What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frizell

SEAT 1A

Bench
Read an article that said that saints were thinking Frizz was too busted to extend his contract and this is how his management were seeing what his worth was .. maybe saints should ask supercoach WHY Frizz is busted.

Because he knows more than the specify educated HP Unit, give me a break.

getsmarty

Immortal

• Frizell says rejection of de Belin's bid to play hurt Dragons
    Christian Nicolussi
    October 8, 2019 — 7.46pm
    • Send via Email
    Tyson Frizell has revealed how St George Illawarra players genuinely believed Jack de Belin would be cleared to return from an NRL ban only to be disappointed on the eve of their mid-season clash against Newcastle.

While Frizell stopped short of confirming the Dragons were prepared to boycott the game, he made it clear that playing was the last thing they wanted to do.

958b27e9ad6bb7a4fa15c2fccb858d2971c4f47a

Tyson Frizell says the Dragons players all thought they would play alongside Jack de Belin this season.Credit:Anna Warr

The gun back-rower also spoke about not pulling out of the final year of his Dragons contract, how he feared the forgettable year could cruel his representative aspirations, and why long-suffering Red V supporters should be optimistic about 2020.

As revealed in Tuesday's Herald, Dragons players were stunned and in no mood to play against the Knights when the Federal Court upheld the NRL's ban on de Belin because of sexual assault charges.

"It was the game we thought Jack was coming back to play," said Frizell before he flew out for Fiji with the Prime Minister's XIII on Tuesday. "There was a lot of disappointment and a weird feeling with everyone thinking Jack would be back that day. Then to find out just before the game he wouldn't, it was tough for the squad.

"He's a close mate to everyone. It dragged on for so long and we were excited to finally hear the news. We thought it was going to be positive and it wasn't.

"Going into that game, you don't take it out on the game, but beforehand wasn't ideal.

"I still speak with Jack all the time. He's fine. He has to deal with it and move on with his life. It's a waiting game for him."

De Belin's court case and the injury to Gareth Widdop were the two big reasons the Dragons finished 15th.

And with de Belin's court case to be heard just before the start of the new season, along with the intense scrutiny on coach Paul McGregor, and Widdop now in England, Dragons fans are entitled to wonder if things will improve.

Frizell himself becomes free to negotiate with rival clubs in 22 days time and would be a huge loss.

I guarantee you that everyone will be doing everything they can to create a winning culture and a team that will be a lot more consistent.

Tyson Frizell
    "It won't be a year like it was," Frizell said. "I guarantee you that everyone in the football department will be doing everything they can to create a winning culture and a team that will be a lot more consistent with our footy.

"It will be different. We can't have what we tossed up this year again. I just know it won't happen."

NRL 2019
    Dragons begin repair work after season of strife and boycott threat
    Frizell was open to Phil Gould coming on board to support the club.

"He's been around and knows his stuff, and any help we can get would be great," he said.

As for his own future, Frizell, who is 27 and yet to win a premiership, said he had no intention of leaving the club next season but was unsure what would happen beyond then.

"It's pretty frustrating feeling like I have to defend myself and tell everyone I'm not going or have spoken to anyone," Frizell said. "The more it comes up the more people think it's true. I've told everyone I haven't spoken to anyone, nor have plans to leave the Dragons early.

"The club know that, management know that. I don't know if it's come from another club wanting to approach me and it's gone that way, I don't know.

"At this point, I'm going nowhere. At the moment I'm at the Dragons and I want to stay at the Dragons.

"Things happen in rugby league and sometimes you need to move on. I still have a contract there and I'm hoping to stay there as long as I can. But you never know what will happen, and you can't guarantee that.

Frizell said he thought other clubs might have spoken to his manager.

"But there's been no negotiations or anything like that . . . it might be a bit of 'we're interested, let us know'. That's it. And I guess that can happen when you're coming up to the end of your contract.

"It will all sort itself out. I will try not to drag it out."

Chrisitan Nicolussi is a guest of the NRL in Fiji with the Prime Minister's XIII.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/fr...bid-to-play-hurt-dragons-20191008-p52yry.html

BLM01

First Grade
The only disturbing thing in Frizz's article that he was worried about how the year might affect his rep chances..if he actually said it like that or is is another journo twist of words.
Yes it is potential income and a honour but he should of been worrying about the team and his performance 1st. I hope he did not say it like that.

nontime111

Juniors
I loved this article, specially the bit about him wanting to stay a Dragon!!
Any news on Luch Id hate to lose either of them, our 2 best forwards along with Cam mightyman Mcinnis

blacksafake

First Grade
It's obvious his manager is talking to other clubs, even Frizz admits it.
I reckon it's 40/60 of him being with us in 2021.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I loved this article, specially the bit about him wanting to stay a Dragon!!
Any news on Luch Id hate to lose either of them, our 2 best forwards along with Cam mightyman Mcinnis
I’m a bit worried because of the short term deal that because Mary knows he only has two years in him he gets rid of a heap of promising juniors to try to buy himself a premiership in getting some veterans that have one last hurrah in them. It will backfire and will leave us with another rebuild.

possm

Coach
Frizz at the dragons next year but after that will depend on who else is here.
Also nothing set in concrete .
Luc is in the same boat.
Hire Brown as head coach and we would able to keep the players we want, we should be able to attract some reasonable talent to our squad. A Brown/Flanagan coaching combination would drastically improve our squad and the teams performance in 2020.

Can anyone confidently say that Mary could do that?

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Hire Brown as head coach and we would able to keep the players we want, we should be able to attract some reasonable talent to our squad. A Brown/Flanagan coaching combination would drastically improve our squad and the teams performance in 2020.

Can anyone confidently say that Mary could do that?
I wouldn’t say he improved Ponga to be honest, I could only imagine what Bennett, Bellamy or Robbo could do with Ponga.

getsmarty

Immortal
Frizz at the dragons next year but after that will depend on who else is here.
Also nothing set in concrete .
Luc is in the same boat.

100% correct Samy. We will find out after all the comings and goings get sorted...should know by end of November.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Tyson worried about his rep chances? All players get selected on their own form not team form ask Jai Arrow, Matterson, Klemmer, etc. I am sure if he keeps playing the way he is he will be playing reps next year, He was great in Origin and there is some form of loyalty there under Fittler.

His Manager is obviously shopping him around to get a value of his worth to go back to the Saints. I have a feeling he will stay but I think the coach may have a role. If things don't imporve and Mary is there long term he will go as he would like to win a comp and with Mary there is no chance of that happening.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
My take on this is that Friz is happy to stay for 2020. The scenario for ongoing at the Dragons, imo, will depend on (a) how the team performs in 2020, particularly early, and (b) who will he head coach moving forward.
Putting feelers out now shows also he may require a significant salary increase increase and that may also form part of finding out his market value

possm

Coach
I wouldn’t say he improved Ponga to be honest, I could only imagine what Bennett, Bellamy or Robbo could do with Ponga.
Ponga was doing very well under Brown until club politics took control. Remember it was Brown who brought Ponga to Newcastle and at the time it was said to be a big risk only to be lauded later on when Ponga showed he was worth every dollar Newcastle paid.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Ponga was doing very well under Brown until club politics took control. Remember it was Brown who brought Ponga to Newcastle and at the time it was said to be a big risk only to be lauded later on when Ponga showed he was worth every dollar Newcastle paid.
The price they paid was a risk but every club would have been interested. I don’t see Brown as a premiership winning coach at NRL level. He’d be a good assistant I reckon but not for us we need new blood. I’d have gone with Wane for sure. Old experienced and a fresh voice with fresh ideas.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
When he coached Brown had a grudge against Lance Thompson and probably Barrett and was more interested in going to the races and gambling than coaching and preparing his players. That is why they missed the eight by losing to the Panthers in the last round I think 28 to 30. Instead of training the day before they went to the races.

boardlumps62

Juniors
When he coached Brown had a grudge against Lance Thompson and probably Barrett and was more interested in going to the races and gambling than coaching and preparing his players. That is why they missed the eight by losing to the Panthers in the last round I think 28 to 30. Instead of training the day before they went to the races.
Read in here a Newcastle fan saying something about Nathan coaching the Knights didn't seem they were not impressed with him and more to him leaving than we know. He maybe still not be what we want even as assistant.

BLM01

First Grade
Read in here a Newcastle fan saying something about Nathan coaching the Knights didn't seem they were not impressed with him and more to him leaving than we know. He maybe still not be what we want even as assistant.
There is apparently and will come out according to the great Gus Gould.
He was white anted apparently, not sure if it was senior players after the Ramien debacle...of the board..me thinks player power push

getsmarty

Immortal
St. George Illawarra gun Tyson Frizell thrilled by the impending arrival of Shane Flanagan

$
© Provided by Perform Media Channels Limited
Dragons star Tyson Frizell is thrilled at the prospect of working alongside former Sharks mentor Shane Flanagan following the Red V's dreadful 2019 season.

An assistant coaching role is all but confirmed at the Dragons for Flanagan, after he was given the green light to return to the coaching frame by the NRL in September, following his deregistration at the end of last year.

With the Dragons ending the 2019 season with their lowest finish since the joint venture was formed in 1999, the club identified the need for change within the coaching ranks as crucial.

And whilst head coach Paul McGregor was narrowly spared the axed following the club's post-season review, the club moved quickly to speak with Flanagan about deputising him.

The experienced coach himself is favouring the move, having debuted as a St. George player in 1987, and believes he can help turn the club's fortunes around in 2020.

And Frizell, who played under Flanagan as a junior at Cronulla, says he's looking forward to the premiership-winning coach coming on board.

"It's good, I've played under Flanno at the Sharks when I was coming through there," Frizell said ahead of the World Cup Nines tournament.

"He's gone and done a lot of great things at the Sharks, and I think it would be great for our club if he could come in and help out.

"Obviously there's going to be a lot of changes with the playing roster and the coaching staff.

"I guess a fresh start and a few fresh new faces might help us out as a club and as a team."

Frizell likened the Dragons current situation to Parramatta, who after a dreadful 2018 season were the competition's biggest improvers this season, making the quarter-finals.

The Origin backrower knows how crucial adding premiership experienced individuals to a club is, like the Eels did with the recruitment of Blake Ferguson from premiers the Roosters ahead of this season.

And the impending appointment of Flanagan to the Dragons' coaching staff is something Frizell believes could be the game-changer for his side in 2020.

"I guess assistant coach is a different role but Flanno knows what it takes to get to the end there and win a premiership," Frizell added.

"Us as a team, I don't think any of our players have been there at the end and won a premiership.

"So to have a guy like him within the club that's been there and done that helping us do whatever we need to get to the end (will be crucial)."

Even amongst his heavy international involvement over the past week, Frizell has had ample time to reflect on where it all went wrong for the Red V this year.

Outside changes to the coaching staff, and possibly playing roster, the fast-footed backrower is adamant the players' attitudes will be positive when training commences again in a few week's time.

"The season that was wasn't ideal in what we'd planned, come to the start of this year," Frizell said.

"We had our eyes set for the top four and things didn't go our way and we didn't play good footy.

"We just let it get on top of us and we couldn't crawl our way out of it. I know we've got a side to push to the top of the competition.

"We can talk about it as much as we want now but we need to put in the hard work to get ourselves in that position.

"The boys will be hurting early November to getting it down and getting it right."

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rug...mpending-arrival-of-shane-flanagan/ar-AAIPXu4