What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rep Footy

getsmarty

Immortal
Frizell, Vaughan and Hunt named in PM's XIII squad
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 30 Sep 2019, 02:00 PM

A host of emerging NRL and NRLW stars have been recognised with selection in this year's PM's XIII teams to face Fiji.

After showing a keen interest last year, Prime Minister Scott Morrison - a Cronulla Sharks tragic - was again heavily involved in helping men's coach Mal Meninga and women's mentor Brad Donald pick the players for the clash in Suva on October 11.

Sharks back-rower Wade Graham will captain the men's team and is one of five players to have represented Australia.

Twelve PM's XIII debutants have been picked including Payne Haas, David Fifita, Thomas Flegler, Reuben Garrick and Reed Mahoney.

Ben Hunt will start at hooker with Cody Walker and Mitchell Moses to start in the halves. The match shapes as an audition for Hunt to prove to Meninga that he deserves to retain his bench dummy-half role for the Kangaroos.

The match is the first time the men's and women's PM's XIII sides have played in Fiji.

“The Prime Minister’s XIII match is a key match in the representative calendar for a number of reasons,” Meninga said.

pmxiii_team_list_1080x1350-2.jpg

“It’s part of the representative pathway that rewards the players strong performances from the premiership season, as well as showcasing the positive impact rugby league has for communities throughout the Pacific.

“The Prime Minister and I had some discussions recently about the make up of the side and believe we’ve struck a solid balance of youth and experience for next Friday’s fixture in Suva.”

Sydney Roosters and Queensland representative Karina Brown will skipper the women's outfit.

w_pmxiii_team-list_1080x13501-1.jpg

Coach Brad Donald expects the fixture to highlight some future NRLW players.

“We had 13 players from last year’s PM’s XIII women’s squad play in the NRLW this year, which shows the elite pathway is truly working,” Donald said.

“It’s an incredible opportunity for these women to be on show, empowering communities and women throughout to the Pacific both on and off the field.”

Morrison felt it was integral to combine youth and experience in both squads.

“This year’s Prime Minister’s XIII squads focus on youth and experience,” the Prime Minister said.

“I wanted bring together veterans who have served the game well over a number of years with the brightest young talents that have come onto the rugby league scene.

“Mal, Brad and I are confident that we’ve come up with two really strong and well-balanced teams and I’m looking forward to seeing them in action in Fiji.

“And just as importantly as the games is that players, coaches and officials from both teams will be utilising their visit to spread the message of our domestic and family violence campaigns.”

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/09/30/frizell-vaughan-and-hunt-named-in-pms-xiii-squad/

getsmarty

Immortal
huntb_2nh_2357.jpg

REPRESENTATIVE

Dragon under fire: Hunt grateful to make all three Australian squads
Author
Alicia Newton NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Thu 10 Oct 2019, 05:25 PM
newtonalicia-head.png

Ben Hunt feared his spot in the Australian team was in doubt following St George Illawarra's rocky 2019 season but Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga had other ideas.

Along with Wade Graham and Tyson Frizell, he is one of three players set to play in every upcoming fixture on the Australian international calendar including the World Cup Nines next week.

The 29-year-old was close to the Maroons' best player during the State of Origin series this season but his efforts at the Dragons came under fire throughout the year as the side slumped to 15th spot on the ladder.

His selection for the upcoming Tests against New Zealand and Tonga created further uproar online - a tale Hunt has unfortunately known all too well throughout his career.

"I haven't had the greatest year but for Mal to pick me in these sides over the next month I'm grateful," Hunt told NRL.com following the PM's XIII captain's run on Thursday.

"I am disappointed with how the season at the Dragons played out but was happy with how the Origin series went.

Graham gives go-ahead on young guns

"We still didn't win obviously but I thought I did my best and that's why I think Mal picked me. Playing dummy-half is a lot simpler role, you're basically just passing and tackling with a couple of runs every now and then.

"I'm thankful that he's still got some faith in me to play."

A visit to Ratu Felise Memorial School near Suva on Wednesday and celebrating Fiji Day with a signings session on Thursday puts a difficult year into perspective for Hunt.

"You get hammered about every little thing you do back home," he said.

"There is a lot of perspective visiting young kids in Fiji, it's kind of like going home after a loss and seeing your own kids. They don't know any different they're still excited to see you.

"We're also here to spread the word around violence against women and children and I think that has been a powerful message to send."

The Dragons are nearing completion of their end-of-season review after a disastrous Telstra Premiership campaign, their worst season on record since becoming a joint venture in 1999.

Hunt said departing captain Gareth Widdop's long-term shoulder injury and the standing down of Jack de Belin under the NRL's no fault stand-down policy were significant moments in their season.

"I believe we can get back on track," Hunt said.

"We just need to work on our game a bit harder and change a few things around with our defensive structures.

"There's no doubting we've got the players to do it and a mix of young kids coming through.

"It's been a difficult year but we're determined to turn things around."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/10/10...grateful-to-make-all-three-australian-squads/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragon bagged 'because of the size of his wage': Meninga
Christian Nicolussi
October 10, 2019 — 7.00pm
  • Send via Email
Suva: Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga spoke for thousands of rugby league fans when he said the criticism levelled at Ben Hunt was often driven ''because of the size of his wage".

Even his own St George Illawarra fans have often found it easy to turn on their $6 million man, but Hunt remains a must with Meninga when it comes to wearing the green and gold at the end of the season.

c10b3364293ebc2c6806e1d098f6a7024883d34b

Ben Hunt faces plenty of criticism, but has a fan in the Australian coach.Credit:Getty

Hunt himself said he was disappointed with his finish to the NRL season and would learn how to cope with the post-Origin period better if given the chance to play for Queensland again.

Meninga has always admired Hunt for his on-field ability and how he copes with the intense scrutiny of his game.

Hunt is expected to start at hooker - Reed Mahoney is also in the squad - and possibly spend time in the halves on Friday night when the Prime Minister's XIII take on Fiji.

Hunt will play for the PM's XIII and then for the Kangaroos in their two Tests against New Zealand and Tonga. While Damien Cook will wear the No. 9, and Daly Cherry-Evans will be joined by either Luke Keary or Cameron Munster in the halves, Hunt offers so much in the No. 14.

"I'm a big fan of Benny, in the bigger games he played No. 9 for Queensland this year and was exceptionally good, and I firmly believe he's our best No. 2 hooker who can also play No. 6, No. 7, even No. 13 - he adds great versatility to your bench," Meninga told the Herald.

"That's why Queensland keep picking him, that's why I keep picking him.

"He's just great to be around, he's a great leader, he's a senior player and very willing with his time with the juniors as well.

"He plays in an important position for the Dragons, he did for the Broncos, but the No. 7 is only as good as his footy team."

Hunt came under fire for dropping a kick in the loss to the New Zealand Warriors during Magic Round - it evoked memories of his infamous grand final bobble in 2015 - and then hounded for being rested after the Origin series when the Dragons desperately needed all hands on deck for the run to the finals.

208aaabdecb2d9c6db62c3c77bd193c798311790

Meninga says there's a reason Hunt keeps getting picked for Queensland.Credit:AAP

"My back end of the season was pretty ordinary," Hunt said.

"I feel down about it to be honest. I need to find a way to change that coming out of Origin. If I play that next year I need to come back and go to another level rather than step back.

"I wish I knew the answer. It's about getting back to working hard, trying to change a few things in our game plan and doing more preparation. That's all I can do."

cef0231bfe00e905c1703e4245ed3d1fa58b5ba8

Hunt is hoping to make a good impression in Fiji.

Hunt said he had learned to cope with the negative comments that often followed him and acknowledged being one of the best-paid players in the NRL made him an easy target.

"It comes with the territory and you have to understand you take that on when you get a decent pay packet," Hunt said.

"Especially being a half, if you win the game you usually get the raps, but if you lose you'll cop it as well. You have to take the good with the bad.

''I've learned to handle it and while I don't enjoy it, it's good in a way because it can take the heat off my team if we're not going well.

"There have been several years now I've had to learn how to do that, I've had some highs but definitely some lows. You cop it at those times and work out different ways to handle it and only listen to people you trust."

As for a parting message for the Red V faithful and why they should be optimistic about 2020, Hunt said: "We've got a quality roster, you look at blokes in our team, there are plenty of representative players and young guys on the cusp.

"We'll change a few things in the pre-season and work out a plan going forward. We've still the got team and players to do it."

Christian Nicolussi was a guest of the NRL for the Prime Minister's XIII in Fiji.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/dr...size-of-his-wage-meninga-20191010-p52zfm.html

getsmarty

Immortal
huntb_1nh_0576.jpg

NINES

The five big matches at the World Cup 9s
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sun 13 Oct 2019, 02:40 PM
walterbrad-head.png

It’s been dubbed the Pacific Pool but it could just as well be the Pool of Death.

Pool C, featuring Samoa and Tonga, Fiji and Cook Islands, is set to be the most hotly contested men's pool of the World Cup 9s with every match having an impact on which nation qualifies for the semi-finals.

Samoa and Tonga share one of the game's greatest international rivalries, Fiji has made it to the semi-finals of the past three World Cups and Cook Islands are on the verge of winning a berth at the 2021 tournament.

With no quarter-final stage at the inaugural World Cup Nines, every match is going to have a bearing on which teams make it through to the semi-finals of the 12-nation men's tournament, while the top two sides from the women’s pool will meet again in the final.

Nine players to watch at the World Cup 9s

Five key matches at the World Cup 9s
Australia v New Zealand, Pool A, Friday 9pm
The Kangaroos and Kiwis have selected star studded line-ups, with powerful forwards and speed to burn outwide.

For Australia, the likes of Cody Walker, Mitchell Moses, Kalyn Ponga, Josh Addo-Carr and Ryan Papenhuyzen should revel with the extra space in Nines, while Wade Graham, David Fifita, Jai Arrow and Tyson Frizell will be hard for the New Zealand defence to contain.

The Kiwis have just as much attacking flair through Shaun Johnson, Kodi Nikorima, Dylan Brown, Charnze Nichol-Klokstad and Ken Maumalo.

World Cup 9s Player Focus: Elliott Whitehead

Tonga v Fiji, Pool C, Saturday 1.10pm
Both Tonga and Fiji qualified for the 2017 World Cup semi-finals and this match could decide which of the island nations repeats that feat here.

Fiji have an impressive squad led by Kevin Naiqama and featuring the likes of Suliasi Vunivalu, Maika Sivo, Villiam Kikau and Apisau Koroisau, who should all be suited to the Nines format.

However, it is likely to be a case of Fiji’s backs versus Tonga's powerhouse forward pack, which includes Jason Taumalolo, Andrew Fifita, Joe Ofahengaue and Tevita Pangai jnr.

England v France, Pool B, Saturday 3.25pm
England are likely to be aiming to secure a semi-final berth by beating France but les Chanticleers will have other ideas.

Led by former Sydney Roosters forward Jason Baiteri, the French side features five Catalans players and another five from Toulouse, as well as Hakim Miloudi, who helped Toronto Wolfpack win promotion to Super League last week.

England will feature NRL stars James Graham, Gareth Widdop, Tom Burgess and Elliott Whitehead, as well as former Canberra playmaker Blake Austin and Raiders-bound halfback George Williams.

How the inaugural Rugby League World Cup 9s will work

Tonga v Samoa, Pool C, Saturday 4.25pm
This one never fails. Samoa and Tonga clashes have a passion like few other games and both teams will be desperate to win this match as it could decide which side finishes top of the pool.

Samoa have named a strong squad, with Samoa boasting the likes of Joey and Luciano Leilua, Danny Levi, Jarome Luai and Jorge Taufua, whole Tonga are a mixture of experience and youth.

Tonga forwards Jason Taumalolo, Andrew Fifita, Joe Ofahengaue and Tevita Pangai jnr should revel in a nine-a-side game, while John Asiata is set to become one of the biggest playmakers at the Nines.

McGregor back in green and gold for World Cup Nines

New Zealand v England, Women’s Pool, Saturday 6.05pm
With the top two women's teams advancing to the final, this game is expected to decide one of those spots.

New Zealand will be buoyed by the return of Honey Hireme, who missed the Warriors NRLW campaign to care for her late mother, while St George Illawarra forward Tueila Fotu-Moala will be champing at the bit after being suspended for the final three matches for a crusher tackle in the opening round.

England have been building since the 2017 World Cup after the introduction of a Super League competition and their squad includes Castleford and Leeds players who featured in Saturday’s grand final.

For ticket and travel packages for the Downer Rugby League World Cup 9s Sydney 2019, head to nrl.com/tickets.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/14/the-five-big-matches-at-the-world-cup-9s/

getsmarty

Immortal
NINES

World Cup Nines 2019: All you need to know
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Sun 13 Oct 2019, 09:52 AM

Nines rugby league will take centre stage at Bankwest Stadium with 12 national teams to contest the men's Downer Rugby League World Cup 9s Sydney 2019 and four to compete in the women's event.

Wade Graham will captain Australia, who will be tournament favourites but the unpredictable nature of the Nines arena means they will face strong opposition on several fronts.

New Zealand and England have each named strong squads while the likes of Tonga, Fiji, Papua New Guinea and Samoa will be dangerous in the men's tournament.

PNG will join Australia, New Zealand and England in the field for the women's competition.

World Nines
Who will win the men's trophy at Bankwest Stadium?

World Nines Who will win the men's trophy at Bankwest Stadium?
  • Australia
    0%
  • New Zealand
    0%
  • Papua New Guinea
    0%
  • USA
    0%
  • England
    0%
  • France
    0%
  • Lebanon
    0%
  • Wales
    0%
  • Tonga
    0%
  • Samoa
    0%
  • Fiji
    0%
  • Cook Islands
    0%
Downer World Cup Nines – Sydney
Where: Bankwest Stadium

When: October 18-19

Where you can watch it in Australia: Fox Sports

Ticket information: NRL Tickets

World Nines
Who will win the women's trophy at Bankwest Stadium?

World Nines Who will win the women's trophy at Bankwest Stadium?
  • Australia
    0%
  • England
    0%
  • New Zealand
    0%
  • Papua New Guinea
    0%
For ticket and travel packages for the Downer Rugby League World Cup 9s Sydney 2019, head to nrl.com/tickets.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/14/world-cup-nines-2019-all-you-need-to-know/

getsmarty

Immortal
WIN Stadium Test a surreal feeling for Davis
Dragons Den
r0_0_3500_2333_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

HOME TURF: Keeley Davis says playing for the Jillaroos at WIN stadium will be a "surreal" feeling. Picture: Anna Warr

THE last time the Jillaroos came to town, Keeley Davis was still a student at Holy Spirit College - and somewhat in awe of visiting stars Ruan Sims and Simaima Taufa.

That was in 2017, three years after she sat on the WIN Stadium hill and watched the Jillaroos take on a Kiwi-Ferns side featuring the likes Honey Hireme and Teuila Fotu-Moala.

She's now played with and against all four giants of women's league. It's a reality that really hits home as she prepares to return to WIN Stadium on October 25 - this time on the other side of the fence.

"Two years ago Ruan Sims and Simaima Taufa came to my high school and gave a talk during their [2017] World Cup prep," Davis recalls.

"It's something I remember very vividly. I've played with them and against them so it's pretty surreal. [The Test] here was the first time I saw Teuila play and the hits were just huge.

"It's going to be a pretty surreal feeling getting to play at my home ground. Going in last year for my [Test] debut I was so nervous and I didn't really take the experience in.

"Looking back there's a lot of regrets about the nerves and not letting it sink in. I'm looking forward to going in a lot more confident and enjoying the experience a lot more.

"I think I'm definitely in a heaps better place in my footy career in terms of confidence so I'm really excited to play a Test in Wollongong."

The regrets may have come in hindsight, but facing the Kiwi Ferns in New Zealand meant the nerves were warranted for the then 18-year-old.

"I was on the bench for the first 20 minutes and I was expecting the pace to drop off but the pace of the game was just frantic the whole time," she said.

"When I got on for the last 10 minutes of the first half they were still going 100 per cent. I looked at the clock and I'd been on for two minutes, I thought I'd been on for 20.

"The pace and tightness of the game... everything was up a notch. It was crazy."

The 2018 whirlwind was pulled up somewhat by a second serious elbow injury earlier this year. It kept her out of Origin reckoning and the Corrimal product admits she feared the road back to a Jillaroos jumper could be a long one.

"After I got my injury this year and missed out on Origin and was [number] 14 for Country I was a bit concerned," she said.

"I think before that injury I was as fit as I've ever been. I'd worked really, really hard so I knew if I kept doing that there was no way I'd come back be a worse player than I was last year.

"It's been pretty up and down the last few days after the [NRLW] grand final but seeing the news I was very, very excited and very grateful to be selected again."

It's the icing on the cake after another solid season - that also saw her lead Corrimal to a third straight Illawarra League crown - but Davis echoed calls for the NRLW season to be lengthened in the coming seasons.

"I think that's definitely we're everyone's hoping it goes," Davis said.

"It'll get their eventually, it's just about working out what's best for all the girls at the moment. It's so hard with the semi-professionalism trying to work out the money side of things.

"If it did happen a lot of girls would have to quit their fulltime job. It's slowly getting into that era but it's extremely hard for the pathway development people to figure it out.

"Hopefully next year it expands a bit, especially for people who are young in their career like me who want to develop their game as best they can.

"It's really hard with just the three games to build your confidence, learn and develop your game. I'm sure it'll get there eventually."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ong-test-a-surreal-feeling-for-davis/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
hunt.jpg

DRAGONS

Full list of World Cup 9s matches featuring Dragons
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Mon 14 Oct 2019, 12:09 PM

A full list of games featuring St George Illawarra Dragons men and women’s players at next weekend's World Cup 9s in Sydney.

Men

Friday, October 18

6.20pm - France vs Lebanon (Jersey Flegg forward Jalal Bazzaz)

7.10pm – England (James Graham :copyright:, Gareth Widdop) vs Wales

7.25pm – Tonga v Cook Islands (Steven Marsters)

8.10pm – Samoa (Tim Lafai, Luciano Leilua) v Fiji (Mikaele Ravalawa)

9.00pm – Australia (Tyson Frizell, Ben Hunt) v New Zealand

Saturday, October 19

12.20pm – England (James Graham :copyright:, Gareth Widdop) v Lebanon (Jalal Bazzaz)

12.45pm – Samoa (Tim Lafai, Luciano Leilua) v Cook Islands (Steven Marsters)

1.10pm – Tonga v Fiji (Mikaele Ravalawa)

2.10pm - Australia (Tyson Frizell, Ben Hunt) v USA

3.00pm – Lebanon (Jalal Bazzaz) v Wales

3.25pm – England (James Graham :copyright:, Gareth Widdop) v France

4.00pm – Fiji (Mikaele Ravalawa) v Cook Islands (Steven Marsters)

4.25pm – Tonga v Samoa (Tim Lafai, Luciano Leilua)

5.15pm – Australia (Tyson Frizell, Ben Hunt) v PNG

Women

Firday, October 18

8.35pm – Australia (Kezie Apps, Brittany Breayley, Keeley Davis, Jess Sergis, Shakiah Tungai, Botille Vette-Welsh, Shaylee Bent, Tiana Penitani) v New Zealand (Teuila Fotu-Moala)

Saturday, October 19

11.30am - New Zealand (Teuila Fotu-Moala) v PNG

2.35pm - Australia (Kezie Apps, Brittany Breayley, Keeley Davis, Jess Sergis, Shakiah Tungai, Botille Vette-Welsh, Shaylee Bent, Tiana Penitani) v England

5.40pm - Australia (Kezie Apps, Brittany Breayley, Keeley Davis, Jess Sergis, Shakiah Tungai, Botille Vette-Welsh, Shaylee Bent, Tiana Penitani) v PNG

6.05pm – New Zealand (Teuila Fotu-Moala) v England

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/14/full-list-of-world-cup-9s-matches-featuring-dragons/

BLM01

First Grade
I think it is all overdone...the rep stuff. Too easy to be called an international....for some of the players anyway for hardly top level experience. Too much of it for mine...bit less makes the honour of the occasional rep jersey more worthy
I am all for players representing their heartland and do it proud...(operative words being heart and land ). It is funny seeing people qualify then have to learn the culture, the anthem etc.
Now Blake Austin can play and represent England...proudly?....not so sure
Then the player manager runs with all the international player rep thing demanding $$$$$
It just seems its gone past the true honour for some of representing your nation your born into and supposedly hold dear to your heart.
Whereas origin remains and it is why it is now called the pinnacle of NRL.... not so much the old transition from a state or origin player to an international player

getsmarty

Immortal
graham.jpg

DRAGONS

Graham achieves childhood dream with Great Britain captaincy
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 15 Oct 2019, 04:01 PM

Inspirational St George Illawarra Dragons prop James Graham will captain the Great Britain Lions in their historical tour of the southern hemisphere, in what the passionate Englishman describes as "extremely humbling".

Graham is the only member of the 24-man squad who has previously played for Great Britain, winning five caps in 2006 and 2007 as a 19-year-old.

Despite now edging into his mid-30s, Graham hasn't lost any passion for the famous Lions, recalling his childhood ambition of one day playing under their banner.

"It's obviously very emotional for me,” Graham said. "Having Great Britain back, some of the older lads and I in the group grew up with the ambition or dream to play for Great Britain.

"Obviously that’s changed with England coming in, but for me I can remember watching Great Britain against Australia, the Jonathan Davies try at Wembley.

"Watching players like Paul Sculthorpe and Andy Farrell, players of that ilk. That's where you want to be."

grahamgb.jpg

Graham representing England in a 34-20 victory over Australia in 2010
Already the most-capped player for England with a record 44 matches for his country, Graham is in line to complete a rare half-century of Test caps this autumn.

Being the most experienced and hardened player in the squad, Graham was as humble as ever and apathetic to bearing the responsibility of captaining his country.

"It's bitter-sweet as well, in an ideal world Sean (O'Loughlin) would be fit and available, and Sam (Burgess) is unavailable as well. Those two probably would have had it ahead of me but that’s not to be,” Graham said

"Though with the candidates still available, people like Gareth Widdop and Josh Hodgson, who captained Canberra to a grand final, it's pretty humbling to lead up the team.“

Born in soccer-crazed Merseyside, Graham's dream was to always play rugby league and it didn't take long before Graham's passion for the sport eventuated into a professional career, debuting at just 17 for St Helens.

Wayne Bennett, the Great Britain and England head coach, said of Graham: "No-one plays with more pride and passion than he does for his country, I can tell you."

Great Britain will play four Tests on consecutive Saturdays on their first trip to the southern hemisphere since the 2006 Tri-Nations series.

They will first play against a Tongan Invitational XIII in Hamilton on October 26, followed by two matches against New Zealand in Auckland and Christchurch. The tour will end on November 16 in Port Moresby in what will be the Lions' first Test in Papua New Guinea since 1996.

Additional reporting by Great Britain media manager Phil Daly

Great Britain squad for 2019 Rugby League Lions tour of New Zealand and Papua New Guinea: James Graham (St George Illawarra Dragons, Blackbrook; captain), Blake Austin (Warrington Wolves, Doonside Roos), John Bateman (Canberra Raiders, Bradford Dudley Hill), Tom Burgess (South Sydney, Dewsbury Moor), Daryl Clark (Warrington Wolves, Fryston Warriors), Jake Connor (Hull FC, Siddal), Lachlan Coote (St Helens, Windsor Wolves), Oliver Gildart (Wigan Warriors, Wigan St Patricks), Zak Hardaker (Wigan Warriors, Featherstone Lions), Jackson Hastings (Salford Red Devils, Western Suburbs Red Devils), Ryan Hall (Sydney Roosters, Oulton Raiders), Chris Hill (Warrington Wolves, New Spring Lions), Josh Hodgson (Canberra Raiders, East Hull), Jack Hughes (Warrington Wolves, Golborne Parkside), Josh Jones (Salford Red Devils, Blackbrook), Jonny Lomax (St Helens, Orrell St James), Jermaine McGillvary (Huddersfield Giants, Deighton Juniors), Joe Philbin (Warrington Wolves, Culcheth Eagles), Luke Thompson (St Helens, Bold Miners), Jake Trueman (Castleford Tigers, West Bowling), Alex Walmsley (St Helens, Dewsbury Celtic), Elliott Whitehead (Canberra Raiders, West Bowling), Gareth Widdop (St George Illawarra Dragons, Kings Cross), George Williams (Wigan Warriors, Wigan St Patricks).

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...childhood-dream-with-great-britain-captaincy/

getsmarty

Immortal
world-nines-womens-captains-1gp_4074.jpg

NINES

Brought to you by

Why equal pay means so much to female World Cup 9s stars
Author
Timestamp
Wed 16 Oct 2019, 05:08 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Respect, recognition and a massive step forward for women’s sport.

Those were some of the reactions from players in the women’s teams at this week’s World Cup Nines to news that they would receive the same payment as their male counterparts for playing in the tournament.

The revelation by NRL.com that the 256 players in the four women’s teams and 12 men’s teams would be paid $2,000 each by tournament organisers was a topic of discussion at the official World Cup Nines launch in Sydney on Wednesday.

For most players in the Papua New Guinea and England women’s teams and USA and Lebanon men’s teams, it is the first time they have been paid to represent their nation.

However, for many of the game’s female stars the fact that men and women are receiving equal pay is as significant as the amount they are being paid.

“If you speak to the girls it is not the money but the reason behind it. It’s the recognition, it’s the respect,” PNG Orchids forward Lekiellia Brown said.

“Back home the girls get criticised a lot for playing rugby league so hopefully it changes people’s attitudes.

“Now when we go back the news will spread that we are equal, we are getting paid the same as the boys and it will motivate the young girls back home to take up rugby league.”

Brigginshaw talks up 'scary' Australian backline

Orchids co-captain Angelena Watego said many of the players had made financial sacrifices to play.

“I think it is good that we are being recognised and are finally on the same levels,” Watego said. “We live in the 21st century so we should all be treated the same.

“For the majority of the boys this is their job, they play football day in and day out, whereas the majority of us girls have to work and we have to train after work and we have to take time off work to come to these camps.”

Despite being contracted to St George Illawarra during the recent NRLW season, Kiwi Ferns forward Teuila Fotu-Moala is among the players who have to take time off work to play at the World Cup Nines.

“This means that I don’t have to worry about paying the bills for the week that I am away from work,” Fotu-Moala said.

“It’s awesome and I guess that the game is moving somewhere we would like it to go. It’s better than last year and better than the years before so gradually we are making changes and it is awesome to see that they are putting us on the same platform. It means a lot to the girls.”

Jillaroos fullback Botille Vette-Welsh said having pay parity at the World Cup Nines was significant for all women’s sport.

“It’s good to be acknowledged and rewarded for our efforts,” Vette-Welsh said. “We obviously want to be as great as the men so to be recognised and rewarded and paid equally is pretty cool.

“We have got to take a week off work so to get any money is something we are very grateful for but to get the same amount as the men is a really massive stepping stone for women’s footy and women’s sport in general.”

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/17/why-equal-pay-means-so-much-to-female-world-cup-9s-stars/

getsmarty

Immortal
huntb_1nh_1202.jpg

NINES

Hunt keen for the 'fun' of laidback World Cup 9s
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Thu 17 Oct 2019, 01:01 PM

After a draining year, Australian playmaker Ben Hunt can't wait to be part of the laidback vibe of the World Cup 9s.

The St George Illawarra star was among the scapegoats for his team's poor NRL season and copped heavy criticism.

The fierce desire to succeed remains but the external pressure will drastically drop in the Nines and Hunt is looking forward to an attacking party.

"It's just exciting to get back and play Nines again. I had a couple of laps with the Broncos in the NRL [Auckland] Nines and it was really fun," Hunt told NRL.com.

"I guess it's not quite as serious as your normal competitions. Obviously you want to win but everyone goes out and has a lot of fun."

Asked if the cavalier attitude in Nines evokes memories of junior days, the Queensland Origin No.9 said: "It does a little bit. When you've got the ball, it definitely does.

Ponga happy to take back seat to Addo-Carr and Papenhuyzen

"When you're defending it's different, you're working pretty hard and it's pretty tough sometimes.

"The longer you can have the ball, the better it'll be and you can enjoy yourself."

Hunt expects to switch between hooker and halfback throughout the tournament, though he admits those plans could quickly change.

"At training it kind of goes out the window a little bit when you're moving the ball around a lot and everyone sort of has to get to dummy half at a certain point," he said.

As well as the obvious answers of Josh Addo-Carr and Kalyn Ponga, Hunt nominated "classy" Titans pocket-rocket AJ Brimson as the man he's most hyped to play alongside.

Another speedster made for Nines footy is Melbourne fullback Ryan Papenhuyzen, who is yet to process his remarkable rise in 2019.

World Cup Player Focus: Ryan Papenhuyzen

Having started the season in reserve grade, 21-year-old Papenhuyzen could never have imagined he'd be donning the green and gold seven months later.

"People I aspired to be like I'm actually playing with now, so it's pretty cool," Papenhuyzen said.

"I still can't really believe it. I'll use this time after the tournament and after the [Junior Kangaroos] under-23s next week to reflect on it all.

"Now I'm just trying to ride the wave out and enjoy it as much as I can because I know it's rare and I know it's been a big year."

There's no shortage of gun custodians in Australia's squad - and Knights superstar Ponga is arguably biggest drawcard at the World Cup 9s.

"He's a freak, an absolute freak," said Papenhuyzen.

"I'll just sit back and watch and hopefully throw him the footy a few times and see him do his magic.

"He's awesome and he brings his touch skills into it as well. I played him a couple times in touch so it's good to come in the same side now and see what he can do.

"I still think it'll be hard to get through but once fatigue sets in that's when we'll see the likes of Kalyn and a few of the boys in the team light up."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/17/hunt-keen-for-the-fun-of-laidback-world-cup-9s/

getsmarty

Immortal
'I'm not a monster': Fotu-Moala out to change perceptions

NINES

Brought to you by

'They took 75 per cent of my season': Fotu-Moala out to make up for lost time
Author
Timestamp
Thu 17 Oct 2019, 02:01 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Kiwi Ferns superstar Teuila Fotu-Moala is planning to make up for lost time at the World Cup 9s after the heartache of a season-ending suspension with St George Illawarra she hopes will force changes to the judiciary system for next year’s NRWL competition.

Fotu-Moala, who was the 2017 World Cup player of the tournament, broke down after leaving the NRL judiciary hearing where she received a three-match ban for a crusher tackle on Brisbane hooker Lavinia Gould and has not spoken publicly until now about the decision.

With the NRLW comprising of just three rounds and a grand final, Fotu-Moala was effectively banned for 75 per cent of the season and needed the Dragons to reach the premiership decider for her to be able to play for New Zealand.

“Being back in camp and being able to play some footy feels so good,” Fotu-Moala said. “I just love playing footy - 9s, touch, tag or any footy. I really missed it and I felt like I was out of touch for a bit.”

The 25-year-old forward was thankful for the support she received from the club, her family and team-mates and did virtually everything except play, with dressing room vision after the Dragons qualified for the grand final by beating Sydney Roosters showing her belting out the team song.

Off to the GF :notes::fire: #redv pic.twitter.com/kfUjhqlAfd

— The Dragons (@NRL_Dragons) September 29, 2019
However, Fotu-Moala said it had been difficult knowing she would not be able to play in the grand final and the Dragons missed her power and strength in the middle as they succumbed 30-6 to the Broncos.

“I trusted that the girls were going to do the job and I was just there to cheer them on,” she said. “As a club we always wanted to get one up on the Roosters and they did it without me so that was sweet. I just left it all out in that chant. That was what I could do. I was in there just to give moral support to the girls.

“In the week leading up to the grand final, it was really hard to accept that I wasn’t going to take the field.

"I thought I was going to get a downgrade [at the judiciary] and hope that our team makes it through to the grand final but unfortunately I was out for the whole season.

1gp_4297-copy.jpg

Teuila Fotu-Moala on the charge for the Kiwi Ferns. :copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
“I was pretty gutted after the judiciary. It was a really tough time for me, I kind of broke down because everything just sank in and I was looking forward to the season.”

Fotu-Moala said the penalty was too harsh for an incident that has been widely acknowledged as an accident, given the length of the NRLW season compared to the NRL, which comprises of 25 rounds and a finals series.

“If anyone knows me they know that I am a cuddler. I love hugs,” she said. “All the captains of the other teams approached me and said it is unfair. Maybe it could have been one game, not 75 per cent of the season.

“Apparently I am the first [NRLW judiciary case] and I hope it has opened their eyes to see that it is not the same as the men. They took 75 per cent of my season off me and they would never do that in the NRL for the same thing so there is not consistency there.

“Now that it has happened I think they are going to be more aware of it.”

world-nines-womens-trophy-1gp_3873.jpg

World Cup 9s: All The Teams

20/20
Australia, England, PNG and NZ will vie for the women's World Cup 9s trophy.
Fotu-Moala said it had been tough watching the grand final because she felt she “could probably help them” but the powerhouse second-rower is grateful that the Dragons qualified for the decider so she was eligible for the Kiwi Ferns.

“I just want to get out there now, I have got a lot to prove to myself because I know I can play safe,” she said.

“I think what I will offer in Nines is more physicality and I will try to get good ruck speed and some offloads.”

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...ason-fotu-moala-out-to-make-up-for-lost-time/

getsmarty

Immortal
vette-welshb_2nh_5607.jpg

NINES

Vette-Welsh's 'fun season' just keeps getting better
Author
Timestamp
Fri 18 Oct 2019, 02:32 PM
walterbrad-head.png

At the start of the season, Bottille Vette-Welsh’s list of goals didn’t include playing State of Origin, starring in the NRLW, being a finalist for the Dally M and RLPA player of the year awards or earning selection for the Jillaroos.

“This was my fun season, I was just going to play for fun this year,” the St George Illawarra fullback said.

Vette-Welsh was a member of the inaugural Wests Tigers team in the Harvey Norman NSW Women’s Premiership and joined the Dragons as a virtual maternity leave replacement for Sam Bremner during this year’s NRL Holden Women’s Premiership.

Not only did Vette-Welsh wear Bremner’s No.1 jersey with distinction, but the 23-year-old has filled the vacant spot she left in the Australian squad for the World Cup Nines and October 25 Test against New Zealand at WIN Stadium.

“Sam is a part of the Dragons,” Vette-Welsh said. “She was at a few of our training sessions and she was talking to me from the back, and giving me heaps of advice and tips. She was amazing.

Australia wary of England as Nines dark horse

“She is one of the most incredible fullbacks. We were watching some of the video from the Nines a few years ago and just her efforts and her energy on the field were just crazy. She is definitely someone to listen to.”

The encouragement from Bremner and advice from Dragons coach Daniel Lacey paid off with Vette-Welsh being rewarded for her devastating performances at fullback in the NRLW with one of five nominations for finalists in the Dally M and RLPA Player’s Champion awards.

St George Illawarra team-mate Jess Sergis took out both awards but just to be considered so highly by the Dally M judges and her fellow players who vote for the RLPA award took Vette-Welsh by surprise.

“When I think of the Dally Ms I think of Simaima [Taufa] and Kezie [Apps] and all of those incredible players so for me to be nominated, I thought it was so cool,” she said.

“I went to the Tigers and we started with a team that had no rep players, we kind of went from nothing to coming third in the Harvey Norman comp and then I made National Championships [with NSW City] and then State of Origin, and now this.

“None of those things were on my list to-do at the start of the year but obviously when you have fun you probably play your best footy.”

Penitani set to pull on green and gold in third sport

After her stunning break-out season, Vette-Welsh doesn’t want to change anything in 2020 and hopes to be back with the Dragons and Tigers.

“I am haven’t thought much about next season, I am just happy finishing off this season at the level I am, it’s been incredible,” she said.

“I had a lot to learn when I went to the Dragons and I honestly came out knowing so much more than I have ever learned in the last couple of years that I have played footy so I was so grateful for that.

“Hopefully I will get another crack at the Dragons and I will be sticking with the Tigers for the Harvey Norman so hopefully it will be just as good as this year.”

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/10/18/vette-welshs-fun-season-just-keeps-getting-better/