguing that ref's change decisions all the time are delusional. There is a clear difference between what happened last night and a ref getting a call from the Bunker to change say a 20 metre tap instead of a drop out. What happened last night was akin to a player knocking on, ref calling it, everyone stopping and then ref saying 2 seconds later , "No sorry, play on, came off his knee"... and player running away to score up the other end. Again, embarrassing that it came down to such an incompetent decision. No conviction from the people in charge, simple as that and that includes the politician in waiting Mr Greenberg. All lip service and no substance.

In saying all of that, if the 6 again call stood and Sezer kicks a field goal and they win by 1, that's not a great result either given it shouldn't have been 6 again. But people are more prepared to live with a bad call than a couple of yellow bellied refs who ruined the games biggest day. Time for the 2 ref nonsense to be ended now.

It’s not akin to a knock on at all.

calling a knock on involves blowing play dead. Once play has been blown dead you can’t call play on.

It’s more akin to putting your hand up to signal last tackle, then realising you got the tackle count wrong and putting it back down again.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Yeah BJ had his "Mundine 99 GF" moment. And it may have cost the Raiders the Premiership.

He also got lazy after tackling Cordner. As did Tapine for Verrill's try.

And that's where it was lost for Canberra. 3 poor moments. Contrast that to the Roosters who don't ever get lazy in defence.

The Storm had all the ball in the 2nd half last week but we had no lazy tackles, no poor decision making. And the same again in the GF.

That sort of defensive quality and unrelenting work ethic and trust in one another - coupled with one moment of attacking brilliance - should be celebrated.

But no, because #6again!

Tapine absolutely fkd it to let in that try. U10s error on goal line at goal post. Still...that stemmed from Trainergate.

Love how Soward is now the authority on #6'n'out. He'd have just fallen over and got Teddy's try reversed.

Yeah BJ had his "Mundine 99 GF" moment. And it may have cost the Raiders the Premiership.

And that's where it was lost for Canberra. 3 poor moments. Contrast that to the Roosters who don't ever get lazy in defence.

The Storm had all the ball in the 2nd half last week but we had no lazy tackles, no poor decision making. And the same again in the GF.

That sort of defensive quality and unrelenting work ethic and trust in one another - coupled with one moment of attacking brilliance - should be celebrated.

But no, because #6again!

As a Souffs fan and RL lover I'm meant to hate on this. But...you're 101% correct.

Enjoy the win. You've done me good with B2B. Never hear Broncos 92/93 mentioned again. Yippee!!!

Haffa

Tapine absolutely fkd it to let in that try. U10s error on goal line at goal post. Still...that stemmed from Trainergate.

Love how Soward is now the authority on #6'n'out. He'd have just fallen over and got Teddy's try reversed.
My under 10’s coach would have blown up if he’d seen any of us turn our back like that in defence. Especially on the line. That was pure laziness.

trainer gate should be referred to as “protect the kicker gate”.

SBD82

Coach

But no, because #6again!
I don’t know if this is true of all neutral fans, but for me this is the greatest shame of what happened.

That was an absolutely cracking game of footy. Canberra were underdogs, but after starting slow they got themselves back in the game, and then drew level. In the first 30 of the second half they threw everything at the roosters, and the roosters defended like champions, and watching it play out was edge of the seat stuff. Genuine footy, where both teams deserved a win and it was going to take a memorable play for the deadlock to be broken. This was priming itself to be one of the greatest GFs.

And then the ref, who has a poor record and probably shouldn’t have been there in the first place, has an absolute brainsnap, and makes a rookie error, and because of him we aren’t talking about the courage of the Raiders or the determination of the roosters.

It just feels like a massive anticlimax when that game should have been one for the ages. There’s a feeling of “what could have been” for the game (not even for the result).

I actually think that the roosters would have gone on to win regardless. Repelling set after set looked as though it was starting to unravel the Raider’s attack. Such a shame that your defensive effort won’t now get the recognition it deserved.

big hit!

Bench
My under 10’s coach would have blown up if he’d seen any of us turn our back like that in defence. Especially on the line. That was pure laziness.

trainer gate should be referred to as “protect the kicker gate”.

having had a day to settle down and re-watch the match sober, i'm in a better position to analyse the game rather than joining the mob with my pitchfork.

the second try was bad too. ignore the 6 again call reversal. coaches demand accountability from players and Ricky Stuart would've been livid at the breakdown of fundamental process on the Tedesco try.

After making a good one-on-one tackle on Cordner on the 4th, he lays behind the ruck. no other Canberra player takes up the mark so Keary has the opportunity to scoot from acting half and make a play on the short-side where he can exploit the Roosters advantage. With Leilua out of the defensive line and no markers to impede his run, Keary runs the gap between the the stand-in 3-man (Bateman) and 2-man (Rapana). He draws Rapana, passes to Mitchell who draws in the wing defender (Sezer), who gets the flick pass out to Tupou. rest is history.

Raiders picked a bad time to switch off, i.e, Keary near the ball. Perhaps if it were Mitchell, Tupou, anyone else at acting half, the result may have been different. Keary is going to exploit anything you give him.

Latest posts