What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Diesel

Referee
One of the lowest gf audiences on record, overall audiences down 6%, origin down 4% on 2018. Memberships down 4,000, crowd avg down 130 per game.
Lowest viewing numbers for FTA, but they don’t count streaming or Fox replays.

I’ve had Kayo this year and watching it live on 9 was terrible. Hopefully Ten gets a crack next time around

taipan

Referee
One of the lowest gf audiences on record, overall audiences down 6%, origin down 4% on 2018. Memberships down 4,000, crowd avg down 130 per game.

The irony ,the membership drops were in one team towns with two of them all seater stadiums.Three all Qld
Broncos - 1,700
Titans -1,900
Cowboys -2,400
Warrior -800.
Now we can offer valid reasons ,but the facts are they still contributed big time to the membership drop.Majority of Sydney clubs at least held their own or increased.Even the Dragons with all their dramas pretty well held up their figures.Sharks increased even though they don't have a you beaut stadium.:p

I would have thought Broncos by now would have 40,000 members in a league city.

Can't blame Greenburger for membership marketing or lack thereof in Qld.

I will say this ,retail expenditure is struggling in this country, couple this with drought, low interest rates, people I've found are far more cautious with their money.Even Pay TV is having decent churn rates and static growth, print media is struggling.The discretionary dollar has become even more discretionary.

I've just flicked Optus Pay Tv with Foxtel ,saving myself $1,300 pa.Optus are flipping hopeless, it's taken me nearly 3 months and counting ,to finalise the financials in shutting the subs down.

taste2taste

Juniors
I keep hearing the NRL is flushed with cash, how far in the black are we ?

Going by memory, am i right in saying 50mil last year, 40mil the season before and projected 60mil this year? Does that mean we have 160mil sitting in the bank ? or are my figures waaaaay off?

Back on topic, VLandys seems to be highly thought of by the clubs and the media, unless all these people have an underlining agenda, looks like he could be the man that finally moves the game forward!

TheRam

Coach
Thus we can only discuss areas we know about.That's why I don't like to generalise generalise and say no one visits, because in my area they do.
It still gets back to head office, and the state bodies ,and that's why it's important that V'landys gets people off their a*ses to preform these tasks.
I'm not arguing the point that the NRL is miles behind the AFL, when it comes to development work ,because it clearly is.

And that in the long term is where it counts. You win or lose on what you develop. If they develop 10 to 1 for example the win, which by most accounts is what has been happening and is happening. NRL, heads in the sand.

taipan

Referee
And that in the long term is where it counts. You win or lose on what you develop. If they develop 10 to 1 for example the win, which by most accounts is what has been happening and is happening. NRL, heads in the sand.

Agree and the clubs who are domiciled in their areas have just as big a responsibility to develop their areas.They are after all at the coal face, and can't expect the NRL to be the all seeing benefactor.
I think the non tackle versions and touch relationship plus girls now being allowed to play,wil offset some of the gains the AFL has made.Not all by a long shot, but at least a start.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I keep hearing the NRL is flushed with cash, how far in the black are we ?

Going by memory, am i right in saying 50mil last year, 40mil the season before and projected 60mil this year? Does that mean we have 160mil sitting in the bank ? or are my figures waaaaay off?

Back on topic, VLandys seems to be highly thought of by the clubs and the media, unless all these people have an underlining agenda, looks like he could be the man that finally moves the game forward!

2018 they had a nrl surplus of $42.8mill ($45.9 mill consolidated)
This year it’s rumoured to be around $32mill but we won’t know for sure until 2019 annual report is released which will be around March next year.

taipan

Referee
PV doesn't start til 31st Rocktober. He told Neil Breen on Nein when discussing the Everest horse head race, his NRL priorities new ,Tv deal, grassroots and some other thing which I cannot remember.
Hope he does some head kicking at the NRL.,marketing dept would be a good start.

simmo05

Bench
Looks like he is going to be spending a fair bit of his time looking for better glue factories.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yep It doesn't look good for the Horse racing industry...It's promoted with beatiful women with fine fashion good looking blokes in suites and hats all drinking the fine wines and foods while the industry is rotten to the core.
https://www.abc.net.au/7.30/the-dark-side-of-the-horse-racing-industry/11614022

like the greyhounds it’s just low morality humans abusing animals to make a sht load of money. Nothing that humans haven’t been doing for Millenia, one day we may evolve.

King hit

Coach
Probably means Murdoch will get a good deal on the TV rights.

Rugby League will always be screwed....Dave Smith was a saviour but was run out of town for trivial rubbish not ability.
He had no idea about the game and brought in these no punch rules and political correctness that we see today.

t-ba

Post Whore
The irony ,the membership drops were in one team towns with two of them all seater stadiums.Three all Qld
Broncos - 1,700
Titans -1,900
Cowboys -2,400
Warrior -800.
Now we can offer valid reasons ,but the facts are they still contributed big time to the membership drop.Majority of Sydney clubs at least held their own or increased.Even the Dragons with all their dramas pretty well held up their figures.Sharks increased even though they don't have a you beaut stadium.:p

I would have thought Broncos by now would have 40,000 members in a league city.

One team towns are bleeding memberships because they can't find Redfern on a map.

It's obviously the fault of the Sydney clubs that the 'future' is doing a shitter job than the 'past' at growing the game.