What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Awards Night

nontime111

Juniors
McInnes named Dragons best in end-of-season awards haul
Dragons Den
r0_606_5568_3712_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Dragons warhorse Cam McInnes. Picture: NRL Photos

IT comes as a surprise to absolutely no one, but Dragons hooker Cam McInnes has swept his club's end-of-season awards, claiming three of the four major gongs on offer.

It was enough for him to collect the Dragons Player of the Year Medal, while he was also a resounding winner of the club's member's choice award.

He also picked up the prestigious Geoff Selby Memorial Trophy, awarded to the player deemed most valuable on and off the park, something McInnes certainly proved in a tumultuous season.

With departing captain Gareth Widdop sidelined for the bulk of the season, McInnes was a fill-in skipper and is set to assume the role on a permanent basis next season.

The form of McInnes was the virtual lone light in an otherwise nightmarish season for the Dragons, who dealt with the Jack de Belin saga and a hefty injury toll en route to the worst finish in the joint-venture's history.

Phil Gould has since completed a review at the request of coach Paul McGregor and presented his findings to chief executive Brian Johnston and the club board.

The club's expected to publicly address aspects of that review later this week, with former Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan set to join McGregor's coaching staff among a host of changes to the football department.

In other awards, Jess Sergis picked up the club's NRLW Player of the Year award - another no-brainer after she claimed Dally M Player of the Year honours in the lead-up to last Sunday's grand final.

r0_0_7137_5009_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Jess Sergis

She narrowly beat out fellow standout Botille Vette-Welsh who picked up Daniel Lacey's coach's award, while young prop Blake Lawrie was awarded the Immortals Trophy.

Ken Stephen Medal finalist Corey Norman also picked up the club's Community Involvement Award.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ns-best-in-end-of-season-awards-haul/?cs=3713
wouldnt it be great if young Zac got his Tiger on and got ULTRA competitive with his girl god bless em both, and wanted to show her who was the best out of the pair by having a total BLINDER next season!

possm

Coach
absolutely ridiculous that Timm receives the coaches award from Matt Head yet cant get a look in by supercoach .. Just shows how single minded our great man manager is ... You would like to think that some one would now act and resign timm for 2020 and tell flanno to give him a go ,, Hes got to be a cheaper alternative to awashed up plodder and is good depth.. Now lets see when some announcements come through
SGI management set up the Recruitment/Pathways/Retention ……… division to separate those functions from the Head Coach. The reason given by the Board and CEO at the time was to protect the roster and the squad from short term decisions made by the Head Coach.

The Director of this new department was appointed without a competitive process and immediately received acclaim for signing Paul Vaughan from the Raiders reserve grade ranks. However, he recived little flack when replacing the likes of Dugan, Nightingale and Macdonald with Dufty, Pearson and Ravalawa. Signing centres Aitken and Lafai long term, even though their form the previous year was at best ordinary, was deemed by many to be a stroke of genius ………………….

It was clear to me this system was deemed for failure mainly because it is always the Head Coach that should be the person accountable for the performance of the team and so, should be the decision maker for the roster he has to work with.

I say bring in a new head coach who has the ability to do all the jobs a head coach must do. Flanagan as assistant and Millward as recruitment/retention officer, reporting to Brown as head coach would be a good first step in 2020. I believe having Brown report to a General Manager Football who reports directly to the Board would also be a step in the right direction.

Dragonsamy

Bench
CONGRATS LACHY TIMM!!!!

I hope this bald pr(*^^ gets you into first grade FIRST game next season!!

Imagine this pack, best possible scenario

JDB
Frizz
Tariq
Luch
Mcinnis
Vaughn

bench;
Timm
Korbin?Lawrie?
Kerr
Ford

The above would be great.
Except timm has gone to storm feeder club at this stage.
Luc has been told that he can look elsewhere .
so it will never happen unfortunately

getsmarty

Immortal
medal_ford_lawrie.jpg

DRAGONS

Young Dragons duo reflect on Dragons awards
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Thu 10 Oct 2019, 05:44 PM

Young Dragons duo Blake Lawrie and Jackson Ford enjoyed a memorable night at the 2019 Dragons Medal presentation, both taking home some silverware after impressing throughout the season.

Lawrie was presented with the Dragons' Immortals trophy, an award selected by the coaching staff in consideration with the Immortals criteria of demonstrating outstanding commitment and dedication in all aspects of rugby league.

After working his way through the Dragons' devolvement pathway and into the first grade squad, the hardworking prop made the most of all of his opportunities in 2019. Lawrie was one of the Dragons' most reliable forwards racking up 614 post-contact metres, 775 tackles, and 2,204 total running metres.

"I'm very honoured to receive such a great award for this very proud and great club," Lawrie said.

"I took something out of each and every game this year, so I’ll be looking to do that again next year and become more a dominant impact player throughout the next year."

Blake Lawrie joins elite company by winning the 2019 Immortals Trophy

It will be hard for local junior Jackson Ford to forget 2019 after realising his childhood dream of playing in the NRL with the Dragons.

The 21-year-old received the perfect finish to his breakout season, winning the 2019 Canterbury Cup Player of the Year.

Ford scored the eighth most tries in the Canterbury Cup this season (13), including an incredible four-try haul against eventual grand finalists, the Wentworthville Magpies.

In Round 21, Ford was rewarded his debut NRL jersey in a victory against the Gold Coast Titans, before picking up his first NRL try the following game against the Cronulla Sharks.

"It's been an unreal season for me, probably the best season in my career," Ford said. "The debut was a massive moment for me. It was just an unreal experience and hopefully there's a few more NRL games for me."

Jackson Ford named Canterbury Cup's best in 2019

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/10/young-dragons-duo-reflect-on-dragons-awards/

getsmarty

Immortal
mcinnes_sergis.jpg

DRAGONS

Players of the Year reflect on 2019
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Thu 10 Oct 2019, 05:30 PM

Dragons hooker Cameron McInnes and NRLW outside back Jessica Sergis took centre stage at the Dragons Medal night on Tuesday, taking home the highest honour in the men's and women's categories respectively.

McInnes was the front-runner for the prestigious Dragons medal, following a standout season from the 25-year-old hooker.

McInnes was one of the league's top tacklers (1,036 tackles) at an outstanding efficiency of 93.5 per cent (41 misses). McInnes also forced the most dropouts of his career (five) and averaged the most running metres of his career (62.8 metres), all while missing the last three matches due to injury.

"A lot of great players have won this award before me, so it’s definitely an honour I’ll always remember," McInnes said.

McInnes' Dragons Medal win – along with being named the Red V Members Player of the Year and Geoff Selby Memorial Award – means he has now won all performance- based awards at the Dragons within his first three seasons at the club.

"It's a testament to the support I've had at this club," McInnes said.

"Having Mary (Dragons coach Paul McGregor), the coaching staff we have here and all the players, I’ve enjoyed my three years immensely. I have two more years left on my contract and hopefully more to come after that."

Cameron McInnes proud to win 2019 Dragons Medal

After Sergis claimed the highest individual women's honour at the Dally Ms last week, it came to no-one's surprise the rising star also won the Dragons' Female Player of the Year.

Sergis becomes the second-ever player to receive the award in a week where she was also named to make her long-awaited Jillaroos debut. Sergis produced three tries, 21 tackle breaks and 527 total running metres in four games this year.

"It's been such an awesome season," Sergis said. "I'm obviously ticking all my goals and all those boxes, so to receive this trophy tonight, it really means a lot."

Jessica Sergis wins Dragons female player of the year

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/10/players-of-the-year-reflect-on-2019/

Old Timer

Coach
Does anyone know if JDB was at the awards night?
If he wasn’t why not as after all he was around the team all year and the club was worried abut his welfare and if he was then surely the wags argument is a non event.
In fact was he sitting with the squad at the games during the season?

Dragsters

First Grade
The above would be great.
Except timm has gone to storm feeder club at this stage.
Luc has been told that he can look elsewhere .
so it will never happen unfortunately

This whole Luc has been told he can look elsewhere is the dumbest move I have seen this club make in ages and that's saying something.

Unbelievable if true...

Dragonsamy

Bench
This whole Luc has been told he can look elsewhere is the dumbest move I have seen this club make in ages and that's saying something.

Unbelievable if true...

I think he want to test the water as well.
See what he can get .
Hopefully it's nothing but I'm not sure.
I hope he stays.
He has improved so much this last 18 months.
If he leaves he will kill it elsewhere.

Dragsters

First Grade
I think he want to test the water as well.
See what he can get .
Hopefully it's nothing but I'm not sure.
I hope he stays.
He has improved so much this last 18 months.
If he leaves he will kill it elsewhere.

I hope that's all it is mate.

Whatever he attracts we should match, as the club has done all the hard work with him and if they let him go now, when he is ready to break out then that's just crazy.

We need him now more than ever...

Latest posts