What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trainers on the field

SBD82

Coach
I know it's usually supposed to be a painful thing but I enjoyed watching it again because it was a really good game. But could just be because masochism is pretty much a requirement of being a Raiders fan.
You’re a braver man than me.

I still can’t bring myself to watch the 99 GF again, even after all these years.

VictoryFC

Bench
People can say whatever they like, but it decided the game. That was the worst part of it. IIRC it was a line goal dropout following that set, afterwhich the try was scored. I can't remember exactly, but the sequence of play from that scrum led to the Roosters first try.

Who gives a crap if Canberra couldn't convert their dominance even at 8-8. Would've been seething the whole game as a Raiders player. It always felt like Raiders were chasing the game and it was all down to cheating and ridiculous rules.

The NRL at least now have the opportunity to make amends. Crack down hard on runners, and make sure nothing like that ever happens again.

In any case, whatever they do, this will always be a tainted premiership.

Mr Spock!

Referee
I pretty sure the AFL just changed their rules to limit trainers on the field, because of similar events. (Don't really follow it closely enough)
Did it 5 years ago by limiting where and when runners could go on after a runner obstructed play in a gf (sound familiar?)

They toughened it up even more this year. Runners weren't allowed on during live play at all.

lazza

Juniors
People can say whatever they like, but it decided the game. That was the worst part of it. IIRC it was a line goal dropout following that set, afterwhich the try was scored. I can't remember exactly, but the sequence of play from that scrum led to the Roosters first try.

Who gives a crap if Canberra couldn't convert their dominance even at 8-8. Would've been seething the whole game as a Raiders player. It always felt like Raiders were chasing the game and it was all down to cheating and ridiculous rules.

The NRL at least now have the opportunity to make amends. Crack down hard on runners, and make sure nothing like that ever happens again.

In any case, whatever they do, this will always be a tainted premiership.
My view on the general comments made.

The trainer hit led to the try and because of that roosters scored - it was a whole set before it happened! It didn’t guarantee the try. Think of it as like a penalty try and how many times teams have to defend their line from bad calls. The hot provided an opportunity but it didn’t guarantee a try. You could also say the trainer wouldn’t have been hit if it wasn’t for an illegal legs tackle in the first place.

Decided the game? People say the 6 again decided the game - I’d say denied an opportunity. You can hear the refs miced up trying to confirm the call in real time so I wouldn’t say cheating. It wasn’t like a definite try went to the bunker and got overturned or anything like that. I do wish that they replayed tackle 5 though.

You could also say that Cronk wouldn’t have been put in the bin if the knock on that turned into a penalty before it wasn’t overturned in the first place.

T-Boon

Coach
The trainer being on the field when his team has the ball really highlights the point that players can take a play or even an entire set of possession off. It draws too much attention to that fact.
I don't think that was the case before things became so structured. Players could not sign off for the whole set.
It is another sign that 13 per team is now too many.

Lambretta

First Grade
I know it's usually supposed to be a painful thing but I enjoyed watching it again because it was a really good game. But could just be because masochism is pretty much a requirement of being a Raiders fan.

You're right, it was a good game
Best of luck for next year mate. I won't be unhappy if you win it

Mr Spock!

Referee
My view on the general comments made.

The trainer hit led to the try and because of that roosters scored - it was a whole set before it happened! It didn’t guarantee the try. Think of it as like a penalty try and how many times teams have to defend their line from bad calls. The hot provided an opportunity but it didn’t guarantee a try. You could also say the trainer wouldn’t have been hit if it wasn’t for an illegal legs tackle in the first place.

Decided the game? People say the 6 again decided the game - I’d say denied an opportunity. You can hear the refs miced up trying to confirm the call in real time so I wouldn’t say cheating. It wasn’t like a definite try went to the bunker and got overturned or anything like that. I do wish that they replayed tackle 5 though.

You could also say that Cronk wouldn’t have been put in the bin if the knock on that turned into a penalty before it wasn’t overturned in the first place.
After the 6 again the Raiders team were still confused from wtf happened which led to easts break down the blindside.

Obviously they need to play the whistle - unless the ref changes their mind.

TheRam

Coach
I have been bunging on about this for years and I'm glad it happened in a GF, so maybe something might be done about it.

My view has always been that no one should ever be on the field other than the players and the refereeing officials except when injury takes place. Then and only when play has stopped for an injured player, only medical staff can come on. If the injury is severe enough where more assistance is needed then sure bring on whoever or whatever is necessary to help the injured player.

Also if the ref can hear the medico/s say anything to the players other then medical attention stuff, he immediately dismisses the medico/s and penalises the offending team.

But other then the above scenario no one should be allowed onto the field other then refs and players period. If they need refreshments, they know where the bottles are.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Its really pathetic when they came out 2 minutes into the game where there's no injuries or fatigue.

The refs should do what used to happen in the 90s, send them off
That trainer was on from the kick off in case someone got thirsty or injured running out.

Quicksilver

Bench
Just make it 10 points to the opposition if your trainer gets hit with the ball or interferes with the play. Teams are allowed to kick for the trainer or deliberately throw the ball at them, even if it's a forward pass.

A few 10 point branded trainers will get them off the field for ever.