What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Shane Flanagan believes joining St. George Illawarra would be a 'great move' as talks continue

Written By Ed Chisholm
@ChisholmEd
FacebookTwitterEmailCopy Link
Getty Images
League
St. George-Illawarra Dragons
League
Premiership-winning coach Shane Flanagan has opened up on his coaching future amid strong reports suggesting he will link up with the St. George Illawarra Dragons.

After being cleared by the NRL to return to the coaching frame in an assistant capacity, following his deregistration at the end of last season, Flanagan has reportedly been in close discussions with the Dragons to deputise Paul McGregor.

After their worst finish to a regular season in the joint venture's history, a review into the Dragons' football department, led by mastermind Phil Gould, was thought to see McGregor flicked in the off-season.

The under-pressure coach was spared the axe however, with the review instead identifying better support around McGregor as a necessity, with Flanagan the most suitable candidate.

Having debuted as a player with the Dragons in 1987, Flanagan has acknowledged his close links to the club in the past.

And the former Sharks mentor believes a move to the club would make a lot of sense for him personally.

“There has been discussions and to be really honest I think it would be a great move for me at the moment," Flanagan told Macquarie Sports Radio.

"I made my debut back with Dragons in 1985 when the club was really successful - I think we had three grades in the grand final in '85 and '87.

"Making my debut with the Dragons obviously I've got a bit of history there and I’ve seen what’s happened over the last couple years and I do believe I can help.

"I’m not sure where it’s going to end up and if it’s going to happen but we’ll find out over the next week or two."

The Dragons entered the 2019 season as one of the sides many believed would be contending for the premiership.

The year did not unfold as planned however, with star forward Jack de Belin's court case for alleged sexual assault lingering in the background, and a number of injuries to key players throughout the year.

It all culminated in a 15th place finish to the season, the club's worst as a joint venture, with the typically passionate Dragons' supporter base protesting against the club and calling for McGregor to be stood down.

With a move to the Dragons looming, Flanagan gave an insight into the emotions internally at the Dragons since talking to the club about joining as an assistant coach.

“The Dragons are a really proud club. I had an off the record with Dean Young (assistant coach) and everyone in that club is hurting," Flanagan said.

"I know Brian Johnston and Paul McGregor are working really hard. It's not easy at this stage of the year.

"The players are hurting and the staff are hurting because they’re such a successful club.

"Everyone is punching behind the scenes at the moment and they’ll be working really hard after the Christmas break."

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...e-as-talks-continue/6v0smuu4xx0x11ai69xf8il7m

If only I had a dollar for each time the term “hurting” is used after a poor season, I’d be a very rich man.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
If only I had a dollar for each time the term “hurting” is used after a poor season, I’d be a very rich man.

Try that, SJG,

We're drowning in all these cliche words and lines ............
'On this journey' ........
'l'm out of my comfort zone' ......
'Absolutely' ......
'Taking it one game at a time'........
'Doing it for the team'.......

I just wish, McGregor would absolutely, do it for the team and get out of his comfort zone and go on a journey ............... far away from our club.

jak

Bench
Try that, SJG,

We're drowning in all these cliche words and lines ............
'On this journey' ........
'l'm out of my comfort zone' ......
'Absolutely' ......
'Taking it one game at a time'........
'Doing it for the team'.......

I just wish, McGregor would absolutely, do it for the team and get out of his comfort zone and go on a journey ............... far away from our club.
if mary did that how the hell would you fill in the day

getsmarty

Immortal
plp_2408.jpg

DRAGONS

McInnes, Sergis named Dragons' Player of the Year
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 8 Oct 2019, 09:04 PM

St George Illawarra hooker Cameron McInnes was the big winner at the Dragons' annual presentation evening after receiving three awards, including the prestigious Dragons Player of the Year Medal.

McInnes was also a resounding winner of the Red V Members' Player of the Year award and the Geoff Selby Memorial Trophy for his respected, industrious efforts over the past season – characteristics Selby showcased prior to his tragic death in 1989.

Jessica Sergis was named the Dragons' second-ever NRL Holden Women's Premiership Player of the Year following her barnstorming performances for the Red V in 2019.

Sergis – who was named 2019 Dally M Female Player of the Year last week – was duly rewarded for her consistent domination of the Women's Premiership competition.

Young front-rower Blake Lawrie was awarded the Dragons' Immortals Trophy, an award selected by the coaching staff in consideration with the Immortals criteria of demonstrating outstanding commitment and dedication in all aspects of rugby league.

In the face of adversity, Lawrie featured in 23 of the Dragons' 24 NRL games in season 2019 – more than doubling his career first grade games in the process.

Women's Premiership fullback Botille Vette-Welsh proved a revelation for Daniel Lacey's team in 2019. A nominee for the Dally M Female Player of the Year, Vette-Welsh was bestowed the NRLW Coach's Award

After being named a Ken Stephen Medal finalist, Dragons five-eighth Corey Norman won the Community Involvement Award for his commitment to the club's grassroots programs and his volunteer work with Pass It On Clothing and Co – a company which takes clothing donations directly to those in need.

Canterbury Cup playmaker Adam Clune was the recipient of the Mark Coyne Trophy for career development. Clune recently completed a double Bachelor of Commerce (Finance)/Bachelor of Law degree with distinction at the University of Wollongong.

Young Dragons fullback Cody Ramsey won the Paul McGregor Trophy as the Under-20s Player of the Year, while Jackson Ford and Lachlan Timm were awarded the Dragons' Canterbury Cup NSW Player of the Year and Canterbury Cup Coach's Award respectively.

Retiring front-rower Jeremy Latimore and departing skipper Gareth Widdop were recognised at the event held at Pyrmont's Doltone House. Both men received a framed collage that included photos throughout their respective careers.

St George legend and current Dragons board member Craig Young was also formally awarded a Hall of Fame ring following his induction in August.

Dragons Player of the Year Medal recipients:

2019: Cameron McInnes
2018: Tariq Sims
2017: Gareth Widdop
2016: Tyson Frizell
2015: Leeson Ah Mau
2014: Ben Creagh
2013: Trent Merrin
2012: Brett Morris
2011: Jason Nightingale
2010: Ben Creagh
2009: Ben Creagh
2008: Jason Ryles
2007: Ben Creagh
2006: Mark Gasnier and Jason Ryles
2005: Luke Bailey
2004: Mathew Head
2003: Ben Hornby
2002: Shaun Timmins
2001: Jason Ryles
2000: Trent Barrett
1999: Jamie Ainscough

Dragons NRLW Player of the Year

2019: Jessica Sergis
2018: Holli Wheeler

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/08/mcinnes-sergis-named-dragons-player-of-the-year/

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra Dragons turned down a chance to re-sign Brett Morris
Roosters
d0a0dc647b1eb3f335ea1e0c716e9520

Brett Morris playing for the Dragons in 2014Source: Getty Images
St George Illawarra had the chance to re-sign Brett Morris when he left the Bulldogs — but they turned him down.

Morris was keen to re-join the club where he began his career, after his time at Belmore came to an end.

He was waiting on an offer from the Red V — but none came — and the winger instead joined the Roosters and became a grand final winner on Sunday night.

Asked about his decision to not go back to the Dragons, Morris told the Illawarra Mercury: “That almost happened.

“The Dogs were going through a tough time there, they released a few people, it’s just what happened.

“The Dragons had every chance to try and sign me, but they didn’t.

“It wasn’t a money thing, certain things fell into place and it just didn’t happen.

“They had their chance to offer me a contract and they didn’t. The Roosters did and the end is history.”

Morris last won a premiership in 2010, with the Dragons but says he holds both achievements close to heart for different reasons.

“They’re both up there,” Morris said.

“2010 for me at the Dragons, I was a Dragons fan growing up, it had been such a long time between premierships. This one was different.

“With the Roosters, I was new to the club, I just wanted to go out there and prove myself, make sure these guys trust me and know I can do a job for them, and obviously the whole back-to-back thing was there as well, but I wasn’t a part of that last year.

“For me personally, it was just about trying to play the best footy I could.

“So much work goes into the year, I was back pretty early in the pre-season slugging it away with blokes who are about 10-12 years younger than me and it’s all worth it now.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/d66539181dfa9397bad5db78def17283

getsmarty

Immortal
McInnes named Dragons best in end-of-season awards haul
Dragons Den
r0_606_5568_3712_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Dragons warhorse Cam McInnes. Picture: NRL Photos

IT comes as a surprise to absolutely no one, but Dragons hooker Cam McInnes has swept his club's end-of-season awards, claiming three of the four major gongs on offer.

It was enough for him to collect the Dragons Player of the Year Medal, while he was also a resounding winner of the club's member's choice award.

He also picked up the prestigious Geoff Selby Memorial Trophy, awarded to the player deemed most valuable on and off the park, something McInnes certainly proved in a tumultuous season.

With departing captain Gareth Widdop sidelined for the bulk of the season, McInnes was a fill-in skipper and is set to assume the role on a permanent basis next season.

The form of McInnes was the virtual lone light in an otherwise nightmarish season for the Dragons, who dealt with the Jack de Belin saga and a hefty injury toll en route to the worst finish in the joint-venture's history.

Phil Gould has since completed a review at the request of coach Paul McGregor and presented his findings to chief executive Brian Johnston and the club board.

The club's expected to publicly address aspects of that review later this week, with former Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan set to join McGregor's coaching staff among a host of changes to the football department.

In other awards, Jess Sergis picked up the club's NRLW Player of the Year award - another no-brainer after she claimed Dally M Player of the Year honours in the lead-up to last Sunday's grand final.

r0_0_7137_5009_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Jess Sergis

She narrowly beat out fellow standout Botille Vette-Welsh who picked up Daniel Lacey's coach's award, while young prop Blake Lawrie was awarded the Immortals Trophy.

Ken Stephen Medal finalist Corey Norman also picked up the club's Community Involvement Award.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ns-best-in-end-of-season-awards-haul/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Frizell says rejection of de Belin's bid to play hurt Dragons
Christian Nicolussi
October 8, 2019 — 7.46pm
  • Send via Email
Tyson Frizell has revealed how St George Illawarra players genuinely believed Jack de Belin would be cleared to return from an NRL ban only to be disappointed on the eve of their mid-season clash against Newcastle.

While Frizell stopped short of confirming the Dragons were prepared to boycott the game, he made it clear that playing was the last thing they wanted to do.

958b27e9ad6bb7a4fa15c2fccb858d2971c4f47a

Tyson Frizell says the Dragons players all thought they would play alongside Jack de Belin this season.Credit:Anna Warr

The gun back-rower also spoke about not pulling out of the final year of his Dragons contract, how he feared the forgettable year could cruel his representative aspirations, and why long-suffering Red V supporters should be optimistic about 2020.

As revealed in Tuesday's Herald, Dragons players were stunned and in no mood to play against the Knights when the Federal Court upheld the NRL's ban on de Belin because of sexual assault charges.

"It was the game we thought Jack was coming back to play," said Frizell before he flew out for Fiji with the Prime Minister's XIII on Tuesday. "There was a lot of disappointment and a weird feeling with everyone thinking Jack would be back that day. Then to find out just before the game he wouldn't, it was tough for the squad.

"He's a close mate to everyone. It dragged on for so long and we were excited to finally hear the news. We thought it was going to be positive and it wasn't.

"Going into that game, you don't take it out on the game, but beforehand wasn't ideal.

"I still speak with Jack all the time. He's fine. He has to deal with it and move on with his life. It's a waiting game for him."

De Belin's court case and the injury to Gareth Widdop were the two big reasons the Dragons finished 15th.

And with de Belin's court case to be heard just before the start of the new season, along with the intense scrutiny on coach Paul McGregor, and Widdop now in England, Dragons fans are entitled to wonder if things will improve.

Frizell himself becomes free to negotiate with rival clubs in 22 days time and would be a huge loss.

I guarantee you that everyone will be doing everything they can to create a winning culture and a team that will be a lot more consistent.

Tyson Frizell
"It won't be a year like it was," Frizell said. "I guarantee you that everyone in the football department will be doing everything they can to create a winning culture and a team that will be a lot more consistent with our footy.

"It will be different. We can't have what we tossed up this year again. I just know it won't happen."

NRL 2019
Dragons begin repair work after season of strife and boycott threat
Frizell was open to Phil Gould coming on board to support the club.

"He's been around and knows his stuff, and any help we can get would be great," he said.

As for his own future, Frizell, who is 27 and yet to win a premiership, said he had no intention of leaving the club next season but was unsure what would happen beyond then.

"It's pretty frustrating feeling like I have to defend myself and tell everyone I'm not going or have spoken to anyone," Frizell said. "The more it comes up the more people think it's true. I've told everyone I haven't spoken to anyone, nor have plans to leave the Dragons early.

"The club know that, management know that. I don't know if it's come from another club wanting to approach me and it's gone that way, I don't know.

"At this point, I'm going nowhere. At the moment I'm at the Dragons and I want to stay at the Dragons.

"Things happen in rugby league and sometimes you need to move on. I still have a contract there and I'm hoping to stay there as long as I can. But you never know what will happen, and you can't guarantee that.

Frizell said he thought other clubs might have spoken to his manager.

"But there's been no negotiations or anything like that . . . it might be a bit of 'we're interested, let us know'. That's it. And I guess that can happen when you're coming up to the end of your contract.

"It will all sort itself out. I will try not to drag it out."

Chrisitan Nicolussi is a guest of the NRL in Fiji with the Prime Minister's XIII.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/fr...bid-to-play-hurt-dragons-20191008-p52yry.html

thebigredv

First Grade
God, if we had just a point for every article written about what one of our players said this season then we might have won a few games.

Unprofessional for them to let this get to them so badly, that they performed like rubbish with the most iconic jersey on their backs, and now we get the excusathon, this drivel. I'm not buying it.

merahputih

Juniors
God, if we had just a point for every article written about what one of our players said this season then we might have won a few games.

Unprofessional for them to let this get to them so badly, that they performed like rubbish with the most iconic jersey on their backs, and now we get the excusathon, this drivel. I'm not buying it.
Unprofessional and naive. Could you imagine Bellamy, Bennett or Robinson sitting around waiting for a court decision to decide if a player was going to turn up for a game and then having the asre fall out of their game when it went against them. Park football stuff.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The Storm had premierships ripped off them and the dogs deducted a $hiteload of points yet their players still turned up and put in an effort. Why? Because the coach at the time had a clue in coaching and prepared them well not sat their and used it as an excuse and put the cue in the rack. This is another 'Lets save McGregor" cover up for his pathetic coaching.

BBTB

Juniors
The Storm had premierships ripped off them and the dogs deducted a $hiteload of points yet their players still turned up and put in an effort. Why? Because the coach at the time had a clue in coaching and prepared them well not sat their and used it as an excuse and put the cue in the rack. This is another 'Lets save McGregor" cover up for his pathetic coaching.
Yeah, the shit these people have dished up to the fans, is bordering on a total disaster.Now They are running
Membership discounts. Let see how that goes.
Don't think the Fans are that stupid.

getsmarty

Immortal
endofseasonsale_800_800-002.jpg

DRAGONS

Dragons Team Store end-of-season sale
Author
Timestamp
Wed 9 Oct 2019, 01:41 PM

The Dragons Team Store are holding their end-of-season sale exclusively in-store and online, with all XBlades apparel half price and selected sale items up to 70 per cent off.

The end-of-season sale will begin at 10am on Wednesday, October 9, until 5pm Wednesday, October 23.

A great way to load up on all your favourite Red V gear, while grabbing a great bargain, make sure you get in quick while stocks last.

Head to the Dragons Team Store located at St George Leagues Club (124 Princess Highway Kogarah NSW 2217) or visit the Dragons online store: https://shop.dragons.com.au/collections/sale

Dragons Team Store trading hours –
Wednesday, October 9: 10am to 5pm

Thursday, October 10: 10am to 5pm Friday,

Friday, October 11: 10am to 5pm

Saturday, October 12: 10am to 4pm

Sunday, October 13: CLOSED

Monday, October 14: 10am to 5pm

Tuesday, October 15: 10am to 5pm

Wednesday, October 16: 10am to 5pm

Thursday, October 17: 10am to 4pm

Friday, October 18: 10am to 5pm

Saturday, October 19: 10am to 4pm

Sunday, October 20: CLOSED

Monday, October 21: 10am to 5pm

Tuesday, October 22: 10am to 5pm

Wednesday, October 23: 10am to 5pm

For full terms and conditions regarding the Dragons Team Store end-of-season sale, please click here.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/09/dragons-team-store-end-of-season-sale/

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
endofseasonsale_800_800-002.jpg

DRAGONS

Dragons Team Store end-of-season sale
Author
Timestamp
Wed 9 Oct 2019, 01:41 PM

The Dragons Team Store are holding their end-of-season sale exclusively in-store and online, with all XBlades apparel half price and selected sale items up to 70 per cent off.

The end-of-season sale will begin at 10am on Wednesday, October 9, until 5pm Wednesday, October 23.

A great way to load up on all your favourite Red V gear, while grabbing a great bargain, make sure you get in quick while stocks last.

Head to the Dragons Team Store located at St George Leagues Club (124 Princess Highway Kogarah NSW 2217) or visit the Dragons online store: https://shop.dragons.com.au/collections/sale

Dragons Team Store trading hours –
Wednesday, October 9: 10am to 5pm

Thursday, October 10: 10am to 5pm Friday,

Friday, October 11: 10am to 5pm

Saturday, October 12: 10am to 4pm

Sunday, October 13: CLOSED

Monday, October 14: 10am to 5pm

Tuesday, October 15: 10am to 5pm

Wednesday, October 16: 10am to 5pm

Thursday, October 17: 10am to 4pm

Friday, October 18: 10am to 5pm

Saturday, October 19: 10am to 4pm

Sunday, October 20: CLOSED

Monday, October 21: 10am to 5pm

Tuesday, October 22: 10am to 5pm

Wednesday, October 23: 10am to 5pm

For full terms and conditions regarding the Dragons Team Store end-of-season sale, please click here.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/09/dragons-team-store-end-of-season-sale/
Might get a few 2019 jerseys, I can throw them behind my seat in case I ever need to take a dump or need a grease rag.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
St George Illawarra Dragons turned down a chance to re-sign Brett Morris
Roosters
d0a0dc647b1eb3f335ea1e0c716e9520

Brett Morris playing for the Dragons in 2014Source: Getty Images
St George Illawarra had the chance to re-sign Brett Morris when he left the Bulldogs — but they turned him down.

Morris was keen to re-join the club where he began his career, after his time at Belmore came to an end.

He was waiting on an offer from the Red V — but none came — and the winger instead joined the Roosters and became a grand final winner on Sunday night.

Asked about his decision to not go back to the Dragons, Morris told the Illawarra Mercury: “That almost happened.

“The Dogs were going through a tough time there, they released a few people, it’s just what happened.

“The Dragons had every chance to try and sign me, but they didn’t.

“It wasn’t a money thing, certain things fell into place and it just didn’t happen.

“They had their chance to offer me a contract and they didn’t. The Roosters did and the end is history.”

Morris last won a premiership in 2010, with the Dragons but says he holds both achievements close to heart for different reasons.

“They’re both up there,” Morris said.

“2010 for me at the Dragons, I was a Dragons fan growing up, it had been such a long time between premierships. This one was different.

“With the Roosters, I was new to the club, I just wanted to go out there and prove myself, make sure these guys trust me and know I can do a job for them, and obviously the whole back-to-back thing was there as well, but I wasn’t a part of that last year.

“For me personally, it was just about trying to play the best footy I could.

“So much work goes into the year, I was back pretty early in the pre-season slugging it away with blokes who are about 10-12 years younger than me and it’s all worth it now.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/d66539181dfa9397bad5db78def17283

How could it “almost happen” if the Dragons didn’t offer Morris a contract?

Old Timer

Coach
Where are the photos of Jack and his partner?
If he was around the playing group all year then surely he must have attended the function.

Latest posts