What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Live Q&A

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Really enjoyed this, it was good to here from Madge and Justin as things have been a bit quiet lately. Main points I took out:

• Benji and Lawrence both will be resigned
  • Reynolds to be hooker next year which rules out rumours of Isaac Luke
  • Centre of Excellence looks awesome
  • Possible academy in the Macarthur region
  • New coaching staff and they are putting in place a high performance unit that will focus on the entire club down to U16's
  • Madge wants to focus on bringing local juniors through
  • Pascoe appears to have the right focus on securing the clubs finances long term
  • Possible NRLW team for 2021
I'm sure there was plenty more discussed that I haven't mentioned, these were the main points I took onboard. Only criticism was the cameraman trying to be Spielberg and kept moving the camera and zooming in, very distracting.

Tiger05

First Grade
I thought it was good too.

When it comes to Reynolds I think they have a couple of options at hooker and Reynolds was one of them. I don't think Reynolds is being looked at as a half for first grade. This to me makes a lot of sense. If we can get Reynolds playing a key role and performing our salary cap position improves. He is miles off Brooks and Benji though at this point.

They also mentioned not necessarily buying marquee players but getting the right player presumably on the right dollars. I completely agree with this.

I also liked they were looking at bringing juniors on.

We are also salary cap compliant in that we don't have to release any players. Other clubs probably have to release some players. They also seemed to think that there will be a lot of player movements over the off season.

They also stated Matterson will not be moved on unless it suits the club. I reckon we either get a good deal or he stays. If he doesn't perform play him in reserve grade.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Really enjoyed this, it was good to here from Madge and Justin as things have been a bit quiet lately. Main points I took out:

• New coaching staff and they are putting in place a high performance unit that will focus on the entire club down to U16's
  • Pascoe appears to have the right focus on securing the clubs finances long term
I'm sure there was plenty more discussed that I haven't mentioned, these were the main points I took onboard. Only criticism was the cameraman trying to be Spielberg and kept moving the camera and zooming in, very distracting.
I’d like Madge’s contract extended for a further 2 yrs b4 the start of next season.He knows what he’s doing & requires 4 more yrs to ensure we become a formidable club qualifying for finals footy regularly & hence becoming a genuine title contender.

I’d like Madge’s contract extended for a further 2 yrs b4 the start of next season.He knows what he’s doing & requires 4 more yrs to ensure we become a formidable club qualifying for finals footy regularly & hence becoming a genuine title contender.

Agree. Show the faith in him to oversee his cap spend and see it out. No more handing new coaches the problems of old.

WT2K

Juniors
Enjoyed it. Nice to get direct communication after all the stuff in the press recently.

Looking forward to seeing some of the younger players getting the chance.

I believe Madge is the right coach to get this club to where we all want it to be.

WA Tiger

Bench
Why not wait until the end of next year ..He’s not going anywhere ..and obviously the Q&A was to promote the club and the coach..eg he’s not going to say he would be aiming at 40% goal kicking accuracy..and “bringing the youngsters through” is a standard line for job interviews and this type of thing...he hasn’t done anything yet and talk is easy...Although so far so good...My records show on occasion you pay a coach too much too soon they lose some motivation...He will have the Full support of the club and he knows how things work

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
Let’s wait until he gets us in the 8 next year or when it’s obvious we will get there... ie after he’s done something results wise we can be really happy about That’s just a good strong philosophy for the club to follow. Madge will understand that more than anyone..And it may ensure he looks at what he could have done better instead of just glossing over it

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
He may literally explode in the coaches box next year anyway..I wonder if insurance covers that..

Last edited:

stryker

First Grade
Thats all great but not filling me with any confidence that this club is changing its mindset re; success.

Whilst we muck around with local juniors, the Roosters will plan their title defence next year by signing Ponga, Taumalolo and Burgess.

As a club we are as ruthless as a soggy Sao and the results onfield mirror this.

Tiger05

First Grade
Whilst we muck around with local juniors, the Roosters will plan their title defence next year by signing Ponga, Taumalolo and Burgess.

We can't do this. If we did we would screw ourselves as well. We'd have the under 12 yo girl's team filling out the rest of the roster. The rorters can be we can't.

I just don't know how we can move up to their level unless the cap starts being policed properly.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Thats all great but not filling me with any confidence that this club is changing its mindset re; success.

As a club we are as ruthless as a soggy Sao and the results onfield mirror this.

So whats your plan? Do you think that there are all these marquee players lining up to play for Tigers but Pascoe and Madge are like "nah, hahah derrrp"

Madge knows what he is doing. He has won premiership, something that only 5 other current NRL coaches have achieved in their career.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I cant answer your question. The mods keep deleting my opinions.

Because you are a deadset sook with nothing constructive to say. If you want people to take your opinions seriously you need to have a solution to the issue you're whinging about.

For example, I'm f**king over the way our club produces excellent juniors who then move to better clubs and contribute to their success. Madge and Pascoe have obviously also identified this as an issue. As you said yourself, we are unable to sign marquee players to our club, as more successful clubs snatch them up first. Now lets use examples of solutions to this problem:

Madge solution: Focus on junior development with a high performance unit overseeing under 16s upwards

Pascoe solution: Create a centre of excellence so the players don't get itchy feet that Wests Tigers is an amateur hour establishment

Stryker solution: Whinge that 1 year is enough to show that Madge doesn't know what he is doing

Your solutions are short sighted. Madge and Pascoe are looking at long term development

Tiger05

First Grade
@BrotherJim05 I think Stryker stated we should just cheat the cap as other teams do. I assume that was the deleted comment.

As for whingers I think that a bunch of supporters whinge the whole time. I often read comments stating how bad the club is and that is it. You can't work with that plus it just sounds unreasonable.

I'm over the club losing juniors but it's not just juniors (Ado-Carr & Taupau are two good examples). I also don't know what you do. We really targeted Turdesco for instance but he was always going to leave.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
@BrotherJim05 I think Stryker stated we should just cheat the cap as other teams do. I assume that was the deleted comment.

As for whingers I think that a bunch of supporters whinge the whole time. I often read comments stating how bad the club is and that is it. You can't work with that plus it just sounds unreasonable.

I'm over the club losing juniors but it's not just juniors (Ado-Carr & Taupau are two good examples). I also don't know what you do. We really targeted Turdesco for instance but he was always going to leave.

It's not a great sign that we seem to lose quality players year in year out. You talk about the Jason Taylor era which is not a proud era for WT fans. JT had no idea with recruitment/retention.

The clubs ability to hold players is a by-product of the head coach and his quality. Madge is the first coach we've had who should generate the respect of the players straight out of the gate. You could make a case that Sheens fits that same bill but the Sheenius was clearly short sighted in the talent identification department.

That talent id skill set is something Madge has not validated yet. He didnt sign anyone of note in his time at Souths though he did blood a lot of promising juniors. It is hugely worrying that Matterson has sought a release because he is clearly our best player.

Mario chalmers

Juniors

I think there was a big point made by Pascoe around player movement. he said that he thought the summer could see an 'unprecedented level" of player movement.

Its exciting to think that there could be a roster overhaul at WT. Imagine if Packer, Matulino, Reynolds and even Mbye could be moved? There is almost 1/3rd of our cap between those players which is disgraceful.

Tiger05

First Grade
The clubs ability to hold players is a by-product of the head coach and his quality.

Is it ???

Madge is the first coach we've had who should generate the respect of the players straight out of the gate....
It is hugely worrying that Matterson has sought a release because he is clearly our best player.

I reckon Brooks and Benji are better than Matterson but they are different positions. Matterson is a quality player though and we need to retain guys like him.

I'm not sure how to retain the quality players who play for us. We definitely retain some of them. I think salary cap management is the most important thing but maybe it's just cheating the cap.

Tiger05

First Grade
Its exciting to think that there could be a roster overhaul at WT. Imagine if Packer, Matulino, Reynolds and even Mbye could be moved? There is almost 1/3rd of our cap between those players which is disgraceful.

You gotta replace them though.

Tigerm

First Grade
I think we have signed some very good players with great reputation, its just that they haven't delivered on that reputation, hard to say what happened with them, either our coaches or they think/realise they erred in coming here, I just believe that once we are a consistent final 8 team, they will want to come. Which makes a huge difference.
So we need to pay overs to get quality players to make this happen (the Roosters do).

stryker

First Grade
Because you are a deadset sook with nothing constructive to say. If you want people to take your opinions seriously you need to have a solution to the issue you're whinging about.

For example, I'm f**king over the way our club produces excellent juniors who then move to better clubs and contribute to their success. Madge and Pascoe have obviously also identified this as an issue. As you said yourself, we are unable to sign marquee players to our club, as more successful clubs snatch them up first. Now lets use examples of solutions to this problem:

Madge solution: Focus on junior development with a high performance unit overseeing under 16s upwards

Pascoe solution: Create a centre of excellence so the players don't get itchy feet that Wests Tigers is an amateur hour establishment

Stryker solution: Whinge that 1 year is enough to show that Madge doesn't know what he is doing

Your solutions are short sighted. Madge and Pascoe are looking at long term development

Yep lets rely on a bunch of 18 year olds to mature and deliver the premiership....been there done that for the better part of a decade now with shocking inefficiency and disasterous results.
This isnt the 1980's you regressive minded fool.
This isnt the competition where you carry on from your local footy club and then spend your whole career with the senior team any more. Those days are long gone. You need to be ruthless and work to a strategy of building a team to compete for the title every year.
We are consistently out manouvered by better clubs because we follow the blueprint designed by romantic dinosaurs.
Melbourne does it right, the Roosters do it right. Ricky has bought and built a squad that competes consistently now. We only exist to raise juniors that will be taken by the premiere clubs once they mature. We are farmers and nothing more than an easy pathway to first grade. Until we cut the deadwood and actively seek to lure talent, we'll remain also-rans.

As for the junior debate, I couldnt give a shit if our halfback comes from Perth, our props from Wales and our wingers from Russia...as long as they win. I wouldnt lose a minutes sleep if we won the comp with not a single player in the top 30 having spent more than 4 years in our system. It doesnt matter. Everyone is for sale.

Latest posts