What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons girls are into the grand final

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The problem is the amount of resources being used to manufacture a new market while allowing markets you already have to become weaker.

There is more to lose if CRL and juniors go backwards than anything that can be gained by adding an "elite" womens competition. My position is the CRL and juniors should have been better supported first, get them growing and strong and build off the back of that.

I think the clever thing was to introduce League Tag and they need to put resources into this and promote it. This allows not only women, but older age groups and players less interested in the physical side of league competition to participate. League Tag potentially has much bigger numbers of players.
It's not a new market, it's an existing market wanting to grow.

The CRL also have their own market and competitions, and have been around for a long time.

I don't see it as a competition between the two. The CRL have womens comps and connections to womens comps. But if the CRL were to lose some of their market share to NRLW (which I doubt), then surely that's a problem within the CRL.

With respect, I don't agree and it's looks more like you are searching for negatives.

Womens League Tag etc already exist.

BLM01

First Grade
The problem is the amount of resources being used to manufacture a new market while allowing markets you already have to become weaker.

There is more to lose if CRL and juniors go backwards than anything that can be gained by adding an "elite" womens competition. My position is the CRL and juniors should have been better supported first, get them growing and strong and build off the back of that.

I think the clever thing was to introduce League Tag and they need to put resources into this and promote it. This allows not only women, but older age groups and players less interested in the physical side of league competition to participate. League Tag potentially has much bigger numbers of players.

You will get no argument from me but the womens game is growing fast in lieu of league tag and gaining traction and are becoming the backbone of some clubs due to their internal support and voluntary help.
It will slowly bring in more support from corporates as showing their diversity in sponsorship which is a buzz word of todays sport.
Should be embraced with the Juniors & CRL and all supported the same but the NRL are too starry eyed with their own administration and 1st grade NRL & NRLW where I get the money is, but also wasted in too many other areas but unfortunately until things change grass roots, CRL, and other non recognised comps outside of 1st grade even NSW state cup who run on the smell of an oily rag will only dwindle further.

BLM01

First Grade
Was thinking the same Getsmarty. When it comes to basics, particularly in the big games, we lose it across the club. The girls played against a team that was well drilled. Our girls stood back and waited all game for the Broncos to run to them in defence rather than do what the Broncos girls did and that was to run in quickly to stop our progress - just basic things that the coach should have drilled into them.
Territorially, we were hopelessly outgunned and certainly out coached again - just not good enough I'm afraid!
Yes was there and the girls played poorly from the get go.
I said last week if they dont start to dominate the middle they will get rolled and they defended better but terrible impact in attack and mistake riddled.
And their 1 out running was diaboloical except for 1 or 2.
Kezzie Apps as good and as and as big as a player as she is did not do enough and as instructed stays out wide and needs to help oot her other forwards more.
Their game plan seriously mirrors the 1st grade with flat atatck around the middle so that led me to think do the girls have another Mary style coach or did Mary take over for the past 2 weeks as their game plan was poor.
Unlike our NRL side the girl backs are the shining light with pace, power and game but hardly gets put to the test or utilised

Carlton

Juniors
It's not a new market, it's an existing market wanting to grow.

The CRL also have their own market and competitions, and have been around for a long time.

I don't see it as a competition between the two, in fact I'm pretty sure the CRL have womens comps or connections to womens comps. But if the CRL were to lose some of their market share to NRW (which I doubt), then surely that's a problem within the CRL.

With respect, I don't agree and it's looks more like you are searching for negatives.

League Tag etc already exist and women play that as well.

Sorry Willow I dont agree, the elite womens competition is a new market and the fact resources are being used here instead of to strengthen the existing competitions (CRL/juniors) which are becoming weaker is my point.

I agree there is already League Tag and again my point was that offers more in terms of potential numbers and inclusion of different and varied demographics than an elite womens competition and is a good initiative.

I believe that the NRL focuses too much on the "elite" competitions and doesn't do enough for grass roots (this is where AFL are killing them). This is why I think the Koori knockout is great and there should be a similar tournament for park footballers. I'm not sure what exactly but something like each group selects a rep team for each of the grades who then play in a graded knockout.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Sorry Willow I dont agree, the elite womens competition is a new market and the fact resources are being used here instead of to strengthen the existing competitions (CRL/juniors) which are becoming weaker is my point.

I agree there is already League Tag and again my point was that offers more in terms of potential numbers and inclusion of different and varied demographics than an elite womens competition and is a good initiative.

I believe that the NRL focuses too much on the "elite" competitions and doesn't do enough for grass roots (this is where AFL are killing them). This is why I think the Koori knockout is great and there should be a similar tournament for park footballers. I'm not sure what exactly but something like each group selects a rep team for each of the grades who then play in a graded knockout.
The NRL is a result of those mens juniors, CRL, Koori and Tag comps etc. The NRLW draws from a similar path of grass root women competitions.

If there are standout players, in let's say, the Womens Koori Knock Out, then what level do they step up to? The game needs a growing high profile NRLW competition that can attract major sponsors, otherwise it'll be hard for these women to make any real coin.

The AFL just went out a poached as many players as they could from other sports i order to manufacture their AFLW. Rising stars from lower profile sports were getting offered $10,000 each to join the AFLW. That's a lot if money to a young player who has to pay for all their own gear, but a spit in the bucket for the AFL.

So back to my earlier point... if the NRLW is given the flick, where do these potentially elite players go? It wouldn't surprise me if the AFL were looking closely at the RL grass roots womens comps.

Carlton

Juniors
The NRL is a result of those mens juniors, CRL, Koori and Tag comps etc. The NRLW draws from a similar path of grass root women competitions.

If there are standout players, in let's say, the Womens Koori Knock Out, then what level do they step up to? The game needs a growing high profile NRLW competition that can attract major sponsors, otherwise it'll be hard for these women to make any real coin.

The AFL just went out a poached as many players as they could from other sports i order to manufacture their AFLW. Rising stars from lower profile sports were getting offered $10,000 each to join the AFLW. That's a lot if money to a young player who has to pay for all their own gear, but a spit in the bucket for the AFL.

So back to my earlier point... if the NRLW is given the flick, where do these potentially elite players go? It wouldn't surprise me if the AFL were looking closely at the RL grass roots womens comps.

The NRL has forgotten where it comes from and thats the problem. They think that if you concentrate on the elite the grass roots will follow and look after itself. You raise the point that the girls wont get good money if they dont have this comp? Well every park footballer has exactly that same issue to deal with.

AFL did not concentrate on an elite womens competition first, they concentrated on establishing a strong grass roots via kids and schools and promoting the game at park level to increase participation across the board.

I think that the game is being treated more and more like just another form of entertainment to the detriment of the game as a sport. Its becoming about people watching and not playing.

Yes was there and the girls played poorly from the get go.
I said last week if they dont start to dominate the middle they will get rolled and they defended better but terrible impact in attack and mistake riddled.
And their 1 out running was diaboloical except for 1 or 2.
Kezzie Apps as good and as and as big as a player as she is did not do enough and as instructed stays out wide and needs to help oot her other forwards more.
Their game plan seriously mirrors the 1st grade with flat atatck around the middle so that led me to think do the girls have another Mary style coach or did Mary take over for the past 2 weeks as their game plan was poor.
Unlike our NRL side the girl backs are the shining light with pace, power and game but hardly gets put to the test or utilised
Even the game against the Broncos where the ladies lost 14-4, the forwards held their own and managed to get reasonable field position and a share of possession.
Yesterday they were directionless, overpowered by the Brisbane monsters and went down without a whimper.
Looked a totally different side.
Wouldn't be surprised if McGregor provide some of his unique inspiration.

hazzbeen

Bench
Even the game against the Broncos where the ladies lost 14-4, the forwards held their own and managed to get reasonable field position and a share of possession.
Yesterday they were directionless, overpowered by the Brisbane monsters and went down without a whimper.
Thinking the same .....

getsmarty

Immortal
appsk-061019-pb688.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

Apps apologies to fans and calls for longer season
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sun 6 Oct 2019, 07:39 PM
walterbrad-head.png

St George Illawarra captain Kezie Apps has called for the NRWL season to be extended to enable teams to spend more time developing after the Dragons were outgunned 30-6 by Brisbane in the grand final at ANZ Stadium on Sunday.

After suffering their only defeat in two seasons against the Warriors last week, the Broncos hit back with a clinical dismantling of a Dragons side which battled bravely with little possession or field position before injuries took their toll.

Teenage forward Maddison Weatherall was taken to Concord Hospital after suffering a sickening gash to her leg before half-time, while lock Holli Wheeler and interchange forward Takilele Kato succumbed to shoulder injuries.

With just one player remaining on the bench, halfback Maddie Studdon (elbow) and hooker Brittany Breayley (ankle) played on after receiving treatment as coach Daniel Lacey reshuffled his side.

Lacey and Apps admitted the occasion may have got to their young side, and the Dragons and NSW skipper said she was disappointed they hadn’t been able to put on a better performance for the 36,785 fans in attendance and others watching on television.

Match Highlights: Broncos v Dragons

“I know the two teams that were in the grand final last year played really early and there wasn’t really anyone there to watch them so it was a massive step forward for the game to have so many people coming in to watch us play,” Apps said.

“It might have even been the first time a lot of them were watching women’s rugby league so I apologise that our game wasn’t the best that we can probably play.

Dragons grand final player ratings

“I would love to have a longer competition so we can showcase what this team is really capable of and just build those combinations. The more time we get to spend together the better footy we do get to play so hopefully next year that is on the cards.”

The Holden NRL Women’s Premiership comprises of just three rounds before the grand final - after losing 14-4 in their first match against Brisbane, the Dragons turned in impressive performances against the Warriors and Roosters but were no match for the Broncos in the decider.

With 43 per cent possession they had to make almost 100 more tackles than Brisbane and the defensive workload took its toll.

Apps gets the Dragons on the board

“The stats really don’t lie and I don’t need to bring them up, it was obvious that we got outplayed and all credit to the Broncos,” Lacey said.

“It was close to 15 minutes and I was getting a call saying we had 10 per cent possession and were sitting at a 50 per cent completion rate.”

While the Dragons trailed just 10-0 at half-time, Lacey knew the game was as good as over after their horror start.

However, he was confident the club was heading in the right direction after winning the Under 18s Tarsha Gale Cup grand final and qualifying for the NRLW decider after finishing last in 2018.

“It is big game experience and we have got a young team there with an average of 23,” Lacey said. “We can’t find any positives now but in 24 hours I’ll be over it and I’ll be looking towards next year

“I am really proud of this club and what it represents, especially in the women’s space. We are the only club that has five [female] teams that we support in this and some clubs don’t want to put their hands up but we are.

“We look forward to the review, we did a review last year after we came last and we are in the grand final so that is what we will be doing next year. We will be going one better.”

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/06/apps-apologies-to-fans-and-calls-for-longer-season/

getsmarty

Immortal

Eight Women's Premiership players have also been picked to represent Australia at the World Cup Nines. They are Kezie Apps, Shaylee Bent, Brittany Breayley, Keeley Davis, Tiana Penitani, Jess Sergis, Shakiah Tungai and Botille Vette-Welsh.

Dragons vice-captain Holli Wheeler has also been picked to represent the Jillaroos, to face New Zealand at WIN Stadium on Friday, October 25. She will be joined by Apps, Breayley, Davis, Sergis, Tungai and Vette-Welsh.

Jillaroos Test squad:
Kezie Apps, Millie Boyle, Annette Brander, Ali Brigginshaw, Brittany Breayley, Keeley Davis, Kirra Dibb, Talisha Harden, Isabelle Kelly, Chelsea Lenarduzzi, Corban McGregor, Jess Sergis, Hannah Southwell, Simaima Taufa, Shakiah Tungai, Botille Vette-Welsh, Holli Wheeler

Jillaroos Nines squad: Kezie Apps, Shaylee Bent, Ali Brigginshaw, Millie Boyle, Brittany Breayley, Keeley Davis, Kirra Dibb, Talisha Harden, Isabelle Kelly, Corban McGregor, Tiana Penitani, Julia Robinson, Jess Sergis, Hannah Southwell, Shakiah Tungai, Tamika Upton, Botille Vette-Welsh

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/07/dragons-12-named-in-kangaroos-squads/

BLM01

First Grade
Yeh not sure whether the coach is the man either. He said he got a call after 15 mins that we had 10% possession and 50% completion.
Did he really need someone to tell him that. I think stats in football are overrated, over relied upon and over analysed. Too many coaches including McBrainless love the stats and if only they could watch the players and the game with their own eyes and that tells you enough

getsmarty

Immortal
Only the start: Kezie Apps hopeful for NRL women's future after St George Illawarra's 2019 grand final defeat
  • Local Sport
    r0_969_4897_3309_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Picture: Chris Lane
    Kezie Apps has called for a longer NRL women's season following St George Illawarra's 30-6 defeat to Brisbane in the NRLW grand final on Sunday.

More than 36,000 spectators were inside ANZ Stadium for the women's decider as the reigning and inaugural champions Brisbane made it back to back premierships.

The Dragons battled a crippling injury toll as well as the slick Broncos with St George Illawarra outclassed on the big day, leaving them still chasing their maiden women's title.

Dragons captain Apps, who scored St George Illawarra's only try, was positive about what the large crowd meant for women's rugby league and hoped it would be used to build more interest in the competition and a longer season, with teams only playing three regular season games before the grand final.

"That was a big step from last year. I know the two teams that were in the grand final last year played really early and there wasn't really anyone there to watch them," she said.

"To have it today at four o'clock it was a massive step forward for the game to have so many people coming in to watch us play. It might even have been their first time watching women's rugby league. apologise that our game wasn't the best that we could probably play but they still got a taste of what the women's rugby league could be. Hopefully they buy into it and want to watch more of it.

"We'd love to have a longer competition so we can actually showcase what this team is really capable of. Today I thought was going to be the day of that but it didn't go our way today. The more time we spend together the better footy we get to play. Hopefully next year that is on the cards."

r723_383_2862_1698_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Consolation: Kezie Apps celebrates after scoring the Dragons' only try. Picture: Chris Lane

Dragons coach Daniel Lacey was disappointed his young team failed to rise to the occasion.

"The stats really don't lie. And I don't need to bring them up. It was obvious. We got outplayed," he said.

"It's just the big game experience and I've got a young team there, average age of 23. So we can't find any positives now but [after] 24 hours don't worry about that I'll be over it and looking towards next year.

"I'm really proud of this club and what it represents, especially in the women's space... some clubs don't want to put their hands up. But we are, so we look forward to the review [of the season]. We did a review last year, we came last last year now we're in a grand final. So that's what we'll be doing next year, going one better."

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/...ure-after-dragons-grand-final-defeat/?cs=1633

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons vow to bounce back after grand final disappointment
Dragons Den
r0_185_4906_2954_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Fighting back: Kezie Apps delcared her side will grow from Sunday's disappointment. Picture: NRL Imagery/Robb Cox.

The St George Illawarra Dragons have vowed to bounce back from Sunday's disappointment in 2020.

The Dragons were well below their best in their grand final defeat to the Broncos, with the side completing just 60 per cent of their sets.

St George Illawarra coach Daniel Lacey acknowledged his team was overwhelmed by the occasion, however he said the side will learn a lot from the experience.

"We've got a young team there, average age of 23," Lacey said. "We can't find any positives now, but in 24 hours, don't worry about that, I'll be over it, I'll be looking towards next year

"I'm really proud of this club and what it represents, especially in the women's space. We're the only that has five teams in this, some clubs don't want to put their hands up, but we are.

"We look forward to the review. We did a review last year, we came last last year and now we're in the grand final, that's what we'll be doing next year, going one better."

The 2019 season marked a significant improvement for the Dragons, with the side rising from last-place in 2018 to grand finalists this year.

With her side growing considerably throughout the four-week competition, St George Illawarra captain Kezie Apps said the team will take plenty of positives into 2020.

"Sometimes footy doesn't go your way," Apps said.

"We've got to learn from that, tomorrow we'll be over it and looking forward to next season and seeing what we can build with this club moving forward next year.

"Hopefully as Lace said, we can go one better."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ack-after-grand-final-disappointment/?cs=3713

mbk78

Juniors
Last year when all the cries were coming out to get rid of McGregor, the club actually listened. Unfortunately they got rid of the wrong girl, they got rid of Raecene instead of Mary
I thought Raecene was one of the best - if not the best - on ground. I thought the following headline very appropriate: "McGregor Destroys Dragons!"

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
The NRL has forgotten where it comes from and thats the problem. They think that if you concentrate on the elite the grass roots will follow and look after itself. You raise the point that the girls wont get good money if they dont have this comp? Well every park footballer has exactly that same issue to deal with.

AFL did not concentrate on an elite womens competition first, they concentrated on establishing a strong grass roots via kids and schools and promoting the game at park level to increase participation across the board.

I think that the game is being treated more and more like just another form of entertainment to the detriment of the game as a sport. Its becoming about people watching and not playing.
Question for you Carlton...

What first got you into league when you were a kid?

Was it watching 1st grade on TV or watching your local CRL (or equivalent) side?

Carlton

Juniors
Question for you Carlton...

What first got you into league when you were a kid?

Was it watching 1st grade on TV or watching your local CRL (or equivalent) side?

Playing with mates, I hated watching league when I was young. It was a game and a lot of fun.

I liked participating but it wasn't entertainment.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Playing with mates, I hated watching league when I was young. It was a game and a lot of fun.

I liked participating but it wasn't entertainment.
So you had no heroes or players you pretended that you were when you were out on the field?

Carlton

Juniors
So you had no heroes or players you pretended that you were when you were out on the field?

Muzby if you are trying to imply I said that there should be no first grade or elite competitions, you are wrong. My point was that the NRL think that if they concentrate on First Grade everything else will follow.

The reality is you need to concentrate on the grass roots and if thats stong then First Grade will look after itself to a large extent. Take a look at sports like Oztag, no equivalent to first grade and yet its growing and spreading, it is all from grass roots.

Would Oztag benefit from an elite/first grade competition? Yes of course.

But, not if it loses sight of the fact its participation across a hugely varied demographic that is its strength.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Muzby if you are trying to imply I said that there should be no first grade or elite competitions, you are wrong. My point was that the NRL think that if they concentrate on First Grade everything else will follow.

The reality is you need to concentrate on the grass roots and if thats stong then First Grade will look after itself to a large extent. Take a look at sports like Oztag, no equivalent to first grade and yet its growing and spreading, it is all from grass roots.

Would Oztag benefit from an elite/first grade competition? Yes of course.

But, not if it loses sight of the fact its participation across a hugely varied demographic that is its strength.
I love it when people try and guess the point of a line of questioning..

Even more so when they get it wrong..

The point I’m making is that to encourage kids to get involved, it’s not just about having them play..

They need heroes they can look up to.. That they can idolise being one day..

Girls need that just as much as boys do..