What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World 9s 2019

thorson1987

Coach
They had ads at every NRL finals match
Loads of stories and ads on NRL media since the GF
I dunno if there have been TV ads, don't think I've switched broadcast TV on since the semis..
For better or for worse, it's been mentioned dozens of times in the news due to the Tonga saga

Not sure what more they can do promotion-wise.

Go knock on his door and hand him a bunch of pamphlets.

thorson1987

Coach
Yes, it is the point. How many sporting events have big billboards and advertising all around the city for months in advance?
Anyone with even the slightest interest in rugby league would know there are 9s on, and any one with the slightest interest in the 9s would know when.

It's like when everyone blamed the marketing for low crowds in the World Cup. I went to Canberra for a game and I couldn't escape ads for the games, they were everywhere.

Some people aren't happy until the NRL knocks on the door and shoves a poster in their face.

Lol. Didn't even notice this post when I replied to Kungl.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Having reduced number of teams and playing it on a Friday is going to be the impactor, not RL fans not knowing it’s happening.

jim_57

Staff member
Regarding jerseys it doesn't look like Samoa, Lebanon, France or Fiji are wearing anything new. Photo shoot has them all in last years design.

Also noticed on the Fiji NSW Cup page that Fiji are yet to train together 2 days out while PNG have been in camp for 9 days.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If this doesn't draw a crowd I'd like to see the Nines go regional to 10-15 thousand seat stadiums. WIN Stadium is hosting the international Aus Vs NZ game and would be a great location for it. I guess it comes down to how much the people in charge of sport here want it.

Even Townsville, Central Coast, Newcastle seem like good ideas.

it’ll be another 10-12 years till the next one so I wouldn’t worry about the next venue lol.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Is Vunavalu out for Fiji, the cuts in that photo looked pretty bad but I noticed he was still named in the squad today when they allocated numbers.

mikail-eagle

Bench
Two young PNG girls aged 16 & 17 have just been told today at the 11th hour that they can't play because they are under aged

Apparently the tournament is for over 18's but it was not communicated to the countries.

The 2 girls are devastated to have to train hard and come all the way to Sydney to play but will instead only watch from the sidelines.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
Two young PNG girls aged 16 & 17 have just been told today at the 11th hour that they can't play because they are under aged

Apparently the tournament is for over 18's but it was not communicated to the countries.

The 2 girls are devastated to have to train hard and come all the way to Sydney to play but will instead only watch from the sidelines.
RLIF + amateur hour

siv

First Grade
While over 18 rules in understandable in men's due to recent influx of Polynesian players into the NRL

The size issue doesn't really apply for girls

Also can't remember ever hearing that international RL was restricted to over 18s

jim_57

Staff member
I might be imagining it but I think I remember something about Xavier Coates playing for PNG but not being eligible to play NRL yet because of his age earlier this year.

Latest posts