What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ryan Matterson possibly on the way out?

BrotherJim05

Bench
Yeah he said that about Cleary leaving.
Limp wristed twinkie he is.

Bit different. We couldn't really do anything about Cleary leaving, whereas we can really f**k Matterson over if we want. The chips are in our favour.

We got a really good outcome regarding Cleary. We have a better coach and we were paid out a huge transfer fee

WA Tiger

Bench
Hopefully Madge wears the pants in that relationship ...Patty Pascoe can stick to money matters
Shit I got the word wrong I meant Patsy Pascoe ..It’s funny how you remember things later ..I wondered why I couldn’t find Patty in the dictionary.

stryker

First Grade
Bit different. We couldn't really do anything about Cleary leaving, whereas we can really f**k Matterson over if we want. The chips are in our favour.

We got a really good outcome regarding Cleary. We have a better coach and we were paid out a huge transfer fee
At some stage we were saying we would push for a player or 2. I see no proof of a better coach presently. Still came 9th. Team still shit.

Tiger Ted

Bench
At some stage we were saying we would push for a player or 2. I see no proof of a better coach presently. Still came 9th. Team still shit.
Madge is a top draw coach.He is making decisions conducive to attaining success.We did very well considering the millions of dollars of our cap squandered on garbage who for various reasons contributed fk all to the teams efforts this season.Blind Freddy knows that whist ever we r hamstrung by clearys mismanagement of the cap/roster we will b unable to recruit elite players.Hence we need to b a little more patient re attaining the roster that will bring success under Madge.

Some club has to make a stand and play hardball with these players, I do think its the managers fault, but I hope its us and he stays and plays with a feeder club until he begs to be back in NRL.

I agree, but it's pretty hypocritical of the clubs to whinge about players wanting out when they're shipping players off every other day of the week. We're apparently trying to move on five players. Looks a bit stupid asking Matterson to honour his contract when the club is telling other players that they don't want to live up to their end of the deal on their contracts. I still think unless we are getting something favourable in return for Matterson's release, we should keep him at the club and burn his chances of earning top dollar in the short and long term.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I agree, but it's pretty hypocritical of the clubs to whinge about players wanting out when they're shipping players off every other day of the week. We're apparently trying to move on five players. Looks a bit stupid asking Matterson to honour his contract when the club is telling other players that they don't want to live up to their end of the deal on their contracts. I still think unless we are getting something favourable in return for Matterson's release, we should keep him at the club and burn his chances of earning top dollar in the short and long term.

I see the comparison but I think they’re pretty different. We have told certain players that they are free to leave if they can find another home, more then likely they won’t be in first grade next year so it’s up to them what they want to do. If they stay they’ll still train, get paid in full and if their form/attitude warrants it be in the frame for first grade selection. We are honouring the contracts.

Matterson has thrown a tantrum and refused to come to training, which is him not honouring his contract.

I honestly don’t see it as being hypocritical at all.

I see the comparison but I think they’re pretty different. We have told certain players that they are free to leave if they can find another home, more then likely they won’t be in first grade next year so it’s up to them what they want to do. If they stay they’ll still train, get paid in full and if their form/attitude warrants it be in the frame for first grade selection. We are honouring the contracts.

Matterson has thrown a tantrum and refused to come to training, which is him not honouring his contract.

I honestly don’t see it as being hypocritical at all.

The situations are not identical I'll agree with that, particularly with the way Matterson is handling it. If he is refusing to come to training the club should withhold monies due.

But by telling players they are free to go you're basically entering discussion to re-negotiate the terms of the contract, so therefore you really don't want to honour the contract that was originally discussed and agreed upon, which is the issue I have with Matterson.

Tiger05

First Grade
But by telling players they are free to go you're basically entering discussion to re-negotiate the terms of the contract, so therefore you really don't want to honour the contract that was originally discussed and agreed upon, which is the issue I have with Matterson.

To me it's very different. Matterson is not honoring his contract because he wants more money and isn't turning up to training. We are still honoring those players contracts. They are getting paid. If they perform they will make first grade. I even heard Madge state that Reynolds may make it at 9 for us.

Last edited:
To me it's very different. Matterson is not honoring his contract because he wants more money and isn't turning up to training. We are still honoring those players contracts. They are getting paid. If they perform they will make first grade. I even heard Madge state that Reynolds may make it at 9 for us.

We are honouring contracts because we are forced to. We can't just stop paying players because they no longer meet what we're after.

We can feasibly do the same with Matterson. He technically cannot walk away. The club apparently won't let him go unless we get something out of it (see Cleary.)

Tiger05

First Grade
We are honouring contracts because we are forced to. We can't just stop paying players because they no longer meet what we're after.

We can feasibly do the same with Matterson. He technically cannot walk away. The club apparently won't let him go unless we get something out of it (see Cleary.)

We don't know what is going to happen but it appears Matterson will go and I bet we won't get the right amount of compensation. The players who are overpaid won't go because no club will want them and no club is going to pay full freight.

It's a dud deal for us and for any club that ends up in that situation.

I think the players union, the NRL and player managers need to show some integrity and not have it both ways in their favor.

Tigerm

First Grade
The situations are not identical I'll agree with that, particularly with the way Matterson is handling it. If he is refusing to come to training the club should withhold monies due.

What options do he clubs have when the player is not performing to what the club signed them up for?

As Vic said the club still has to honour the player wanting to leave.

BrotherJim05

Bench
NRL is so ridiculously amateur hour. Introduce a f**king draft system. Oh a player doesn't want to go to Titans? Okay then, stay at your club. Don't want to stay at your club? Well too bad you don't get to choose where you go

Club doesn't want your services any more, trade them to another club. You are getting paid a lot of money, I don't care if you are homesick, suck it up and deal with it for the next couple of years.

Tiger05

First Grade
NRL is so ridiculously amateur hour. Introduce a f**king draft system. Oh a player doesn't want to go to Titans? Okay then, stay at your club. Don't want to stay at your club? Well too bad you don't get to choose where you go

Club doesn't want your services any more, trade them to another club. You are getting paid a lot of money, I don't care if you are homesick, suck it up and deal with it for the next couple of years.

I don't think the salary cap works without the draft system or better put it doesn't work well. A draft would stop the whole crapola in relation to the rorters being dog cheats.

Latest posts