What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another Split in the USA?

Dakink

Bench
Bloody hell.... have to see what Nate thinks of this or has any info on what is going on.

2 steps forward....2 steps back. Such a shame but can really see Canada leaping forward in years to come and becoming a larger power than the USA.

yakstorm

First Grade
Could just be all talk, but concerning that its players involved with the Brooklyn Knights and/or around the New York area which are involved in these discussions.

Maybe in the short-medium term, the whole 'governance' of the US needs to be looked at. Considering the size of the country, and the number of different areas which want to play the game / do things their own way, maybe rather than having one body doing everything, there needs to be some flexibility around the regional governance, with then national items handled by a board where each of the different bodies can have seats on.

Whilst it wouldn't be perfect, it at least would limit what appears to be happening with the USARL, which is what happened with the AMNRL, where the governing body is focused on the opinions / requirements of just one group of stakeholders.

deluded pom?

Coach
From what I can gather from the link in the OP the players aren’t happy about having to pay for their training gear when repping the Hawks among other things. This is strange as I believe the USARL section led by Illfield sucked up all the share of their WC money and the domestic clubs were left to fend for themselves. I don’t know how much the USARL received from any WC profits but I’d love to know where it’s gone.

siv

First Grade
USA is as big as Australia and with many more people

Even in Oz we have 6 state bodies covering the geography

While 51 states doesn't lend to this but something like the NFL conferences does

deluded pom?

Coach
USA is as big as Australia and with many more people

Even in Oz we have 6 state bodies covering the geography

While 51 states doesn't lend to this but something like the NFL conferences does
51? Is Australia officially a US state now? I knew it was only a matter of time.

siv

First Grade
51? Is Australia officially a US state now? I knew it was only a matter of time.

I guess my understanding if America ends at the Pacifuc shores

At the same place the Americans think the world ends

Last edited:

MountainMan

Juniors
Honestly just sounds like a player having a whinge because he and his buddies weren’t picked in the final squad and were asked to pay for their training gear.

deluded pom?

Coach
Honestly just sounds like a player having a whinge because he and his buddies weren’t picked in the final squad and were asked to pay for their training gear.
That might be true but as I posted earlier where’s the money they received from the WC gone? They’ve played one game outside of the USA since the WC, against Jamaica. If a rift doesn’t happen because of this the it’s only a matter of time anyway IMO. The USARL is basically two entities. The Hawks and the domestic teams and any money they make from the WC never gets past the Hawks. Illfield appears to have washed his hands of the domestic side of things. A recipe for disaster IMO.

MountainMan

Juniors
That might be true but as I posted earlier where’s the money they received from the WC gone? They’ve played one game outside of the USA since the WC, against Jamaica. If a rift doesn’t happen because of this the it’s only a matter of time anyway IMO. The USARL is basically two entities. The Hawks and the domestic teams and any money they make from the WC never gets past the Hawks. Illfield appears to have washed his hands of the domestic side of things. A recipe for disaster IMO.
I agree with you on that front,where is the money? It’s mind boggling to me how the domestic comp struggles like it does.Clubs fold and new clubs form near every season .The talent and potential is enormous,just have to look at how good the rugby union competition (MLR) as come along in the past few years