What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket Crap

Mr Spock!

Referee
Ben Stokes unloading on pommy media after they celebrated his heroics by detailing how hs mums former partner killed her kids.

Feel sorry for the bugger.,

This is his reward for winning the world cup and keeping england in the ashes

Ben Stokes attacks 'despicable' Sun story about family tragedy
England cricketer says front-page article about family trauma in 1980s is immoral

The England cricket player Ben Stokes has described a front-page article by the Sun newspaper about a family tragedy 31 years ago as “disgusting” and “immoral”.

In a statement on Twitter on Tuesday, Stokes said the paper’s decision to publish the story would have “grave and lifelong consequences” for his mother in particular. He claimed the story, which was also picked up by Mail Online, contained a series of serious inaccuracies.

“Today the Sun has seen fit to publish extremely painful, sensitive and personal details concerning events in the private lives of my family, going back more than 31 years,” he wrote.

“It is hard to find words that adequately describe such low and despicable behaviour, disguised as journalism. I cannot conceive of anything more immoral, heartless or contemptuous to the feelings and circumstances of my family.”

Ben Stokes

✔@benstokes38

https://twitter.com/benstokes38/status/1173893834377441280

7:37 PM - Sep 17, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

25.6K people are talking about this

Stokes criticised the article as “the lowest form of journalism, focused only on chasing sales”, and asked people to respect his family’s privacy and right to home life.

“To use my name as an excuse to shatter the privacy and private lives of – in particular – my parents, is utterly disgusting,” he wrote.

Hacked Off, the campaign for media accountability, said: “This is an appalling invasion of privacy with no public interest justification. We have been told repeatedly by newspaper editors that ‘everything has changed’ since the Leveson report seven years ago. It is abundantly clear that nothing has changed. Some newspapers are just as incapable of abiding by principles of human decency and basic journalistic ethics as they were during the phone-hacking scandal.”

“The fundamental problem is the total absence of regulation across most of our newspaper industry. The self-regulator, IPSO, has the power to issue large fines and launch serious investigations into breaches of the editors’ code, but it has never done so. This is because IPSO is run by the same newspapers it is supposed to regulate. There is no deterrent from newspapers acting in this way time and again.”

A spokeswoman for the Sun said: “The Sun has the utmost sympathy for Ben Stokes and his mother but it is only right to point out the story was told with the cooperation of a family member who supplied details, provided photographs and posed for pictures.

“The tragedy is also a matter of public record and was the subject of extensive front-page publicity in New Zealand at the time.

“The Sun has huge admiration for Ben Stokes and we were delighted to celebrate his sporting heroics this summer. He was contacted prior to publication and at no stage did he or his representatives ask us not to publish the story.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/sep/17/ben-stokes-attacks-despicable-sun-story-family-tragedy

TheParraboy

Staff member
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...new-six-year-broadcast-deal-streaming-service

NZ becomes the first country whose home broadcast deal is exclusively stream based.

Couple of questions for Kiwi’s;

How good is your internet over there? Is this a feasible option as the lone broadcaster?

How expensive is this? It seems madness to me that your home and away series are now behind different paywalls.

from that article, not over the moon appealing at this stage

There have been some challenges for Spark during the rugby World Cup with users complaining about the quality of the streaming while there are rural areas of New Zealand that do not have the internet connectivity available to access the service.

Meth

Staff member
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...new-six-year-broadcast-deal-streaming-service

NZ becomes the first country whose home broadcast deal is exclusively stream based.

Couple of questions for Kiwi’s;

How good is your internet over there? Is this a feasible option as the lone broadcaster?

How expensive is this? It seems madness to me that your home and away series are now behind different paywalls.

The Rugby World Cup is currently being streamed by the same provider. It hasn't been without issues, but it isn't too bad on the whole...at least not in my experience.

I think this is dismantling a company's monopoly on live sport, so it will ultimately work out better and cheaper for the viewer.

TheParraboy

Staff member
wont matter, we wont see another one

As I reckon we have two, three tops World Cups left in this format (50 overs)

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
74522295_10156652399905976_6271704768255623168_n.jpg

TheParraboy

Staff member
Seems to be saying the right things for now eg clean administration, more money to support the states, supporting Kholi

Time will tell

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/27907661/sourav-ganguly-takes-charge-promises-new-start-bcci
Sourav Ganguly takes charge, promises 'new start' for BCCI

Sourav Ganguly has promised a new start for the BCCI and to do what's best for Indian cricket. He was speaking in Mumbai soon after assuming charge as BCCI president, marking the formal end to the tenure of the Supreme Court-appointed Committee of Administrators.

Wearing his captain's blazer - he is the first India captain to head the board in 65 years - he pointed to the similarities in the circumstances under which he became captain, in the wake of the match-fixing scandal, to pledge a clean administration. "I'll do it the way I know, with no compromise on credibility and corruption. That's the way I led India."

Though his term is only for 10 months, he spoke of the issues piled up in his inbox. "Things need to be brought back in place, reforms need to be done, huge amounts of money need to be paid to state associations."

"We don't know what's happened in the past three years, we weren't part of it [BCCI], there were no AGMs or working committee meetings. We'll take note of everything and do what's best for Indian cricket."

Ganguly pledged his support to India captain Virat Kohli, calling him "the most important man in Indian cricket". "He wants to make this team the best in the world… We have to sit with him and see what he wants. We'll support him in every way."

Ganguly accepted his election result from the board's electoral officer N Gopalaswami in the presence of the three outgoing CoA members and the state associations' representatives. Ganguly and the other four office-bearers will now take over the board's running from the CoA - currently comprising Vinod Rai, Diana Edulji and Lt Gen (retd) Ravi Thodge - which was supervising the board for the past 33 months.