What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tina Turner

Do you want Tina Turner back?

• Yes...

Votes: 70 68.0%
  • No...

Votes: 33 32.0%

• Total voters

unforgiven

Bench
I think the vacant mic sets up for the Tina unveil! But the idea of Tina and Jess doing it to move it into the future for the ad campaign might be a good idea.

TheFrog

Coach
I reckon it will be sung by Jessica Mauboy with a cameo by Tina in there, kinda like a passing of the guard. Big fan of this if it is indeed the case.
For all she might have going for her, Mauboy aint no Tina Turner.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I would love it but they need to recreate the imagery of the old 90's ads that went along with the song. Players training, match footage of classic tries etc. It got the women as interested in the game as much as the men that already loved it.

I might be making this up but if I remember correctly Jimmy Barnes did a version of simply the best with Tina Turner somewhere along the way, that was great!

You also probably wouldn't use Tina or Jimmy in 2020 but someone to do a quality cover of it with the right imagery would be awesome.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Ok, so I was curious... the NRL FNF 90s ad was indeed copied (not modeled) from the FNF (not MNF like I recalled) ad from the Last Boy Scout. Same words and style.

And why not copy it? It reall gets the anticipation going for some footy watching.

This was a good ad too

TheDalek079

Bench
i like the Jess Mauboy cover idea. I thought her 2013 ad/song had a nice, welcoming vibe to it which encourages new fans to watch the sport

If they're bringing back Simply The Best...we need to bring back eye black/grease, Torpedo pants, nasal strips, shoulder pads, big baggy jerseys, the 5m rule, toeing ahead, raking the ball and chewing gum in footy cards.

Not too much to ask, is it?

If they're bringing back Simply The Best...we need to bring back eye black/grease, Torpedo pants, nasal strips, shoulder pads, big baggy jerseys, the 5m rule, toeing ahead, raking the ball and chewing gum in footy cards.

Not too much to ask, is it?

Serious question, do they not put the chewy in footy cards anymore? I Still remember the over the top artificial smell and it running out of flavour after about four chews. Oh maybe that’s why.

MugaB

Coach
Im all for some classic hits for adverts, but Grand finals need a bit more star power headlining the game, NRL need to start looking ahead for some big bands for 2020-2023, foo fighters, Muse, RHCP, Garbage, Metallica, QOTSA etc, like real big bands, that rubbish on 2019GF was terrible. Atleast if you can't get the bigger bands, get ones that have some grunt in their songs, Redlight Kings, Chevelle, Blackwater Fever..
Seriously NRL are a bunch of suits, the game is watched by blue collar fans.

Last edited:

unforgiven

Bench
Im all for some classic hits for adverts, but Grand finals need a bit more star power headlining the game, NRL need to start looking ahead for some big bands for 2020-2023, foo fighters, Muse, RHCP, Garbage, Metallica, QOTSA etc, like real big bands, that rubbish on 2019GF was terrible. Atleast if you can't get the bigger bands, get ones that have some grunt in their songs, Redlight Kings, Chevelle, Blackwater Fever..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoIUrHiJoJU

I was having this discussion with my wife the other day, it will be nice if we could have a band of the size that even if people didn't like them they couldn't argue the choice. I am talking the Metallica's, the GNRS, Foo Fighters sized bands. Your list is good but I do not think Queens and Garbage quite fit that bill

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoIUrHiJoJU

If you want "big name bands" then ticket prices will go up accordingly. The bands don't do it for free, not even for sports like the NFL if they are asked to play the Superbowl Halftime show. That's why 2019 NFL superbowl tickets cost average is $4,380 per ticket.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If you want "big name bands" then ticket prices will go up accordingly. The bands don't do it for free, not even for sports like the NFL if they are asked to play the Superbowl Halftime show. That's why 2019 NFL superbowl tickets cost average is $4,380 per ticket.

NRL must get around $16.5mill in ticket sales alone for GF day. You'd think they could afford it. If it is worth spending more is probably the bigger question. It doesn't add much to the fans there and doesn't sell anymore tickets, especially when it goes to 70k, so hard to justify the expense I guess?

NFL one works as it keeps people watching during HT and the advertising space can be ramped up to silly prices accordingly

AJB1102

First Grade
Why fork out big money for big bands when absolutely no one's decision whether or not to buy GF tickets ever comes down to who is singing?

There are absolutely plenty of Aussie bands with RL fans as band members. Either get a band or make a Super Group for the day playing a medley of their hits. I'm even happy to do cross genre Judgment Night soundtrack style mashings.

And I'm sure the local music industry could do with the shot in the arm.

And it doesn't always have to be little Sony bands either. FMD...they have a whole year. It can't be hard. Hell...organise these bands on Friday Night Half time and have them perform half time sets.

Canard

Immortal
Airbourne for mine.

Arena bands like Foo Fighters just aren't doing an Australian domestic comp unless it's $$$$.

The Killers was a great get for the AFL, and one of the advantages of a day GF, in that you can have a concert after the match. However quite frankly, the AFL have never even come close to matching that sort of band since.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
NRL must get around $16.5mill in ticket sales alone for GF day. You'd think they could afford it. If it is worth spending more is probably the bigger question. It doesn't add much to the fans there and doesn't sell anymore tickets, especially when it goes to 70k, so hard to justify the expense I guess?
The Big Day Out attracted similar crowds during its heyday. And the headline acts are many of those mentioned here that played on the same day.

Tickets were $100 - 140 at the time and it went for over 12 hours. Compared to the GF, it's great value for money just for the music factor.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
No one goes there to watch the pre game and/or half time entertainment. Most people just head off to the loo at half time anyway.

You will never satisfy all generations of the audience, I really dont believe the entertainment is that important.

Each to their own.