What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ryan Matterson possibly on the way out?

Vic Mackey

Referee
I really don’t see how a bundle of cash helps us. Any deal must involve a player swap plus taking a sizeable contract off our books.

Also love the way Moses has to open his mouth. The low human goes lower in my mind.

Yep, compensation makes no sense at all, we can’t put it towards the salary cap so what’s the point?

Sivo, Brown or possibly Paulo and we’ll talk. Otherwise get used to the Magpies Jersey.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Brad Arthur didn't show up because he knows the whole thing is a jerk off. The only option for Matterson is the Titans, the Eels is just to up his asking offer.

The only option is a player swap. Pascoe isn't an idiot, he know Tigers members would rather see Matterson in reserve grade than just getting a cash deal

Then again...$350k off the salary cap + a bunch of cash for the club's admin vs. a player in reserve grade......

Tiger05

First Grade
Yep, compensation makes no sense at all, we can’t put it towards the salary cap so what’s the point?

Sivo, Brown or possibly Paulo and we’ll talk. Otherwise get used to the Magpies Jersey.

I don't want any of them because I don't think they are what we need. I'd keep him based on that.

I could handle cash as a compensation but it would have to work something like this:-

1. Matterson gets paid 700k for the next 2 years
2. Parra have him on their books at 900k.
3. We can use the additional 200k for any player in our cap.

I think that this is better than a player swap because there are no guarantees the swap will work. We can then spend the 200k on whoever we want.

I still think we keep him though. I'd play him in first grade unless he tanks it. He was great last year and supposedly unhappy. Some people like being unhappy. Maybe it suits him.

If he doesn't perform play him in reserve grade.

phenisha

Juniors
I would say, yes you can have Matterson, but you also need to take either Packer, Renyolds, Mats, McQueen as well. This way we also get rid of a large chunk off our cap, and will work better than compensation.

Tiger05

First Grade
I would say, yes you can have Matterson, but you also need to take either Packer, Renyolds, Mats, McQueen as well. This way we also get rid of a large chunk off our cap, and will work better than compensation.

This is a really good outcome as well. Maybe they have to take two of them and they get Matterson on a reduced contract.

See how keen he is to go if he gets paid less.

Perth Tiger

Bench
We need to get the better end of the stick here and looking at the Eels roster, i can't see any reason why a player of equal ability to Matterson would want to come to us. They reached the semi's this year and will only improve next year... Like someone said earlier, the Titans are our best result with Arrow already interested in wanting out.

They probably thought the same in 2017 when they made the finals and then ended up with the spoon in 2018. There is always churn in the top 8 and the eels are no guarantee to go back to the finals.

Plus, I think it is clear now that players care more about getting paid rather than the difference between finishing 9th or first week of the finals (and fair enough).

Might not be able to get a like for like replacement like N Brown but would probably be able to entice someone they have on a smaller contract to come over if they have anyone that Madge rates, maybe someone like that Niukore?

super_coach

First Grade
I don’t like the idea of Matto be traded to club that already has a stronger roster than ours. Why give Parra a leg up if there isn’t a big fat juicy carrot for us. I don’t mind him going to a bottom 8 team except Penrith and that will not happen after they knocked back our deal to take their no1 off their hands at the last minute after originally accepting the deal..only to see him go to the Dogs

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
lol Arthur dropped him to Ron Massey cap then released him from his contract. I’d be surprised if he took him back and offloaded a player in the process

I would be very surprised as well considering their poor form when it comes to toeing the Salary Cap line but remember they didn't think much of Mitchell Moses, punted him to end up at the Tigers and then took him back with welcome arms, Parra's mantra must be - let other clubs develop our Juniors.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I would be very surprised as well considering their poor form when it comes to toeing the Salary Cap line but remember they didn't think much of Mitchell Moses, punted him to end up at the Tigers and then took him back with welcome arms, Parra's mantra must be - let other clubs develop our Juniors.

To be fair Moses left Parra when he was 15. Matterson was in the first grade squad under the current coach, fairly different circumstances

simmo1

First Grade
I wouldn't be letting Matterson go unless someone takes Packer or Reynolds at full freight too. The team will be mediocre at best in 2020/21 as long as we are paying these two (and Matulino) 20% of our cap to be in reserve grade.

Parra and Titans have no players I'd want. Arrow looks a great player, but he's now looking for his 3rd club in as many years. Looks like a front row version of Matterson who is injury prone to boot.

At least Matterson can't score tries against us in reserve grade.

Last edited: