What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Esan Marsters released to North Queensland, effective immediately.

Tiger05

First Grade
I find it funny you take this stance when you were so enthusiastic about re-signing Liddle. There is a dozen worth sacking before Masters.

It all comes down to cap value. I don't disagree with your last point. It's just that he was fairly ordinary this season and if someone is offering a long term deal to a player we aren't comfortable doing that with I'm cool with letting them go.

WT Unity

Juniors
He is under contract to Dragons for 2020

So is Matterson (under contract)
So was Marsters
So was DWZ before he went to the Dogs
So was Mbye before he came to us
And so were countless others...

Being contracted doesn't really mean much!

Tiger5150

Bench
So is Matterson (under contract)
So was Marsters
So was DWZ before he went to the Dogs
So was Mbye before he came to us
And so were countless others...

Being contracted doesn't really mean much!

No but being wanted does. Of those that you listed, the only one that is/was wanted by their club is Matterson and accordingly he has not left yet (Club is wanting quid pro quo). Pretty sure Dragons want to keep Lomax.

Telegraph has reported he has been told he is free to look elsewhere

I get the kids had wraps for 2 years and was always the gun in junior rep sides, but i havent seen anything in first grade to suggest he is worth the hype. Very happy to be proven wrong if he sign him
Yeah Vic but the Tigers have had a few of them over the years as well. Even now we have Talau and Cini (ok, they have what, 1 1st grade game between them but I hope you get what I mean). Some have done well after moving on from the Tigers as well, so a change of club might be what he needs.

Tigers Tale

Juniors

I get the kids had wraps for 2 years and was always the gun in junior rep sides, but i havent seen anything in first grade to suggest he is worth the hype. Very happy to be proven wrong if he sign him

I am a bit like you Vic. This guy might be a good buy (should we get him) but he doesn't look overly fast to me. He made a break against us this year, just before he was knocked out, and I thought at the time it might be shut the gate but one of our guys ran him down. Point being we do need speed in the backs, Momirovski, Nofo, Mbye et al are not blinding.

Anyway, Lomax looks solid at best and if the Saints don't want him after what they lived through this year I am wondering how good they rate him....anyway, he can kick goals so that is a plus.

Tigerm

First Grade

I guess that's why you pay the coach big bucks to deliver these players?

Tigerm

First Grade
North Queensland recruit Esan Marsters has admitted he underperformed in his final season at the Wests Tigers, but believes he can get back to his best at the Cowboys.

Marsters has joined the club on a three-year deal.

“I think for myself, looking back on the season that I had, a bit inconsistent with some performances that I’ve had,” Marsters told reporters on Tuesday.

“But I think being at the Tigers for a very long time, I wanted to change the scenery I was in and just challenged myself off the field as much as on the field.

“It came up unexpectedly for me. I spoke to my manager and I spoke to my wife as well, just to clear up things, and to see what was better for me.

“I feel like I can play my best footy up here, coming to a new environment, working for my spot and just looking forward to new challenges.”

………..

I'm guessing he didn't offer part of his contract money back?

Ron's_Mate

Bench
“I think for myself, looking back on the season that I had, a bit inconsistent with some performances that I’ve had,” Marsters told reporters on Tuesday.
Yeah, Esan, a few of us noticed that your kicking could be kindly described as inconsistent. Others might use harsher language.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Its a pretty standard response when you know you have been playing like shit, want people at your new club to get behind you but don't want to knock your old club.

Good luck to him. Hope he absolutely kills it at Cowboys, then has a really shithouse game against us, then uses that as motivation to go back to killing it for the Cowboys...until he plays us again

WA Tiger

Bench
Pretty sure he had a bung foot for most of the year. Confidence will always be down when you're carrying an injury like that. I hope he bounces back, I've got no hate for the kid and I hope he regains form up at the Cowboys.
I heard that too ...But when I see a back or any rugby league player running backwards into tackles for most of the year ..bung foot or not they need to find another job with less pay or get off the field ..we had a ready replacement in Momo..lack of courage can filter through a team..not saying it did but it can...( he played virtually every game and he had the goal kicking duties so it couldnt be that bung. Every player has injuries...players with real injuries have to leave the field ..even they at times show some kind of courage when on the field..he didn’t even try to break tackles not once for the majority...he had a free ride all year. I didn’t see a limp even once ..Sook)

Last edited: