What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roy Master’s article

Carlton

Juniors
Three emails from me still awaiting a reply. At least Doust did answer an email I sent to him some time ago.

You must be mistaken, Roy's positive that they are good men and worried about you're concerns and spend long hours trying to answer your communications. There is so much evidence to support what he has written that we must all have it wrong.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I have never thought much of Roy Master's as a journalist. This article is an excellent example of why - it's unsubstantiated reporting, its well after the events actually happened, and it reaches conclusions based on extremely flimsy evidence. It's not even based on his research, rather as he puts it "according to media reports".

It may well have some basis in fact, but as OV and Carlton have stated it reads more like a propaganda piece designed to exonerate the club, coach and players for a miserable season, with the hidden agenda of encouraging members back to the club. Pity the Club can't come out and announce anything.

Bench
I would tend to believe some points in thr article. Masters would not say those things without checking.
We need to go into siege mode in 2020, our club is under attack from the NRL and we need to show strength not weakness.
Get rid of McIdiot, declare all positions on the Board and invite people to apply for those positions.
Our club is at the crossroads, it’s either fail or succeed.

18to87

First Grade
Three emails from me still awaiting a reply. At least Doust did answer an email I sent to him some time ago.
To be fair, I received a reply. It took about 3 weeks and in the reply he actually made it sound like he only replies to ones that are written respectfully and don't use profanity. Not saying that was yours, just passing on what I took away.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
It’s a good article, what apparently happened behind the scenes is what I thought happened. I’ve played plenty of footy myself, blokes are always going to stick by their mates and have been doing so since Gallipoli. If it is true Bennett predicted a spoon, it’s obvious he knows the psychology of playing group more than all of us on here put together. Let’s get behind our mighty saints in siege mentality. F$&@ the NRL and F$&@ the Rorters.

Gareth67

First Grade
Indeed.

Certainly explains the 28 nil deficit at half time vs the knights.

I thought it was shell-shock coz they were led to believe JDB would be allowed to play.

Clearly according to Roy, it was due to player revolt and potential boycott...

Dragsters - mate I could not believe the score line that day myself , but the recent revelations from R.M. has now shed light upon the Dragon players state of mind - not only on that day , but also for the rest of the season .

Dragsters

First Grade
Dragsters - mate I could not believe the score line that day myself , but the recent revelations from R.M. has now shed light upon the Dragon players state of mind - not only on that day , but also for the rest of the season .

Same.

I was watching that game thinking, there's just no intent, what's going on?

Well, now it seems we may know...

blacksafake

First Grade
To be fair, I received a reply. It took about 3 weeks and in the reply he actually made it sound like he only replies to ones that are written respectfully and don't use profanity. Not saying that was yours, just passing on what I took away.
Well I’m yet to receive any replies from my emails & I was very polite & respectful.
Doust always responded whether you agreed with him or not. I always responded to his reply with a thank you & would do likewise with BJ.

twinkletoes

Juniors
I think Roy Masters is insinuating that the plyers deliberately sabotaged the whole season...that makes a lot of sense considering the lack of effort many of them put in..they were still happy to receive full payment for what was a totally incompetent performance all year

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I think Roy Masters is insinuating that the plyers deliberately sabotaged the whole season...that makes a lot of sense considering the lack of effort many of them put in..they were still happy to receive full payment for what was a totally incompetent performance all year

That's one interpretation, but I don't buy it. In the games I watched there was usually plenty of effort, it was the lack of game plan and basic skills that brought us unstuck. Sure, players went missing occasionally (Hunt, Norman and Duffy I'm looking at you). The rest of the time it was the stupid 5 hit ups kick and hope tactics in attack. Couple that with the useless winger centre defence combinations we had and we were never going to win many games.

Yes they switched off during the Newcastle game. But they had only won 4 out of 9 games before that, including 2 by one point and 1 by two points. We weren't having a good season prior to the Newcastle game and while it turned to shite after that, we still had 5 players selected for Origin. That's not lack of effort, that's poor coaching and one dimensional game plans.

I'm more inclined to believe Phil Gould's inference that MacGregor needs help than Master's insinuation that the players have sabotaged the season.

Slackboy72

Coach
The thing I find most confusing is the Wayne Bennett prediction of the wooden spoon.
Did he think that it would be that disruptive? Did he think no JDB would see our forward pack get walloped?