What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20 Years Ago Today

Mr Spock!

Referee
Has it been 20 years?

ac339e0bea3c92c1c20ee8d81e6fa39f

Maybe Vic was confused about the tigers last finals appearance.

King hit

Coach
That super league stuff really disgusts me but it’s the way the world works. Rich get richer and everyone else suffers.

Someguy

First Grade
Guess the irony being that the 1908 season and the effectively the start of what we now call NRL was a breakaway competition motivated by money.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
It was twenty years ago today
That Sergeant Murdoch said you can't play
They had been out of the finals for awhile
And they're guaranteed to give a toothless smile
So may I introduce to you
The rabble you've known all these years
Russell's hopeless team's fans....

axl rose

Bench
Don’t worry Souths fans we all know you got your team back for 5 years before you sold your sole to become Russell Crowe FC
The best part was all the players who left pretending they were Souths boys again. Jim Serdaris, Roberts, Sean Garlic, Mario. There is no Rugby League without the Rabbitohs blah blah. They got the hell outta there (wisely) as soon as they could.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
The best part was all the players who left pretending they were Souths boys again. Jim Serdaris, Roberts, Sean Garlic, Mario. There is no Rugby League without the Rabbitohs blah blah. They got the hell outta there (wisely) as soon as they could.

I remember Serdaris blowing up saying he'll walk away from the game, I think he was keen to go back to Souths after Manly didnt offer him a contract.

If I recall leading up to the decision by the NRL, there were players like Iro, Wing, Brasher training with only a few other players. Its like some of the squad members didnt bother to show up knowing what was going to happen or they jumped ship.

After their last game against Parramatta, it was Mark Carroll and Sean Garlick's last game, both were pretty emotional not just because they were retiring but they feared Souths might not be around. They did a behind the scenes on the Footy Show and Craig Coleman's speech sensed something might occur, either merge, relocations or kicked out.

This had been hovering for a while, the end of the 1998 season, Neil Whittaker was interviewed and hinted Souths were one of the clubs for a merger, along with Balmain, Wests, Norths.