What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP NRL

refs should just shut up and let the whistle do the talking

If that happened you would see a dramatic rise in penalties awarded in each game. Referees have been doing this for decades. fans seem to think it is a recent innovation since the referees were miked up. Well it isn't. Referees refer to it as control (mainly voice control) and they have been educated on how to do that since they were in junior football - be it Under 7s all the way up to A-Grade. If you expect it to change, sorry but it just isn't going to happen as despite what many of you might say or think, the players and coaches do not know the rules anywhere near as well as they think they do (and I mean that at all levels).

Valheru

Coach
Buddy, don’t be in denial

Waving a fist in the air is the 6 again call

When a ref needs to makes a decision he is obligated to make the appropriate signal, again these are the rules

Yeah he was asking if it should be 6 again. Maybe he is a gesturer when talking?

carcharias

Immortal
In that case, what’s the gesture for “I’m about to f**k over the Raiders with no Vaseline”?

That would’ve been more accurate

they f**ked themselves
The Ref gave them 10 against 12 men.
They failed to take advantage
Then they let the roosters go the length.

nick87

Coach
Personally I think they need to define the role of the pocket ref clearly, and give them strict boundaries of what they control similar to touchies, and not allow them to stray outside their lane.

I’d also generally like to see refs coaching players removed or reduced. Refs constantly feeling the need to call out tackle count, players that are offside, tacklers to move, markers to get square, tackled players to play it correctly, kick chasers to stay outside the 10, and all sorts of other garbage is probably what led to Cummins thinking he had to immediately start waving 6 again despite him not actually seeing or even making a decision on if Teddy touched it (hence him audibly asking his other refs if it was touched while waving his hand).

refs should just shut up and let the whistle do the talking

Yeah I wouldn’t disagree with any of that
These kind of stupid issues, that are self inflicted wounds, and take away from the game and the achievements of great clubs are all down to the constantly declining level of officiating

It’s a very hard job, I don’t dispute that, but the code makes it so much harder on them than it needs to be. You combine that with the genuine lack of actual talent in the referee ranks and this is what you get.

and I don’t think we solve that problem with Greenberg and Annesley giving the fans the Baghdad Bob routine

Chook Norris

First Grade
"Imagine if that happened in a Grand Final"

It did.

I find this is often referred to in try scoring situations where the bunker gets it wrong despite seemingly being an obvious call (e.g. denying a try when it very much should've been).

This wasn't even a try scoring situation.

It's shit what happened and there needs to be changes but the reaction has been over the top.

Last edited:

Danish

Referee
If that happened you would see a dramatic rise in penalties awarded in each game. Referees have been doing this for decades. fans seem to think it is a recent innovation since the referees were miked up. Well it isn't. Referees refer to it as control (mainly voice control) and they have been educated on how to do that since they were in junior football - be it Under 7s all the way up to A-Grade. If you expect it to change, sorry but it just isn't going to happen as despite what many of you might say or think, the players and coaches do not know the rules anywhere near as well as they think they do (and I mean that at all levels).

Oh I know we do it at junior and all amateur levels. I got my refereeing ticket a while back, but had to give it up when moving O/S.

thing is I’m fine with the coaching in amateur league. That’s required to keep a smooth game. In the pros, the standard should be higher.

refs should only have to focus on getting the decisions correct, not trying to shape a flowing game of footy. That’s up to the players.

if the NRL took a hardline, no coaching just penalties stance, players and coaches would soon learn to play by the rules. The game would become better for it too. If a player doesn’t know the laws of the game, it’s their job to learn them. It’s not the refs job to teach him on the run.

I can’t think of another professional sport besides rugby and league where refs coach the players so much. It’s bloody ridiculous

Latest posts