What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adam O’brien Confirmed

Knight76

Juniors
God this is going to be a long off-season. Reading more fluff about how we're going to be amazing. Can we just make the top 8 next year? That'd be great, thanks.

Yeah I honestly don't want to hear it.

Just shut up the talk and get the job done on the field. Worry about talking it up when you can back it up.

Knight76

Juniors
Good luck to O'Brien. I'm sure he'll be clocking on soon.

He'd be used to celebrating winning a comp almost every year.

Welcome to Newcastle. We are use to winning a couple of games a season.

Good luck Obi!

I'm sure the Roosters will still welcome him back to the sheds after the GF to say gday and have a beer.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Play guys where they are best suited.
Are we allowed to do that? Has he thought about where Kurt Mann will fit now? There is only 16 spots left.

Clearly this rookie coach thing will take some getting used to! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
dont see how Mann fits into the 17 unless there's an injury......

with Lino out I suppose he will slot into 5/8. Maybe the coach will select one of the young fellas. Crossland or Simi Sasagi ?

Good luck to O'Brien. I'm sure he'll be clocking on soon.

He'd be used to celebrating winning a comp almost every year.

Welcome to Newcastle. We are use to winning a couple of games a season.

Good luck Obi!

Uncle Nic only gets rid kf the dead wood when he ia ready.

How did Guerra work out for ya?

Loose Cannon

Bench
dont see how Mann fits into the 17 unless there's an injury......

with Lino out I suppose he will slot into 5/8. Maybe the coach will select one of the young fellas. Crossland or Simi Sasagi ?
That was kinda my point. That we may now have a coach who has an idea how to select a team.

If Kurt Mann spends the rest of his 3 year deal swapping positions in NSW Cup, then so be it. If O’Brien is willing to try him at 6 ahead of Lino, Watson, Crossland, or Sasagi, then I will reassess my judgement of his selection policy. But on his first public opinion re team selection, compared to our recent history; Adam O’Brien - 1, Nathan Brown - 0.

By the way, that goes for 9 as well, and 14, (also 2,3,4,5 & 7).

Loose Cannon

Bench
Based on the fact that he wants to play Ponga at fullback after having the luxury of seeing the experiment last year?

Revolutionary...
There was only one who thought it was a good idea. Took less than 3 hours to change his mind. 3 hours too many.

Frederick

Staff member
First interview with the new coach in today's Herald.

Anyone with a subscription able to post it up here?

First interview with the new coach in today's Herald.

Anyone with a subscription able to post it up here?
New Knights coach Adam O'Brien says he is not in the business of buying success and has faith in the existing roster and emerging young talent within the club to end a six-year NRL finals drought in 2020.

O'Brien's three year term as coach doesn't officially kick-off until November 1 but he has already arrived in Newcastle to begin pre-season planning.

ADVERTISING
inRead invented by Teads

In his first interview since being appointed to replace Nathan Brown at the helm, the former Melbourne Storm and Roosters assistant coach told the Newcastle Herald he won't be making any bold predictions about next season. But at the same time, he said he won't be talking down his side's prospects either.

The Knights haven't made the finals in six seasons and have won three wooden spoons during that period. But O'Brien has confidence in the roster he has inherited and the beefed-up coaching staff he has put together in a bid to get the best out of them.

"We are not going to be walking around telling everyone we are going to win the competition," O'Brien said.

"But at the same time, we need to be approaching every training session like we are going all the way. I don't want mediocrity anywhere in the joint and certainly not in our language. That doesn't mean saying we are going to be world-beaters though either."

The rookie coach, who has spent well over a decade in the highly successful Melbourne Storm and Sydney Roosters systems working under Craig Bellamy and Trent Robinson, says defence will be a priority, as will an expectation about everyone in the organisation working hard.

"I'm all about work ethic, I will be pushing the players hard no question," he said.

"They are going to be hard working because I know that's what's in them. I know that's what the fans and the region deserves and that's what the region wants. They want to stand on the hill and have a beer and be proud of their team at the end of the day. And the players want that too."

The Knights currently have four roster positions left to fill for next season following the impending departure of prop James Gavet to English club Huddersfield. But that could stretch to five if unwanted hooker Danny Levi also finds a new club.

O'Brien is giving little away about who will be targeted to fill the vacancies but admitted one of the positions will go to an outside back.

"We have lost Shaun Kenny-Dowall and Jesse [Ramien] and you play with five outside backs every week so we are certainly short in that area," he said.

"We have obviously seen the emergence of Bradman [Best] and Starford [To'a] who are both great young talents who I'm really excited about. But they are young guys and it's a long arduous season for young guys.

"So one of those spots will have an outside back focus but I'm not sure who it will be. We haven't got anyone targeted."

O'Brien also revealed he is not in the market for a five-eighth to partner skipper Mitchell Pearce in the halves despite Brown using five players in the contentious position last season with varying degrees of success.

"We have got a really good seven, nine and one and a lot of guys that can play some six," O'Brien said. "Connor Watson's a guy that can play there, Kurt Mann can certainly play there and I know Phoenix Crossland only played part of one game there but I look at him - there is a framework there on a body we need to work with.

"I've seen him and young Simi [Sasaga] in here training and Mason [Lino] - his shoulder won't keep him out for as long as first thought. I am more than comfortable that we have some guys that can play that six role in this organisation already.

"We've got to back ourselves to develop our kids that are here. We just can't keep going out into the marketplace and signing over the top of our juniors that are here."

Don't miss our full, extended interview with Adam O'Brien, only in Saturday's Newcastle Herald newspaper and online

Knight Vision

First Grade
New Knights coach Adam O'Brien says he is not in the business of buying success and has faith in the existing roster and emerging young talent within the club to end a six-year NRL finals drought in 2020.

O'Brien's three year term as coach doesn't officially kick-off until November 1 but he has already arrived in Newcastle to begin pre-season planning.

ADVERTISING
inRead invented by Teads

In his first interview since being appointed to replace Nathan Brown at the helm, the former Melbourne Storm and Roosters assistant coach told the Newcastle Herald he won't be making any bold predictions about next season. But at the same time, he said he won't be talking down his side's prospects either.

The Knights haven't made the finals in six seasons and have won three wooden spoons during that period. But O'Brien has confidence in the roster he has inherited and the beefed-up coaching staff he has put together in a bid to get the best out of them.

"We are not going to be walking around telling everyone we are going to win the competition," O'Brien said.

"But at the same time, we need to be approaching every training session like we are going all the way. I don't want mediocrity anywhere in the joint and certainly not in our language. That doesn't mean saying we are going to be world-beaters though either."

The rookie coach, who has spent well over a decade in the highly successful Melbourne Storm and Sydney Roosters systems working under Craig Bellamy and Trent Robinson, says defence will be a priority, as will an expectation about everyone in the organisation working hard.

"I'm all about work ethic, I will be pushing the players hard no question," he said.

"They are going to be hard working because I know that's what's in them. I know that's what the fans and the region deserves and that's what the region wants. They want to stand on the hill and have a beer and be proud of their team at the end of the day. And the players want that too."

The Knights currently have four roster positions left to fill for next season following the impending departure of prop James Gavet to English club Huddersfield. But that could stretch to five if unwanted hooker Danny Levi also finds a new club.

O'Brien is giving little away about who will be targeted to fill the vacancies but admitted one of the positions will go to an outside back.

"We have lost Shaun Kenny-Dowall and Jesse [Ramien] and you play with five outside backs every week so we are certainly short in that area," he said.

"We have obviously seen the emergence of Bradman [Best] and Starford [To'a] who are both great young talents who I'm really excited about. But they are young guys and it's a long arduous season for young guys.

"So one of those spots will have an outside back focus but I'm not sure who it will be. We haven't got anyone targeted."

O'Brien also revealed he is not in the market for a five-eighth to partner skipper Mitchell Pearce in the halves despite Brown using five players in the contentious position last season with varying degrees of success.

"We have got a really good seven, nine and one and a lot of guys that can play some six," O'Brien said. "Connor Watson's a guy that can play there, Kurt Mann can certainly play there and I know Phoenix Crossland only played part of one game there but I look at him - there is a framework there on a body we need to work with.

"I've seen him and young Simi [Sasaga] in here training and Mason [Lino] - his shoulder won't keep him out for as long as first thought. I am more than comfortable that we have some guys that can play that six role in this organisation already.

"We've got to back ourselves to develop our kids that are here. We just can't keep going out into the marketplace and signing over the top of our juniors that are here."

Don't miss our full, extended interview with Adam O'Brien, only in Saturday's Newcastle Herald newspaper and online
Thanks for posting.

Interesting he thinks we have a 5/8 at the club. I wonder who it will be. Seems very confident he can improve the talent we already have- at least for next year. I didnt expect him to say any different to be honest .

I'm sure it will take him the entire 2020 season to give an accurate appraisal of what talent we need moving into 2021. A heap of players are off contract come end of next year.

So many questions moving into next season. I wish the fella well and lots of luck - he's gonna need it.

Yosh

Coach
First move, get rid of Gavet. That's gonna get a lot of likes out of people on this forum. I wonder what his next move will be.

Johns Magic

Referee

ADVERTISING
inRead invented by Teads

Sounds like SKD made his retirement trade at just the right time.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I wonder what his next move will be.
I'd say baby steps on the recruitment and retention front. End of 2020 will be a different story though when we have half the squad off contract. I expect some major culling if the team doesnt aim up and grow a set of balls next season.

Personally I'd like to see a real badass MF added to the team. We're seriously lacking in the alpha male dept. Klemmer and Barny are our only borderline badasses but not lunatic enough for my liking.

Actually the whole game has gone soft....but thats another story. I sometimes forget its 2019.