What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

84 Baby

Referee
Not every player that is better than what you've got improves the squad. They need to be better in the right areas.

On our right edge we have loads of attacking talent. Adding a big money edge forward means adding someone who would need more carries to provide value, when we might only need someone who can run support and decoy lines.

We have very good attack. What let us down this year was our defence. Campbell-Gillard will improve that, while any edge forward who defends as well as Ma'u won't make our defence any worse. It's possible that another expensive forward will hurt our retention or even recruitment in other areas.
It doesn’t need to be a big money player, just like it doesn’t need to be Lawrence.
Also good attacking players don’t even need to carry the ball to provide value, they can provide value by just creating doubt in defenders. And a succession of good attackers is going to lead to a lot of doubt. It only takes one player to ground the ball over the line, but it takes a team to get it there

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I said edge forward - seeing as this whole topic is debating the need for a elite edge forward. Finucane and Murray are predominately middle forwards.
Edge forward is probably NSW's deepest position so him not making the team doesn't mean he's not good enough for Origin. He would make the Queensland side easily if he was available.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well I don’t know about you, but I rate Aubusson. He’s quality. I’m just not sure an ageing centre turned back rower will add anything to our squad. I
Mean weren’t we happy the club decided to move Ma’u on a year early rather than a year late? We can do better than Lawrence.
We didn't move Ma'u on, we made an offer but refused to match the higher offer he received.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Eels fans have no hesitation in overrating eels players.
Not me. I don't rate Moses or Gutherson as Origin-class, for example. Or Junior Paulo. Not that Gutherson would be out of place in Origin - he wouldn't let anyone down but he's not the match winner they would want at his best position. Paulo and Moses are both great attacking players but have weaknesses that make them unsuitable for Origin. Lane would be ideal for an Origin spot right now.

hindy111

Post Whore
A better offload game than Shaun Lane in the 2nd row? These edge players do:

CHN, TPJ, Sironen, Mau, Bateman, Takaraingi, Cartwright, JFH

Kikau doesn't even feature.

JFH has no offload.
Taka amd Cartwright armed first grade starters

hindy111

Post Whore
Ray Stone could be the suprise packet. Had a very disrupted season.
Attitude wise he is exactly what we need.

Noise

Coach
JFH has no offload.
Taka amd Cartwright armed first grade starters
Do you even watch rugby league? I would have though you at least watched your beloved Panthers.
JFH played 24 games this year and had 25 offloads. Lane played 25 games and had 22 offloads.
And for the record Bryce Cartwright has played more first grade games than Lane.

hindy111

Post Whore
Plentty of very good/average player make origin.
B.Hodgson,Vella,Mannah, Moodie where hardly stars. Nor was Shcifkoske,Wagon or Stuart Kelly. W eve had far bette rplayers then that not play origin.

hindy111

Post Whore
Do you even watch rugby league? I would have though you at least watched your beloved Panthers.
JFH played 24 games this year and had 25 offloads. Lane played 25 games and had 22 offloads.
And for the record Bryce Cartwright has played more first grade games than Lane.

Lanes offloads are not just throwing the ball out the back to wherever it lands.
JFH does do that. Lanes tend to be with more purpose. I'd say Taka has a lot of offloads also but there not in the class of Lanes.
Cartwright is exceptional but the rest of his games ordinary.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
A better offload game than Shaun Lane in the 2nd row? These edge players do:

CHN, TPJ, Sironen, Mau, Bateman, Takaraingi, Cartwright, JFH

Kikau doesn't even feature.
LBAs is a better indicator of the quality of a passing game than offloads. Even an ineffective offload is credited in that stat. Only Cartwright and Ma'u had more LBAs per game than Lane.

Latest posts