What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP NRL

no name

Coach
if he’d just said nothing, he’d have been fine too.

One team was going to get f**ked once he waved 6 again incorrectly. Either your team would lose 1 attacking chance, or gain 6 more unearned chances. I think the decision to correct it was probably the best outcome once. The incorrect call was made, but it was still a shithouse call and I hope it leads to some overhaul of the 2 ref system (perhaps removing so many f**king voices in the main refs head).

where I think most people are going way off the deep end is in declaring it the worst decision in history. Any incorrect decision that has directly led to points is worse than this decision.
I think it’s one of the worst decisions in history because he made 2 decisions on the one play.
I’ve never seen it before and hopefully I never see it again.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
IMO the wrong call was rectified
That's where I disagree. Like Danish said, as soon as Cummin's waved his arm in the air one team was going to get f*cked. There was no fair outcome after this and that's why refs wouldn't be allowed to change live decisions.

FWIW I don't think we were robbed of a premiership and I think the Roosters well and truly earned it. But I think it's fair enough to acknowledge we got screwed in that one situation.

carcharias

Immortal
That's where I disagree. Like Danish said, as soon as Cummin's waved his arm in the air one team was going to get f*cked. There was no fair outcome after this and that's why refs wouldn't be allowed to change live decisions.

FWIW I don't think we were robbed of a premiership and I think the Roosters well and truly earned it. But I think it's fair enough to acknowledge we got screwed in that one situation.

Screwed by not getting a call that was a wrong call in the first place .

Maybe the stupid rule should be changed.

what if he stuck to 6 again and the raiders scored but the bunker went back and over turned it?

would that be better?
Can the bunker go back that far?

Quicksilver

Bench
hmmm he is tripling down on his dumb post. can we get another one

You’ve spent over a week crying about a moment of split second confusion.

Not even a whole play as the kick had already been put up and that play mostly already defused.

If the correct call was made initially then it probably would have been just pass and hope. And they probably wouldn’t have even thrown it willy-nilly in a high risk play because there was enough time left to not warrant an all or nothing play. it was too early for the hail marry.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Screwed by not getting a call that was a wrong call in the first place .

Maybe the stupid rule should be changed.
No we shouldn't have got that call. We were screwed by not getting to complete that play without the influence of a confused referee.

I don't think the rule should be changed, refs shouldn't be able to change live decisions because of exactly what just occurred. I've never seen anything like this happen before so it can only be plain incompetence.

Game_Breaker

Coach
its against the rules to award 6 again to a team if their opposition never touched the ball

Cummins thought Tedesco touched it
The ref is the sole judge in those matters

Therefore no rules were broken

He broke the rules when he changed his call

carcharias

Immortal
No we shouldn't have got that call. We were screwed by not getting to complete that play without the influence of a confused referee.

I don't think the rule should be changed, refs shouldn't be able to change live decisions because of exactly what just occurred. I've never seen anything like this happen before so it can only be plain incompetence.

what about the other bit?
Would you have been happy for the bunker to go back and check the refs call...had he stuck to the 6 again call?

That way raiders get the 6 again
The correct gets made ...eventually.

roosters replay the ball on their own line.

nick87

Coach
The incorrect call was made, but it was still a shithouse call and I hope it leads to some overhaul of the 2 ref system (perhaps removing so many f**king voices in the main refs head).

And that's all that needs to be said.
It doesnt matter what did or didnt happen anymore... what matters is that the NRL accepts there is a problem and goes about rectifying it so that this short of shit show isnt repeated.

For that we'd need real accountability, ownership of the problem and leadership at the head of the NRL.

I am 100% certain if the NRL had of just said "yeah, that's not how we'd like officials to handle that in live play. It's unfortunate but they're humans, they make errors too, we'll talk to the clubs in the off season and consider how the 2 officials system works and how we can clean it up for next year" we wouldnt have half of the discussion on this as we've had... either on here or in the mainstream media

Danish

Referee
And that's all that needs to be said.
It doesnt matter what did or didnt happen anymore... what matters is that the NRL accepts there is a problem and goes about rectifying it so that this short of shit show isnt repeated.

For that we'd need real accountability, ownership of the problem and leadership at the head of the NRL.

I am 100% certain if the NRL had of just said "yeah, that's not how we'd like officials to handle that in live play. It's unfortunate but they're humans, they make errors too, we'll talk to the clubs in the off season and consider how the 2 officials system works and how we can clean it up for next year" we wouldnt have half of the discussion on this as we've had... either on here or in the mainstream media

Personally I think they need to define the role of the pocket ref clearly, and give them strict boundaries of what they control similar to touchies, and not allow them to stray outside their lane.

I’d also generally like to see refs coaching players removed or reduced. Refs constantly feeling the need to call out tackle count, players that are offside, tacklers to move, markers to get square, tackled players to play it correctly, kick chasers to stay outside the 10, and all sorts of other garbage is probably what led to Cummins thinking he had to immediately start waving 6 again despite him not actually seeing or even making a decision on if Teddy touched it (hence him audibly asking his other refs if it was touched while waving his hand).

refs should just shut up and let the whistle do the talking

Pete Cash

Post Whore
You’ve spent over a week crying about a moment of split second confusion.

Not even a whole play as the kick had already been put up and that play mostly already defused.

If the correct call was made initially then it probably would have been just pass and hope. And they probably wouldn’t have even thrown it willy-nilly in a high risk play because there was enough time left to not warrant an all or nothing play. it was too early for the hail marry.

i am only responding to really dumb posts. people are just making a lot of them.