What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issac Luke

Frank Facer

First Grade
I am not happy with the signing of Luke. I am not a fan of him as person. He is also past his best and injury prone. If I was coaching us, I would be starting the year off with Norman halfback and Hunt 5/8. If there was an injury to McInnes, I would be moving Hunt to hooker and giving Sailor a run at 5/8. That could even turn out to be a better halves hooker combination. We would certainly have more flair around the ruck and Sailor could develop into a good 5/8. I also think Norman would compliment Sailor too. Long term I would probably looking to move Hunt to hooker and be looking at young halves such as Sailor, Sullivan, Wishart or even Kyle Flannagan.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Not at all.

As per usual, you were making me...and more than likely other forum contributors...fall asleep.
Glad to hear I can help you there.. Althogh looking at the time of your post, perhaps you should just call me directly and I can sing you a lullaby..

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The issue in all of this is McInnes. It seems clear that his injury or injuries are more serious than 1st thought and may have some ongoing concerns.
Lovodua may he seen as the next hooker, but is he ready from the get go of season 2020?
Playing Hunt at hooker would also upset the balance of the team and would involve several shifts of players.

boardlumps62

Juniors
The issue in all of this is McInnes. It seems clear that his injury or injuries are more serious than 1st thought and may have some ongoing concerns.
Lovodua may he seen as the next hooker, but is he ready from the get go of season 2020?
Playing Hunt at hooker would also upset the balance of the team and would involve several shifts of players.
The team were performing a balancing act most of the season eventually they over balanced and slid over the ledge and went all the way to second last. There is no balance new halves centres wings and fullback need and now possibly were looking for another good hooker

Dorsai

Juniors
I would have thought 1 through 5 would have been more important in getting than a position we already have covered.

seriously, this is another stupid signing of past it players that McIdiot can trot out as excuses in 2020.

SEAT 1A

Bench
It's a bit strange to sign a hooker when Cam is a 80 minute player other than a back up so, Luke fits.

Cam can't keep making 50 odd tackles and don't see Luke fixing that.

possm

Coach
Mary handles recruitment Possm too..dont leave him out who he might want..
Ian does the numbers and negotiations
I would rate Luke more value at low money than Maranta who had not played NRL for 4 years...but just
Flies in the face of the reasons given to create Millward's job and Department. Millward reports directly to the CEO.

lynx000

Juniors
I'm all for having depth but before we hire backup hookers shouldn't we look for a fullback? A pair of new centres? A winger maybe?
Who is our fullback next year anyway?
Does anyone know? Are we back to Dufty? Again?
I think Darius Boyd fits the bill perfectly. Revisit the glory years of 2010, plus it maintains the recent history of signing Broncos that we don't want.

nontime111

Juniors
Heard that Jack Wighton wants to test the market? should we throw everything we have left at him :thinking:
YES!! what a player JUST what we need!!

Halves combo of Wighton and Hunt piss the man with the cleanest pristine jersey off, Norman...never puts in...never gets out of first or 2nd gear, too cool for me and
so lazy over him Wightons who we need....imagine a SULLIVAN. WIGHTON halves combo for years to come, thank you very much...

ghostface

Juniors
Wighton would get crucified around these parts. His good for an error or two and for some fans that would be unacceptable.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So lets run through this scenario:

McInnes cannot start the season due to injury or is injured during the season. Who plays hooker?
Lets move Hunt there.
Who plays in the halves, either 7 or 5/8 with Norman?
Our incumbent fullback (barring the last game against the Titans was Sailor), so, Sailor is an option, but is inexperienced at NRL level in that position. Another option is Clune, but he has no NRL experience and would need to be elevated to an NRL contract.
Lets go with Sailor.
Now, who plays fullback?
Lomax, who is an incumbent winger can play there.
Now we have a plethora of wingers who can play in this role.

If we run with this option our spine would consist of:
A fullback with 1 or 2 games experience in that position.
A half or 5/8 with no experience in that position at NRL level, or a complete rookie.
A hooker who is supposed to be our premier half, and doubtfull if he could sustain the role on a continuing basis (yes he plays there in SOO, but those games are spread out).
Our only experienced half is Norman.

So, the only feasable solution is signing an experienced hooker to slot right in, without upsetting any of the spine.
Sailor satays as fullback, Norman anx Hunt remain our experienced halves combo, and Luke, who is experienced at NRL and International level.
One final point on Hunt, in the recent PM's IX game, Hunt, playing hooker made 17 tackles and missed 3 against Fiji.

If Luke isn't the answer, maybe we should have opted for Kurt Baptiste!!!!

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
I think Darius Boyd fits the bill perfectly. Revisit the glory years of 2010, plus it maintains the recent history of signing Broncos that we don't want.
2010 is a long time ago lynx. I doubt Darius is going anywhere other than the bank when he gets paid out by Broncos and sails off into the sunset.