What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PM XIII - Fiji V Australia, Suva

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Yeah I'm guessing this wasnt promoted enough. Even a lot of us here had no idea they were playing in Fiji up until a month ago

jim_57

Staff member
Yeah I'm guessing this wasnt promoted enough. Even a lot of us here had no idea they were playing in Fiji up until a month ago

It would have been good to see it stay in PNG, even if they have a second game against Fiji/Tonga/Samoa every year.

Game needs a bit of a rethink, it isn't really a credible 'trial' for the Kangaroos if they're playing amatuers. It should be used to reward some young players and State Cup players mixed with some big name NRL players.

Likewise have a mix of PNG/Fiji locals scattered with some NRL/SL stars each year. At least try and keep it somewhat competitive.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Great experience for the Fijians, never gave up, outclassed.

Great hit out for a bunch of Aussie fellas who will back up for the nines together.

Future immortal Brad Parker vs park footballers.... was never gonna end well. If only we would kick goals we woulda won by 70. The commentators get the award for worst commentators ever.... fancy getting campbell graham mixed up with blake ferguson, obviously theyve never watched a game of league in their lives.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
We do ourselves no favours, firstly we leave promoting and selling a game to an organisation which arguably have zero experience in ever drawing a decent crowd to a game in the FNRL (a body made up mainly volunteers and people use to coordinating RL competitions, not promoting games).

Secondly we set the game up as a mismatch of Professionals vs Amateurs, and finally, we play it on a Friday night.

I'm sure playing this on a Saturday or Sunday would have at least helped draw a larger crowd, and same if there had been at least 1 or 2 Fijian NRL players join the squad.

Agreed. We have to remember rugby league is not the countries passion, union is. There was a reasonable crowd considering, but they can improve from here.
Considering the Fijians were local players they did very well, a couple of bigger names in future selections and experience with them entering the Australian competition and this will be a great addition to the calander. Remember the PNG PM's XIII were beaten 58-0 in 2016.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
A month ago?

The first I heard of this match was 17 minutes ago on Channel 7 news by reading the score at the bottom of the screen.

milton

Juniors
The only way the game would have gotten a bigger crowd is if a few of the Fijian NRL players were playing. Id imagine if Sivo was playing it would have sold out

Perth Red

Post Whore
Needs some decent nrl Fijian names. Lol at sco mo running water. I hope the nrl are milking us having a rl fan as pm?

jim_57

Staff member
The only way the game would have gotten a bigger crowd is if a few of the Fijian NRL players were playing. Id imagine if Sivo was playing it would have sold out

This. All well and good for Fiji to run with some locals but all is a bit much, that's what a resident's side or Fiji 'A' should be for. The local fans want to see some of their own guns I'm sure, not just see all local amatuers get thrashed.

If it remains in Fiji next year have at least 3/4 pros play.

Sivo, Kikau, Vunivalu, Ravalawa, Naiqama, Naologo, Simms(s), Safiti(s), RCG, Koroisau, Wakeham, Bukuya, Evans, Kamikamika etc.

jim_57

Staff member
Fijian prop forward (No:10) Tikiko Noke has played the last 2 years in PNG for current Digicel Cup Premiers Lae Tigers.

Thought he looked one of the strongest for Fiji, made plenty of good metres and looked hard to stop.

taste2taste

Juniors
I wonder how league is viewed in Fiji ? Do they have the same toxic League Vs Union we have in Australia, England and to a lesser extent NZ ? Or is league viewed as an equal ?
I've visited Fiji once many years ago and remember there being a fair bit of NRL in their local paper.