What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

strider

Post Whore
Must be why no one in NRL signed him. Why assume Lawrence then will accept less than $200k if similar pay days are available to him in UK?
And FFS Strider it doesn’t matter how much he WAS on. You don’t have to offer him the same amount
He went to the UK cos he can get good money there, the 300k+ that he wants for multiple years ... If he was prepared to be on 200k or less he probably would have stayed

84 Baby

Referee
He went to the UK cos he can get good money there, the 300k+ that he wants for multiple years ... If he was prepared to be on 200k or less he probably would have stayed
So you’re agreeing that Lawrence is in same boat? And that really:
Name one experienced and reliable (not a liability in defence) edge forward currently available for $200k (or less)?
doesn’t apply to Lawrence either?
I don’t like guessing player dollar values, but $200k isn’t much more than min wage. If he only requires that much, surely the Tigers can find that.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Here’s an article on Frizell that certainly wouldn’t instil confidence in Dragons fans, particularly this section:

Frizell wouldn’t look too far ahead but did claim: “At the moment I’m at the Dragons and I want to stay at the Dragons.

“Things happen in rugby league and sometimes you need to move on. I still have a contract there and I’m hoping to stay there as long as I can.

“But you never know what will happen and you can’t guarantee that. At this point I’m going nowhere.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/bf05bb811d4846e040ee5d0ae13fee0d

84 Baby

Referee
Only the Eels forum could talk about signing up a washed up over the hill player like Lawrence and it last over 3 pages.

But but but back up depth, but but but money ball......
If he’s on $200k, he’s certainly in backup range. So if he was your contracted starter, it’s either a massive steal or his backups are paid over $200k/worth even less than $200k. What’s the likelihood of someone over 30 being a steal?

But speaking of moneyball @Poupou Escobar wheres my stats on inside/outside defender tackle effectiveness and opponent per tackle metres?

hindy111

Post Whore
Only the Eels forum could talk about signing up a washed up over the hill player like Lawrence and it last over 3 pages.

But but but back up depth, but but but money ball......

Agree. Lawrence is type of guy only his own club would sign...
Like Gower for us who would offer the same.

84 Baby

Referee
Here’s an article on Frizell that certainly wouldn’t instil confidence in Dragons fans, particularly this section:

Frizell wouldn’t look too far ahead but did claim: “At the moment I’m at the Dragons and I want to stay at the Dragons.

“Things happen in rugby league and sometimes you need to move on. I still have a contract there and I’m hoping to stay there as long as I can.

“But you never know what will happen and you can’t guarantee that. At this point I’m going nowhere.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/bf05bb811d4846e040ee5d0ae13fee0d
Is the headline “Frizell isn’t Fo Shizzle”?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Surely Taka can do a similar job as Lawerence and offer better cover in the centres or even at half?? If we are relying on Lawerence to make a big difference in the back half of the season we are well and truly up shit creek.

84 Baby

Referee
Surely Taka can do a similar job as Lawerence and offer better cover in the centres or even at half?? If we are relying on Lawerence to make a big difference in the back half of the season we are well and truly up shit creek.
Taka has a lot of Taka plays in him and #vaveffs but he definitely offers more in attack than Lawrence and his front on defence is also probably better.

But I hope we aren’t relying on Taka being our first choice either

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

If Taka stays, we are still an edge forward short based on the make up of our 2019 squad.

Of course Lawrence isn’t going to make us contenders on his own, however if we added a “Arrow” to our pack, then the combo of the 2 could make us contenders.........

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
So you’re agreeing that Lawrence is in same boat? And that really:

doesn’t apply to Lawrence either?
I don’t like guessing player dollar values, but $200k isn’t much more than min wage. If he only requires that much, surely the Tigers can find that.

He has ruled out an UK move which reduces his capacity to get a decent contract:

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/07/lawrence-to-weigh-up-future-after-ruling-out-super-league-move/

Tigers have salary cap issues and their original offer was $100k or so:

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/tigers...-pay-cut/3768f79e-e9b8-4656-a764-196de4d2a62f

Then one of the footy shows suggested Lawrence would be happy with something around $140K.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/cou...s/news-story/46b8dc235c4203a6861c366d40fa295f

““He’s been a one-club player, he’s been a local junior. They only need to get to about $140,000 and he’ll play next year and he’ll get to 250 games. “

Obviously it’s all media talk but so far reports suggest he would accept something below $200k.

It’s the only reason I suggested Lawrence as a possible edge option for a year as he would be very cheap (that’s if we signed a quality middle forward)

Avenger

Immortal
When you have quality props like Paulo and RCG, a rejuvenated Kane Evans and Alvaro in support pounding the middle even a mid tier edge forward starts looking like an origin candidate.

Same reason why players like Aubusson at the Roosters and Murray at Souths have excelled. Their middle forwards punch the line so well that it makes the defensive line compress creating space for the edge.

Secondrowers and centres immediately start looking better than they are. It’s why Taka looks good on the edge when our middle forwards go forward.

84 Baby

Referee
He has ruled out an UK move which reduces his capacity to get a decent contract:

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/07/lawrence-to-weigh-up-future-after-ruling-out-super-league-move/

Tigers have salary cap issues and their original offer was $100k or so:

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/tigers...-pay-cut/3768f79e-e9b8-4656-a764-196de4d2a62f

Then one of the footy shows suggested Lawrence would be happy with something around $140K.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/cou...s/news-story/46b8dc235c4203a6861c366d40fa295f

““He’s been a one-club player, he’s been a local junior. They only need to get to about $140,000 and he’ll play next year and he’ll get to 250 games. “

Obviously it’s all media talk but so far reports suggest he would accept something below $200k.

It’s the only reason I suggested Lawrence as a possible edge option for a year as he would be very cheap (that’s if we signed a quality middle forward)
Again I’m not against Lawrence being in squad, particularly at min wage. I’m against him being a first choice starter. Even if it allows us to sign someone like Arrow. While the “superfriends” route seems the way to go, there has to still be a minimum standard for each of your top 17, otherwise it detracts from having the superstar in your lineup to begin with, and I’m not sure Lawrence reaches that standard

Gronk

Staff member
This merkin rates himself as the breaker of rumours. Personally I think he makes shit up.

84 Baby

Referee
This merkin rates himself as the breaker of rumours. Personally I think he makes shit up.

McCullough I can see taking the hit and heading elsewhere. It could extend his career a bit. But if Boyd retires there’d be serious questions over the release

Latest posts