What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL sent video of alleged Nelson Asofa-Solomona in Bali brawl

_Johnsy

Referee
Regardless of what happens inside the nightclub, you can’t justify walking outside then carrying on like that. Who gets involved in street brawls?
A) Brain dead bogans.

Should be sacked, but will be made a Melbourne co-captain.

This article, from the Nine Wide World of Sports website, sheds a lot more light on this incident -

NRL star Nelson Asofa-Solomona in wild Bali street brawl, new footage emerges
By WWOS staff
3 hours ago

Melbourne Storm star Nelson Asofa-Solomona faces questioning by the NRL integrity unit and his club after allegedly throwing a volley of brutal punches in a Bali street fight.

Asofa-Solomona, who stands 200cm tall and weighs 115kg, was seen in a viral video outside the popular La Favela nightclub in Seminyak, allegedly throwing haymakers amid a huge brawl.

However, Nine News correspondent Renae Henry has spoken with the nightclub owner, Gonzalo Assiego, who revealed that the trouble began inside the club when one of Asofa-Solomona's teammates was attacked by another patron.

The teammate, identified by Nine's Danny Weidler as winger Suliasi Vunivalu, suffered a cut under his eye after being punched in the face; an unprovoked 'king hit'. Assiego released CCTV footage exclusively to Nine News, showing the initial assault.

Assiego said that once the matter went outside, Vunivalu's attacker and a group of friends - including one armed with a bottle - approached the Storm players. That was when Asofa-Solomona allegedly reacted violently and was captured in the viral footage.

"It's so bad, because (the public) don't see the reality of what happened before," Assiego told Henry for Nine News.

"His reaction was aggressive for sure, but we don't know what happened ... and I explained what happened before. I feel sorry for him."

Asofa-Solomona, a New Zealand Test prop and a star for the Storm, arrived back in Melbourne on Monday to face the music. He told Seven: "My side of the story will be told soon."

A Storm official suggested to The Daily Telegraph that Asofa-Solomona would receive limited sympathy for his alleged role in the brawl, regardless of whether he was defending a teammate.

"No matter what the circumstances are, we don't accept this sort of behaviour," the unnamed official said.

In a statement released on Sunday night, Melbourne Storm announced they had reported the matter to the NRL Integrity Unit.

"Melbourne Storm has reported an incident involving a member of our NRL squad currently on holidays in Bali to the NRL's Integrity Unit," a club statement read.

"Storm has launched a full investigation into what has occurred.

"Storm takes these type of incidents very seriously and will not be making any further public comment at this time."

A number of Storm players were in Bali on an end-of-season trip, including Josh Addo-Carr, Cameron Munster, Felise Kaufusi, Brandon Smith and Tui Kamikamica.

Asofa-Solomona was set to play post-season Test matches for New Zealand against Australia and Great Britain, but now faces the prospect of being stood down.

Apey

Staff member
https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/s...l/news-story/e4fe5a9b7cd20fa50c652116a423dcd6

Nelson Asofa-Solomona has received support from a Bali nightclub owner as he arrives back in Australia to face an investigation by the NRL’s Integrity Unit over his alleged role in a violent street brawl.

The giant prop was allegedly filmed throwing a series of heavy punches outside the La Favela restaurant and bar in Seminyak.

But La Favela owner Gonzalo Assiego released CCTV vision to 9 News which he told the network showed one of the Storm star’s teammates being hit in an unprovoked attack which left him with a cut under his eye inside the club. The Daily Telegraph has reported it was Storm winger Suliasi Vunivalu who was “king hit”.

The groups were then forced outside by security where one of the instigators approached Asofa-Solomona armed with a bottle.

“It’s so bad because they don’t see the reality (of) what happened before,” Assiego told 9 News. “His reaction was aggressive for sure but … I feel sorry for him.”

The Storm organised for Asofa-Solomona to return to Melbourne immediately. “My side of the story will be told soon,” he told Channel 7, after landing at Melbourne Airport.

The Today Show

✔@TheTodayShow

https://twitter.com/TheTodayShow/status/1183457459660214272

The NRL Integrity Unit is investigating Melbourne Storm player Nelson Asofa-Solomona after a violent brawl outside a Bali nightclub. #9Today

https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1183457459660214272
6:00 AM - Oct 14, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

See The Today Show's other Tweets

The Storm confirmed in a statement on Sunday night it had reported the incident to the NRL.

“Melbourne Storm has reported an incident involving a member of our NRL squad currently on holidays in Bali to the NRL’s Integrity Unit,” the club said in a statement on Sunday night.

“Storm has launched a full investigation into what has occurred. Storm takes these type of incidents very seriously and will not be making any further public comment at this time.”

Asofa-Solomona posted footage on his Instagram account yesterday from Bali.

He was posing with fellow Storm stars Suliasi Vunivalu and Tui Kamickamicka as the trio enjoyed drinks at Mrs Sippy’s bar.

The 23-year-old has become one of the game’s most devastating front-rowers in recent years.

4789eab7f26e140643b8264d90864a03

Nelson Asofa-Solomona. (AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts)Source:AAP

He was a star in the Storm’s narrow preliminary final loss at the SCG to the Roosters, running for 126m, making five tackle busts and two offloads.

A Kiwi international, Asofa-Solomona is scheduled to play in New Zealand’s forthcoming two-game series with Great Britain following a Test with Australia at Wollongong.

Someguy

First Grade
If the unprovoked king hit on vunivalu part is true then it would be interesting to see how Indonesian law deals with that

nick87

Coach
True.
When you are that size and fit,you dont even need to be that good of a fighter.you will stomp 99% of guys out there.

I mean, I’m not a fighter... I’m more of a lov... well no that’s not really accurate either

but whatever I am, I would cease to be it on the spot if I was on the end of one of those. Haha

Lambretta

First Grade
Given the girls touch footy side is on their own end of season jaunt it could be a week or two before Toddy can come up with a punishment.

The following may be be a factor

Sukkot (The feast of the Tabernacles)

Runs 13 to 20 October, so I doubt he's at work this week. Jewish schools remain closed.

Ross911

Juniors
I mean, I’m not a fighter... I’m more of a lov... well no that’s not really accurate either

but whatever I am, I would cease to be it on the spot if I was on the end of one of those. Haha
Yeah mate he d def be hard to handle.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Regardless of what happens inside the nightclub, you can’t justify walking outside then carrying on like that. Who gets involved in street brawls?
A) Brain dead bogans.

Should be sacked, but will be made a Melbourne co-captain.
Because they've got form when it comes to player behaviour like that.

Just look at how they rewarded Jesse Bromwich.

Last edited:

Lambretta

First Grade
If the unprovoked king hit on vunivalu part is true then it would be interesting to see how Indonesian law deals with that

Well Nelson won't have a case to answer. He has arrived back in Oz.

Indonesia aren't going to try to extradite someone for punching someone.

moffla

Bench
Well Nelson won't have a case to answer. He has arrived back in Oz.

Indonesia aren't going to try to extradite someone for punching someone.
Of course storm are going to fly him back. Whether or not it was defending his mate, it still happened. Would be pretty irresponsible to leave him there after it happened, regardless of circumstance imo

hunters

Juniors
Move him into the halves and he will be the next Clive Churchill medalist.

It's been done before!

This Year?

Immortal
I'm not so outraged as my post earlier after more of the story has come about. I still feel like there is more to this. Why would someone king hit Vindaloo unprovoked? Why is this guy with the bottle outside the nightclub going for NAS? What happened with security between these two incidents?

Ross911

Juniors
I'm not so outraged as my post earlier after more of the story has come about. I still feel like there is more to this. Why would someone king hit Vindaloo unprovoked? Why is this guy with the bottle outside the nightclub going for NAS? What happened with security between these two incidents?
That's right.the chances that someone walked up and king hit vinivalu for no reason at all are zero.

Latest posts