What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno assistant coach,,...?

possm

Coach
If Aitken and Lafai are still here next season they need to be told that if they don’t meet expectations then they are back to the CC
It’s time McIdiot grew a pair and demote players who are not performing some of our juniors are not that far away from being first grade regulars
Why wait till next year? Aitken, Lafai and Dufty should be told this week that they will be starting in CC and so must win their spot through good form if they want to play first grade.

Just a question out of curiosity,
Who was your defensive coach this year?
Because Flanno is great at defence but woeful at attack.
We won the comp having Maloney, Barba and Ennis running that part.
Defence and attitude is what Flanno will bring. He learnt this off Ricky Stuart and dare I say was/is better at it.
If he is given full control of defence you will get to the finals no problem.

qld redvee

Juniors
Why wait till next year? Aitken, Lafai and Dufty should be told this week that they will be starting in CC and so must win their spot through good form if they want to play first grade.
agree 100% possm BUT if we dont sign a decent centre then guess what lafai and aitken win by default again .. remember supercoach for some reason doesnt want to pick lomax at centre... Fullback is a concern for us -- depends on how much input/ power our assisstants can wield over supercoach this is where id like to see their input re signings before supercoach fills the squad with plodders

TruSaint

Referee
https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...-of-shane-flanagan/1qjwas1kfu2u51rsok1nh7hqbn

Seems a done deal and if Friz is hapoy then talkd of him looking elsewhere ate probably just that.

Link for sporting news always deflects to spam.. Deal not done, yet.. Just Tysons say on Flanno.

St. George Illawarra gun Tyson Frizell thrilled by the impending arrival of Shane Flanagan

Dragons star Tyson Frizell is thrilled at the prospect of working alongside former Sharks mentor Shane Flanagan following the Red V's dreadful 2019 season.

An assistant coaching role is all but confirmed at the Dragons for Flanagan, after he was given the green light to return to the coaching frame by the NRL in September, following his deregistration at the end of last year.

With the Dragons ending the 2019 season with their lowest finish since the joint venture was formed in 1999, the club identified the need for change within the coaching ranks as crucial.

And whilst head coach Paul McGregor was narrowly spared the axed following the club's post-season review, the club moved quickly to speak with Flanagan about deputising him.

The experienced coach himself is favouring the move, having debuted as a St. George player in 1987, and believes he can help turn the club's fortunes around in 2020.

And Frizell, who played under Flanagan as a junior at Cronulla, says he's looking forward to the premiership-winning coach coming on board.

"It's good, I've played under Flanno at the Sharks when I was coming through there," Frizell said ahead of the World Cup Nines tournament.

"He's gone and done a lot of great things at the Sharks, and I think it would be great for our club if he could come in and help out.

"Obviously there's going to be a lot of changes with the playing roster and the coaching staff.

"I guess a fresh start and a few fresh new faces might help us out as a club and as a team."

Frizell likened the Dragons current situation to Parramatta, who after a dreadful 2018 season were the competition's biggest improvers this season, making the quarter-finals.

The Origin backrower knows how crucial adding premiership experienced individuals to a club is, like the Eels did with the recruitment of Blake Ferguson from premiers the Roosters ahead of this season.

And the impending appointment of Flanagan to the Dragons' coaching staff is something Frizell believes could be the game-changer for his side in 2020.

"I guess assistant coach is a different role but Flanno knows what it takes to get to the end there and win a premiership," Frizell added.

"Us as a team, I don't think any of our players have been there at the end and won a premiership.

"So to have a guy like him within the club that's been there and done that helping us do whatever we need to get to the end (will be crucial)."

Even amongst his heavy international involvement over the past week, Frizell has had ample time to reflect on where it all went wrong for the Red V this year.

Outside changes to the coaching staff, and possibly playing roster, the fast-footed backrower is adamant the players' attitudes will be positive when training commences again in a few week's time.

"The season that was wasn't ideal in what we'd planned, come to the start of this year," Frizell said.

"We had our eyes set for the top four and things didn't go our way and we didn't play good footy.

"We just let it get on top of us and we couldn't crawl our way out of it. I know we've got a side to push to the top of the competition.

"We can talk about it as much as we want now but we need to put in the hard work to get ourselves in that position.

"The boys will be hurting early November to getting it down and getting it right."

Slackboy72

Coach
Just a question out of curiosity,
Who was your defensive coach this year?
Because Flanno is great at defence but woeful at attack.
We won the comp having Maloney, Barba and Ennis running that part.
Defence and attitude is what Flanno will bring. He learnt this off Ricky Stuart and dare I say was/is better at it.
If he is given full control of defence you will get to the finals no problem.
If we had Flanagan's Cronulla-like defence this year we would be top 5.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
They can have as long a break as they bluudy well like , just as long as they return playing an attractive style of footy and become winners once again . Dragons to go all the way in 2020 !

Quick......................... someone call a doctor!
Our dear friend, G67 is hallucinating.
That Dragons board have a lot to answer for and its affecting the welbeing of our trusted supporters.

upload_2019-10-16_15-29-6.png

Sorry ole mate, the only doctor l could get in a hurry was a proctologist!

BLM01

First Grade
"And whilst head coach Paul McGregor was narrowly spared the axed following the club's post-season review, the club moved quickly to speak with Flanagan about deputising him'

Cmon..how close was Mary really!.

"I guess assistant coach is a different role but Flanno knows what it takes to get to the end there and win a premiership," Frizell added'
"So to have a guy like him within the club that's been there and done that helping us do whatever we need to get to the end (will be crucial)."

Not a glowing endorsement for Mary

You know the collective bargaining agreement between the RLPA & NRL gives the players 2 months break between seasons.

I didn’t know that, thanks.

But I bet there’s also clause in their club contracts says “players should have a go”

If they’ve breached that clause then the collective bargaining contract should not apply.

Even if the 2 months bludge clause does apply, the players shouldn’t rely upon it, because it’s taking the Mickey.

The youngster at work today who played with Duff and Host in the junior grades just laughed at me when I mentioned James Graham. He said he would be looking to offload him.

But unlike me, he likes the cut of the jib of “Superstar signing” Issac Luke.

Funny how people see the world differently.

If any sgi player exercises his god given constitutional and third amendment rights to 2 months off after that pathetic 2019 season, he’s a jerk. In fact he should be dumped to Reggie’s or offloaded to the titans.

Except McGuinness and maybe Hunt because his head is cluttered with Mary nonsense. Sailor tried hard too I suppose. He’s only a kid and this squad and coach are going to rear end his career. Shame.

Link for sporting news always deflects to spam.. Deal not done, yet.. Just Tysons say on Flanno.

St. George Illawarra gun Tyson Frizell thrilled by the impending arrival of Shane Flanagan

Dragons star Tyson Frizell is thrilled at the prospect of working alongside former Sharks mentor Shane Flanagan following the Red V's dreadful 2019 season.

An assistant coaching role is all but confirmed at the Dragons for Flanagan, after he was given the green light to return to the coaching frame by the NRL in September, following his deregistration at the end of last year.

With the Dragons ending the 2019 season with their lowest finish since the joint venture was formed in 1999, the club identified the need for change within the coaching ranks as crucial.

And whilst head coach Paul McGregor was narrowly spared the axed following the club's post-season review, the club moved quickly to speak with Flanagan about deputising him.

The experienced coach himself is favouring the move, having debuted as a St. George player in 1987, and believes he can help turn the club's fortunes around in 2020.

And Frizell, who played under Flanagan as a junior at Cronulla, says he's looking forward to the premiership-winning coach coming on board.

"It's good, I've played under Flanno at the Sharks when I was coming through there," Frizell said ahead of the World Cup Nines tournament.

"He's gone and done a lot of great things at the Sharks, and I think it would be great for our club if he could come in and help out.

"Obviously there's going to be a lot of changes with the playing roster and the coaching staff.

"I guess a fresh start and a few fresh new faces might help us out as a club and as a team."

Frizell likened the Dragons current situation to Parramatta, who after a dreadful 2018 season were the competition's biggest improvers this season, making the quarter-finals.

The Origin backrower knows how crucial adding premiership experienced individuals to a club is, like the Eels did with the recruitment of Blake Ferguson from premiers the Roosters ahead of this season.

And the impending appointment of Flanagan to the Dragons' coaching staff is something Frizell believes could be the game-changer for his side in 2020.

"I guess assistant coach is a different role but Flanno knows what it takes to get to the end there and win a premiership," Frizell added.

"Us as a team, I don't think any of our players have been there at the end and won a premiership.

Even amongst his heavy international involvement over the past week, Frizell has had ample time to reflect on where it all went wrong for the Red V this year.

Outside changes to the coaching staff, and possibly playing roster, the fast-footed backrower is adamant the players' attitudes will be positive when training commences again in a few week's time.

"The season that was wasn't ideal in what we'd planned, come to the start of this year," Frizell said.

"We had our eyes set for the top four and things didn't go our way and we didn't play good footy.

"We just let it get on top of us and we couldn't crawl our way out of it. I know we've got a side to push to the top of the competition.

"We can talk about it as much as we want now but we need to put in the hard work to get ourselves in that position.

"The boys will be hurting early November to getting it down and getting it right."
No mention of the fact that Flanno offered him pittance to him to stay and decided that Luke Lewis and Wade Graham were the better options.Flange was probably right, at that stage, but we all had been watching Frizz though the grades and knew he was the keeper out of all of them.
Sound familiar?

TruSaint

Referee
No mention of the fact that Flanno offered him pittance to him to stay and decided that Luke Lewis and Wade Graham were the better options.Flange was probably right, at that stage, but we all had been watching Frizz though the grades and knew he was the keeper out of all of them.
Sound familiar?

Off course. This is nothing but a nicely scripted media piece to regenerate interest for 2020.
At the moment our "go to" man for such is Friz. Not blaming him at all.

Off course. This is nothing but a nicely scripted media piece to regenerate interest for 2020.
At the moment our "go to" man for such is Friz. Not blaming him at all.
Frizz is a good un, always has been. When he was coming through our ranks people talked up Peach and others, f**k that, anyone who really watched them knew that Frizz was the one. He progressed with you guys despite the pitfalls, that says more than something.

TruSaint

Referee
Frizz is a good un, always has been. When he was coming through our ranks people talked up Peach and others, f**k that, anyone who really watched them knew that Frizz was the one. He progressed with you guys despite the pitfalls, that says more than something.

Both on and off the field, he is a class act.
Sadly, we get to see the best of his footy abilities only during SOO. Not his fault.

Again, I have nothing but respect for Friz.

RedVDave

First Grade
So I must admit I am very excited by the signing of Flanagan he is a smart guy surely he knows he gets the top job after 2 more seasons under fail Mary. Even if fail Mary gets sacked midway through 2020 or 2021. One can only assume Mat Head will be made care taker then Flanagan gets the green light (hopefully) and he is in charge from 2022 onwards. The only obvious downside is that we have 2 more mediocre seasons coming up however I think we will slightly better with this acquisition.

possm

Coach
https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...-of-shane-flanagan/1qjwas1kfu2u51rsok1nh7hqbn

Seems a done deal and if Friz is hapoy then talkd of him looking elsewhere ate probably just that.
There is still a lot to play out before we can start lifting our hopes for an improved performance on the field. For example what happens if the team still performs poorly? Mary is sacked and Dean Young takes over with Flanagan remaining as assistant coach. All those players who's contract is up at the end of 2020 will want to leave.

The best solution is to pay Mary out now and have the new coach and Flanagan work their magic to get the best out of the players we have - hopefully with a new fullback and one new centre to partner Lomax.

I have no doubt that Flanangan will rectify the defensive issues but have no confidence Mary will change his plan or have the talent to improve our attacking game.

A combination of Flanagan (defence) and Brown (attack) might just be the trick to give SGI fans some hope for season 2020.

possm

Coach
Both on and off the field, he is a class act.
Sadly, we get to see the best of his footy abilities only during SOO. Not his fault.

Again, I have nothing but respect for Friz.
Mary should have Frizell running wide of the ruck smashing through holes created by our middle forwards. Frizell should only occasionally cut back in towards the middle just to keep the opposition guessing.

TruSaint

Referee
So I must admit I am very excited by the signing of Flanagan he is a smart guy surely he knows he gets the top job after 2 more seasons under fail Mary. Even if fail Mary gets sacked midway through 2020 or 2021. One can only assume Mat Head will be made care taker then Flanagan gets the green light (hopefully) and he is in charge from 2022 onwards. The only obvious downside is that we have 2 more mediocre seasons coming up however I think we will slightly better with this acquisition.

WE are better off in the short term with his appointment, should it happen.

To be frank, we couldn't get much f**king worse than 2nd last.. That said, Im not so sure that even 2 years from now Flanno takes over.

In footy they say 1 week is a long time, let alone 2 years.
Flanno will do what is right for himself and his family. Right now, we have thrown him a lifeline.

Are we better off with him supporting our head coach next year? Yes. Lets see what pans out.

Gareth67

First Grade
Quick......................... someone call a doctor!
Our dear friend, G67 is hallucinating.
That Dragons board have a lot to answer for and its affecting the welbeing of our trusted supporters.

View attachment 33710

Sorry ole mate, the only doctor l could get in a hurry was a proctologist!

Lol ! , don’t go worrying your little head about me OKB1 , believe it or not I am drunk on paint fumes and the bluudy thinners that I have been sipping behind the back shed .

Ethel made me get the professionals in as she no longer trust my wobbly hands anymore. Although I like your train of thought - perhaps I could sue the club for bad nerves and get a payout .