What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: MLB Postseason 2019 Thread

84 Baby

Referee
World Series ? lol

the seppos win the "World Series" every year bc they wont let any other merkins play
Name another club team in the world that is going to challenge the top sides, heck any sides, in US in a 7 game series, let alone a 162 game season plus post season.
I’ll give you a clue. There isn’t any.
Heck excluding some clubs losing players because of it, there’d be few NATIONAL teams that would go deep in playoffs

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Name another club team in the world that is going to challenge the top sides, heck any sides, in US in a 7 game series, let alone a 162 game season plus post season.
I’ll give you a clue. There isn’t any.
Heck excluding some clubs losing players because of it, there’d be few NATIONAL teams that would go deep in playoffs

you're defending these merkins ?

how do you improve if you are not allowed to play ?

84 Baby

Referee

If they were allowed to play in the same league, they’d be in same position as all MLB teams as it is anyway, filling their teams with a majority of North Americans, a lot of Central Americans and some Japanese/Koreans. I’d equally have no qualms about the AFLers or probably even the NRL champs claiming world champ status because the external competition is fairly minimal

T-Boon

Coach
Yeah if they win game 3 vs Cole it’ll have to be a cracking game. I can’t see them getting past him though

Well this turned out to be the case.
The Yankees bats did okay against him, got runners in scoring positions etc but they got stranded. I think the middle of the Yankees order (Sanchez, Encarnation, Didi) is not getting it done.
The difference is the Astros starting pitching is just that bit better and the Yankees batting has not gone to the next level like they were supposed to (Stanton in particular with injury and lack of production is a waste of money). Also the last two game Ottivino has been terrible from the bull pen.
I don't know it is pretty frustrating because I started supporting the Yankees 10 years ago when I was looking for a team in world sport that was the opposite of Parramatta (ie a reputation for being winner). Well the Yankees haven't made the World Series since.
Its not over yet.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
I’d equally have no qualms about the AFLers or probably even the NRL champs claiming world champ status because the external competition is fairly minimal

I agree with the argument you have made to date except this one.
The reason the MLB season final series gets called the world series is that Baseball is pretty big right around the world. Enough so for it to have been an Olympic sport. MLB would have representatives from most countries in the world and for example the Yankees are packed with players that don't even speak English. All the best players in the world go to the USA.
It is not the same for AFL. I would guess there are about a dozen players in the AFL not born in Australia and virtually nobody has even heard of the sport in other countries.

84 Baby

Referee
Well this turned out to be the case.
The Yankees bats did okay against him, got runners in scoring positions etc but they got stranded. I think the middle of the Yankees order (Sanchez, Encarnation, Didi) is not getting it done.
The difference is the Astros starting pitching is just that bit better and the Yankees batting has not gone to the next level like they were supposed to (Stanton in particular with injury and lack of production is a waste of money). Also the last two game Ottivino has been terrible from the bull pen.
I don't know it is pretty frustrating because I started supporting the Yankees 10 years ago when I was looking for a team in world sport that was the opposite of Parramatta (ie a reputation for being winner). Well the Yankees haven't made the World Series since.
Its not over yet.
Sluggers are the first casualty in playoffs because they’re predominantly facing the opposition aces I.e. Greinke, Verlander, Cole. I thought from the start Yanks would struggle because they don’t have the rotation, certainly not compared to Astros or Nationals

84 Baby

Referee
I agree with the argument you have made to date except this one.
The reason the MLB season final series gets called the world series is that Baseball is pretty big right around the world. Enough so for it to have been an Olympic sport. MLB would have representatives from most countries in the world and for example the Yankees are packed with players that don't even speak English. All the best players in the world go to the USA.
It is not the same for AFL. I would guess there are about a dozen players in the AFL not born in Australia and virtually nobody has even heard of the sport in other countries.
My point was that they are the clear premier comps in their sport and any team outside those comps would likely be destroyed if they tried under normal competitive circumstances.

And I doubt MLB has reps from most countries. Half at least would still be seppos. Most of the rest would north/Central American. It struggles into South America below Venezuela. There’s probably 1 or 2 Japanese/Koreans per team on average. And then a handful of Aussies, Dutch, Africans, etc in the entire league

T-Boon

Coach
Well obviously the Yankees have regressed relative to the Astros (and probably Red Sox who just had a down year and I bet will be back big next season) since 2017.
The big signing Stanton has not worked out at all. Batting has been disappointing when it counts and the bull pen has stunk.
Obviously the starting rotation is average but if anything they have over achieved this series.
Got to put it on the administration, batting and bull pen.

84 Baby

Referee
They’ve just haven’t picked up a good starting pitcher for a long time. I reckon they’ll really aggressively pursue Gerrit Cole and Chris Sale.
They’ll probably look at Goldschmidt too. Let Gregorius walk, shift Torres and LaMahieu around diamond

84 Baby

Referee
I’m on the Nats bandwagon. Excellent game. Thought Springer probably cost the Astros. Thought he could have stretched that hit off the fence into a triple if he didn’t dance down 1st base line

T-Boon

Coach
I’m on the Nats bandwagon. Excellent game. Thought Springer probably cost the Astros. Thought he could have stretched that hit off the fence into a triple if he didn’t dance down 1st base line

Yeah, I just haven't followed the Nationals throughout the season at all. It was all Astros, Yankees, Dodgers to me. I don't even know if the Nationals have won a WS in their history.

84 Baby

Referee
Yeah, I just haven't followed the Nationals throughout the season at all. It was all Astros, Yankees, Dodgers to me. I don't even know if the Nationals have won a WS in their history.
First time they’ve even made it. Their predecessors in Montreal didn’t make it either

Snoochies

First Grade

Who's not allowed to play? Players from every nation play in the MLB, the best players in the world play together, who are they saying can't play?

T-Boon

Coach
First time they’ve even made it. Their predecessors in Montreal didn’t make it either

I guess I’ll support them but I also want Astros to win so they have a down season next year.

You been to any games/stadiums?

84 Baby

Referee
You been to any games/stadiums?
Only the games at the SCG. I did a tour of AT&T or whatever it’s called now in San Francisco. The atmosphere they build up around their stadiums is incredible. I think the NFL stadiums are a bit apart but all their other stadiums are built into the cities. I couldn’t work in US, I’d just walk out and straight into a midweek game

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Who's not allowed to play? Players from every nation play in the MLB, the best players in the world play together, who are they saying can't play?

only American teams can play in the World Series, its never been any other way

Snoochies

First Grade
Only the games at the SCG. I did a tour of AT&T or whatever it’s called now in San Francisco. The atmosphere they build up around their stadiums is incredible. I think the NFL stadiums are a bit apart but all their other stadiums are built into the cities. I couldn’t work in US, I’d just walk out and straight into a midweek game
I was lucky enough to watch games at the Mets, Padres and Angels old Stadiums. Back then they were great but can only imagine how much better the new stadiums are.
Australia is slowly getting there with their small ballparks trying to emulate some minor league stadiums. Windsor up here in Brissy have done a great job. It's location sucks but set out well now.

T-Boon

Coach

From the cities I have been to I think Cincinnati is the best for this. NFL and baseball stadium 5 minutes walk down from the city centre on the river.
I got into a baseball game in Cinci for $7.
You are right the game day experience around the stadiums is amazing. Don't even get started about a college football game day experience.