What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT-Marsters released by Tigers, set to join Cowboys

TruSaint

Referee
The Wests Tigers have released centre Esan Marsters from the final year of his contract, effectively immediately, with the Kiwi international set to join the North Queensland Cowboys.

NRL.com understands Marsters’s manager approached the Wests Tigers a couple of months ago about the potential to upgrade his contract for 2020.

The Tigers decided against upgrading the contract and allowed the centre to test his value on the market.

He has since travelled to the Cowboys to meet club officials and has been granted a release. He is set to join the Townsville club next season.

The Tigers, who have been criticised for paying overs for players in the past, are hellbent on ensuring history doesn’t repeat itself and were not willing to match what the Cowboys were willing to pay.

Marsters gets married on Friday, with coach Michael Maguire expected to be in attendance such is the relationship between player and coach.

Maguire recently met Dragons rising star Zac Lomax and Marsters's departure could open the door for the Tigers to pounce if St George Illawarra release him.

The Tigers are expected to put their faith in young gun Tommy Talau, while the Cowboys get the much-needed boost to their back line they were after.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/10/marsters-released-by-tigers-set-to-join-cowboys/

TruSaint

Referee
It was reported in the press about a month ago and when questioned about it Madge said they are interested in any good players. There has been no comment from Lomax and of course continued silence from anyone at the Dragons.

OK, must have missed that.
Cheers

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Yeah heard that, terrible news as it a. Means we missed out on him & b. They will be at best competing with us for a centre, at worst poaching Lomax.

BLM01

First Grade
It was reported in the press about a month ago and when questioned about it Madge said they are interested in any good players. There has been no comment from Lomax and of course continued silence from anyone at the Dragons.
There has been silence from all as all the club have done is ask his manager to test his worth on the market as they are currently looking at his new 2021 deal.as I can copy and paste my comments in regards to Canberra hoohaa also
I am confident he will be as he wants to be with the Dragons...if...of course they come close to the right $$$$$$ and he is given a chance to work into the centre position next year from the trials
If not.... well you all know what that means

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
There has been silence from all as all the club have done is ask his manager to test his worth on the market as they are currently looking at his new 2021 deal.as I can copy and paste my comments in regards to Canberra hoohaa also
I am confident he will be as he wants to be with the Dragons...if...of course they come close to the right $$$$$$ and he is given a chance to work into the centre position next year from the trials
If not.... well you all know what that means
Does he actually want to play centre or fullback? That is the issue, I have heard him state fullback is his preferred position. To be honest I have heard people say McGuire is a prick of a bloke and good in very small doses. I don’t see the Tigers challenging for the 8 next season. If on good money at his age he’d be silly to leave, all the positions he plays are wide open for us. He could go to Flanno/Mary and say I want a crack at fullback and I will re sign and they would probably make it happen.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
We should have gone after Marsters.. We could do with a strong centre like him..

We could have used the lure that he could play alongside his cousin and they could form a.....

Oh... That’s right...

As you were, people.

BLM01

First Grade
Does he actually want to play centre or fullback? That is the issue, I have heard him state fullback is his preferred position. To be honest I have heard people say McGuire is a prick of a bloke and good in very small doses. I don’t see the Tigers challenging for the 8 next season. If on good money at his age he’d be silly to leave, all the positions he plays are wide open for us. He could go to Flanno/Mary and say I want a crack at fullback and I will re sign and they would probably make it happen.
McGregor stated it that it is and I dont know why.
Maybe to support what fumblin bumblin ideas go around in his head on what to do with a non performing team.
You find me where Zac himself said it he prefers it...he has said he does not mind fullback and has played a little bit their but at the same time said he will go where he is needed...but not his preference...
and here is a tip Mary ....nor is winger or bench or reggies.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Yeah heard that, terrible news as it a. Means we missed out on him & b. They will be at best competing with us for a centre, at worst poaching Lomax.
I am not concerned one bit if we missed out on Esan Marsters. Take away his offload, and he doesn't offer much in attack. On the other hand I am hoping that we hang onto Lomax.

I am shaking my head in disbelief that we are letting Leilua go. To top it off I am shaking my head in disbelief that we haven't let Aitken and Lafai both go.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Lomax may be a better centre than fullback, but with our current roster, I would would be giving Lomax first shot at fullback, as I think he may be the best fullback we currently have on our roster. I am keen to see more of Schiller and Ramsey. I am imagining a future backline of

1 Schiller
2 Saab
3 Lomax
4 Feagai
5 Ramsey
6 K Flanagan/Sailor/Wishart
7 Sullivan

All of those youngters could become regular first graders in the next 2 or 3 years. The outside backs all have size and speed. I think they will also be better than the outside backs we had this year.

Frank Facer

First Grade
McGregor stated it that it is and I dont know why.
Maybe to support what fumblin bumblin ideas go around in his head on what to do with a non performing team.
You find me where Zac himself said it he prefers it...he has said he does not mind fullback and has played a little bit their but at the same time said he will go where he is needed...but not his preference...
and here is a tip Mary ....nor is winger or bench or reggies.
Early this year, I do recall reading or hearing that Lomax stated that fullback was his preferred position.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Lomax may be a better centre than fullback, but with our current roster, I would would be giving Lomax first shot at fullback, as I think he may be the best fullback we currently have on our roster. I am keen to see more of Schiller and Ramsey. I am imagining a future backline of

1 Schiller
2 Saab
3 Lomax
4 Feagai
5 Ramsey
6 K Flanagan/Sailor/Wishart
7 Sullivan

All of those youngters could become regular first graders in the next 2 or 3 years. The outside backs all have size and speed. I think they will also be better than the outside backs we had this year.
I’d have Silverman ahead of Feagai.

Wittenberg

Juniors
Look let’s face it with McGregor as coach a half decent player would leave so I would not expect to see Luc or Lomax in the Red V beyond next year. Look at how Zac was used this year, winger, full-back, centre and left right out at times, and all the time having Lafai and Aitken picked before him whenever they were fit. So with Lafai and Aitken still on deck centre is blocked to him. He is a waste as a winger and surely he knows that. Sailor has emerged also as an ingredient in the puzzle. Aitken and Lafai will lose us Zac and we will lose at least one of Tyson or Luc at the end of next year, if not before. Yes keeping MacGregor will cost us dearly indeed and is such a positive move Mr Johnston and Mr Gould.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I am not concerned one bit if we missed out on Esan Marsters. Take away his offload, and he doesn't offer much in attack. On the other hand I am hoping that we hang onto Lomax.

I am shaking my head in disbelief that we are letting Leilua go. To top it off I am shaking my head in disbelief that we haven't let Aitken and Lafai both go.
It’s not just that we may lose Lomax but that Tigers are in the hunt for an outside back, so are we. That will push up the price of any that become available.

Latest posts