What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RU World Cup

skeepe

Immortal
Hahahaha. Penalty because the ball-carrier’s forearm - which made contact with the chest - slid up the body.

What a joke rugby is becoming.

tumbidragon

First Grade
RL is heading that way too
Agree. We saw two blokes sin-binned after 20 seconds into a Prelim because of f**king slapping... Fairdinkum!
Contact sports as a whole are being sanitised in order to placate the 'market' of mums who don't watch sport, in fear of their kids who don't play a contact sport...
It's only turning their actual fans away.

Dark Corner

Juniors
I reckon the likes the tier 2 nations fans and players alike would enjoy Rugby League and have more success then Union rules.

Just got back from a week in Tokyo. First things first, the city is absolutely buzzing with the World Cup in town, the facilities are (as expected) supurb. I've been before, but it always takes me a while to adapt to the publoic transport system that sees multiple companies running subway lines, as well as overground - but it is easy enough once you get your head around it. Spent my time between Roppangi, Shibuya, Shinjuku and the area we stayed in, and everyone is amped.

Met Tana Umaga in a pub - genuine good dude.

Watched a few games in and around Shibuya, and the Japanese/Samoan game was easily the highlight.

Went out to the stadium for the Nz/Namibia game, damn near a sell out and a tonne of fans supporting the ABs, and a few locals getting amongst the Namibian merch. Good game but an even better event, the Japanese have really arrivede as far as hosting these things are concerned. Hoepfully we get more Japanese/big nation rugby matches in the future - I'll definitely be popping over.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I hope SANZAR are already feeling stupid about cutting the Sunwolves now. Japan wouldn’t look out of place in the SH Rugby Championship right now, they’re currently a better side than Argentina.

The biggest issue with the Wolves, aside from the travel, was the fact that the best Japanese talent weren't interested in playing super rugby - they prefer their local comp.

The reality is Super Rugby should exist as a Champions League style 'best of the best' tournament, as opposed to a franchise system, in conjunction with local leagues. Curry Cup, NZ NPC, ARC, Japan Top Rugby all filtering through to Super Rugby。

shiznit

Coach
The biggest issue with the Wolves, aside from the travel, was the fact that the best Japanese talent weren't interested in playing super rugby - they prefer their local comp.

The reality is Super Rugby should exist as a Champions League style 'best of the best' tournament, as opposed to a franchise system, in conjunction with local leagues. Curry Cup, NZ NPC, ARC, Japan Top Rugby all filtering through to Super Rugby。
100% agree with that.

I rarely care about super rugby... but I’d be all over that shit if my beloved Taniwha qualified for it and played in it.

Yeah man. Super Rugby is a bit dated nowadays. It may also help offset the mass exodus that is occuring, if guys could earn better coin playing at home. Say, a twelve province league here in NZ, the top 4 of which qualify through to the champions league the following year, or it could be straight knock out at the end of the season. Wouldn't put to much pressure on the players as they are already playing a lot of games at Super level and have some crazy legs of travel to contend with.

For shits and gigs, who would your 12 teams be?

Northland
Harbour
Auckland
Counties
Waikato
Taranaki
Hawkes Bay
Bay of Plenty
Wellington
Tasman
Canterbury
Otago

???

shiznit

Coach
Yeah man. Super Rugby is a bit dated nowadays. It may also help offset the mass exodus that is occuring, if guys could earn better coin playing at home. Say, a twelve province league here in NZ, the top 4 of which qualify through to the champions league the following year, or it could be straight knock out at the end of the season. Wouldn't put to much pressure on the players as they are already playing a lot of games at Super level and have some crazy legs of travel to contend with.

For shits and gigs, who would your 12 teams be?

Northland
Harbour
Auckland
Counties
Waikato
Taranaki
Hawkes Bay
Bay of Plenty
Wellington
Tasman
Canterbury
Otago

???

You’d have to fit Southland in... Id be happy with a 14 team competition with Southland and Manawatu.

Last edited:

axl rose

Bench
Agree. We saw two blokes sin-binned after 20 seconds into a Prelim because of f**king slapping... Fairdinkum!
Contact sports as a whole are being sanitised in order to placate the 'market' of mums who don't watch sport, in fear of their kids who don't play a contact sport...
It's only turning their actual fans away.
All true.

Anyway the Japan Scotland game will go ahead.

ReddFelon

Juniors
Japanese Rugby may actually be the most exciting stylistic play I've seen. They're like an entire team of Rosko Specman.

shiznit

Coach
Interesting how they play... very instinctive... a lot like that highlanders team that won Super Rugby a few years ago...

Jamie Joseph and Tony Brown coached that team also...