What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP NRL

Chook Norris

First Grade

That'd be funny if it was true. It's not.

A week on from the grand final plenty of neutrals have finally calmed down, moved on from the sooking and admitted that the Raiders were not robbed. It's like when you get into an argument with your partner and they finally become a little more rational a few hours after.. Roosters landed the killer blow when it mattered. The Raiders had plenty of jabs but very little connected.

TheDalek079

Bench
i think the whinging shows that deep down, they know that Canberra cannot sustain their good form and will descend into mediocrity next season, so the fans are really upset that they missed their one opportunity to win the premiership

Tommy Smith

Referee
i think the whinging shows that deep down, they know that Canberra cannot sustain their good form and will descend into mediocrity next season, so the fans are really upset that they missed their one opportunity to win the premiership
The Raiders had a golden injury free run; culminating in an entire roster to pick from throughout the finals.

One simply can't underestimate how important this is to a Premiership tilt.

Now at full strength the Raiders are a quality footy side and more than capable backing up next year. They played a blinder in the GF and took the best side of the NRL era to the brink.

But their depth is a bit thin; and the chances that they have another rails ride injury free run is unlikely so this may have indeed been their golden opportunity.

I personally hope they can back it up next year because they added a lot to the competition this year. They were the guardians that protected the NRL from another Storm-Roosters GF.

carcharias

Immortal
The Raiders had a golden injury free run; culminating in an entire roster to pick from throughout the finals.

One simply can't underestimate how important this is to a Premiership tilt.

Now at full strength the Raiders are a quality footy side and more than capable backing up next year. They played a blinder in the GF and took the best side of the NRL era to the brink.

But their depth is a bit thin; and the chances that they have another rails ride injury free run is unlikely so this may have indeed been their golden opportunity.

I personally hope they can back it up next year because they added a lot to the competition this year. They were the guardians that protected the NRL from another Storm-Roosters GF.

Windows close very quickly.

Game_Breaker

Coach
you can’t tell from the stills if he did or didn’t so there is absolutely no way live you could be 100% sure. It was a 50/50 call, hence why we got 50% of refs thinking he did and 50% thinking he didn’t lol.

once the lead ref makes that call the pocket has to keep his mouth shut, and if he doesn’t the lead ref has to ignore him. We all knew this day would come, nothing will change, NRl is sht at sorting this rubbish out.

I agree
Cummins is copping it but Sutton is as much to blame

He asked for their opinion and they hesitated. Cummins made the call during their radio silence. They should’ve kept quiet once a decision was made

Pete Cash

Post Whore

Of course we know this.

AJB1102

First Grade
The problem is absolutely having 2 refs. Refs shouldn't need to be debating calls on the run. We'll always have 50/50 calls but with 1 ref he picks which side of the 50/50 he's on and everyone moves in that direction. With 2 refs unless both see it the same way it gets messy and ultimately you have 2 officials undermining each other and will always end up with at least 1 bloke getting it wrong.

What's the point of the pocket ref standing over every tackle/PTB calling "strip/knock-on" if the bloke 10 meters away patrolling the 10 is just gonna ignore him? It has to be confusing hearing "penalty, penalty, penalty!" followed by "play-on".

We've only got a squad of 16 NRL refs. The absolute bare minimum required to cover a round of footy. If the best 8/10/12 of them were put in charge of 8 games a week I think they'd own it a bit more. If they cock-up deluxe there is room to actually drop them rather than just a "demotion" to pocket ref. At the very least I guarantee greater consistency throughout a match and if there isn't you can pin it on 1 bloke rather than shirk back to "well ref 1 seen this but ref 2 seen that".

The game got to a point where NRL basically said it's too big of a job for 1 man, so we add another. Where do we go if the game descends to those levels again? A third ref?

some11

Referee
0IfypKj.png
lmao

Vee

First Grade
Come on guys it’s not the first time where refs changed their minds and it won’t be the last, it was wrong for the ref to rule six again what if the Raiders scored from it, the Roosters fans wouldn’t be happy about it..
I'm okay with that.

Mr Spock!

Referee
You and/or all the people who've been whinging about it for the past week make it seem as if it was some definitive decision. It wasn't, listen to the audio he asks "is it six again?" his assistant says "No, fifth and last".

He signalled six again dude.

The Easts fans whinging about their gifted premiership are still trying to justify referee incompetence.

Vee

First Grade
You and/or all the people who've been whinging about it for the past week make it seem as if it was some definitive decision. It wasn't, listen to the audio he asks "is it six again?" his assistant says "No, fifth and last".
When he waves and calls six again, it is definitive.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Can't wait to see next year when refs can change calls midplay.

Ref1: It's a knock on...

Ref2: No it isn't, play on.

mxlegend99

Referee
Regardless of how you feel about the referee correcting his call. The result was only Raiders missing out on 1 play... which they had already attempted to finish. So basically half a play which would most likely have been a rushed kick. No way to know what comes of the rushed kick obviously.

Compared to the occassions where they incorrectly rule on strips/lost balls which cost a team ~20+ metres and 6 plays, missed forward passes, foul play that goes unpunished, incorrectly awarded or disallowed tries etc. This mistake is far from the worst.

It was the correct decision made in the wrong way. I dont believe that's worse than the wrong decision being made and stuck with personally. Sadly they make mistakes every game.

I was going for the Raiders and hate both Cummins and the Roosters. IMO this was an improvement on Cummins usual form as a referee. I dont think anyone would care if the teams roles in this were reversed as we all hate the Roosters. I think that's the main reason people are carrying on about it being such a bad call too as we all wanted to see Roosters fail.