What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
ravalawam_2nh_2607.jpg

REPRESENTATIVE

Six more Dragons named for World Cup Nines
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Thu 10 Oct 2019, 07:03 PM

St George Illawarra's representation at the World Cup Nines grew by six on Thursday following the final confirmation of all World Cup Nines squads.

Dragons centre Tim Lafai and back-rower Luciano Leilua will represent Toa Samoa at the two-day tournament at Bankwest Stadium, Parramatta on October 18 and 19.

Pooled in Group C, the Samoan Dragons will face teammates in winger Mikaele Ravalawa and centre Steven Marsters, who were picked in Fiji and Cook Islands' squads respectively.

Dragons Women's Premiership forward Teuila Fotu-Moala will make her return from suspension at the World Cup Nines after being named for the New Zealand Kiwi Ferns.

Jersey Flegg forward Jalal Bazzaz was also named in Lebanon's Nines squad, who will come up against England, France and Wales in Group B.

The addition of six Dragons at the World Cup Nines follows Monday's announcement of the Australian and England squads. 18 Dragons will feature overall next weekend.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/10/six-more-dragons-named-for-world-cup-nines/

getsmarty

Immortal
medal_ford_lawrie.jpg

DRAGONS

Young Dragons duo reflect on Dragons awards
Author
Timestamp
Thu 10 Oct 2019, 05:44 PM

Young Dragons duo Blake Lawrie and Jackson Ford enjoyed a memorable night at the 2019 Dragons Medal presentation, both taking home some silverware after impressing throughout the season.

Lawrie was presented with the Dragons' Immortals trophy, an award selected by the coaching staff in consideration with the Immortals criteria of demonstrating outstanding commitment and dedication in all aspects of rugby league.

After working his way through the Dragons' devolvement pathway and into the first grade squad, the hardworking prop made the most of all of his opportunities in 2019. Lawrie was one of the Dragons' most reliable forwards racking up 614 post-contact metres, 775 tackles, and 2,204 total running metres.

"I'm very honoured to receive such a great award for this very proud and great club," Lawrie said.

"I took something out of each and every game this year, so I’ll be looking to do that again next year and become more a dominant impact player throughout the next year."

Blake Lawrie joins elite company by winning the 2019 Immortals Trophy

It will be hard for local junior Jackson Ford to forget 2019 after realising his childhood dream of playing in the NRL with the Dragons.

The 21-year-old received the perfect finish to his breakout season, winning the 2019 Canterbury Cup Player of the Year.

Ford scored the eighth most tries in the Canterbury Cup this season (13), including an incredible four-try haul against eventual grand finalists, the Wentworthville Magpies.

In Round 21, Ford was rewarded his debut NRL jersey in a victory against the Gold Coast Titans, before picking up his first NRL try the following game against the Cronulla Sharks.

"It's been an unreal season for me, probably the best season in my career," Ford said. "The debut was a massive moment for me. It was just an unreal experience and hopefully there's a few more NRL games for me."

Jackson Ford named Canterbury Cup's best in 2019

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/10/young-dragons-duo-reflect-on-dragons-awards/

getsmarty

Immortal
mcinnes_sergis.jpg

DRAGONS

Players of the Year reflect on 2019
Author
Timestamp
Thu 10 Oct 2019, 05:30 PM

Dragons hooker Cameron McInnes and NRLW outside back Jessica Sergis took centre stage at the Dragons Medal night on Tuesday, taking home the highest honour in the men's and women's categories respectively.

McInnes was the front-runner for the prestigious Dragons medal, following a standout season from the 25-year-old hooker.

McInnes was one of the league's top tacklers (1,036 tackles) at an outstanding efficiency of 93.5 per cent (41 misses). McInnes also forced the most dropouts of his career (five) and averaged the most running metres of his career (62.8 metres), all while missing the last three matches due to injury.

"A lot of great players have won this award before me, so it’s definitely an honour I’ll always remember," McInnes said.

McInnes' Dragons Medal win – along with being named the Red V Members Player of the Year and Geoff Selby Memorial Award – means he has now won all performance- based awards at the Dragons within his first three seasons at the club.

"It's a testament to the support I've had at this club," McInnes said.

"Having Mary (Dragons coach Paul McGregor), the coaching staff we have here and all the players, I’ve enjoyed my three years immensely. I have two more years left on my contract and hopefully more to come after that."

Cameron McInnes proud to win 2019 Dragons Medal

After Sergis claimed the highest individual women's honour at the Dally Ms last week, it came to no-one's surprise the rising star also won the Dragons' Female Player of the Year.

Sergis becomes the second-ever player to receive the award in a week where she was also named to make her long-awaited Jillaroos debut. Sergis produced three tries, 21 tackle breaks and 527 total running metres in four games this year.

"It's been such an awesome season," Sergis said. "I'm obviously ticking all my goals and all those boxes, so to receive this trophy tonight, it really means a lot."

Jessica Sergis wins Dragons female player of the year

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/10/players-of-the-year-reflect-on-2019/

getsmarty

Immortal
nrlw-playerschampion_20191011.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

Who will be the first NRLW Players Champion?
Author
Margie McDonald Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 11 Oct 2019, 02:18 PM
mcdonaldmargie-head.png

Two locks, a half, a centre and a fullback make up the five finalists for the NRLW Players' Champion award to be announced at the RLPA's end-of-season dinner.

Georgia Hale (Warriors), Charntay Poko (Warriors), Rona Peters (Broncos), Jess Sergis (Dragons) and Botille Vette-Welsh (Dragons) were voted into the top five by their peers on a 3-2-1 basis after the conclusion of the regular season. It's the same system that's used for the men's Players' Champion award.

The first captain of the NSW state women's team and a former Jillaroos captain, Tarsha Gale, will present the award on Monday night in Sydney.

Previously, the RLPA recognised its female membership at the event through an Elite Female Player of the Year award. But this was mainly based on representative fixtures, which mostly fall outside the regular club competition.

NRLW Players' Champion finalists announced

It has been changed to a NRLW Players' Champion award and Gale said the standard of season two of the NRLW in 2019 demanded the overall honour.

"The players all adopted the mantra of fitter, faster, stronger as all four teams looked exactly that," Gale said of the Broncos, Warriors, Roosters and Dragons who make up the NRLW competition at present.

"Their quicker play-the-balls, execution of set plays, the hit-ups ... everything was better and more intense.

"Each week the girls improved and that's not just based on individual talent but the fact they were gelling with their teammates," Gale said.

haleg-1gp_5102.jpg

Warriors captain Georgia Hale. :copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
"So if they do extend the competition to 35-minute halves, or perhaps add a couple more rounds, then that will give the girls longer time to play together and produce an even higher quality of football, which we all know they're capable of.

"They don't need to add a team just yet to do that."

As for the five finalists nominated (in alphabetical order below), Gale reserved praise for each.

Georgia Hale (Warriors)
"She's incredible and one of those captains who really leads by example on the field. She led the tackle count in most games.

"Her preferred position I think is in the halves but she took on the lock position. She's like the Swiss army knife of NRLW. She can be your leader, your lock, your playmaker, your inspiration.

"In other words, Georgia can get into any position and fix it.

"And what she does off the field with her work with intellectually and physically-disabled players, and getting them on the field, has been outstanding. She's the whole package."

petersr_2nh_9007.jpg

Broncos forward Rona Peters. :copyright:Nathan Hopkins/NRL Photos
Rona Peters (Broncos)
"She's amazing. She makes an average [of] eight hit-ups a game and scored two tries in four games.

"Anywhere close to the line and you look for her. She's the battering ram - just keeps getting up and going again. She's been invaluable like that for the Broncos.

"I picked her for the tackle of the round [Broncos v Warriors, round three] and it was against her little sister Hilda Mariu [nee Peters]. It just shows that club is thicker than blood on the field.

"Rona is wonderful how she leads the Broncos forwards around."

Charntay Poko (Warriors)
"She was absolutely fabulous. Injury problems prevented her from playing last year but she made her presence felt this year.

"She was probably [coach] Luisa Avaiki's secret weapon this year, but I don't think Charntay knew herself how good she is in the way she controls games.

"Her boot is incredible with her 40-30s and forced dropouts [four]. After the round one performance against the Roosters everyone was going 'Who the hell was that?'

sergisj-1gp_6605.jpg

NRLW Dragons centre Jessica Sergis. :copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
Jess Sergis (Dragons)
"She's already been named the Dally M and Dragons women's player of the year to give you some idea of her quality.

"Jess is always competitive. She goes into every hit-up or tackle as if it's her last on a rugby league field.

"Her strip on one of the best players in the game in Isabelle Kelly in the round three win over the Roosters was another measure of her competitiveness."

Botille Vette-Welsh (Dragons)
"Botille made 16 tackle-breaks in her four matches and ran an average 135 metres per game.

"She's one who went from each round better and better. She is only a slight-build but boy she can get through some tackles.

"She's dangerous with the ball in hand like all good fullbacks."

Under the rules, every NRLW player is eligible to vote and be nominated for if they feature in at least one match for their club. A player cannot vote for another player at the same club.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/11/who-will-be-the-first-nrlw-players-champion/

getsmarty

Immortal

MATCH REPORT

Frizell and Hunt star as the Australian PM's XIII romp Fiji counterparts
Author
Alicia Newton NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 11 Oct 2019, 08:20 PM
newtonalicia-head.png

Parramatta fullback Clint Gutherson has warmed up to the World 9s next week in style with three tries as the Australian Prime Minister's XIII romped to a 52-10 victory over an inexperienced Fijian outfit in Suva on Friday night.

Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga rotated big guns Wade Graham, Ben Hunt and Tyson Frizell ahead of their busy international schedule that includes the World 9s campaign starting next week.

But it was Gutherson who stood out with a treble and two try assists in front of a modest and disappointing crowd of roughly 3000 in attendance at ANZ National Stadium.

"We've enjoyed it and the physicality of the game was good and is something we needed leading into some major events and to blow the cobwebs out," Meninga said.

"A 40- or 50-point win isn't something you want but it's really important we play these sort of games and engage people. We've got some fantastic Fijian players in the NRL that unfortunately didn't play tonight but these locals have dreams to play at a higher level and the only way they'll be able to do that is against the best."

Feldt bulldozes over for PM XIII's first

The Aussies took just 45 seconds to get on the board via Kyle Feldt and despite Fiji's best efforts they were no match without the likes of NRL stars Viliame Kikau, Suliasi Vunivalu and Parramatta sensation Maika Sivo.

Tries to Payne Haas and Campbell Graham in short fashion extended the lead to 14-0 for Meninga's men but the Bati outfit got a breakthrough just before the quarter time break to go over in the corner via Ropate Tobe.

Gutherson and Mitchell Moses combined for Australia's next two tries as the visitors went further ahead and cruise to a 26-4 half-time lead.

Fifita's barnstorming long-range effort

Gutherson sent Feldt over for a double after the break before crossing for his third following a Reuben Garrick bust on the left edge.

The Fijians burrowed their way over for their second through hooker Apimeleki Lutu as Meninga continued to rotate his extended squad.

Tries to Wests Tigers centre Paul Momirovski and Sea Eagles flyer Reuben Garrick pushed the side further ahead, before Broncos prop David Fifita scored with a 60-metre run to the dive over in the corner and Cody Walker capped off the night with a try in the final minute.

Moses slices through to put Gutherson over

Earlier, the PM's XIII side were presented their jerseys by Australian Prime Minster Scott Morrison, who was in attendance for the clash and bringing with him an entourage of political media interest.

Morrison ran the drinks midway through the second half as part of his visit to strengthen Australia's relationships with the Fijian government and community.

Match: Fiji PM XIII v AUS PM XIII

Round 2 - Friday 11th October

Full Time

Home Team

Fiji PM XIII

Scored 10 points

Away Team

AUS PM XIII

Scored 52 points

Venue: ANZ National Stadium, Suva

Match broadcasters:

• Foxtel
"To back up [from the NRL season] and be part of this, every time you put on the green and gold is a great credit to you and a great honour to do," Morrison told the Australian players before kick-off.

"Here you're doing it not just as great rugby league players and great professionals in sport, but you're doing it as an important cause for our country. Our relationship with the Pacific is so important."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...e-australian-pms-xiii-romp-fiji-counterparts/

getsmarty

Immortal
huntb_2nh_2357.jpg

REPRESENTATIVE

Dragon under fire: Hunt grateful to make all three Australian squads
Author
Alicia Newton NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Thu 10 Oct 2019, 05:25 PM
newtonalicia-head.png

Ben Hunt feared his spot in the Australian team was in doubt following St George Illawarra's rocky 2019 season but Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga had other ideas.

Along with Wade Graham and Tyson Frizell, he is one of three players set to play in every upcoming fixture on the Australian international calendar including the World Cup Nines next week.

The 29-year-old was close to the Maroons' best player during the State of Origin series this season but his efforts at the Dragons came under fire throughout the year as the side slumped to 15th spot on the ladder.

His selection for the upcoming Tests against New Zealand and Tonga created further uproar online - a tale Hunt has unfortunately known all too well throughout his career.

"I haven't had the greatest year but for Mal to pick me in these sides over the next month I'm grateful," Hunt told NRL.com following the PM's XIII captain's run on Thursday.

"I am disappointed with how the season at the Dragons played out but was happy with how the Origin series went.

Graham gives go-ahead on young guns

"We still didn't win obviously but I thought I did my best and that's why I think Mal picked me. Playing dummy-half is a lot simpler role, you're basically just passing and tackling with a couple of runs every now and then.

"I'm thankful that he's still got some faith in me to play."

A visit to Ratu Felise Memorial School near Suva on Wednesday and celebrating Fiji Day with a signings session on Thursday puts a difficult year into perspective for Hunt.

"You get hammered about every little thing you do back home," he said.

"There is a lot of perspective visiting young kids in Fiji, it's kind of like going home after a loss and seeing your own kids. They don't know any different they're still excited to see you.

"We're also here to spread the word around violence against women and children and I think that has been a powerful message to send."

The Dragons are nearing completion of their end-of-season review after a disastrous Telstra Premiership campaign, their worst season on record since becoming a joint venture in 1999.

Hunt said departing captain Gareth Widdop's long-term shoulder injury and the standing down of Jack de Belin under the NRL's no fault stand-down policy were significant moments in their season.

"I believe we can get back on track," Hunt said.

"We just need to work on our game a bit harder and change a few things around with our defensive structures.

"There's no doubting we've got the players to do it and a mix of young kids coming through.

"It's been a difficult year but we're determined to turn things around."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/10...grateful-to-make-all-three-australian-squads/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragon bagged 'because of the size of his wage': Meninga
Christian Nicolussi
October 10, 2019 — 7.00pm
  • Send via Email
Suva: Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga spoke for thousands of rugby league fans when he said the criticism levelled at Ben Hunt was often driven ''because of the size of his wage".

Even his own St George Illawarra fans have often found it easy to turn on their $6 million man, but Hunt remains a must with Meninga when it comes to wearing the green and gold at the end of the season.

c10b3364293ebc2c6806e1d098f6a7024883d34b

Ben Hunt faces plenty of criticism, but has a fan in the Australian coach.Credit:Getty

Hunt himself said he was disappointed with his finish to the NRL season and would learn how to cope with the post-Origin period better if given the chance to play for Queensland again.

Meninga has always admired Hunt for his on-field ability and how he copes with the intense scrutiny of his game.

Hunt is expected to start at hooker - Reed Mahoney is also in the squad - and possibly spend time in the halves on Friday night when the Prime Minister's XIII take on Fiji.

Hunt will play for the PM's XIII and then for the Kangaroos in their two Tests against New Zealand and Tonga. While Damien Cook will wear the No. 9, and Daly Cherry-Evans will be joined by either Luke Keary or Cameron Munster in the halves, Hunt offers so much in the No. 14.

"I'm a big fan of Benny, in the bigger games he played No. 9 for Queensland this year and was exceptionally good, and I firmly believe he's our best No. 2 hooker who can also play No. 6, No. 7, even No. 13 - he adds great versatility to your bench," Meninga told the Herald.

"That's why Queensland keep picking him, that's why I keep picking him.

"He's just great to be around, he's a great leader, he's a senior player and very willing with his time with the juniors as well.

"He plays in an important position for the Dragons, he did for the Broncos, but the No. 7 is only as good as his footy team."

Hunt came under fire for dropping a kick in the loss to the New Zealand Warriors during Magic Round - it evoked memories of his infamous grand final bobble in 2015 - and then hounded for being rested after the Origin series when the Dragons desperately needed all hands on deck for the run to the finals.

208aaabdecb2d9c6db62c3c77bd193c798311790

Meninga says there's a reason Hunt keeps getting picked for Queensland.Credit:AAP

"My back end of the season was pretty ordinary," Hunt said.

"I feel down about it to be honest. I need to find a way to change that coming out of Origin. If I play that next year I need to come back and go to another level rather than step back.

"I wish I knew the answer. It's about getting back to working hard, trying to change a few things in our game plan and doing more preparation. That's all I can do."

cef0231bfe00e905c1703e4245ed3d1fa58b5ba8

Hunt is hoping to make a good impression in Fiji.

Hunt said he had learned to cope with the negative comments that often followed him and acknowledged being one of the best-paid players in the NRL made him an easy target.

"It comes with the territory and you have to understand you take that on when you get a decent pay packet," Hunt said.

"Especially being a half, if you win the game you usually get the raps, but if you lose you'll cop it as well. You have to take the good with the bad.

''I've learned to handle it and while I don't enjoy it, it's good in a way because it can take the heat off my team if we're not going well.

"There have been several years now I've had to learn how to do that, I've had some highs but definitely some lows. You cop it at those times and work out different ways to handle it and only listen to people you trust."

As for a parting message for the Red V faithful and why they should be optimistic about 2020, Hunt said: "We've got a quality roster, you look at blokes in our team, there are plenty of representative players and young guys on the cusp.

"We'll change a few things in the pre-season and work out a plan going forward. We've still the got team and players to do it."

Christian Nicolussi was a guest of the NRL for the Prime Minister's XIII in Fiji.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/dr...size-of-his-wage-meninga-20191010-p52zfm.html

getsmarty

Immortal
sullivanj-1gp_2475.jpg

DRAGONS

From Steeler to Dragon to Cockatoo: Jayden's giant year
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 12 Oct 2019, 08:01 AM

You only need to briefly watch Jayden Sullivan's SG Ball highlights to realise the diminutive halfback is blessed with a rare mix of speed, electric footwork, playmaking vision and laser-like kicking.

So highly rated is 18-year-old Sullivan that St George Illawarra have signed him until 2022.

And it's not just kids his age that Sullivan is dominating.

After leading the Illawarra Steelers to the SG Ball title this year, he handled the early step to the joint-venture club's Jersey Flegg under-20s side.

He was also a key cog in the South Coast Black Cockatoos side that won the men's Koori Knockout at Tuggerah on Monday despite his slender frame.

Sullivan's silky skills were evident over the four-day tournament but the way he bounced up after several questionable tackles was most impressive.

"I just like to play footy, really. The Knockout's tough - last year I had 12 stitches in my head," Sullivan told NRL.com.

With star five-eighth Gareth Widdop departing the Dragons, Sullivan is another halves option for coach Paul McGregor to consider alongside Ben Hunt and Corey Norman.

Parramatta rookie Dylan Brown, who debuted at 18, proved in 2019 that age is irrelevant if you're equipped to handle the top flight.

Fifita devastated over Knockout loss to South Coast

"[Making my NRL debut next year] is definitely a big goal of mine," Sullivan said.

"I want to give back to my dad [Jason]. My father is all I've really had."

Sullivan played with his old man at the Knockout, making memories that will no doubt be cherished forever.

"I love playing with my mob, the south coast boys. It's good to give back to the family," Sullivan said.

One man who understands the weight of expectation at the Dragons is forgotten hooker Craig Garvey, who was hyped as a future gun as he came through the ranks in the Red V.

The 26-year-old represented South Coast with Sullivan over the long weekend and noted the improvement in his game.

"He's a lot calmer this year, he's a bit bigger. I know they've got big raps on him at the Dragons," Garvey said.

"He's a big star - just got to let him grow into it and not let him get ahead of himself."

sullivanj-2gp_1791.jpg

Jayden Sullivan on the move for the Dragons in Jersey Flegg. :copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
Following on from the Koori Knockout success, Sullivan will soon be tearing into his first proper NRL pre-season.

Already being familiar with the squad will help his transition, having started training with the NRL players late this season.

"All the boys [are friendly]. My first day I went in there they were just all open arms," Sullivan said.

"Every single one of them came and talked to me."

Such was the whirlwind nature of his 2019 season that Sullivan joked that he'd almost forgotten taking out the SG Ball premiership in May.

"There's so much footy, I haven't stopped," he said.

"SG Ball was probably the highlight of my career so far. To get to captain it, even better."

Dragons fans will certainly hope Sullivan can bring his winning touch to the NRL level.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/12/from-steeler-to-dragon-to-cockatoo-jaydens-giant-year/

getsmarty

Immortal
Nine players to watch at the World Cup 9s
Author
Chris Kennedy NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 12 Oct 2019, 04:01 PM
kennedychris-head.png

For the first time in more than 20 years, rugby league nines will pit nation against nation as the best in the world descend on western Sydney. NRL.com has picked out nine players to watch when action kicks off on October 18.

Australia – Mitch Moses
Take your pick. Plenty of punters are salivating at the thought of fleet-footed Knights star Kalyn Ponga in open space. Others can't wait to see what Broncos wrecking ball David Fifita can do against a reduced defensive line. Storm speedster Ryan Papenhuyzen can barely be stopped by 13 men and livewire Bunny Cody Walker is capable of anything. We've opted for in-from Eels half Mitch Moses, whose attack-first mindset bolstered by the full arsenal of attacking skills could light up Bankwest Stadium next weekend. Moses topped the NRL for try assists this year with 25 in 26 games, has one of the best short and long kicking games going, is one of the best running halves in the tournament and has a bullet cut-out pass that should cause havoc.

New Zealand – Shaun Johnson
Again there are a host of stars to choose from but how can you go past Sharks star Shaun Johnson? The decorated Kiwi playmaker ran amok at the Auckland Nines every time he suited up for the Warriors with his huge goose step and towering boot bringing the Auckland crowd to its feet whenever he touched the ball. Johnson knows what the Nines is all about and that alone makes him a huge threat.

England – Gareth Widdop
One big plus of this tournament is the overseas talent it will bring to Australian shores. Leeds flyer Ash Handley has scored a bag of tries this year while Aussie fans may remember Jermaine McGillvary being near unstoppable in the 2017 World Cup. For a familiar face though look no further than recently departed Dragons skipper Gareth Widdop. Competent in the halves or at fullback with a damaging running game and well-rounded arsenal of passes and kicks plus a wealth of leadership qualities, Widdop will be pulling the strings for England in this tournament alongside Raiders-bound playmaker George Williams.

Tonga – Tevita Pangai jnr
Tonga's strength remains their forward pack, even in the reduced format, and big men like Andrew Fifita and Jason Taumalolo will be just as hard to handle as in 13-a-side. But young Bronco Tevita Pangai jnr shapes as the total package for Nines footy – capable of playing edge or middle with some serious ball-playing and offloading skill. If Pangai winds up on an edge and gets those arms free when he runs the ball, the Tongan outside men could have a field day.

Pangai produces the pass of the season to set up Turpin

Samoa – Luciano Leilua
One thing that became apparent through the years the Auckland Nines was running is that it wasn't just the fleet-footed backs that were important – a player that could run and tackle like a forward but with some passing and offloading ability was almost more valuable.

Toa Samoa's Leilua brothers are both X-factor players and their captain believes the younger of the two will be a major strike weapon.

"The one I'm excited to see is not so much but what our backs can do but our second rowers and the bigger guys, seeing them in open space. I think you'll see a lot of free flowing footy and a lot of throwing the ball around," Samoa skipper Anthony Miford told NRL.com.

"One guy I'm looking forward to seeing if he does make the team is Luciano [Leilua], he's real skilful with the ball and he's got real silky hands as well."

Leilua slams it down to help get his team level

Papua New Guinea – Justin Olam
PNG have an interesting team with some talented players and a clear focus on hard running. Former Bulldog Rhyse Martin and young Roosters flyer Bernard Lewis (who is yet to make his NRL debut but lit up the Auckland Nines two years ago) will definitely be ones to watch. But for an in-form NRL star, the Kumuls will be leaning heavily on breakout Storm centre Justin Olam. Olam started the season behind stars Will Chambers and Curtis Scott and finished it top of the centre pecking order at Melbourne with his tough carries and reliable defence a huge asset in their minor premiership run.

Olam turns provider for Addo-Carr

Fiji – Maika Sivo
A league-topping 22 tries in 25 games tells only a small part of the story. Sivo was a revelation for the Eels this season, like a freight train winding up on the left flank with one of the most devastating fends in the NRL. Talented footy players growing up in Fiji get plenty of exposure to the rugby sevens style of footy and a ball runner this hard to bring down will be a huge threat in the reduced format.

USA – Ronaldo Mulitalo
Young Sharks winger Mulitalo made massive strides in his debut NRL season at Cronulla and in a squad short on NRL experience he will be a key man. The 6'2" flyer had a tough outing in his round seven debut and wasn't sighted again until round 18 but made every post a winner from that point with five tries and four wins in his final six games. Toronto Wolfpack forward Joe Eichner had another couple of names to watch when he spoke at the Nines launch in Sydney recently, nominating a pair of former Eels lower-graders.

"Bureta Faraimo is an absolute gun and has been killing it in Super League this year, so he'll be a really exciting one to watch," Eichner said.

"Ryan Burroughs is another, a domestic-born American who's a really exciting player. He's really quick on his feet. Both those guys you should keep your eyes on."

Mulitalo gets over for his first NRL try

Cook Islands – Alex Glenn
While it's a bit of a shame the likes of Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad and Esan Marsters won't be involved, the Kukis still have some quality players running around, not least Brisbane forward Alex Glenn. Glenn had an underrated season at the up-and-down Broncos, playing well in the forwards and filling in in the backs when asked. His leadership and experience will be as important as his on-field contributions.

"The thing with Nines, it's not very structured so you can't really train too much for it," Glenn told NRL.com.

"It's pretty much go out there, throw the ball around and see what you can do. There's going to be a lot of individual talent out there as well as team efforts, it's going to be amazing for our style of play.

"We have a lot of footwork, a lot of speed and explosiveness which will really suit Pacific Nations football."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/12/nine-players-to-watch-at-the-world-cup-9s/

getsmarty

Immortal
LUKE NEARS NEW DEAL

Warriors hooker Issac Luke is set to be thrown a lifeline by St George Illawarra.

The Sunday Telegraph claims the Dragons will propose Luke a one-year deal.

With Reece Robson heading to the North Queensland Cowboys, the Dragons need a No. 9 to support Cameron McInnes who continues to recover from a broken leg.

McInnes suffered a syndesmosis injury along with a broken fibula fracture towards the back end of the Dragons’ disastrous 2019 season.

271-game NRL veteran Luke, 32, has previously been linked with Manly and Wests Tigers.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/trans...t/news-story/095ec9c9e67b87ad8d7c87ec5680919b

getsmarty

Immortal
huntb_1nh_0576.jpg

NINES

The five big matches at the World Cup 9s
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sun 13 Oct 2019, 02:40 PM
walterbrad-head.png

It’s been dubbed the Pacific Pool but it could just as well be the Pool of Death.

Pool C, featuring Samoa and Tonga, Fiji and Cook Islands, is set to be the most hotly contested men's pool of the World Cup 9s with every match having an impact on which nation qualifies for the semi-finals.

Samoa and Tonga share one of the game's greatest international rivalries, Fiji has made it to the semi-finals of the past three World Cups and Cook Islands are on the verge of winning a berth at the 2021 tournament.

With no quarter-final stage at the inaugural World Cup Nines, every match is going to have a bearing on which teams make it through to the semi-finals of the 12-nation men's tournament, while the top two sides from the women’s pool will meet again in the final.

Five key matches at the World Cup 9s
Australia v New Zealand, Pool A, Friday 9pm
The Kangaroos and Kiwis have selected star studded line-ups, with powerful forwards and speed to burn outwide.

For Australia, the likes of Cody Walker, Mitchell Moses, Kalyn Ponga, Josh Addo-Carr and Ryan Papenhuyzen should revel with the extra space in Nines, while Wade Graham, David Fifita, Jai Arrow and Tyson Frizell will be hard for the New Zealand defence to contain.

The Kiwis have just as much attacking flair through Shaun Johnson, Kodi Nikorima, Dylan Brown, Charnze Nichol-Klokstad and Ken Maumalo.

World Cup 9s Player Focus: Elliott Whitehead

Tonga v Fiji, Pool C, Saturday 1.10pm
Both Tonga and Fiji qualified for the 2017 World Cup semi-finals and this match could decide which of the island nations repeats that feat here.

Fiji have an impressive squad led by Kevin Naiqama and featuring the likes of Suliasi Vunivalu, Maika Sivo, Villiam Kikau and Apisau Koroisau, who should all be suited to the Nines format.

However, it is likely to be a case of Fiji’s backs versus Tonga's powerhouse forward pack, which includes Jason Taumalolo, Andrew Fifita, Joe Ofahengaue and Tevita Pangai jnr.

England v France, Pool B, Saturday 3.25pm
England are likely to be aiming to secure a semi-final berth by beating France but les Chanticleers will have other ideas.

Led by former Sydney Roosters forward Jason Baiteri, the French side features five Catalans players and another five from Toulouse, as well as Hakim Miloudi, who helped Toronto Wolfpack win promotion to Super League last week.

England will feature NRL stars James Graham, Gareth Widdop, Tom Burgess and Elliott Whitehead, as well as former Canberra playmaker Blake Austin and Raiders-bound halfback George Williams.

How the inaugural Rugby League World Cup 9s will work

Tonga v Samoa, Pool C, Saturday 4.25pm
This one never fails. Samoa and Tonga clashes have a passion like few other games and both teams will be desperate to win this match as it could decide which side finishes top of the pool.

Samoa have named a strong squad, with Samoa boasting the likes of Joey and Luciano Leilua, Danny Levi, Jarome Luai and Jorge Taufua, whole Tonga are a mixture of experience and youth.

Tonga forwards Jason Taumalolo, Andrew Fifita, Joe Ofahengaue and Tevita Pangai jnr should revel in a nine-a-side game, while John Asiata is set to become one of the biggest playmakers at the Nines.

McGregor back in green and gold for World Cup Nines

New Zealand v England, Women’s Pool, Saturday 6.05pm
With the top two women's teams advancing to the final, this game is expected to decide one of those spots.

New Zealand will be buoyed by the return of Honey Hireme, who missed the Warriors NRLW campaign to care for her late mother, while St George Illawarra forward Tueila Fotu-Moala will be champing at the bit after being suspended for the final three matches for a crusher tackle in the opening round.

England have been building since the 2017 World Cup after the introduction of a Super League competition and their squad includes Castleford and Leeds players who featured in Saturday’s grand final.

For ticket and travel packages for the Downer Rugby League World Cup 9s Sydney 2019, head to nrl.com/tickets.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/14/the-five-big-matches-at-the-world-cup-9s/

getsmarty

Immortal
NINES

World Cup Nines 2019: All you need to know
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Sun 13 Oct 2019, 09:52 AM

Nines rugby league will take centre stage at Bankwest Stadium with 12 national teams to contest the men's Downer Rugby League World Cup 9s Sydney 2019 and four to compete in the women's event.

Wade Graham will captain Australia, who will be tournament favourites but the unpredictable nature of the Nines arena means they will face strong opposition on several fronts.

New Zealand and England have each named strong squads while the likes of Tonga, Fiji, Papua New Guinea and Samoa will be dangerous in the men's tournament.

PNG will join Australia, New Zealand and England in the field for the women's competition.

World Nines
Who will win the men's trophy at Bankwest Stadium?

World Nines Who will win the men's trophy at Bankwest Stadium?
  • Australia
    0%
  • New Zealand
    0%
  • Papua New Guinea
    0%
  • USA
    0%
  • England
    0%
  • France
    0%
  • Lebanon
    0%
  • Wales
    0%
  • Tonga
    0%
  • Samoa
    0%
  • Fiji
    0%
  • Cook Islands
    0%
Downer World Cup Nines – Sydney
Where: Bankwest Stadium

When: October 18-19

Where you can watch it in Australia: Fox Sports

Ticket information: NRL Tickets

World Nines
Who will win the women's trophy at Bankwest Stadium?

World Nines Who will win the women's trophy at Bankwest Stadium?
  • Australia
    0%
  • England
    0%
  • New Zealand
    0%
  • Papua New Guinea
    0%
For ticket and travel packages for the Downer Rugby League World Cup 9s Sydney 2019, head to nrl.com/tickets.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/14/world-cup-nines-2019-all-you-need-to-know/

getsmarty

Immortal
WIN Stadium Test a surreal feeling for Davis
Dragons Den
r0_0_3500_2333_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

HOME TURF: Keeley Davis says playing for the Jillaroos at WIN stadium will be a "surreal" feeling. Picture: Anna Warr

THE last time the Jillaroos came to town, Keeley Davis was still a student at Holy Spirit College - and somewhat in awe of visiting stars Ruan Sims and Simaima Taufa.

That was in 2017, three years after she sat on the WIN Stadium hill and watched the Jillaroos take on a Kiwi-Ferns side featuring the likes Honey Hireme and Teuila Fotu-Moala.

She's now played with and against all four giants of women's league. It's a reality that really hits home as she prepares to return to WIN Stadium on October 25 - this time on the other side of the fence.

"Two years ago Ruan Sims and Simaima Taufa came to my high school and gave a talk during their [2017] World Cup prep," Davis recalls.

"It's something I remember very vividly. I've played with them and against them so it's pretty surreal. [The Test] here was the first time I saw Teuila play and the hits were just huge.

"It's going to be a pretty surreal feeling getting to play at my home ground. Going in last year for my [Test] debut I was so nervous and I didn't really take the experience in.

"Looking back there's a lot of regrets about the nerves and not letting it sink in. I'm looking forward to going in a lot more confident and enjoying the experience a lot more.

"I think I'm definitely in a heaps better place in my footy career in terms of confidence so I'm really excited to play a Test in Wollongong."

The regrets may have come in hindsight, but facing the Kiwi Ferns in New Zealand meant the nerves were warranted for the then 18-year-old.

"I was on the bench for the first 20 minutes and I was expecting the pace to drop off but the pace of the game was just frantic the whole time," she said.

"When I got on for the last 10 minutes of the first half they were still going 100 per cent. I looked at the clock and I'd been on for two minutes, I thought I'd been on for 20.

"The pace and tightness of the game... everything was up a notch. It was crazy."

The 2018 whirlwind was pulled up somewhat by a second serious elbow injury earlier this year. It kept her out of Origin reckoning and the Corrimal product admits she feared the road back to a Jillaroos jumper could be a long one.

"After I got my injury this year and missed out on Origin and was [number] 14 for Country I was a bit concerned," she said.

"I think before that injury I was as fit as I've ever been. I'd worked really, really hard so I knew if I kept doing that there was no way I'd come back be a worse player than I was last year.

"It's been pretty up and down the last few days after the [NRLW] grand final but seeing the news I was very, very excited and very grateful to be selected again."

It's the icing on the cake after another solid season - that also saw her lead Corrimal to a third straight Illawarra League crown - but Davis echoed calls for the NRLW season to be lengthened in the coming seasons.

"I think that's definitely we're everyone's hoping it goes," Davis said.

"It'll get their eventually, it's just about working out what's best for all the girls at the moment. It's so hard with the semi-professionalism trying to work out the money side of things.

"If it did happen a lot of girls would have to quit their fulltime job. It's slowly getting into that era but it's extremely hard for the pathway development people to figure it out.

"Hopefully next year it expands a bit, especially for people who are young in their career like me who want to develop their game as best they can.

"It's really hard with just the three games to build your confidence, learn and develop your game. I'm sure it'll get there eventually."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ong-test-a-surreal-feeling-for-davis/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
hunt.jpg

DRAGONS

Full list of World Cup 9s matches featuring Dragons
Author
Timestamp
Mon 14 Oct 2019, 12:09 PM

A full list of games featuring St George Illawarra Dragons men and women’s players at next weekend's World Cup 9s in Sydney.

Men

Friday, October 18

6.20pm - France vs Lebanon (Jersey Flegg forward Jalal Bazzaz)

7.10pm – England (James Graham :copyright:, Gareth Widdop) vs Wales

7.25pm – Tonga v Cook Islands (Steven Marsters)

8.10pm – Samoa (Tim Lafai, Luciano Leilua) v Fiji (Mikaele Ravalawa)

9.00pm – Australia (Tyson Frizell, Ben Hunt) v New Zealand

Saturday, October 19

12.20pm – England (James Graham :copyright:, Gareth Widdop) v Lebanon (Jalal Bazzaz)

12.45pm – Samoa (Tim Lafai, Luciano Leilua) v Cook Islands (Steven Marsters)

1.10pm – Tonga v Fiji (Mikaele Ravalawa)

2.10pm - Australia (Tyson Frizell, Ben Hunt) v USA

3.00pm – Lebanon (Jalal Bazzaz) v Wales

3.25pm – England (James Graham :copyright:, Gareth Widdop) v France

4.00pm – Fiji (Mikaele Ravalawa) v Cook Islands (Steven Marsters)

4.25pm – Tonga v Samoa (Tim Lafai, Luciano Leilua)

5.15pm – Australia (Tyson Frizell, Ben Hunt) v PNG

Women

Firday, October 18

8.35pm – Australia (Kezie Apps, Brittany Breayley, Keeley Davis, Jess Sergis, Shakiah Tungai, Botille Vette-Welsh, Shaylee Bent, Tiana Penitani) v New Zealand (Teuila Fotu-Moala)

Saturday, October 19

11.30am - New Zealand (Teuila Fotu-Moala) v PNG

2.35pm - Australia (Kezie Apps, Brittany Breayley, Keeley Davis, Jess Sergis, Shakiah Tungai, Botille Vette-Welsh, Shaylee Bent, Tiana Penitani) v England

5.40pm - Australia (Kezie Apps, Brittany Breayley, Keeley Davis, Jess Sergis, Shakiah Tungai, Botille Vette-Welsh, Shaylee Bent, Tiana Penitani) v PNG

6.05pm – New Zealand (Teuila Fotu-Moala) v England

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/14/full-list-of-world-cup-9s-matches-featuring-dragons/

getsmarty

Immortal
nrlw-playerschampion_20191014.jpg

NRL NEWS

Tedesco, Sergis crowned 2019 RLPA Players' Champions
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 14 Oct 2019, 10:04 PM

The accolades continue to come for James Tedesco and Jessica Sergis, with the star duo claiming their respective The Players' Champion awards on Monday night.

Eight days after scoring the try that iced the Roosters' second straight premiership, Tedesco collected the esteemed peer-voted honour at the Rugby League Players' Association (RLPA) awards night in Sydney.

The NSW and Australian representative beat out finalists Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Payne Haas, Cameron Munster and Cameron Smith in the annual players' poll.

The fullback joined ex-Cowboys legend Johnathan Thurston as the only player to win the gong multiple times, having been crowned the game's best when he was at the Tigers in 2017.

Tedesco, 26, had already claimed the Wally Lewis Medal, Brad Fittler Medal, Dally M Medal and Jack Gibson Medal in 2019.

"James has no doubt had an incredible season, he has won nearly every award possible this year and is now The Players' Champion with his peers acknowledging his extraordinary efforts," RLPA CEO Ian Prendergast said.

tedesco-j-190811006kc.jpg

Following on from becoming the second female Dally M Medal recipient, St George Illawarra's gun centre Jessica Sergis earned the first NRLW Players' Champion title.

Botille Vette-Welsh, Rona Peters, Georgia Hale and Charntay Poko were the other finalists.

"We are proud to this year introduce the NRLW Players' Champion award, with Jess enjoying a stellar year with the Dragons and a deserving winner of the inaugural honour," Prendergast said.

Sergis intercepts her way to a double

Other winners included David Gower (the Dennis Tutty Award for advancing the interests of their fellow players), Haas (Rookie of the Year), Russell Packer (Male Academic Player of the Year), Vanessa Foliaki (Female Academic Player of the Year), Josh Addo-Carr (Indigenous Academic Excellence) and Jayson Bukuya (Pasifika Academic Excellence).

The ceremony at Foxtel on Oxford celebrated the 40th anniversary of the RLPA.

"I want to thank everyone who joined us for the event, including some of the pioneers of the Association, and also pay tribute to everyone who has played a role in the RLPA's history," Prendergast said.

Full list of winners
NRL Players' Champion: James Tedesco (Sydney Roosters)

NRLW Players' Champion: Jessica Sergis (St George Illawarra Dragons)

The Dennis Tutty Award: David Gower (Parramatta Eels)

Rookie of the Year: Payne Haas (Brisbane Broncos)

The Players' 13 Dream Team: 1. James Tedesco, 2. Maika Sivo, 3. Latrell Mitchell, 4. Will Hopoate, 5. Daniel Tupou, 6. Cameron Munster, 7. Daly Cherry-Evans, 8. Payne Haas, 9. Cameron Smith, 10. Josh Papalii, 11. John Bateman,12. Kenny Bromwich, 13. Jake Trbojevic

Male Academic Player of the Year: Russell Packer (Wests Tigers)

Female Academic Player of the Year: Vanessa Foliaki (Sydney Roosters)

Indigenous Academic Excellence Award: Josh Addo-Carr (Melbourne Storm)

Pasifika Academic Excellence Awards: Jayson Bukuya (Cronulla Sharks)

Academic Team of the Year: Vanessa Foliaki (Currently completing a Bachelor of Psychology, Massey University)

Matthew Lodge (Completed a Diploma of Business and currently completing a Bachelor of Business, Swinburne University)

James Tamou (Currently completing a Cert III in Carpentry and Cert III & IV in fitness and completed small Business, EABS)

Will Hopoate (Completed a Diploma of Community Services and Cert IV in Community, Granville Tafe)

Brett Morris (Currently completing a Cert III in Carpentry and Completed cert iv in small business, Gymea Tafe)

Daniel Alvaro (Currently completing a Cert III in Carpentry, Meadowbank Tafe)

Toafofoa Sipley (Completed a Bachelor of Education in High School teaching, University of Auckland)

Jamie Buhrer (Currently completing a Bachelor in Sports Business Management, ACPE)

Coen Hess (Currently doing Master of Business Administration and completed a Diploma of Hospitality and Diploma of Business Management, CQU)

Chanel Harris-Tavita (Currently completing a Bachelor of Business, Auckland University of Technology)

Keegan Hipgrave (Currently completing a Bachelor of Business, QUT)

Russell Packer (Currently completing a Masters Business Administration, UNSW)

Robbie Rochow (Currently completing a Bachelor of Engineering, UNSW)

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/15/tedesco-sergis-crowned-2019-rlpa-players-champions/

getsmarty

Immortal
sergis-players-champ-nh.jpg

WOMEN'S RUGBY LEAGUE

Players Champ Sergis on where her aggression comes from
Author
Margie McDonald Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 15 Oct 2019, 11:01 AM
mcdonaldmargie-head.png

Give some credit to Jess Sergis's father and brother.

If it hadn't been for their rough and tumble tutelage, with some expert tips thrown in by dad Paul and brother Brandon, Sergis might not be the aggressive, assertive player you see today.

Whether it's anticipating the intercept pass and racing 80 metres to score, or the fend, the steal, or dragging players attached to her, Sergis is known for that 'never give up' attitude.

"I guess just the love of the sport. I've grown up tackling my dad and my brother. So they're to blame," Sergis told NRL.com after taking out the RLPA's Players Champion of the NRLW for 2019 at Monday's awards night in Sydney.

The 22-year-old always has a smile on her face and is one of the most popular members of the Dragons women's team, the NSW Origin side, and this weekend the Australian Nines squad.

"I am a different person on the field. I am pretty aggressive but that's a side of my footy that I love because I know I give it my all every time I run out."

That attitude has helped her land the Dally M Player of the Year award this year and then two days later, the Dragons women's player of the season. Three big awards for an outside back with a big future.

Jess surges to Dally M-Players‘ Champion double

"Words can't really describe how I'm feeling. There is still that niggling feeling that I don't really deserve this because there's so many amazing players out there," Sergis said, after winning the RLPA award from four other finalists: Georgia Hale (Warriors), Charntay Poko (Warriors), Rona Peters (Broncos) and Botille Vette-Welsh (Dragons).

"But I'm definitely very honoured. And if it was going to be any year then I'm glad it's this year because I've worked so hard to get back due to injury (ankle, foot).

"I've given it my all so if this is the rewards for that, then there's a certain satisfaction in that."

She is back in the Jillaroos side for the October 25 Test against New Zealand in Wollongong but first the World Nines at Parramatta's Bankwest Stadium.

"This is my first go at Nines. I'm expecting a different level of football. I'm really excited but at the same time a bit nervous – I'll really get to see how my fitness levels are.

"I've got some very good players around me so I get a lot of confidence from that. I really can't wait to get out on the field on Friday."

Sergis reveals how the Red V turned their season around

The next question is where Sergis, who made 21 tackle breaks and two line busts in her four NRLW matches, will line up in coach Brad Donald's said.

"You're pretty much running everywhere," she said. "I've been practising everywhere at the moment – wing, centre, fullback – because you never know what's going to be thrown at you.

"It seems to be a game that you take minute by minute and see how quickly you react to what's happening in the game."

The Australians first game is against the Kiwi Ferns on Friday night.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/15/players-champ-sergis-on-where-her-aggression-comes-from/

Latest posts