What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We Have Enough Cap Space to Buy Quality

Bench
We need to go back to just being St George Dragons playing out of Kogarah. I would think that being based in the Gong would not be a great selling point to prospective new players.
The Board needs to make some hard decisions to get our club back to where it belongs, there is no culture anymore that once made our club the power house it used to be where players wanted to play for the saints.
Robert Stone was going to be moved on but took a pay cut and wasn’t guaranteed a first grade spot.
The crowds we get now are terrible, in the olden days the place was packed. Now who bothers to go to watch them play at WIN, crowds there are an embarrassment

jak

Bench
The reason why the Dragons were so successful between 1956 to 1966 is that they had quality players, no holes in their roster and had good utility players such as Armstrong, Clay, Evans, Langlands, Pollard, Rasmussen, Smith, etc. It is no good having great forwards without competent backs. The Dragons backline is poor and getting weaker. No attack,
snail pace, woeful defence, poor handling, inept kicking and flawed tactics. The Board only has two ex players and the entire Board
do not take their job seriously regarding having a competent well coached team back up by strong depth at lower tiers.
and we also had frank facer who made it all work

Wittenberg

Juniors
We need to go back to just being St George Dragons playing out of Kogarah. I would think that being based in the Gong would not be a great selling point to prospective new players.
The Board needs to make some hard decisions to get our club back to where it belongs, there is no culture anymore that once made our club the power house it used to be where players wanted to play for the saints.
Robert Stone was going to be moved on but took a pay cut and wasn’t guaranteed a first grade spot.
The crowds we get now are terrible, in the olden days the place was packed. Now who bothers to go to watch them play at WIN, crowds there are an embarrassment
Those days are gone. The only side of our club that might survive on its own, in the long term, would be Illawarra I’m afraid.

Wittenberg

Juniors
Regarding our cap space the number of players supposedly leaving or being let go by our club seems to be getting smaller. Latts yes, Robson yes, Algood, yes, Masters yes. Any others? Aitken no, Dufty no, Lafai no, Timm, nothing stated I don’t think. Can anyone provide an update?

TruSaint

Referee
Regarding our cap space the number of players supposedly leaving or being let go by our club seems to be getting smaller. Latts yes, Robson yes, Algood, yes, Masters yes. Any others? Ait, no, Dufty no, Lafai no, Timm, nothing stated I don’t think. Can anyone provide an update?

I think Luc has been asked to look elsewhere.

Wittenberg

Juniors
I think Luc has been asked to look elsewhere.
If that is true TruSaint we are more stuffed than I thought. Let’s compare Host, Kerr or for that matter Ford to Luc and which one has the ability to turn or win a game? I’d keep all four, although I think Host has had his chances, but to lose Luc. Ah well my friend under this Club’s coaching and , leadership, anything is possible.

TruSaint

Referee
If that is true TruSaint we are more stuffed than I thought. Let’s compare Host, Kerr or for that matter Ford to Luc and which one has the ability to turn or win a game? I’d keep all four, although I think Host has had his chances, but to lose Luc. Ah well my friend under this Club’s coaching and , leadership, anything is possible.

Witt's, Its only what I have heard thru a decent source. I would be surprised if he stays.

PS, I want to keep him as well. He showed even this past season he was building nicely into a skillful , damaging player.

Last edited:

18to87

First Grade
Witt's, Its only what I have heard thru a decent source. I would be surprised if he stays.

PS, I want to keep him as well. He showed even this past season he was building nicely into a skillful , damaging player.
I wonder if he was told mid-season because he was one of the best in the second half of the year. It's pretty standard for a Dragons player to step up when he needs to show something for his next contract.

nontime111

Juniors
my father was friends with frank and I never saw dollar notes falling out of his pockets, unlike politis
thanks, beat me to it, an insult to put mighty Frank Facer on the same level as that grubby filthy cheat...
All he does is throw buckets of money in back door deals...hes not Frank Facers toenail dirt!

Reactions: jak

TruSaint

Referee
St George Illawarra Dragons set to resurrect Issac Luke’s career

St George Illawarra are set to land their first signing for 2020 with Issac Luke set to join as cover for former South Sydney teammate Cameron McInnes.

from DT..

TruSaint

Referee
St. George Illawarra Dragons set to throw clubless hooker Issac Luke a lifeline

McInnes was once Luke's understudy at South Sydney, and was for long viewed as the man to replace him when Luke moved to the Warriors in 2016.

However, since moving to the Dragons in 2017, McInnes has been a revelation and following his best season to date, look set to be handed the club captaincy with the departure of Gareth Widdop.

With back up rake Reece Robson signing with the Cowboys midway through the year, the Dragons have identified Luke as an ideal replacement.

Whilst it's unclear where Luke will fit in the 17 next season, Paul McGregor could opt to use McInnes at lock at different stages next season should Jack de Belin not return, thereby giving Luke an opportunity at dummy-half.

After playing his last game in Warriors colours, having not been offered a new deal, the outlook for Luke didn't look promising following an inconsistent 2019 season.

The Tigers and Sea Eagles reportedly had a nibble at the experienced rake, but neither club chose to make a move.

https://c-8oqtgrjgwu0x24rdux2evykoix2eeqo.g00.nospam47.com/g00/3_c-8yyy.urqtvkpipgyu.eqo_/c-8OQTGRJGWU0x24jvvrux3ax2fx2frdu.vykoi.eqox2frtqhkng_kocigux2f3483635490x2foeyee_pqtocn.LRIx3fk32e.octmx3dkocig_$/$/$/$
Michael Carayannis

:heavy_check_mark:@MCarayannis

St George Illawarra Dragons set to resurrect Issac Luke’s career http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/dragons/news-story/568ac3381dbaaf5d811042f1e48e2760 …

Dragons set to resurrect Luke’s career
St George Illawarra are set to throw Issac Luke a career lifeline by offering the former Kiwi hooker a one-year deal.

dailytelegraph.com.au

6:00 PM - Oct 12, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

40 people are talking about this

With the Red V completing a wide-ranging review after their horror 2019 season, led by former Panthers supremo Phil Gould, a number of roster and coaching changes have been touted.

There were reports the embattled club would make a play for former junior Jack Bird, who was suggested to be on the outer at the Broncos.

Meanwhile, it appears former Sharks premiership-winning coach Shane Flanagan, who has been granted a return to the game, will sign as an assistant coach to support Paul McGregor.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
We still haven't been told who are our final list of departing players for next year. Our only definites are:

Robson - Luke as replacememt
Masters - who was in the DS
Widdop - basically replaced by Nornan but his spot in the top 30 open
Latimore - no replacement

There are also the unconfirmed (from the top 30)
Timm
Field
Nicholls

There are also those that may be elevated to the top 30 (from the current DS)
Ford
Saab