What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

Matua

Bench
Joker - I can see why the reviews have pulled back a bit from the early hype (from a movie making point of view as opposed to politics).

It's a good film, I enjoyed it, despite not liking Phoenix and his overly actorly style of acting, but I think that in playing as a homage to the likes of Taxi Driver and King of Comedy it leaves itself being too familiar. I don't watch previews so didn't know it was a period piece and I actually think it would have been better to make it contemporary to differentiate it a bit more from those films.

I also don't think it's really a superhero genre film despite the character of the Joker. A solid 7/10 for me and my natural resistance to people overhyping films almost saw me knock it down to 6.8 but I resisted. ;)

Managed to avoid getting shot by incels but saw the film in a theatre of mostly Asians and Arabs.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
As above, I don't know why, except for the fact I've studied the paranormal for the entire 50+ years of my life, but THIS SONG RINGS TRUE to me

Never heard of Angelspit before but they've won me over BIG TIME.

Combination of industrial and a bit of drum n bass with minimalist vocals.

Right up my alley.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Watched this the other day.

When B movies were really good (story wise - probably better than the Hollywood crap we see today)

It was labelled here as Siege (1983) and no, not the Bruce Willis one.

A forerunner to the Purge movies.

Edit: It involves a group of disabled people and their carers hiding a gay person who was the witness to executions of gay people at a gay bar by a far right group during a Police strike in Canada. Gives a fascinating glimpse into how gay peple were viewed as late as the 80s.

Trailer

Full movie

Last edited:

Generalzod

Immortal
upload_2019-10-13_20-36-4.jpeg

On Amazon Prime fantastic one of Ridley Scott better films..

Attachments

• upload_2019-10-13_20-35-49.jpeg
    upload_2019-10-13_20-35-49.jpeg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1

mongoose

Coach
The Midnight Meat Train

slasher film with Vinnie Jones as the killer - the premise is hilarious and batshit insane. Worth watching.

shiznit

Coach
Joker - 8/10

Very dark... and if I’m honest it’s probably not the type of film I’d normally go and watch as I usually try and avoid depressing films at the cinema...

that’s just a personal preference of mine... when I make time to hit the cinemas... we usually have to make a bit of an evening of it as we have kids to organise... so if I’m gonna make that effort I like to enjoy myself when I go out...

I think certain films while great can be a little bit of a killjoy. If they are good films I’ll end up watching them... but usually at home where as I’ll go watch something a bit more fun when I go out.

This film would definitely be the type of film I’d watch at home...

I really liked it... Phoenix is phenomenal as always. It was really weird that I had genuine sympathy for him even when shit gets REAL dark.

You wouldn’t know it was a Todd Phillips film... :joy::joy:

Although i really watched the film because it was a famous character... it certainly isn’t a comic book film.

I’m interested to see how it plays out in awards season... IMO it’s good enough to win best picture... Phoenix should definitely be in the running for best actor.

The controversy surrounding it is interesting... I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing this year.

If you look at the two front runners for Oscars so far are Joker and Jojo Rabbit... both of which are considered controversial... Joker is sitting at 68% on RT and Jojo Rabbit was
in the mid 40’s until more and more critics started to actually see the film and now it’s at 80%.

I wonder if Joker will have the same bump now that the masses are starting to watch it.

T-Boon

Coach
No Country for Old Men... can’t believe it took me so long to watch this.

Javier Bardem could ask Freddy Kruger to give Jason Vorhees a blowjob and he would be down in a second... what a scary mofo that merkin is

You don't know what yer talking about.

Breaking bad movie - slow and average. Jesse was good but I just feel like the movie went nowhere, they could’ve done so much more

Smartest guys in the room - what a doco. Sitting here in 2019 I don’t think the corporate world has learnt enough lessons as I think there’s a lot of similar things bubbling away on the horizon. Great show

King hit

Coach
Just watched Snowtown. This is one of the darkest and edgiest movies I’ve seen. Superbly acted and shot. Really captured the mood and tone of what happened. Physiological film not a horror film, really puts you in the shoes of one of the killers.

I’ve been wanting to watch this since reading about it earlier this year and wasn’t disappointed

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Just watched Snowtown. This is one of the darkest and edgiest movies I’ve seen. Superbly acted and shot. Really captured the mood and tone of what happened. Physiological film not a horror film, really puts you in the shoes of one of the killers.

I’ve been wanting to watch this since reading about it earlier this year and wasn’t disappointed
I drove past the turn off a few weeks after i downloaded and watched this and it clicked just in time so i went and had a look.

They dont appreciate tourists very much