What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Douglas story

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Sharks one up already
By JOSH MASSOUD
May 06, 2006
THERE'S nothing the Sharks enjoy more than getting one up on big brother, St George Illawarra.
Regardless of who wins tomorrow's local derby, Cronulla have already scored a major coup over their bitter rivals via boom prop Luke Douglas.
Lining up for his eighth straight NRL appearance, the 109kg rookie probably would be wearing the Red V if not for an administrative bungle that still leaves Dragons coach Nathan Brown disappointed.
Douglas was raised in Yamba, on the North coast a short drive from where Brown grew up.
Rugby league brought the two families close, with Douglas making regular trips to Sydney as a teen to watch the blond-haired hooker from the hill at Kogarah.

So when the time arrived for Douglas to follow Brown's lead, his destination was obvious.
At the behest of Brown's father John, the then 16-year-old joined St George's SG Ball squad in 2003 and arrangements were made for him to complete his HSC in Sydney.
But when the competition finished mid-year, the Dragons went quiet.
"They didn't show that much interest in me and didn't contact me," Douglas, now 19, said.
"I suppose I was a little bit . . . not angry . . . but a bit peeved off that they didn't look after me."
Assuming he had been exiled, Douglas thought he was better off playing park footy with his mates in Yamba. Within weeks he was back living with his parents, 700km from Kogarah.
That's when mum Trish – a lifelong Cronulla fan – picked up a pen.
Sharks recruitment manager Theo Burgess recalled his delight upon reading Ms Douglas's hand-written offer for her son's services.

Daily Telegraph

Frenzy.

Immortal
St George are just a bungle-a-thon club. I'm getting sick of hearing this story to be honest.

Fugg St George. The only bungle here is not employing scouts smart enough to of seen Douglas' talents and abilities.

!fullback!

Juniors
so thats how you crack into first grade. just get your mum to write a letter to the recruitment manager.

sharkadelic

Juniors
Galloway was a similar story too ignored by Saints after growing right next door. Similar, except that Douglas can actually play

Thomo.

First Grade
the CSSC unleahes a YAMBA cheer from the crowd, GO YAMBA

and it came out after his try last week.

all the best LUKE!:cool:

Dougies playing days story has finished. Much like his playing style, unheralded.
I was a fan.

Douglas calls it a day

Ex-Cronulla and Gold Coast prop Luke Douglas has retired from the game.

Douglas turned out in 260 NRL games — including a record 215 in succession — before making the move to St Helens in 2016.

9d5ed8650c644c4ca6d592266368ee86

Luke Douglas while playing for ScotlandSource: Getty Images
He played 59 times in the famous Saints’ Red V but spent all of the 2019 season playing in the second division with Leigh

cb4

First Grade
I remember being absolutely shattered when news broke he was leaving.
I never thought we would be able to replace him.
Turns out we never missed him, but he was one of my favourite players.
All the best in retirement.

Tiger Shark

Bench
I remember being absolutely shattered when news broke he was leaving.
I never thought we would be able to replace him.
Turns out we never missed him, but he was one of my favourite players.
All the best in retirement.

Same, think we lost someone else at the same time too. Might have been Snowden ?

cb4

First Grade
Snowden and Douglas in the same year if I recall.
Correct.
The club just thought he would stay and put all the effort in Snowden.
I remember hearing Douglas hadn't told our officials when the news broke.
Honestly, I thought we would never bounce back when he left then eventually Kade left.

Latest posts