What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno assistant coach,,...?

getsmarty

Immortal
Shane Flanagan believes joining St. George Illawarra would be a 'great move' as talks continue

Written By Ed Chisholm
@ChisholmEd
FacebookTwitterEmailCopy Link
Getty Images
League
St. George-Illawarra Dragons
League
Premiership-winning coach Shane Flanagan has opened up on his coaching future amid strong reports suggesting he will link up with the St. George Illawarra Dragons.

After being cleared by the NRL to return to the coaching frame in an assistant capacity, following his deregistration at the end of last season, Flanagan has reportedly been in close discussions with the Dragons to deputise Paul McGregor.

After their worst finish to a regular season in the joint venture's history, a review into the Dragons' football department, led by mastermind Phil Gould, was thought to see McGregor flicked in the off-season.

The under-pressure coach was spared the axe however, with the review instead identifying better support around McGregor as a necessity, with Flanagan the most suitable candidate.

Having debuted as a player with the Dragons in 1987, Flanagan has acknowledged his close links to the club in the past.

And the former Sharks mentor believes a move to the club would make a lot of sense for him personally.

“There has been discussions and to be really honest I think it would be a great move for me at the moment," Flanagan told Macquarie Sports Radio.

"I made my debut back with Dragons in 1985 when the club was really successful - I think we had three grades in the grand final in '85 and '87.

"Making my debut with the Dragons obviously I've got a bit of history there and I’ve seen what’s happened over the last couple years and I do believe I can help.

"I’m not sure where it’s going to end up and if it’s going to happen but we’ll find out over the next week or two."

The Dragons entered the 2019 season as one of the sides many believed would be contending for the premiership.

The year did not unfold as planned however, with star forward Jack de Belin's court case for alleged sexual assault lingering in the background, and a number of injuries to key players throughout the year.

It all culminated in a 15th place finish to the season, the club's worst as a joint venture, with the typically passionate Dragons' supporter base protesting against the club and calling for McGregor to be stood down.

With a move to the Dragons looming, Flanagan gave an insight into the emotions internally at the Dragons since talking to the club about joining as an assistant coach.

“The Dragons are a really proud club. I had an off the record with Dean Young (assistant coach) and everyone in that club is hurting," Flanagan said.

"I know Brian Johnston and Paul McGregor are working really hard. It's not easy at this stage of the year.

"The players are hurting and the staff are hurting because they’re such a successful club.

"Everyone is punching behind the scenes at the moment and they’ll be working really hard after the Christmas break."

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...e-as-talks-continue/6v0smuu4xx0x11ai69xf8il7m

Yeah, he's getting cold feet.
He's finding it near impossible to consider playing second fiddle to an idiot ..........
......................can't say l blame him.

You read the article and the players and staff are getting a break from hard work until after Xmas.

Are they fekking kidding?

The rest of us get a couple of weeks and are still on call usually.

They play like garbage for the season, come second last and Mary gives them 3 months reward for services rendered.

Long holiday to the Bahamas to play golf at Gordon Seniors estate?

They will get up to no good.

No wonder this club is in crisis.

If I was bj, I would cancel marys extended festivus holiday and have most of the players training and learning to play football for 8 hours on a day, 5 days a week except for two weeks either side of Xmas.

The only free pass is to Cam until he can walk, then he can hobble behind the pack with his crutches.

They can be introduced to their new coach tomorrow.

Punching behind the scenes, mcidiots depression footy kicking in. They are probably all getting punch drunk.

The sad thing is that they are supposedly trying. Did they see how far that got them in 2019.

Trying under Mary is the same as being in a 25 year coma to the ordinary person

Last edited:

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
You read the article and the players and staff are getting a break from hard work until after Xmas.

They play like garbage for the season, come second last and Mary gives them 3 months reward for services rendered.

If I was bj, I would cancel marys extended festivus holiday and have most of the players training and learning to play football for 8 hours on a day, 5 days a week except for two weeks either side of Xmas.

The only free pass is to Cam until he can walk, then he can hobble behind the pack with his crutches.

Punching behind the scenes, mcidiots depression footy kicking in. They are probably all getting punch drunk.

The sad thing is that they are supposedly trying. Did they see how far that got them in 2019.

I agree with your thinking, mate.
All joke aside, the players should be punished for their season placing, second last. It should be made aware to all and sundry that the result was unacceptable so they need to start back training ASAP.
The higher up the table they finish, the longer the holiday break.

Of course, with all the weak knee sods steering the ship, it ain’t going to happy.

Bellyache would enforce it but not McPutz.

I agree with your thinking, mate.
All joke aside, the players should be punished for their season placing, second last. It should be made aware to all and sundry that the result was unacceptable so they need to start back training ASAP.
The higher up the table they finish, the longer the holiday break.

Of course, with all the weak knee sods steering the ship, it ain’t going to happy.

Bellyache would enforce it but not McPutz.

I agree.

Some people attribute the whole of the poor form to Mary but the players have to shoulder a lot of responsibility.

With a couple of exceptions, they just weren’t showing up much of the time. You could barely get odds for another sgi second half fade out. The rest of the league, we used to wait patiently for you guys to collapse in a heap and we rarely disappointed. It was like night following day. The way of the world.

They got easily distracted and lost focus in so many different ways. And they gave up playing properly many times.

I like your idea about earning your holidays. Most people get very limited holidays and many small business owners work years on end with almost no break or their family starve.

Sounds to me that your players have got it far too cushy. The odd break is fine, but this extended quarter year holiday when they play like that is shit poor.

There’s no consequences for them for tardiness and selfishness over the needs of the team.

it’s disrespectful to you fans and stuff.

they forget that sgi fans and members have expectations. Games are not a trial run.

You win or die trying, no excuses. 100% is the minimum effort expected even if you make the odd mistake. No one will disembowel you for an honest mistake or occasional brain snap ( poor hosty!) if you are having a go. Tough but fair policy is written in blood across all eras of saints and the Steelers.

Plus Sgi fans have a reputation for fan brutality. You boo and jeer your side off if you get a sniff of cowardice. You used to be anyway. This has to come back in force in 2020. The free ride is over.

Half of this side, I’m afraid, perhaps they don’t deserve to wear the jersey. That’s sad. And no one wants to come. Issac Luke? Ffs Great kid, but his best days are long gone- forgotten even. Luke is your ponga or haas? This is an rugby league atrocity.

The leadership group out there on the field, they should all be relieved of their command.

I hope part of their “punching on” includes the poor performers giving themselves multiple uppercuts.

Most of these blokes owe you big time. They are under the radar now, thanks to McIdiot, but they can’t hide forever.

I’m not trying to insult or upset anyone. Tigers is a turnstile club, we have our own pathetic issues.

But a few home truths or even Marys imminent departure next century or whenever won’t have the impact everybody desperately wants ( and needs).

A team full of rookies, sadly, Marys almost right about that.

Sharpen the axes, 2020 is showdown year. I’ve got to see your passion here and you deserve a hell of a lot better.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I think you'll find the majority will begin pre-season in Nov. The players involved in the up coming 9's and internationals wont begin pre-season 'till after Christmas/New Year break.

Flannagan, if he signs on, cannot commence an assistant roill until after the 18th of December.

I think you'll find the majority will begin pre-season in Nov. The players involved in the up coming 9's and internationals wont begin pre-season 'till after Christmas/New Year break.

Flannagan, if he signs on, cannot commence an assistant roill until after the 18th of December.

a good post yet:-

flanners said the hard work begins after Xmas, so some soft core counselling (“ pre season”) might be on the cards for November.

But they should be training all year except for a few weeks if they had any work ethic.

They way things are heading, you won’t be worrying about internationals and 9s next year, although they might have a go if Mary isn’t in their ears about trying.

Flanigan is an admitted cheat and if he’s coming ( hopefully), he would already be sniffing and sneaking about the place looking for angles, talking to folk. Mary must think he’s the anti-Christ or something.

Flaneiri wouldn’t just lob up on the day in one of those fresh court jester training uniforms and expect to be yelling well deserved abuse at your listless pack. Poor Issac Luke is going to be smashed and he wouldn’t know his way to Rockdale.

Bench
If Aitken and Lafai are still here next season they need to be told that if they don’t meet expectations then they are back to the CC
It’s time McIdiot grew a pair and demote players who are not performing some of our juniors are not that far away from being first grade regulars

tumbidragon

First Grade
It’s getting to the point where the Club looks to have lost all aspects of control.
Communication and connection to the fans base has never been so low.
Can't be right. Roy Marsters just put out an article about how the club gos out of their way to respond to the fans conserns... They must be a really hurt'n to neglect that virtue.
Best give em a 3 month holiday so they can get over the hurt'n, and build the strength to write out apology emails to members, and RL fans as a whole for having to sit through even a minute of the shit this shithole club churned out!
Not only this year, but the past 8...

BBTB

Juniors
How true is that..
The Illawarra side of this club is killing us.
No more membership from me....
No more purchasing of merchandise...
No more attendance at games.....
I'm fed up with this crap, bad attitude toward s fans.
We're treaded like the enemy, by these idiots, that manage our club.

Can't be right. Roy Marsters just put out an article about how the club gos out of their way to respond to the fans conserns... They must be a really hurt'n to neglect that virtue.
Best give em a 3 month holiday so they can get over the hurt'n, and build the strength to write out apology emails to members, and RL fans as a whole for having to sit through even a minute of the shit this shithole club churned out!
Not only this year, but the past 8...

Great post.

The club has gone as much out of its way to listen to its fans as an old mate flicking his still lit cigarette butt out of the open ute window during the height of fire season.

The Germans showed more mercy to the passengers of the Lusitania.

The Nrl needs to step in and sort the mess out.

RedVee

First Grade

You know the collective bargaining agreement between the RLPA & NRL gives the players 2 months break between seasons.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
You know the collective bargaining agreement between the RLPA & NRL gives the players 2 months break between seasons.

Correct.
Our last NRL game was on 7th September, so some of the team can start back soon after that. The boys who played in the CC finals finished on the 22nd September will join after that, then its those lining up for the Internationals and 9's that won't be back until after Christmas.

Yes, the hard work won't begin until the WHOLE team is back on the training paddock and as I said previously, if Flannagan joins us he cannot start until the 18th December, when they are just completing phase 1 of pre-season. His hard work wouldn't start until after the Christmas break.

The calm one

Juniors
Let me get this straight:

1. Saints can’t afford to pay out McGregor.

2. it can, however, recruit an assistant coach in Flanagan.

3. better still, it can also employ a “coaching director” (Gould)?

Yeah, right.
Who is paying for this. I thought we were broke then all off a sudden Gould, Flanno and Tim Sheen's are rumoured to be on the junket list. But don't stop now, the flame's
need a new dance coach, may as well put that on the junket list as well

18to87

First Grade
Aside from maybe some weights and light conditioning, I would be giving them a break.

Anything has to be better than the AFL style offseason training running them endlessly.

Latest posts